Skip to content

Everyones Specialty Recipe

Barber Shop Talk
22 8 2.7k
  • Looking for some new stuff to make and ideas from the lot would be great.

    This is my Chicken Marsala that I took from online and made some modifications. Usually it's stuff I have laying around or in the freezer. I keep Marsala wine on had for this. This is a bit different then normal Marsala because it creates a light sauce vs. a heavy rustic sauce. To me it tastes better then most Italian places I've eaten. Easy but good.

    1/4 cup all-purpose flour for coating

    1/2 teaspoon salt

    1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper

    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded 1/4 inch thick

    4 tablespoons salted butter

    4 tablespoons olive oil

    1 cup sliced mushrooms

    1/2 cup Marsala wine

    Directions

    1. In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.

    2. In a large skillet, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan, and lightly brown. Turn over chicken pieces, and add mushrooms. Pour in wine. Cover and simmer chicken 8-10 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink and juices run clear.

    I cover the chicken in plastic wrap twice to keep everything clean. Having a tenderizer makes this 10 times easier. I have also tried adding 2 oz of pancetta as well, which turned out good.

    I serve it with handmade garlic mashed potatoes and baked asparagus with cracked black pepper and parm cheese.

  • I will need to dig up my salsa recipe, it is guaranteed to burn your lips off!

  • I don't know about wines, would red wine vinegar do?

    Good recipe.

    A friend gave me some great salsa,,, but I still don't like it.

  • I don't know about wines, would red wine vinegar do?

    Good recipe.

    A friend gave me some great salsa,,, but I still don't like it.

    @calfoxwc said:

    I don't know about wines, would red wine vinegar do?

    Good recipe.

    A friend gave me some great salsa,,, but I still don't like it.

    You have to have the Marsala wine for the bitterness. You can't even taste it. It a cooking wine. You could try red wine vinegar, but that might make it too sour. If you try it with it let me know, from experience I don't think it would work.

    It will make you look like a chef for the misses, it wine is only a 1/2 cup and get evaporated. You won't even know it's there.

  • I will need to dig up my salsa recipe, it is guaranteed to burn your lips off!

    @mr.-t said:

    I will need to dig up my salsa recipe, it is guaranteed to burn your lips off!

    Love the homemade salsa. My ex's dad made the best homemade salsa. Let me know.

  • Looking for some new stuff to make and ideas from the lot would be great.

    This is my Chicken Marsala that I took from online and made some modifications. Usually it's stuff I have laying around or in the freezer. I keep Marsala wine on had for this. This is a bit different then normal Marsala because it creates a light sauce vs. a heavy rustic sauce. To me it tastes better then most Italian places I've eaten. Easy but good.

    1/4 cup all-purpose flour for coating

    1/2 teaspoon salt

    1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper

    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded 1/4 inch thick

    4 tablespoons salted butter

    4 tablespoons olive oil

    1 cup sliced mushrooms

    1/2 cup Marsala wine

    Directions

    1. In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.

    2. In a large skillet, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan, and lightly brown. Turn over chicken pieces, and add mushrooms. Pour in wine. Cover and simmer chicken 8-10 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink and juices run clear.

    I cover the chicken in plastic wrap twice to keep everything clean. Having a tenderizer makes this 10 times easier. I have also tried adding 2 oz of pancetta as well, which turned out good.

    I serve it with handmade garlic mashed potatoes and baked asparagus with cracked black pepper and parm cheese.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    Looking for some new stuff to make and ideas from the lot would be great.

    This is my Chicken Marsala that I took from online and made some modifications. Usually it's stuff I have laying around or in the freezer. I keep Marsala wine on had for this. This is a bit different then normal Marsala because it creates a light sauce vs. a heavy rustic sauce. To me it tastes better then most Italian places I've eaten. Easy but good.

    1/4 cup all-purpose flour for coating

    1/2 teaspoon salt

    1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper

    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded 1/4 inch thick

    4 tablespoons salted butter

    4 tablespoons olive oil

    1 cup sliced mushrooms

    1/2 cup Marsala wine

    Directions

    1. In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.

    2. In a large skillet, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan, and lightly brown. Turn over chicken pieces, and add mushrooms. Pour in wine. Cover and simmer chicken 8-10 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink and juices run clear.

    I cover the chicken in plastic wrap twice to keep everything clean. Having a tenderizer makes this 10 times easier. I have also tried adding 2 oz of pancetta as well, which turned out good.

    I serve it with handmade garlic mashed potatoes and baked asparagus with cracked black pepper and parm cheese.

    This looks pretty good.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    Looking for some new stuff to make and ideas from the lot would be great.

    This is my Chicken Marsala that I took from online and made some modifications. Usually it's stuff I have laying around or in the freezer. I keep Marsala wine on had for this. This is a bit different then normal Marsala because it creates a light sauce vs. a heavy rustic sauce. To me it tastes better then most Italian places I've eaten. Easy but good.

    1/4 cup all-purpose flour for coating

    1/2 teaspoon salt

    1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper

    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded 1/4 inch thick

    4 tablespoons salted butter

    4 tablespoons olive oil

    1 cup sliced mushrooms

    1/2 cup Marsala wine

    Directions

    1. In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.

    2. In a large skillet, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan, and lightly brown. Turn over chicken pieces, and add mushrooms. Pour in wine. Cover and simmer chicken 8-10 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink and juices run clear.

    I cover the chicken in plastic wrap twice to keep everything clean. Having a tenderizer makes this 10 times easier. I have also tried adding 2 oz of pancetta as well, which turned out good.

    I serve it with handmade garlic mashed potatoes and baked asparagus with cracked black pepper and parm cheese.

    This looks pretty good.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    This looks pretty good.

    And it's easy as shit. Fry the chicken and throw everything in a skillet. It will make you look like a chef. Trust me, give it a try.

  • I like to cook....but have have had a few bourbons......I have a lot of special recipes...I have gone to cooking school as vacations....Rome and Paris.....I'll share at a better time.

    Plus, I am a son of the South with some Cajun blood....I make a pretty damn good Gumbo....so I have been told a few hundred times over the years..

  • I like to cook....but have have had a few bourbons......I have a lot of special recipes...I have gone to cooking school as vacations....Rome and Paris.....I'll share at a better time.

    Plus, I am a son of the South with some Cajun blood....I make a pretty damn good Gumbo....so I have been told a few hundred times over the years..

    @ballpeen said:

    I like to cook....but have have had a few bourbons......I have a lot of special recipes...I have gone to cooking school as vacations....Rome and Paris.....I'll share at a better time.

    Plus, I am a son of the South with some Cajun blood....I make a pretty damn good Gumbo....so I have been told a few hundred times over the years..

    Yea let me know Peen, always looking for some new stuff to cook.

  • That Gumbo sounds good. How about a Cajun Red Beans and Rice?

  • My favorite special recipe, is our "hunky junk"...

    Browned, crumpled Jimmy Dean *sage sausage, one or two packages, and a whole lot of chunked green tomatoes and banana peppers, saute' it

    all up well, and it's a great "sloppy joe", you can use sweet banana peppers or mix in semi-hots per your taste.

    It's simple, but a lot of friends love it, and ask me to make it for the social get-togethers

  • That Gumbo sounds good. How about a Cajun Red Beans and Rice?

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    That Gumbo sounds good. How about a Cajun Red Beans and Rice?

    You bet.....the gumbo is long....and takes practice to be honest....

    here is a quick red beans and rice.

    1 can kidney beans

    1/4 cup olive oil

    1 large onion, chopped

    1 green bell pepper, chopped

    2 cloves minced garlic

    2 stalks celery, chopped

    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

    1 teaspoon dried thyme

    1/4 teaspoon dried sage

    1 tablespoon dried parsley

    1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning

    1 pound andouille or smoked sausage, sliced

    2 cups water

    2 cups chicken broth

    2 cups long grain white rice

    In the oil, saute the veggies, garlic and spice over med heat until soft....maybe 4-5 minutes.....hold the garlic until near the end of the process so it doesn't burn....it will finish cooking out as you finish cooking the mixture.

    In separate pan cook the sausage....it's already cooked, you are just browning and rendering down.

    Add sausage and beans to the trinity mixture(veggies) and cook on low heat to blend flavors(you may need to add a bit more water or chicken broth to give you the consistency you like.

    Serve over the rice. Cook the rice in 2 cups water and 2 cups broth until done.

    Maybe a mess of turnip greens and onion cooked with one strip of bacon, along with a few cold beers and you are set.

  • Howie's Gorgeous Gyoza

    When anyone needs cheering up in my house, this is what I get going on. Lovely steamed dumplings.

    For the dumpling skins:

    Strong white flower

    Warm water

    Make up enough to make a softball sized ball of dough. The dough should be as soft as your ear lobe. set it aside for 30 mins under a damp cloth while you make the filling.

    Filling:

    Good quality pork mince (not too lean - you need some fat)

    cabbage - handful or two finely sliced / shredded

    palmfull of sesame seeds - toasted.

    Chopped stalk of lemon grass.

    Garlic - lots

    Bird eye chillis - as many as you can bear - finely chopped

    Nam Pla - Fish sauce, couple table sppons

    Squirt of honey

    salt / pepper

    sesame oil - few swigs

    Optional - some prawns - shrimps I think you call them

    dark soy sauce - a good squirting

    Vinegar - few splashes

    Root ginger - loads - about 4 thumbs worth.

    Mix all of the above in a food processor on pulse - don't make it all smooth as the texture is not great if you do. Mix the non meat ingredients to a smooth paste and hand mix it with the meat if possible.

    Go back to the dough, break of small balls and roll out a disc shape, spoon in some mixture and seal.

    Foir the cooking it's easy.

    Solid base pan with plenty of sesame oil in it, get up to a good heat, place the dumplings into the hot oil on a medium heat, enough dumplings to fill the base. When the dumplings have a nicely golden bottom, pour a cup of water into the pan until it covers the entire base with about a cm of water. cover with tin foil and cook on medium heat until the water has evaporated.

    Serve with a bowl of rice vingegar with shredded ginger.

    I'm dripping from the moth with anticipation - man they taste good.

  • My wife is Japanese, I've been eating Gyoza for years. Great stuff.

  • I bet she'd laugh at my recipe! But we like it!

  • Ingredients

    * 1 pound bulk Italian sausage..............Hint: Italian sausage links with casings removed crumbles easier

    * 1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage......Same hint as above

    * 4 garlic cloves, minced

    * 1 cup chopped green pepper

    * 1/2 cup chopped onion

    * 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce

    * 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

    * 1 teaspoon dried oregano

    * 1/2 teaspoon chili powder

    * 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed

    * 8 to 10 French or submarine rolls, split...I like Kaiser rolls

    * 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese...get the finely shredded

    Directions

    * In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook sausage, garlic, green pepper and onion over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink (I add the garlic, peppers, & onions about 1/2 way through the browning); drain. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each roll; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8-10 servings.

    These babies are GREAT sloppy joes!

    Mike

  • I have a recipe for a good time, (btw, I'm looking forward to you making that last recipe one day, Mike...)..

    it requires Canton Mike to own a little bulldozer, so I can put in a fishing pond on the back part of our soybean field... GGG

  • I have a recipe for a good time, (btw, I'm looking forward to you making that last recipe one day, Mike...)..

    it requires Canton Mike to own a little bulldozer, so I can put in a fishing pond on the back part of our soybean field... GGG

    @calfoxwc said:

    I have a recipe for a good time, (btw, I'm looking forward to you making that last recipe one day, Mike...)..

    it requires Canton Mike to own a little bulldozer, so I can put in a fishing pond on the back part of our soybean field... GGG

    Mike,

    Say the word & I'll make up a batch....a BIG batch!

    LOL!...I don't own a 'dozer, but my oldest daughter's "other half" has all that stuff....."diggers" as my 2 year old namesake calls 'em.

    Mike

  • I like to cook....but have have had a few bourbons......I have a lot of special recipes...I have gone to cooking school as vacations....Rome and Paris.....I'll share at a better time.

    Plus, I am a son of the South with some Cajun blood....I make a pretty damn good Gumbo....so I have been told a few hundred times over the years..

    @ballpeen said:

    I like to cook....but have have had a few bourbons......I have a lot of special recipes...I have gone to cooking school as vacations....Rome and Paris.....I'll share at a better time.

    Plus, I am a son of the South with some Cajun blood....I make a pretty damn good Gumbo....so I have been told a few hundred times over the years..

    😆 As you might guess. "I like to cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food."

    Well, I have a severe aversion to any type of food that came out of water- can't explain it- almost thought I could eat grilled swordfish way back, but I was wrong. 🙁 So Gumbo is out. 🙁

    Now it's strictly commercial, but what I DO like when I go Cajun is to get a bottle of Paul Prudohomme's Blackened Steak Magic, & follow the directions. Load up a ribeye with butter & that seasoning and plop it on my blackened skillet on the grill out in the yard @ max heat. I'll probably start a Holy War mentioning this, but I do know a thing or two about grilling-learned a few tricks from our "Best in Ohio" steakhouse here in Dayton The Pine Club- you can't get a grill too hot. I put that blackened skillet right on top of the lava rocks, blast away @ 42,000 BTU and it's 2-3 minutes a side for rare, depending on the thickness of the cut of cow.

    Kidding aside, I'll share this terrific steak sauce recipe I got from a friend in a separate post.

  • OK, as promised-

    Quick Madeira Gravy

    6 oz jar of sliced mushrooms, drained

    (if you want to be non-quick, 1 cup of sliced fresh mushrooms sauteed in butter)

    2T butter

    2T flour

    2T tomato paste

    1 10 oz can of Campbell's beef consomme

    1/2 Cup Madeira And from the head wino- here's the rule- "If you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it."

    break down and get a REAL Madeira (there's various grades but I use Rainwater)

    it will keep damn near forever in the 'fridge if it's corked up.

    Brown flour in butter slowly until medium brown

    Slowly add consomme & stir constantly to avoid lumpiness

    Add tomato paste

    Add Madeira and simmer (stirring) 5 minutes- add small amounts of water if it gets too thick

    Add mushrooms

    You can prepare this ahead of time and add water when ready to serve- it also stores well in the 'fridge, but you need to add water on re-heat.

    Goes terrific with a oven roasted tenderloin, or fillets on the grill.