Skip to content

World Cup

Barber Shop Talk
36 11 4.5k
  • Awesome game !

    to anyone who missed the game - We had a fair goal disallowed for the SECOND time in the tournament and we scored a goal 2 mins before the game ended to make it through to the next round !

    WOW !

    Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @brownindian said:

    Awesome game !

    to anyone who missed the game - We had a fair goal disallowed foentr the SECOND time in the tournam and we scored a goal 2 mins before the game ended to make it through to the next round !

    WOW !

    Yea I didn't mind this call as much. This is a mistake that can be made with off sides. This time no one was getting mugged and tackled and the call goes on US.

  • VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Second round. xxxx yeah. 80-90 was among the most depressing 10 minutes of my sports fan career.

  • Second round. xxxx yeah. 80-90 was among the most depressing 10 minutes of my sports fan career.

    Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @vaportrail said:

    Second round. xxxx yeah. 80-90 was among the most depressing 10 minutes of my sports fan career.

    Yea but 90-92 could be some of the best.

  • C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
    #17

    IMHO, a nice run - assuming this hasn't already been a nice run - might be what is needed to bring The World Cup to prominence among US residents.

    That would be the 'top down' compliment to the 'bottom up' role played by local recreation league, high school, etc. leagues.

    I don't believe the 'bottom up' approach, alone, will ever do it.

  • BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Who do you think stands the most chance of winning the world cup ?

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Didn't see it, but I am glad "we" won.

  • Didn't see it, but I am glad "we" won.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @the-gipper said:

    Didn't see it, but I am glad "we" won.

    Gip, that goal was the equivalent of a two out bottom of the ninth home run, or a TD on the last play of the game. And that goal means "we" as a country have finally arrived on the world stage.

    It's not just a "glad to be here" thing. We have higher expectations now.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Yep.....think Byner scoring the TD rather than fumbling at the 1.

  • Yep.....think Byner scoring the TD rather than fumbling at the 1.

    Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @ballpeen said:

    Yep.....think Byner scoring the TD rather than fumbling at the 1.

    That is what happened when we were watching, everyone was jumping up pounding fists and smacking hi 5s, I just sat there and wanted to punch that sissy Slaughter in the face more missing his block and our trip to the big show.

  • VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by VaporTrail
    #23

    Blah, wrong topic. Gotta beat Ghana, now.

  • IMHO, a nice run - assuming this hasn't already been a nice run - might be what is needed to bring The World Cup to prominence among US residents.

    That would be the 'top down' compliment to the 'bottom up' role played by local recreation league, high school, etc. leagues.

    I don't believe the 'bottom up' approach, alone, will ever do it.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @chicopee-john said:

    IMHO, a nice run - assuming this hasn't already been a nice run - might be what is needed to bring The World Cup to prominence among US residents.

    That would be the 'top down' compliment to the 'bottom up' role played by local recreation league, high school, etc. leagues.

    I don't believe the 'bottom up' approach, alone, will ever do it.

    I think there was a really good take on cleveland.com about soccer- at least now the sport is getting as much recognition in the USA as the Olympics. Everybody seems to be watching.

    BTW, don't want to get too far ahead, but the United States got a real favorable draw in the knockout stage. If they can get by Ghana, and probably Uruguay, they wouldn't have to play Brazil until the semifinals.

  • BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
    #25

    We have a good chance of advancing ... With a bit of luck and teamwork who knows .... this might be our year.

  • Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Congrats to Ghana. Great game. At least the US is now seen as somewhat as a power in Soccer in the World and are not a joke. Good game lads.

  • cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by
    #27

    I wasn't a soccer fan before the cup, but I have really enjoyed watching the game, I learned a lot the last 2 weeks about it. I think all those guys really earn their money playing 45 minutes plus at a time.

  • Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #28

    soccer.jpg

    I really wish to move this thread.

    My reason here!

  • soccer.jpg

    I really wish to move this thread.

    My reason here!

    Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by Kosar_For_President
    #29

    @mr.-t said:

    soccer.jpg

    I really wish to move this thread.

    My reason here!

    Yea I can't explain it. Growing up in another country provided me with a great experience on why soccer is a great sport. Playing soccer gave be the edge when I played basketball.

    I bet you are now going to tell me that NASCAR takes more athletic ability then soccer.

    There are so many things wrong with this website, I don't know where to start. I didn't know Die Hard can put together websites.

  • HowieDawgH HowieDawg wrote on last edited by
    #30

    I understand why you would take a shot at our kind of football but they are just worlds apart and can't be compared - a sport that has billions of followers can't be dismissed out of hand. Anyway, I just watched England get spanked by the Germans so I don't want to watch another "soccer" game for at least 4 years.

    C'mon you Browns!!!!!

  • VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
    #31

    Go away T.

    Anyways, I'm happy that we made it out of the group stage. We just need better strikers, we had a bunch of chances (against Algeria too) that Findley and Jozy just blew by kicking it straight at the keeper.

    Also, replay needs to be allowed, the tea sucking English got hosed. Off to watch Mexico and Argentina.

  • @mr.-t said:

    soccer.jpg

    I really wish to move this thread.

    My reason here!

    Yea I can't explain it. Growing up in another country provided me with a great experience on why soccer is a great sport. Playing soccer gave be the edge when I played basketball.

    I bet you are now going to tell me that NASCAR takes more athletic ability then soccer.

    There are so many things wrong with this website, I don't know where to start. I didn't know Die Hard can put together websites.

    Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @kosar_for_president said:

    Yea I can't explain it. Growing up in another country provided me with a great experience on why soccer is a great sport. Playing soccer gave be the edge when I played basketball.

    I bet you are now going to tell me that NASCAR takes more athletic ability then soccer.

    There are so many things wrong with this website, I don't know where to start. I didn't know Die Hard can put together websites.

    You guys need to lighten up, And no I dont like Nascar either.

    Go Browns... I love american football! not kickball.

  • BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
    #33

    This world-cup is filled with more refereeing controversies than memorable moments.