Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Clifton Geathers signed...

Clifton Geathers signed...

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
9 Posts 8 Posters 1.4k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • BrownsBacker85 BrownsBacker85B
    • 120 Posts
    • 1 Reputation
    BrownsBacker85B BrownsBacker85 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Cleveland Browns sign rookie Clifton Geathers to multi-year contract

    Published: Monday, June 28, 2010, 6:24 PM Updated: Monday, June 28, 2010, 7:55 PM

    Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

    BEREA, Ohio -- The Browns signed their last draft pick first. Or maybe they're going in order from biggest to smallest.

    They signed massive defensive lineman Clifton Geathers, their sixth-round pick, to a multi-year deal, the team announced on Monday. He's the first of their eight draft picks to sign.

    On draft day, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert called the 6-7, 300-pound Geathers "a monster" and referred to his untapped potential. Head coach Eric Mangini said during minicamp that Geathers will need to learn to use his size to his advantage.

    "He is a giant man ... a big, big man and he has got long arms," Mangini said. "What he has to focus on is when you are that tall and have arms like that, how to use them effectively. Your height naturally brings you up above the offensive lineman. You have to get used to and really train your body to stay low because whoever has the leverage is going to win.

    "You love the size, you love the length, those things are really positive things. Understanding how he has to play, which is different than some other guys. You add a couple of inches either way, it changes things. That's what we are trying to do with him."

    On draft day, Geathers was refreshingly candid, saying "they tell me I could be the next Julius [Peppers] or Jumpy Geathers [his uncle]." He also said that with enough hard work and determination, "I'll be the best player, probably in the league, if I'm able to do that."

    Geathers, who's working at end, toned it down by the time he got to Berea, but still flashed his competitive streak. During rookie camp, he pancaked a free-agent punter on a kickoff drill, and during minicamp, he threw punches at an offensive lineman -- for which he was admonished.

    "I'm taking one day at a time," Geathers said. "Just trying to get better each day. I mean, coming from college is a big step. So it's really hard."

    1 Reply Last reply
    ❤
    Quote Reply
    • TheClevelandSound TheClevelandSoundT
      • 2k Posts
      • 29 Reputation
      TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I didnt know he threw punches at an Offensive Linemen in OTAs...

      Regardless, I am glad to see some signings.

      Predicted Records:2010: 8-82011: 8-82012: 9-72013: 5-112014: 6-10
      ballpeenB sisky fringoS 2 Replies Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound

        I didnt know he threw punches at an Offensive Linemen in OTAs...

        Regardless, I am glad to see some signings.

        ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 9k Posts
        • 2k Reputation
        ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @theclevelandsound said:

        I didnt know he threw punches at an Offensive Linemen in OTAs...

        Regardless, I am glad to see some signings.

        That is my real concern with the guy. I hope he can control his emotions as that was a concern when he played for SC

        If he can I think he can be a pretty nice player for us.

        If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
        The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • BrownIndian BrownIndianB
          • 2k Posts
          • 39 Reputation
          BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
          #4

          way to go

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • ballpeenB ballpeen

            @theclevelandsound said:

            I didnt know he threw punches at an Offensive Linemen in OTAs...

            Regardless, I am glad to see some signings.

            That is my real concern with the guy. I hope he can control his emotions as that was a concern when he played for SC

            If he can I think he can be a pretty nice player for us.

            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
            • 57k Posts
            • 4k Reputation
            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @ballpeen said:

            That is my real concern with the guy. I hope he can control his emotions as that was a concern when he played for SC

            If he can I think he can be a pretty nice player for us.

            Well, his uncle was "Jumpy" Geathers, maybe we can nickname him "Yintsy" since he seems to have so much nervous energy.

            C 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound

              I didnt know he threw punches at an Offensive Linemen in OTAs...

              Regardless, I am glad to see some signings.

              sisky fringo sisky fringoS
              • 2k Posts
              • 96 Reputation
              sisky fringoS sisky fringo wrote on last edited by sisky fringo
              #6

              @theclevelandsound said:

              I didnt know he threw punches at an Offensive Linemen in OTAs...
              probably explains why he signed so fast. 😛

              not sure if this dude "gets it"...but maybe the altercation can be a learning experience. i hope coming from NFL bloodlines hasn't given him an entitlement complex and he's just a really passionate guy.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 9k Posts
                • 2k Reputation
                ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                #7

                On the other hand, maybe it means he isn't going to be pushed around.....and we can use a dose of that as well.

                If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                Canton MikeC 1 Reply Last reply
                ❤
                Quote Reply
                • The GipperT The Gipper

                  @ballpeen said:

                  That is my real concern with the guy. I hope he can control his emotions as that was a concern when he played for SC

                  If he can I think he can be a pretty nice player for us.

                  Well, his uncle was "Jumpy" Geathers, maybe we can nickname him "Yintsy" since he seems to have so much nervous energy.

                  CLEVELandMILIDH C
                  • 2k Posts
                  • 52 Reputation
                  C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @the-gipper said:

                  Well, his uncle was "Jumpy" Geathers, maybe we can nickname him "Yintsy" since he seems to have so much nervous energy.

                  "Jumpy wants to be born now" sorry I watch "Unborn" last night. haha

                  1st Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU 3rd Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State4th Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma5th Earl Wolff, S, N.C. State6th Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • ballpeenB ballpeen

                    On the other hand, maybe it means he isn't going to be pushed around.....and we can use a dose of that as well.

                    Canton Mike Canton MikeC
                    • 4k Posts
                    • 2k Reputation
                    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @ballpeen said:

                    On the other hand, maybe it means he isn't going to be pushed around.....and we can use a dose of that as well.

                    Yeah, putting a guy on the field that instills a little physical fear in opposing O linemen may not be all bad.

                    Mike

                    IN DORSEY I TRUST
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    ❤
                    Quote Reply

                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                    With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                    Register Login
                    Reply
                    • Reply as topic
                    Log in to reply
                    • Oldest to Newest
                    • Newest to Oldest
                    • Most Votes


                    Theme
                    • System
                    • Light
                    • Dark
                    The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                    The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                    • First post
                      Last post
                    0
                    • Forums
                    • Recent
                    • Popular
                    • Users
                    • Donate