Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Barber Shop Talk
  3. My "other" passion in pics..

My "other" passion in pics..

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Barber Shop Talk
5 Posts 4 Posters 982 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Canton Mike Canton MikeC
    • 4k Posts
    • 2k Reputation
    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by Canton Mike
    #1

    I particularly enjoy fly fishing for, catching & releasing some big bluegills & redear. Thought I would share some pics...

    MikesPics1423.jpg

    MikesPics1001.jpg

    MikesPics647.jpg

    MikesPics654.jpg

    MikesPics600.jpg

    MikesPics1455.jpg

    All 'gills in the pics were immediately & safely released. All the 'gills pictured were at least 10" long..largest was 11 1/4".

    Last pic is, of course, the old goat himself (me) fightin' another. I only keep bluegill under 8" for the fryer. Any 8" & larger swim again.

    Mike

    IN DORSEY I TRUST
    Kosar_For_PresidentK 1 Reply Last reply
    ❤
    Quote Reply
    • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
      • 64k Posts
      • 8k Reputation
      C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Hey, Mike -

      Now, THAT is why I need to put in a pond !

      Bluegill fillets are excellent. Nice job !

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Canton MikeC Canton Mike

        I particularly enjoy fly fishing for, catching & releasing some big bluegills & redear. Thought I would share some pics...

        MikesPics1423.jpg

        MikesPics1001.jpg

        MikesPics647.jpg

        MikesPics654.jpg

        MikesPics600.jpg

        MikesPics1455.jpg

        All 'gills in the pics were immediately & safely released. All the 'gills pictured were at least 10" long..largest was 11 1/4".

        Last pic is, of course, the old goat himself (me) fightin' another. I only keep bluegill under 8" for the fryer. Any 8" & larger swim again.

        Mike

        Kosar_For_President Kosar_For_PresidentK
        • 6k Posts
        • 221 Reputation
        Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @canton-mike said:

        All 'gills in the pics were immediately & safely released. All the 'gills pictured were at least 10" long..largest was 11 1/4".

        Last pic is, of course, the old goat himself (me) fightin' another. I only keep bluegill under 8" for the fryer. Any 8" & larger swim again.

        Mike

        Hey Mike, why do you keep the smaller fish. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Just curious.

        Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB - Ghoolie, 2-28-12
        Canton MikeC 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President

          @canton-mike said:

          All 'gills in the pics were immediately & safely released. All the 'gills pictured were at least 10" long..largest was 11 1/4".

          Last pic is, of course, the old goat himself (me) fightin' another. I only keep bluegill under 8" for the fryer. Any 8" & larger swim again.

          Mike

          Hey Mike, why do you keep the smaller fish. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Just curious.

          Canton Mike Canton MikeC
          • 4k Posts
          • 2k Reputation
          Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @kosar_for_president said:

          Hey Mike, why do you keep the smaller fish. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Just curious.

          Good question. Ten or twelve years or so ago, I DID keep larger 'gills, then I read an article about creating big bluegill fisheries that recommended releasing the large bluegill to improve the "gene pool" & increase average size in a body of water. Since reading that article, I have followed that catch & release philosophy, plus I DO NOT keep bass & WILL NOT even fish a small pond while bass are spawning (they'll hit anything & are in a weakened state, even if released). I may be wrong, but every pond I have fished has seen an increase in average size (usually a significant increase). Besides, a thick 7" to 8" bluegill has a lot of meat when properly cleaned. I fillet & skin them, then freeze them packed in water (no freezer burn) & they'll taste fresh as new after a year or two.

          Mike

          IN DORSEY I TRUST
          1 Reply Last reply
          ❤
          Quote Reply
          • kpolen4 K
            • 107 Posts
            • 0 Reputation
            K kpolen4 wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Nothin like fish mmmm and ya freezing them in water does help big time. i had fish that was 2 or 3 years old that was frozen that way n i couldnt tell

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply

            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

            Register Login
            Reply
            • Reply as topic
            Log in to reply
            • Oldest to Newest
            • Newest to Oldest
            • Most Votes


            Theme
            • System
            • Light
            • Dark
            The Browns Board Terms Privacy

            The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

            • First post
              Last post
            0
            • Forums
            • Recent
            • Popular
            • Users
            • Donate