Skip to content

Steinbrenner reportedly dies after heart attack

The Browns Board
17 9 1.8k
  • Steinbrenner reportedly dies after heart attack

    Former New York Yankees owner recently celebrated his 80th birthday

    Former New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner has died, according to reports from The Associated Press and the New York Daily News.

    Steinbrenner, the former owner known as "The Boss" for his tempestuous style, suffered a massive heart attack at the age of 80.

    The Tampa Tribune website said emergency crews went to his home on Monday night.

    Steinbrenner has demanded results and got them running America's most successful sports franchise. The Yankees have won seven World Series titles and 11 American League pennants since he bought the fabled club in 1973.

    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing," he once said.

    Steinbrenner's Yankees empire, which he purchased for $10 million, is now worth billions.

    Steinbrenner, who turned 80 on the U.S. Independence Day holiday on July 4, is a well-known figure in popular culture, routinely pictured on the back pages of New York's tabloids wearing his familiar white turtleneck under a blue blazer and regularly skewered in the TV sitcom "Seinfeld."

  • Well, he certainly was a personality.

    The one pile of BS I don't want to here is the pablum that "the Yankees are going to dedicate themselves to winning the Championship in memory of George". Except, of course, you know we are going to hear that crap.

  • Born in Rocky River and was a graduate assistant to Woody Hayes

  • Born in Rocky River and was a graduate assistant to Woody Hayes

    nmills said:

    Born in Rocky River and was a graduate assistant to Woody Hayes

    I know the guy lived in and went to Bay Village HS....his family lived about 2 miles down Lake Road from where I lived as a kid.

    I don't remember a hospital being in Rocky River, so if he was born there, it must have been in a house.

  • Zombo said:

    He was from Cleveland, right?

    I've always hated the Yankees, but you can't blame him for using his money and the rules to his advantage as much as he could.

    Baseball has been effed up for decades with its balance of power. I remember when the Royals, Pirates and Orioles were model franchises. Now they can't compete. Ever.

    Zombo

    Yes Z that's why I'm not much of a baseball fan anymore. Teams like the Indians are screwed from the get-go.

    RIP George.

  • nmills said:

    Born in Rocky River and was a graduate assistant to Woody Hayes

    I know the guy lived in and went to Bay Village HS....his family lived about 2 miles down Lake Road from where I lived as a kid.

    I don't remember a hospital being in Rocky River, so if he was born there, it must have been in a house.

    @ballpeen said:

    I know the guy lived in and went to Bay Village HS....his family lived about 2 miles down Lake Road from where I lived as a kid.

    I don't remember a hospital being in Rocky River, so if he was born there, it must have been in a house.

    Nearest hospital would be Fairview (not sure it was around that long ago though).

  • Zombo said:

    He was from Cleveland, right?

    I've always hated the Yankees, but you can't blame him for using his money and the rules to his advantage as much as he could.

    Baseball has been effed up for decades with its balance of power. I remember when the Royals, Pirates and Orioles were model franchises. Now they can't compete. Ever.

    Zombo

    Actually, I understand that he was turned down on his offer to buy the Tribe by Nick Mileti or whoeer owned the Tribe back then.

  • nmills said:

    Born in Rocky River and was a graduate assistant to Woody Hayes

    I know the guy lived in and went to Bay Village HS....his family lived about 2 miles down Lake Road from where I lived as a kid.

    I don't remember a hospital being in Rocky River, so if he was born there, it must have been in a house.

    @ballpeen said:

    I know the guy lived in and went to Bay Village HS....his family lived about 2 miles down Lake Road from where I lived as a kid.

    I don't remember a hospital being in Rocky River, so if he was born there, it must have been in a house.

    Maybe Sam Shepard delivered him.

  • nmills said:

    Born in Rocky River and was a graduate assistant to Woody Hayes

    I know the guy lived in and went to Bay Village HS....his family lived about 2 miles down Lake Road from where I lived as a kid.

    I don't remember a hospital being in Rocky River, so if he was born there, it must have been in a house.

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't remember a hospital being in Rocky River, so if he was born there, it must have been in a house.

    Haha funny guy, you know what I meant 🙄

  • The Onion's headline: "George Steinbrenner Dead After Firing Underperforming Heart."

    I agree with the earlier point about having no reason to hate on him for using his resources to build a winner. He certainly did that. He was also a meddling prick who wasn't above doing whatever he needed to do to screw over his enemies--my hunch is that the Yankees' resurgence in the 1990s was due in large part to Cashman and Torre's ability to nod patiently, agree that nothing was good enough, and then do what they had been doing. If not for those two, Steinbrenner would have been MLB's equivalent of Jerry Jones, who just can't find the right guy to spend his money and not listen to his suggestions for what to do with it.

    Dennis

  • Who is George Constanza going to work for now??

  • Who is George Constanza going to work for now??

    @slowburn said:

    Who is George Constanza going to work for now??

    My favorite... when Mr. Costanza left a message on Jerry's answering machine:

    "Jerry this is Mr. Costanza, Mr. Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!" 😆😆😆

  • @slowburn said:

    Who is George Constanza going to work for now??

    My favorite... when Mr. Costanza left a message on Jerry's answering machine:

    "Jerry this is Mr. Costanza, Mr. Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!" 😆😆😆

    @djdawg2010 said:

    My favorite... when Mr. Costanza left a message on Jerry's answering machine:

    "Jerry this is Mr. Costanza, Mr. Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!" 😆😆😆

    yea that was a nice one........i liked the episode where george was getting George S a calzone everyday for lunch until the pizza shop accused him of looting the tip jar

  • @ballpeen said:

    I know the guy lived in and went to Bay Village HS....his family lived about 2 miles down Lake Road from where I lived as a kid.

    I don't remember a hospital being in Rocky River, so if he was born there, it must have been in a house.

    Maybe Sam Shepard delivered him.

    @the-gipper said:

    Maybe Sam Shepard delivered him.

    Probably not.....George was born in the 30's???

    Sam was a fairly young MD in the 50's....but to the point, BayView was a Hospital in Bay, had a broken arm fixed there....condos now....not sure if it was around back when George was born.....but I did see a article saying he was born in RR....and one in Bay.....none the less, I know for a fact he lived in Bay when growing up. My father did a fairly large amount of business hardening ship props for the Steinbrenners American Shipbuilders Lorain operations.

    I've met George Steinbrenner multiple times....he was from Bay Village.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Maybe Sam Shepard delivered him.

    Probably not.....George was born in the 30's???

    Sam was a fairly young MD in the 50's....but to the point, BayView was a Hospital in Bay, had a broken arm fixed there....condos now....not sure if it was around back when George was born.....but I did see a article saying he was born in RR....and one in Bay.....none the less, I know for a fact he lived in Bay when growing up. My father did a fairly large amount of business hardening ship props for the Steinbrenners American Shipbuilders Lorain operations.

    I've met George Steinbrenner multiple times....he was from Bay Village.

    @ballpeen said:

    I've met George Steinbrenner multiple times....he was from Bay Village.

    I think I mentioned this here before, but my grandma was his personal photographer when he lived here. She photographed his wedding. From what I remember she told me he was a nice guy unless you crossed him, almost mafia-like.

    Too bad he couldn't of bought the Indians. I hate the Yankees, but never wish a death like this. He was 80. I wish the Steinbrenner's well.

    Steinbrenner served as a graduate assistant to legendary Buckeye football coach Woody Hayes. Can't be all that bad.

  • Who is George Constanza going to work for now??

    @slowburn said:

    Who is George Constanza going to work for now??

    Larry David was Steinbrenner's voice.

  • @djdawg2010 said:

    My favorite... when Mr. Costanza left a message on Jerry's answering machine:

    "Jerry this is Mr. Costanza, Mr. Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!" 😆😆😆

    yea that was a nice one........i liked the episode where george was getting George S a calzone everyday for lunch until the pizza shop accused him of looting the tip jar

    @slowburn said:

    yea that was a nice one........i liked the episode where george was getting George S a calzone everyday for lunch until the pizza shop accused him of looting the tip jar

    Yeah, so he had Newman buying them, until Newman took a day off from the USPS, so Kramer had to buy them, and had all of that change. 😆😆😆