Skip to content

LeBron leaves Cleveland and Holmgren accepts the extra pressure that has been placed on the Browns

The Browns Board
17 9 1.9k
  • I am so pumped to have Holmgren in our organization. The guy just GETS it. He feels for us fans and he makes it perfectly clear that he understands the hell we have been through the last 10 years. I have never been so excited for training camp to start. GOOOO BROWNIES

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @blowe said:

    I am so pumped to have Holmgren in our organization. The guy just GETS it. He feels for us fans and he makes it perfectly clear that he understands the hell we have been through the last 10 years. I have never been so excited for training camp to start. GOOOO BROWNIES

    agreed and good post. dude, i'm so anxious to see the growth and devlopment of this team under a football guru like holmgren. just think back to the morons that we had in his position before he was hired. what a joke those guys were!

  • @blowe said:

    I am so pumped to have Holmgren in our organization. The guy just GETS it. He feels for us fans and he makes it perfectly clear that he understands the hell we have been through the last 10 years. I have never been so excited for training camp to start. GOOOO BROWNIES

    agreed and good post. dude, i'm so anxious to see the growth and devlopment of this team under a football guru like holmgren. just think back to the morons that we had in his position before he was hired. what a joke those guys were!

    next2nothingN next2nothing wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @sj_browns said:

    agreed and good post. dude, i'm so anxious to see the growth and devlopment of this team under a football guru like holmgren. just think back to the morons that we had in his position before he was hired. what a joke those guys were!

    I just want to be able to tell people I'm a Browns fan without them reminding me how bad the team has been.

  • @sj_browns said:

    agreed and good post. dude, i'm so anxious to see the growth and devlopment of this team under a football guru like holmgren. just think back to the morons that we had in his position before he was hired. what a joke those guys were!

    I just want to be able to tell people I'm a Browns fan without them reminding me how bad the team has been.

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @next2nothing said:

    I just want to be able to tell people I'm a Browns fan without them reminding me how bad the team has been.

    wouldn't that be nice!

  • N NW Ohio Brownie wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I wonder how long LeBron's sense of entitlement would last in the current Browns' lockerroom.

    Can you imagine him trying to talk Holmgren and Mangini into changing practice and departure times, etc. so it would fit into HIS schedule?

    Which is what I am talking about when someone like Munch on WKNR constantly spouts the drivel about how Mangini can't handle superstars in his lockerroom. That's just plain junk. What he won't tolerate in his lockerroom are egos the size of the Goodyear blimp, regardless of talent. I am sure Mangini would turn down the chance to have someone like Peyton Manning or Larry Fitzgerald, right Munch?

    Anyway, listening to Holmgren after the LeBron fiasco is very refreshing. He gets it. Unfortunately, LeBron never did.

  • I wonder how long LeBron's sense of entitlement would last in the current Browns' lockerroom.

    Can you imagine him trying to talk Holmgren and Mangini into changing practice and departure times, etc. so it would fit into HIS schedule?

    Which is what I am talking about when someone like Munch on WKNR constantly spouts the drivel about how Mangini can't handle superstars in his lockerroom. That's just plain junk. What he won't tolerate in his lockerroom are egos the size of the Goodyear blimp, regardless of talent. I am sure Mangini would turn down the chance to have someone like Peyton Manning or Larry Fitzgerald, right Munch?

    Anyway, listening to Holmgren after the LeBron fiasco is very refreshing. He gets it. Unfortunately, LeBron never did.

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @nw-ohio-brownie said:

    I wonder how long LeBron's sense of entitlement would last in the current Browns' lockerroom.

    Can you imagine him trying to talk Holmgren and Mangini into changing practice and departure times, etc. so it would fit into HIS schedule?

    Which is what I am talking about when someone like Munch on WKNR constantly spouts the drivel about how Mangini can't handle superstars in his lockerroom. That's just plain junk. What he won't tolerate in his lockerroom are egos the size of the Goodyear blimp, regardless of talent. I am sure Mangini would turn down the chance to have someone like Peyton Manning or Larry Fitzgerald, right Munch?

    Anyway, listening to Holmgren after the LeBron fiasco is very refreshing. He gets it. Unfortunately, LeBron never did.

    very good points, nw. you can see why gilbert was so upset with lebron's "decision" and why he was upset with himself for doing so much for that ungrateful letraitor. and yes, holmgren definitely gets it.

  • @sj_browns said:

    agreed and good post. dude, i'm so anxious to see the growth and devlopment of this team under a football guru like holmgren. just think back to the morons that we had in his position before he was hired. what a joke those guys were!

    I just want to be able to tell people I'm a Browns fan without them reminding me how bad the team has been.

    Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @next2nothing said:

    I just want to be able to tell people I'm a Browns fan without them reminding me how bad the team has been.

    ditto

    We do have bragging rights over pittsburgh since our last game so that gives us something to hang our hat on, not to mention the Browns finished the strongest than any other NFL team in the 2009 season.

    Great expectations are ahead.

  • U underdawg wrote on last edited by
    #10

    We shouldn't give up completely on the Cavs, they might surprise everyone next year.

  • We shouldn't give up completely on the Cavs, they might surprise everyone next year.

    F FearTheRoo wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @underdawg said:

    We shouldn't give up completely on the Cavs, they might surprise everyone next year.

    No they are going to suck haha sad but true, I just hope the fans can come back better than ever. Even the worst team can do amazing things when they have the fans behind them and drive to win. Remember the last 4 games of the Browns season? that was heart. Something the Lebron era teams lacked, if your "leader" doesn't care why should you? just give it all you got Cavs, rock the wine and gold and rock the Q!

  • @next2nothing said:

    I just want to be able to tell people I'm a Browns fan without them reminding me how bad the team has been.

    ditto

    We do have bragging rights over pittsburgh since our last game so that gives us something to hang our hat on, not to mention the Browns finished the strongest than any other NFL team in the 2009 season.

    Great expectations are ahead.

    next2nothingN next2nothing wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @mr.-t said:

    ditto

    We do have bragging rights over pittsburgh since our last game so that gives us something to hang our hat on, not to mention the Browns finished the strongest than any other NFL team in the 2009 season.

    Great expectations are ahead.

    The Steeler fags in my area keep telling me that we played no part in knocking them out of the playoffs and that they were done by mid-season. 🙄

  • S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #13

    http://www.ohio.com/sports/98633599.html

    Cleveland sports fans are looking for an heir to LeBron James' vacant throne, and Browns Pro Bowl kick returner Josh Cribbs embraces the idea of becoming their new king.

    No, Cribbs doesn't want be featured on a mural in downtown Cleveland like James was before he chose to leave the Cavaliers and join the Miami Heat. But he doesn't have a problem with becoming the most beloved sports figure in Northeast Ohio, either.

    ''I embrace it because I feel like some of the values I hold strong to myself are the same values that the city should hold strong to itself, and [it does],'' Cribbs said Friday in a phone interview with the Beacon Journal. ''Not being drafted and coming from the bottom to reach the top is something that speaks for itself, and I think that's what Cleveland is. . . . It's one of the most loved cities and one of the most hard-working cities.''

    The first stop along Cribbs' unofficial campaign trail to become the face of Cleveland sports will be the home of the Cavaliers and James' old stomping grounds. Cribbs is scheduled to sign autographs from 6-7 p.m. today when the Cleveland Gladiators of the Arena Football League host ''Cleveland Pride Night'' before their game against the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz at Quicken Loans Arena.

    The first 5,000 fans in attendance will receive a poster featuring Cribbs and former Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar, who's also scheduled to appear along with several other local celebrities.

    ''People are always gonna love Bernie,'' Gladiators General Manager John Adams said. ''But as far as people who are playing right now, it's football season coming up, Josh is from this area, he's a Pro Bowler, so he's kind of an obvious choice [as a fan favorite]. He's a great guy, and the people in this city love him.''

    Since James' infamous decision, sports talk radio and Web sites have been buzzing about Cribbs, a Kent State University graduate, supplanting James as the area's most popular athlete. Cribbs even took part in the conversation this past week via Twitter, when he posted a doctored picture of himself adorning the Landmark Office Tower, where a gigantic Nike banner of James hung for years across the street from the arena.

    ''I'm hurt. I would have loved to see [James] still be in a Cavaliers uniform and still root for him while he's at the Q,'' Cribbs said. ''But I wish him the best.''

    Although Cribbs concedes he was entertained by the picture on Twitter, he has other ideas for replacement murals.

    ''It should be something that signifies the city altogether,'' Cribbs said. ''Some people even on Twitter have said, 'We don't need a poster.' But most people were feeling like they did because it feels like a void is there. But I think it should be something that unites the city, [a sign that reads] 'Believeland' or something like that, or a collective collage of all the sports or all the blue-collar people in Cleveland pulling together to reach one goal.''

    As for the Browns and their goals as they prepare for the first full-squad practice of training camp on July 31, Cribbs said he and his teammates want to provide their fans with comfort by improving upon the team's 5-11 record from last season. After all, Cribbs still believes he owes Browns fans for their support during his tumultuous contract negotiations that ultimately resulted in a restructured deal.

    ''I think we can rally around that idea [of lifting the fans' spirits] and rally around our win streak that we went on last year,'' said Cribbs, who also plays receiver and, on occasion, quarterback in the WildDawg formation. ''Coming off the end of the season last year with a four-game win streak, that will give us momentum going into this season as well as the city thirsting for wins.

    ''I think we can rally off a compilation of things. It's time for us to win, especially with [browns President Mike] Holmgren coming in and [coach Eric] Mangini putting his [mark on the team]. I think it's a very good opportunity for us to grab hold of.''

  • S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #14

    http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/2010/07...out-josh-cribbs

    I interviewed Browns Pro Bowl return man Josh Cribbs over the phone Friday afternoon while he was on his way to the set of "Jim Rome is Burning" in Los Angeles.

    The bulk of our conversation, and what ultimately led to this story, was about LeBron James leaving town and Cribbs' pride in becoming who many consider the new face of Cleveland sports.

    Anyway, here are some parts of the interview that didn't make the cut for the story:

    On participating in "Cleveland Pride Night" Saturday at Quicken Loans Arena: "The people of Cleveland are die-hard fans and hard-working people, and they represent something. I can only pride myself in giving back to the fans as much as possible. That's why I sign autographs for everybody. You never see me turn nobody down because the fans ultimately pay our salary.’’

    More on what should replace the empty space where the LeBron James mural that once hung on a building in downtown Cleveland: "Something that just says no matter what we go through, we're gonna still stand. We're gonna still be here. We're gonna still go out to win. And something that signifies that the fans will never give up, a picture or a word or something that basically gives the fans hope, something to cheer for, something to look forward to."

    On recently dabbling in acting: "I definitely welcome all opportunities, and you have to always look ahead. Football isn't forever. The NFL to us, the athletes, doesn't last long. It's a very short time period for us to grab a hold of our small celebrity and to make the most of it. Definitely (acting more in the future is) a possibility. I had fun doing it, and football has opened up those doors for me. It's opened up the opportunities for me to have that chance."

  • @sj_browns said:

    agreed and good post. dude, i'm so anxious to see the growth and devlopment of this team under a football guru like holmgren. just think back to the morons that we had in his position before he was hired. what a joke those guys were!

    I just want to be able to tell people I'm a Browns fan without them reminding me how bad the team has been.

    S samoth wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @next2nothing said:

    I just want to be able to tell people I'm a Browns fan without them reminding me how bad the team has been.

    We could win 10 superbowls in a row and people would still make fun of the Browns.

  • @mr.-t said:

    ditto

    We do have bragging rights over pittsburgh since our last game so that gives us something to hang our hat on, not to mention the Browns finished the strongest than any other NFL team in the 2009 season.

    Great expectations are ahead.

    The Steeler fags in my area keep telling me that we played no part in knocking them out of the playoffs and that they were done by mid-season. 🙄

    djdawg2010D djdawg2010 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @next2nothing said:

    The Steeler fags in my area keep telling me that we played no part in knocking them out of the playoffs and that they were done by mid-season. 🙄

    I like how for weeks afterwards you didn't see one Steelers jersey, hat or any attire. It was kind of nice actually.

  • @next2nothing said:

    I just want to be able to tell people I'm a Browns fan without them reminding me how bad the team has been.

    We could win 10 superbowls in a row and people would still make fun of the Browns.

    djdawg2010D djdawg2010 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @samoth said:

    We could win 10 superbowls in a row and people would still make fun of the Browns.

    See I don't really think so, considering our rich history, and due to the fact that there are Browns Backers clubs all over the world. Yes of late we've been down, but that is all about to change! Good times are coming