McCoy Signed
-
Okay the two main arguments for being Ohio State fans. You say being from Ohio, you have to root for Ohio State. Okay like said why don't you root for Ohio U instead? You say Ohio State is the premier team in the state. Well last time I checked Cincinnati was ranked higher than OSU towards the end of last year and ended up with a better record so couldn't they be considered the premier team in Ohio? Either way it still doesnt make sense. Believe it or not the OSU is NOT a pro team, it is a school. So any analogies to the Browns are wrong. Even if you have been a fan for life, you are still not a part of the school and yeah you can root for them, but a diehard? really. Being from PA I don't have to root for Ohio State, I don't even have to root for Penn State. They are both equally annoying in my book. I've never heard of this school Akron U you people are mentioning. I am a fan of The University of Akron, and I'm damn proud of it. Being a student there, I have a connection most of you will never feel. This is why you just don't understand. I am a part of something and just don't walk around being obnoxious and running my mouth about some school just because I feel like it. We'll never be a big time school in football, but we have pride and we're proud of OUR school, not just A school.
-
Okay the two main arguments for being Ohio State fans. You say being from Ohio, you have to root for Ohio State. Okay like said why don't you root for Ohio U instead? You say Ohio State is the premier team in the state. Well last time I checked Cincinnati was ranked higher than OSU towards the end of last year and ended up with a better record so couldn't they be considered the premier team in Ohio? Either way it still doesnt make sense. Believe it or not the OSU is NOT a pro team, it is a school. So any analogies to the Browns are wrong. Even if you have been a fan for life, you are still not a part of the school and yeah you can root for them, but a diehard? really. Being from PA I don't have to root for Ohio State, I don't even have to root for Penn State. They are both equally annoying in my book. I've never heard of this school Akron U you people are mentioning. I am a fan of The University of Akron, and I'm damn proud of it. Being a student there, I have a connection most of you will never feel. This is why you just don't understand. I am a part of something and just don't walk around being obnoxious and running my mouth about some school just because I feel like it. We'll never be a big time school in football, but we have pride and we're proud of OUR school, not just A school.
Okay the two main arguments for being Ohio State fans. You say being from Ohio, you have to root for Ohio State. Okay like said why don't you root for Ohio U instead? You say Ohio State is the premier team in the state. Well last time I checked Cincinnati was ranked higher than OSU towards the end of last year and ended up with a better record so couldn't they be considered the premier team in Ohio? Either way it still doesnt make sense. Believe it or not the OSU is NOT a pro team, it is a school. So any analogies to the Browns are wrong. Even if you have been a fan for life, you are still not a part of the school and yeah you can root for them, but a diehard? really. Being from PA I don't have to root for Ohio State, I don't even have to root for Penn State. They are both equally annoying in my book. I've never heard of this school Akron U you people are mentioning. I am a fan of The University of Akron, and I'm damn proud of it. Being a student there, I have a connection most of you will never feel. This is why you just don't understand. I am a part of something and just don't walk around being obnoxious and running my mouth about some school just because I feel like it. We'll never be a big time school in football, but we have pride and we're proud of OUR school, not just A school.
this is too repetitive and your argument is flawed on so many levels I'm not going to get into it...just let it go.
-
Wow. i just checked into this thread (the last two pages) and it is giving me a headache.
i will say this. i'm a Mount Union fan. i didn't go to school at Mount Union or had any really close friends that went to Mount Union. i became a fan years ago because they were (and are) the best football team in the nation, and they are only a 75 minute drive away. What kind of fan does that make me?
BTW, i'm also a huge St Ignatius fan. That is not because they are the best team in the region (even though they are). It is because my son went there. What kind of fan does that make me?
Anyone want to go see a Purple Raiders game this season? Great football and no need to tailgate. They have a great brunch open to any and all fans in the student cafeteria. It is top notch.
-
nmills said:
Why can you root for the Browns but you cant root for a college team? Whats the difference? Name 5 reasons you root for the browns then put them in context of me rooting for the Buckeyes...maybe that will help, I dont understand your angle at all.Browns are professional team. I root for the Indians instead of the Columbus Clippers even though I live in Columbus. The level of play is better (well, maybe not this year).
Nothing wrong with liking college ball. Like I said, I don't see why its so popular since the rosters turn over ever 3-4 years, your ability to get into a championship game is based entirely on arbitrary preseason rankings by "experts", and realistically about 15 out of 120 teams have a shot of ever being the national champion. Any team in the NFL has a shot at winning the Superbowl from year to year. That's called competitive balance.
I grew up in Athens where OU is. I bet I went to 5 OU games in my life before college. It wasn't imporant. I can't ever remember anyone talking about OSU football on Sundays other than my grandma and uncles. I do however remember being raised watching Browns and Bengals games on TV.
You want 5 reasons I prefer the pro game?
1. Level of competition is generally better. No scheduling the MAC and the worst teams in the Big 10 every year.
2. Offenses and defenses are more complex.
3. The NCAA is corrupt
4. Unless you like one of the traditional college powers, youve got no hope of seeing a championship.
5. I prefer watching professionals play a game instead of college kids. There are, what, 8000~ college football players? 250 per year are considered good enough to get a tryout in the NFL.
-
Wow, thats all I gotta say... Wow...Im done
-
i agree with a lot of what samoth said about the ncaa. i'm not really a fan of it, esp the championship part of it. even though the schedules get tougher as the year rolls along, the fact that a powerhouse like ohio state can play mac teams and marshall university is a joke. the lions have a better shot at beating the saints than akron ever has at beating ohio state.
-
i agree with a lot of what samoth said about the ncaa. i'm not really a fan of it, esp the championship part of it. even though the schedules get tougher as the year rolls along, the fact that a powerhouse like ohio state can play mac teams and marshall university is a joke. the lions have a better shot at beating the saints than akron ever has at beating ohio state.
i agree with a lot of what samoth said about the ncaa. i'm not really a fan of it, esp the championship part of it. even though the schedules get tougher as the year rolls along, the fact that a powerhouse like ohio state can play mac teams and marshall university is a joke. the lions have a better shot at beating the saints than akron ever has at beating ohio state.
It called spreading the wealth to the smaller school and gives the big guy a chance to play some 5th year seniors so they actually make the record books.
As for why people root for who they do....it isn't for anyone to understand...why do some like hockey and others don't?? Why do some like NASCAR and others don't??
Shoot....Stan had a horseracing forum in here.
When you get right down to it, everybody is a bandwagon fan. We all made a decision to follow who we follow. Nobody as an example was born a Browns fan...we jumped on at one point, so to me it doesn't matter when a person decides to start following a team.
It's the jumping on and jumping off that bothers me.
-
i agree with a lot of what samoth said about the ncaa. i'm not really a fan of it, esp the championship part of it. even though the schedules get tougher as the year rolls along, the fact that a powerhouse like ohio state can play mac teams and marshall university is a joke. the lions have a better shot at beating the saints than akron ever has at beating ohio state.
i agree with a lot of what samoth said about the ncaa. i'm not really a fan of it, esp the championship part of it. even though the schedules get tougher as the year rolls along, the fact that a powerhouse like ohio state can play mac teams and marshall university is a joke. the lions have a better shot at beating the saints than akron ever has at beating ohio state.
I agree with some of what Samoth said, my Wow was mainly at FearTheRoo's last post and Samoth telling me why he likes the Pro's vs college instead of why he follows the Browns. I'd say if you didn't follow college football before you went to college then why follow it after you do? Thats sounds alot more bandwaggon than me rooting for a team my whole life. Get of your high horse is see that this is about the game of FOOTBALL and not the academics of attending college.
I'll say this, every team in the country plays these kind of games early in the year and only a very few schedule meaningful out of conference games. Ohio state schedules USC, Texas, Miami, Florida, etc. who else does that?
-
i agree with a lot of what samoth said about the ncaa. i'm not really a fan of it, esp the championship part of it. even though the schedules get tougher as the year rolls along, the fact that a powerhouse like ohio state can play mac teams and marshall university is a joke. the lions have a better shot at beating the saints than akron ever has at beating ohio state.
I agree with some of what Samoth said, my Wow was mainly at FearTheRoo's last post and Samoth telling me why he likes the Pro's vs college instead of why he follows the Browns. I'd say if you didn't follow college football before you went to college then why follow it after you do? Thats sounds alot more bandwaggon than me rooting for a team my whole life. Get of your high horse is see that this is about the game of FOOTBALL and not the academics of attending college.
I'll say this, every team in the country plays these kind of games early in the year and only a very few schedule meaningful out of conference games. Ohio state schedules USC, Texas, Miami, Florida, etc. who else does that?
nmills said:
I agree with some of what Samoth said, my Wow was mainly at FearTheRoo's last post and Samoth telling me why he likes the Pro's vs college instead of why he follows the Browns. I'd say if you didn't follow college football before you went to college then why follow it after you do? Thats sounds alot more bandwaggon than me rooting for a team my whole life. Get of your high horse is see that this is about the game of FOOTBALL and not the academics of attending college.I'll say this, every team in the country plays these kind of games early in the year and only a very few schedule meaningful out of conference games. Ohio state schedules USC, Texas, Miami, Florida, etc. who else does that?
I don't follow college now. I'll watch OSU or OU on tv or maybe go to a game a year, but I don't discuss it like I do with the pro game. It's like a different world, and to me I don't see the attraction to watching a bunch of college kids play a game where 90% of the teams have no shot of ever winning anything meaningful. Like I said, more power to you if you love college ball, but I prefer the pros.
Why do I like the Browns? Well, I'm from athens which is probably 50% Browns and 25% Steelers/Bengals. My dad was a browns fan, so I am too. If I'm being called a bangwagoner for rooting for one of the worst teams in the NFL for the last decade, so be it. I didn't start caring about football until college, so around 2000. If i was a real bandwagoner I'd be on a Patriots forum right now.
-
nmills said:
I agree with some of what Samoth said, my Wow was mainly at FearTheRoo's last post and Samoth telling me why he likes the Pro's vs college instead of why he follows the Browns. I'd say if you didn't follow college football before you went to college then why follow it after you do? Thats sounds alot more bandwaggon than me rooting for a team my whole life. Get of your high horse is see that this is about the game of FOOTBALL and not the academics of attending college.I'll say this, every team in the country plays these kind of games early in the year and only a very few schedule meaningful out of conference games. Ohio state schedules USC, Texas, Miami, Florida, etc. who else does that?
I don't follow college now. I'll watch OSU or OU on tv or maybe go to a game a year, but I don't discuss it like I do with the pro game. It's like a different world, and to me I don't see the attraction to watching a bunch of college kids play a game where 90% of the teams have no shot of ever winning anything meaningful. Like I said, more power to you if you love college ball, but I prefer the pros.
Why do I like the Browns? Well, I'm from athens which is probably 50% Browns and 25% Steelers/Bengals. My dad was a browns fan, so I am too. If I'm being called a bangwagoner for rooting for one of the worst teams in the NFL for the last decade, so be it. I didn't start caring about football until college, so around 2000. If i was a real bandwagoner I'd be on a Patriots forum right now.
Why do I like the Browns? Well, I'm from athens which is probably 50% Browns and 25% Steelers/Bengals. My dad was a browns fan, so I am too. If I'm being called a bangwagoner for rooting for one of the worst teams in the NFL for the last decade, so be it. I didn't start caring about football until college, so around 2000. If i was a real bandwagoner I'd be on a Patriots forum right now.
Thats the same reason I root for the Buckeyes. I live about 2 hrs. north of Columbus, my entire family are buckeye fans, Jim Tressel is a hometown guy, countless number of buckeye players from my highschool. My highschool football coach played for Tressel at YSU. Its whats around me its what I relate to same with the Browns.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login