Skip to content

McCoy Signed

The Browns Board
108 30 7.8k
  • Lets just hope that either the kid (McCoy) eventually gets a fair shot or management deems him not what we need and calls him trade bait, personally i think the kid will win a lot games for some lucky team but not cleveland, colt likely isnt what mangina is looking for to man his anemic style offense...jake delhomme is exactly what mangini is looking for, a pre-potty broke QB that may wet the bed on game day but requires no further training which is good because mangini nor daboll appear to posess any offensive coaching capability whatsoever....based on 4 years of mangini's absolutely gutwrenchingly anemic offenses, lets hope gil can teach them a thing or two...πŸ˜‰

  • I'm not sure that people ever have been so upset about a 3rd round pick. I suspect that some of the same people who were in love with Travis Wilson are hating on McCoy.

    Get over yourselves, people.

  • A good read from Zac Jackson:

    McCoy impressed everybody in Berea with his work ethic, eagerness to learn and natural leadership in May and June before departing. Mangini likes his rookies to have time to do a load of laundry and get in a workout at their old high school before bringing them back to work, which is why the Browns are the first team to officially have camp rolling. McCoy found time to get married, and both he and the Browns knew it was important to get his contract done in time so he wouldn't miss a thing, even just an all-rookie meeting.

    What the Browns should be hoping is that McCoy's 2010 season starts now and essentially ends Sept. 2 when the preseason ends.

    That means he gets seven weeks to take snaps and real reps running the Browns' plays, gets a little live experience against second and third-team defenses (maybe a drive against the Bears' starters on Sept. 2) and then runs the scout team and holds the clipboard when the real games start, still learning but not getting his face or his confidence shattered in the process.

  • I look at him as I would any 3rd rounder . He's a "we'll see"

  • lets remember that if McCoy does nothing, we lose nothing.

  • I look at him as I would any 3rd rounder . He's a "we'll see"

    @neweradawg said:

    I look at him as I would any 3rd rounder . He's a "we'll see"

    i agree. i think it's way too early to say he's a bust or the qb of the future. i think he has alot of potential, though. we shall see.

    i do think he's in a good position by having people like holmgren and gil haskell to help bring him along. i think he'll be given a fair chance to show if he has it or not.

  • I'm ready to watch him play some football. not expecting anything, but i do remember his drive against the buckeyes in the fiesta bowl. He can control an offense.

  • I'm ready to watch him play some football. not expecting anything, but i do remember his drive against the buckeyes in the fiesta bowl. He can control an offense.

    @jlowe said:

    I'm ready to watch him play some football. not expecting anything, but i do remember his drive against the buckeyes in the fiesta bowl. He can control an offense.

    yeah, i'm really interested in seeing how he looks to. i know pre-season games are just pre-season games, but you can still see certain things about a player. i'll be looking at how colt manages the offense, how he works under pressure, how he protects the football, his accuracy and what kind of arm strength he has.

  • I'm ready to watch him play some football. not expecting anything, but i do remember his drive against the buckeyes in the fiesta bowl. He can control an offense.

    @jlowe said:

    I'm ready to watch him play some football. not expecting anything, but i do remember his drive against the buckeyes in the fiesta bowl. He can control an offense.

    For those interested in a refresher, here's that drive:

  • I'm ready to watch him play some football. not expecting anything, but i do remember his drive against the buckeyes in the fiesta bowl. He can control an offense.

    @jlowe said:

    I'm ready to watch him play some football. not expecting anything, but i do remember his drive against the buckeyes in the fiesta bowl. He can control an offense.

    That drive pissed me off so much...I was mother F-ing colt mccoy so bad that night. Hopefully some other teams will be mother F-ing him in the near future haha

  • A Alo

    @jlowe said:

    I'm ready to watch him play some football. not expecting anything, but i do remember his drive against the buckeyes in the fiesta bowl. He can control an offense.

    For those interested in a refresher, here's that drive:

    @alo said:

    For those interested in a refresher, here's that drive:

    ohio-state-crying-man.jpg

  • @alo said:

    For those interested in a refresher, here's that drive:

    ohio-state-crying-man.jpg

    @feartheroo said:

    ohio-state-crying-man.jpg

    ok Akron fan....because you guys win all the time! πŸ™„

  • ^^^^^That's funny shit!

  • @paxton said:

    The experts at National Scouting gave Jake Locker the same pre-season grade that they gave Colt McCoy last year. One guy is bigger and has a stronger arm, the other is more accurate and a more consistent decision-maker.

    Don't pretend they're in entirely different spheres just because you liked the Pickle more than McCoy.

    They're in WILDLY different spheres. McCoy was the 85th pick in the draft. Locker will go somewhere between #1 overall and #10 overall... unless he gets hurt.

    Not in the same conversation. With only one year in a pro style offense, Locker was considered a strong candidate to go #1 overall. With four years as a starter in Texas, McCoy was a late 3rd round pick.

    How are they in the same sphere? I don't get it.

    Hey, I have my doubts about McCoy at the next level... but he was worth some risk and a decent value that late. Why not? But Locker has earned Elway comparisons, and that's really rare. He has world class physical ability... and he's smart with a great work ethic, too. He left a lot of money on the table to develop for another year under Sark.

    @shepwrite said:

    They're in WILDLY different spheres. McCoy was the 85th pick in the draft. Locker will go somewhere between #1 overall and #10 overall... unless he gets hurt.

    Not in the same conversation. With only one year in a pro style offense, Locker was considered a strong candidate to go #1 overall. With four years as a starter in Texas, McCoy was a late 3rd round pick.

    How are they in the same sphere? I don't get it.

    Hey, I have my doubts about McCoy at the next level... but he was worth some risk and a decent value that late. Why not? But Locker has earned Elway comparisons, and that's really rare. He has world class physical ability... and he's smart with a great work ethic, too. He left a lot of money on the table to develop for another year under Sark.

    McCoy has earned Joe Montana and Drew Brees comparisons. How many Elways does it take to equal a Montana? You are just vowed and determined not to give McCoy any positive credit and there is no reason not to. Thus far in his career, which is obviously longer than anyone that might come up in 2011 or 2012, he has shown that he can win. Apparently you have a problem with winners?

  • @shepwrite said:

    They're in WILDLY different spheres. McCoy was the 85th pick in the draft. Locker will go somewhere between #1 overall and #10 overall... unless he gets hurt.

    Not in the same conversation. With only one year in a pro style offense, Locker was considered a strong candidate to go #1 overall. With four years as a starter in Texas, McCoy was a late 3rd round pick.

    How are they in the same sphere? I don't get it.

    Hey, I have my doubts about McCoy at the next level... but he was worth some risk and a decent value that late. Why not? But Locker has earned Elway comparisons, and that's really rare. He has world class physical ability... and he's smart with a great work ethic, too. He left a lot of money on the table to develop for another year under Sark.

    McCoy has earned Joe Montana and Drew Brees comparisons. How many Elways does it take to equal a Montana? You are just vowed and determined not to give McCoy any positive credit and there is no reason not to. Thus far in his career, which is obviously longer than anyone that might come up in 2011 or 2012, he has shown that he can win. Apparently you have a problem with winners?

    @the-hawg said:

    McCoy has earned Joe Montana and Drew Brees comparisons. How many Elways does it take to equal a Montana? You are just vowed and determined not to give McCoy any positive credit and there is no reason not to. Thus far in his career, which is obviously longer than anyone that might come up in 2011 or 2012, he has shown that he can win. Apparently you have a problem with winners?

    I agree that he doesn't have anything, or much of anything that says he can't be a good QB.

    While I can't say I really liked the kid, being a fan of Tebow has taught me some people just form opinions based on whatever their criteria might be and stick with it.

    McCoy is a 3rd round pick who is in a good situation.

    The next few years will determine if he has the pro game or not.

    I don't buy in to his arm isn't good enough any more than I listened to people talking about Tebows release or not being accurate.

    The fact is McCoy played at a high level at the highest level he could at that point of his football career so he has passed every test to this point.

    So there really isn't anything more we could ask for at this point. Now we just have to sit back and hope he passes the next test.

  • @feartheroo said:

    ohio-state-crying-man.jpg

    ok Akron fan....because you guys win all the time! πŸ™„

    @blowe said:

    ok Akron fan....because you guys win all the time! πŸ™„

    I don't care if we lose every game, I will never understand how people root for a school they have no connection to. I'd say 90% of OSUcks fans have never stepped foot inside a classroom there.

  • Cleveland Browns Fans Must Keep Things in Persepective with Colt McCoy

    By Daniel Wolf (Browns Featured Columnist) on July 26, 2010

    Cleveland Browns fans are passionate and all the blue-collar town wants is to see improvement and consistency from their beloved football team.

    Gone are the days of the quarterback controversy and mystery of which quarterback will start coming out of training camp and preseason and in is incumbent Jake Delhomme, who despite having a bad 2009 season in Carolina, is a veteran who brings a real leadership to the team for the first time since they last had a veteran quarterback in 2005.

    Granted that veteran was Trent Dilfer and that experiment went terribly wrong since he was benched for then-home town Akron quarterback Charlie Frye and Dilfer still has a bad taste in his mouth about being in Cleveland and you can tell every time he talks about Cleveland from his cushy broadcast chair on ESPN.

    But to digress, Browns fans are hungry for wins and they are so desperate to crown their next quarterback savior that they need to keep one thing in mind as training camp starts and preseason games are playedβ€”that is is only training camp and the preseason.

    Rookie quarterback and projected savior Colt McCoy is Browns president Mike Holmgren's pick from this past 2010 NFL Draft and even though Holmgren said McCoy will sit all 2010 long, never say never because things like injuries cannot be predicted.

    McCoy will see playing time both in training camp and in preseason games as part of his development process, but no matter how good his seems in camp, it is only practice.

    That goes for preseason games too because McCoy will see playing time and he could see a lot of it too, but he will be going up against third team defenses and he will probably not see any first team action against starting defensive units at all.

    So McCoy could easily light up opposing third stringers and this will definitely Browns fans exciting and ready to see him play in the regular season especially if Jake Delhomme falters, but think again because Seneca Wallace will step in as the No. 2 quarterback before McCoy gets under center against first stringers.

    The prospect of McCoy and his future of leading the Browns is a very promising thought, but this will not happen soon and will happen later.

    When will this occur?

    Even the Las Vegas odds makers cannot predict that.

    Just remember that McCoy's play in preseason, no matter how good he might play, is only a smaller glimmer of what would actually happen against starters, but also remember it is a great step in his develop to eventually become that starter that Browns fans have not had since the days of Tim Couch and Bernie Kosar.

    Browns fans just need to be patient and let the development process happen naturally even though that is easier said than done in a city that deeply desires a winning sports teams.

  • @blowe said:

    ok Akron fan....because you guys win all the time! πŸ™„

    I don't care if we lose every game, I will never understand how people root for a school they have no connection to. I'd say 90% of OSUcks fans have never stepped foot inside a classroom there.

    @feartheroo said:

    I don't care if we lose every game, I will never understand how people root for a school they have no connection to. I'd say 90% of OSUcks fans have never stepped foot inside a classroom there.

    Just like people from Florida cheer for the gators, Texans cheer for UT, Alabama cheers for the Tide, and people who were born and raised in ohio cheer for the Buckeyes. They are the face of their state and they represent their home. You are just a hater. My dad cheered for the Buckeyes and raised me to do the same. There are people from outside of Cleveland that cheer for the Browns because back when the Browns were the greatest team on Earth their fathers cheered for them. When you are raised with something you become attached to it.

    And as for the OSUcks comment...

    since Jim Tressel became coach

    2002 national champs with the first 14-0 season since 1897. No, not 1987...1897.

    3 National Championship appearances

    9 Bowl games

    4 BCS bowl wins

    So what if they lost 3 bowl games in a row? Not the end of the world. It is a winning program, period. HATE on HATER...(I would hate too if I went to Akron. I went to a few parties there and aside from them being total sausage fests 90% of the girls there I wouldn't have touched with a steel pole let alone my own pole.)

  • @blowe said:

    ok Akron fan....because you guys win all the time! πŸ™„

    I don't care if we lose every game, I will never understand how people root for a school they have no connection to. I'd say 90% of OSUcks fans have never stepped foot inside a classroom there.

    @feartheroo said:

    I don't care if we lose every game, I will never understand how people root for a school they have no connection to. I'd say 90% of OSUcks fans have never stepped foot inside a classroom there.

    Well, I am an Akron U alum, AND and an Ohio State fan. I don't see any conflict there at all.. I know that AU is not on the same level as OSU and by rights probably shouldn't even be playing them if not for the paycheck it gives them.

    And, I do come from The Buckeye State, and OSU is the Buckeyes.

    I have been watching Akron U basketball since the days of Bobby Smith and Lenny Paul....and I also see no conflict in rooting for OSU. It is the main school in our state and I like to see them do well. If Kent State is playing someone else other than AU, I don't really have a problem wishing them well either, like when the made the Elite 8 a few years back.

    I am also a CSU alum, and had a great time back in the days of Mouse McFadden and Kevin Mackey.

  • As for which round a Quality QB can come from, here is a bit of current statistical information: The following list is of the Top 11 all time passers in NFL history by yards, and where they were drafted:

    1. Favre 2d round

    2. Marino late 1st round

    3. Elway 1st round

    4. P. Manning 1st round

    5. Moon undrafted

    6. Tarkenton 3rd round

    7. Testaverde 1st round

    8. Bledsoe 1st round

    9. Fouts 3rd round

    10. Montana 3rd round

    11. Unitas 9th round.