Skip to content

What happened to WKNR?

The Browns Board
35 15 10.0k
  • On WKNR:

    1.Though I like him, Mark Munch Bishop is so ADHD it is hard to follow the guy. He can't keep a thought in his head for more than 2 seconds.

    2. Mike and Mike are good, but yea, as with all radio and TV these days, the commercials are daunting

    3. Rizzo can be OK, but that show is fully 3/4ths their own esoteric circle jerk. Half the comments are either where he is pushing his products or they are talking about what they did last night. Goldhammer is basically a whiny rich kid who sees his job as to be anti-Cleveland/Ohio. That is one thing, except he is too misinformed on facts and history.

    4. Rome can be tiring as his act gets old after a while.

    5. Reghi is more knowledgeable than any of the others, but he tries to be so bombastic it can be ridiculous

    6. Roda has improved. His pro-Steeler stance is fairly muted now, and I think he really is a true fan of the Cavs and OSU.

    7. Bentley and Cherry were brought in solely to have a minority presence on the station. Cherry seems a reasonable man, but Bentley is all about Bentley or all about the players. He has no clue how to relate to his audience who are merely fans.

    8. Despite what you all say, I still think Brinda is the most knowledgeable, experienced and capable of the broadcasters they have.

    9. People that some of you have mentioned, like Fedor or Sabrina or whoever, are simply minor characters who can be ignored, or they are on on weekend mornings when very few are listening.

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by SJ_Browns
    #19

    @the-gipper said:

    On WKNR:

    6. Roda has improved. His pro-Steeler stance is fairly muted now, and I think he really is a true fan of the Cavs and OSU.

    - roda became a cavs fan after lebron was drafted. what a coincidence. and he loves osu because they're a winning orginization. simple and plain, roda is a bandwagon fan. and roda loves pouring salt in cleveland fans wounds. he's force feeding people his dumb only bad things happen in cleveland rant. he even pushes it on people he talks to from the national media. he's a steeler fan and you can hear that if you read between the lines. he's way too negative.

    7. Bentley and Cherry were brought in solely to have a minority presence on the station. Cherry seems a reasonable man, but Bentley is all about Bentley or all about the players. He has no clue how to relate to his audience who are merely fans.

    - i disagree with this. both bentley and cherry started out by being interviewed on a wknr show like alot of athletes/former athletes have been. from that they were invited to come in on different shows as a guest host, esp. during football season. i think them getting a daily show (which originally started out as a weekly show) grew out of this and not a minority move.

    bentley seemed to become obnoxious when him and cherry first started doing x's and o's with the pros on a once a week basis. cherry is the more logical out of the two.

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Rizzo's goin ape shit on Goldhammer, I dont listen to the show very often but this is pretty entertaining

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, you can always watch him on STO.

    Also, there is a sports talk station at 1350 if you can get it.

    Where I am I cannot get KNR2 at 1540. In fact, I have like been inside Cuyahoga County a few times and couldn't get that station

    .

    i just found out about 1350 last week. what's up with that station? are they local or national? are there any good stations (sports related) for us clevelanders to listen to other than the usual suspects?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @sj_browns said:

    i just found out about 1350 last week. what's up with that station? are they local or national? are there any good stations (sports related) for us clevelanders to listen to other than the usual suspects?

    1350 is out of Akron, but it too has limited range or else its direction is away from where I am. I am mainly southwest of Akron. Their signal may be pointed northwest and northeast to pick up more of Cleveland area. They do a lot of national alternatives to ESPN, like Dan Patrick, Stephen A. Smith, some Foxsports, but they also have some local talkers, especially in the afternoon. They broadcast Aeros games and I think they do a lot of Akron U football and basketball as well.

  • S samoth wrote on last edited by
    #22

    same deal with the Fan in Columbus. It was already hard enough to listen to with Chris Spielman marblemouthing his way through one holier than thou diatribe after another. All anyone on that station does is badmouth Cleveland and praise Ohio State unendingly. I stopped listening months ago because I couldn't handle the contant negativity they spew.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Here is something you may not have known about WKNR: It is the successor to WJW AM radio.

    Why is WJW AM radio important in broadcasting history? It is the station that Alan Freed worked at when he invented the term "Rock n' Roll". Freed of course played a lot of Rock n Roll music in late 1951 and early 1952. In March of 1952 he promoted the Moondog Coronation Ball, credited as being the first rock n' roll concert in history.

    So, in essence, rock n' roll was "invented" (or at least given that name) on what is today WKNR.

  • same deal with the Fan in Columbus. It was already hard enough to listen to with Chris Spielman marblemouthing his way through one holier than thou diatribe after another. All anyone on that station does is badmouth Cleveland and praise Ohio State unendingly. I stopped listening months ago because I couldn't handle the contant negativity they spew.

    djdawg2010D djdawg2010 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @samoth said:

    same deal with the Fan in Columbus. It was already hard enough to listen to with Chris Spielman marblemouthing his way through one holier than thou diatribe after another. All anyone on that station does is badmouth Cleveland and praise Ohio State unendingly. I stopped listening months ago because I couldn't handle the contant negativity they spew.

    I heard that Columbus actually has an inferiority complex about Cleveland. I suppose I can see why. While Columbus proper has a larger population (only because of annexation) the metro area is about half the size. Plus they have the Buckeyes, and the Blue Jackets as the only major league sport down there.

    Did anyone hear LeCharles last night? I caught bits and pieces of the show. He expressed his opinion about players taking performance enhancement drugs and his thought that if sports are entertainment then players should be able to choose if they want to use them or not. Go figure. After awhile it becomes ubearable listening to him and Rhoda together, and then Cherry, because all they do is try to out talk each other!

  • Rizzo's goin ape shit on Goldhammer, I dont listen to the show very often but this is pretty entertaining

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #25

    nmills said:

    Rizzo's goin ape shit on Goldhammer, I dont listen to the show very often but this is pretty entertaining

    what happened?

  • @samoth said:

    same deal with the Fan in Columbus. It was already hard enough to listen to with Chris Spielman marblemouthing his way through one holier than thou diatribe after another. All anyone on that station does is badmouth Cleveland and praise Ohio State unendingly. I stopped listening months ago because I couldn't handle the contant negativity they spew.

    I heard that Columbus actually has an inferiority complex about Cleveland. I suppose I can see why. While Columbus proper has a larger population (only because of annexation) the metro area is about half the size. Plus they have the Buckeyes, and the Blue Jackets as the only major league sport down there.

    Did anyone hear LeCharles last night? I caught bits and pieces of the show. He expressed his opinion about players taking performance enhancement drugs and his thought that if sports are entertainment then players should be able to choose if they want to use them or not. Go figure. After awhile it becomes ubearable listening to him and Rhoda together, and then Cherry, because all they do is try to out talk each other!

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @djdawg2010 said:

    Did anyone hear LeCharles last night? I caught bits and pieces of the show. He expressed his opinion about players taking performance enhancement drugs and his thought that if sports are entertainment then players should be able to choose if they want to use them or not. Go figure. After awhile it becomes ubearable listening to him and Rhoda together, and then Cherry, because all they do is try to out talk each other!

    i heard a little bit of it. i turned it on for a sec just to see about the browns rookie signings. lecharles is just a different kind of person. he says some stuff that is beyond unbelievable. wknr is getting worse as the days go by.

  • nmills said:

    Rizzo's goin ape shit on Goldhammer, I dont listen to the show very often but this is pretty entertaining

    what happened?

    C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @sj_browns said:

    what happened?

    give it a listen, you gotta listen to the whole thing

    http://www.stationcaster.com/player.php?s=...476&f=54528

  • F flipflop wrote on last edited by
    #28

    I always liked listening to Kevin KEANE.

    I like Bruce Drennan and Greg Brinda.

    thanks for the knr link.

    Knr management pisses me off..Karmazin Jnr is in over his head..But you cant tell a kid with money he is wrong. Aint that right Aaron

  • same deal with the Fan in Columbus. It was already hard enough to listen to with Chris Spielman marblemouthing his way through one holier than thou diatribe after another. All anyone on that station does is badmouth Cleveland and praise Ohio State unendingly. I stopped listening months ago because I couldn't handle the contant negativity they spew.

    listercatL listercat wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @samoth said:

    same deal with the Fan in Columbus. It was already hard enough to listen to with Chris Spielman marblemouthing his way through one holier than thou diatribe after another. All anyone on that station does is badmouth Cleveland and praise Ohio State unendingly. I stopped listening months ago because I couldn't handle the contant negativity they spew.

    I could not agree more; I cannot stand the constant degradation of everything Cleveland whilst bombastically praising everything Ohio State with the emotion of a television preacher crying for money....or love gift for tax purposes

  • listercatL listercat wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Now I listen simply to 610; yeah they have to report on OSU but at least it is not 100% 24 / 7

  • S SiperBowl wrote on last edited by
    #31

    why i stopped listening

    big_Mike%20Trivisonno01.jpg

    trivisasauge

  • why i stopped listening

    big_Mike%20Trivisonno01.jpg

    trivisasauge

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @siperbowl said:

    why i stopped listening

    big_Mike%20Trivisonno01.jpg

    trivisasauge

    Trivisonno is not on WKNR. And how much sports talk does he do nowadays? Maybe 10-20% of his programming if that?

  • @siperbowl said:

    why i stopped listening

    big_Mike%20Trivisonno01.jpg

    trivisasauge

    Trivisonno is not on WKNR. And how much sports talk does he do nowadays? Maybe 10-20% of his programming if that?

    S SiperBowl wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @the-gipper said:

    Trivisonno is not on WKNR. And how much sports talk does he do nowadays? Maybe 10-20% of his programming if that?

    i stopped listening about 5 years ago to all sports talk radio, its to depressing

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #34

    I called out Chris Fedor on twitter and he actually replied and we had a little back in forth, you gotta respect him for that even though 99% of what he says is BS.

    I never listened to the show until this thread was brought up now I listen everyday, who else is talking browns at 9 in the mourning.

  • I called out Chris Fedor on twitter and he actually replied and we had a little back in forth, you gotta respect him for that even though 99% of what he says is BS.

    I never listened to the show until this thread was brought up now I listen everyday, who else is talking browns at 9 in the mourning.

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by SJ_Browns
    #35

    nmills said:

    I called out Chris Fedor on twitter and he actually replied and we had a little back in forth, you gotta respect him for that even though 99% of what he says is BS.

    I never listened to the show until this thread was brought up now I listen everyday, who else is talking browns at 9 in the mourning.

    and that's probably why most of the guys on wknr treat fans like crap. they know that they're the only true cleveland sports talk show and fans have no where else to go, so they think they can get away with dissing fans.

    i like reghi, darryl ruiter(sp?) and jason gibbs. rizzo is ok, but his pessimism gets in the way sometimes. his co-hosts are unbearable. i'll only listen if i know he's going to interview someone worthwhile or when the sports center 30 minute updates and browns tc updates come one. muench is ok, i listen to him sometimes to.

    if you listen to rizzo's show long enough, about a year or so, you'll start to see what i mean and you'll get tired of it. and you haven't even heard the show yet with fedor AND aarron goldhammer on there together. goldhammer is on vacation, but when he gets back, you'll really see what i mean.