Third Round QBs
-
I think all of those things can help a quarterback be the best of what he is... but those environmental advantages don't create a great quarterback. They aren't tofu. The main reason a quarterback is great... is that he's great.
Generally, I don't disagree with this. But many potentially great QB's were ruined because of less than ideal situations, systems, and coaching decisions.
Generally, I don't disagree with this. But many potentially great QB's were ruined because of less than ideal situations, systems, and coaching decisions.
I think we're in agreement.
Think of Orton last year: Absolutely PERFECT situation. Great protection, great running game, great receivers, great offensive coach, and he's been around a while, gained some experience. Oh, and he was healthy all year.
Given all those advantages... he was okay. He was the best that Kyle Orton can be, or at least it seems that way.
What would a really GOOD quarterback have done with all that gravy?
-
Zombo said:
I guess we'll find out now that your man Quinn is in town.Zombo
And he wonders why nobody want's to listen about who he thinks the Browns should of drafted. The last guy he thought was great had a total of what, 16 completed passes in his last 2 games?. Yea, he really knows talent when he see's it.
-
Peen, one of the reasons I only went back to 1995 was because of the situation you describe: the expanded number of teams drafting. Though I think in Tarkenton's case he would have been a mid to early second rounder today given his draft position.
Everything I find shows Fran drafted in the 29th slot of the draft. Is there something I am missing here??
If he was the 29th player taken this past draft he would have been selected in the 1st round.
But more on the point of the thread....Colt fell for a reason just as Brady Q fell...and we found out why, so I am not going to get all excited over the guy. I am hopeful he plays well.
So far he has passed all the tests in HS and college.....now he has to pass the NFl test...maybe he becomes a Montana type, maybe a frye type.
Odds are it will be closer to Frye, but here's hoping not.
Cheers!
Everything I find shows Fran drafted in the 29th slot of the draft. Is there something I am missing here??
If he was the 29th player taken this past draft he would have been selected in the 1st round.
OK, I guess I didn't see that. I thought he was like 45 or 50th
But more on the point of the thread....Colt fell for a reason just as Brady Q fell...and we found out why, so I am not going to get all excited over the guy. I am hopeful he plays well.
So far he has passed all the tests in HS and college.....now he has to pass the NFl test...maybe he becomes a Montana type, maybe a frye type.
Odds are it will be closer to Frye, but here's hoping not.
Yes, and that is why I provided this list, to demonstrate the apparent long odds of a 3rd round QB becoming a Pro Bowl caliber QB. As I showed, in the past 15 years only one QB drafted in that round was Pro Bowl caliber.
Cheers!
-
People use the word great to often . It has taken something away from our language if you ask me .
People use the word great to often . It has taken something away from our language if you ask me .
That is why I just used the term "Pro Bowl caliber". I didn't do the research specifically, but like I said, I think maybe one guy made a Pro Bowl who was drafted in the third round.
-
I'm not concerned about where McCoy was drafted. Given his performance in college, his INDICATED future in the NFL looks pretty good. I think this is why MH pulled the trigger at pick 85. With his INDICATED ability to play in the NFL effectively, I think the Browns got a bargain.
BTW, I realize this is a qb thread, but with the lists being thrown aroun, I wonder what the same breakouts would show for linebackers, offensive linemen, wide receivers, etc.
I'm not concerned about where McCoy was drafted. Given his performance in college, his INDICATED future in the NFL looks pretty good. I think this is why MH pulled the trigger at pick 85. With his INDICATED ability to play in the NFL effectively, I think the Browns got a bargain.
BTW, I realize this is a qb thread, but with the lists being thrown aroun, I wonder what the same breakouts would show for linebackers, offensive linemen, wide receivers, etc.
I would venture to say it is pretty similar. Maybe we will put you in charge of coming up with that data?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login