Skip to content

Hello from Cheesehead-land!

The Browns Board
34 15 4.3k
  • I just thought I'd drop in to say hi, and give you an early welcome to Lambeau in a couple of weeks!

    I know it's only pre-season and we won't see much, but I'm so excited that the season is almost here again. I'm *so* *over* staring at my tomato and pepper plants like I think they're going to do something new! πŸ™„

    I've read some on your board and it sounds to me like you might surprise some people. Lots of off-season action and draft movements. Of course, I really like Holmgren!

    As for us? Well, we'll see. We shored up our O-line a bit. Looks like Bigby, Starks, and Harris are on PUP. I really think Rogers is a special guy so we need to protect him, and a repeat of last years' 50 sacks will *not* do that, will it?

    Well, just sitting here in SE WI. I'm not nibbling on cheese (which I have a LOT of), but I am enjoying a beer or two, so I guess everything they say about us is true! πŸ˜†

    Here's to a good game!

  • Welcome PackersFan..........I always enjoy games with GB in them . I think A. rodgers is a great QB in the making and I also think highly of your D . Many of us are very happy to have "The Show" . He just exudes opptimisim and good feelings .

  • It will be a good test on our DB"s with Rogers at the helm.

    The first half should be a good showing, I hope that it will make it on tv so I can watch it.

  • Thank you for the welcomes! πŸ™‚

    I also think highly of your D

    Thank you very much! I think a lot of them, too. I have to admit, we have some weapons defensively. Woodson is a beast (an aging beast, unfortunately; but a beast none the less). If anyone can come back from Harris' injury, it's Harris. Let's not state the obvious, which is that he's also a bit long in the tooth. Nick Collins, Burnett......can't complain at all. I think Clay Matthews had an incredible rookie year. Perhaps a beast-in-the-making?

    He is the Walrus.

    He really is, isn't he? Although I very much like Mike McCarthy, and Holmgren has been gone for years......I'm still in mourning. πŸ™‚

    Grab a beer!

    I shall! Thanks!

    It will be a good test on our DB"s with Rogers at the helm.

    Well, of course that would be one scenario. πŸ˜†

    Let's look at a couple of others.

    Scenario #1:

    Rodgers holds onto the ball just a bit too long.

    Rodgers gets ground into the dirt.

    Now in this sitch, there is a possible upside for us. Sometimes when Rodgers is scrambling around, really good things happen.

    Scenario #2:

    Rodgers drops back, our Offensive line crumbles like a 6-pack of pudding cups.

    Rodgers gets ground into the dirt.

    No upside for us.

    Can you tell I'm apprehensive about the O-line? Now, to be honest, they did improve a *lot* in the second half of the season after Tausch and Clifty were back. (Yes, they are beloved, yes, they are old. ~sigh~)

    I'm still reading through the threads to learn more about your players. I see some *major* positive things going on here! You (collectively) must be really optimistic!

  • I really like the Packers, Rogers, and the fan base. The Packers are one of the few teams I root for outside of Cleveland. It's a classy orginization and they have terrible weather and team colors which as a Browns fan, I can appreciate and properly respect.

  • I really like the Packers, Rogers, and the fan base. The Packers are one of the few teams I root for outside of Cleveland. It's a classy orginization and they have terrible weather and team colors which as a Browns fan, I can appreciate and properly respect.

    @mopaji said:

    I really like the Packers, Rogers, and the fan base. The Packers are one of the few teams I root for outside of Cleveland. It's a classy orginization and they have terrible weather and team colors which as a Browns fan, I can appreciate and properly respect.

    Agree....I have vacationed up on that Door County peninsula, and Packer fans are pretty cool. It was neat to drive by "the frozen tundra" as well.

  • Welcome to the show, thanks for the post.

  • welcome to the brownsboard and thanks for the classy post, packfan.

  • To me, the MOST embarassing game of the season last year was the Browns defeat at home by The Packers. 31-3 and the Browns only gained 81 yards passing and 58 rushing.

    And, unfortuneatly, that game was almost typical. So, our enthusiasm for what happened in the last 4 games of the season has to be tempered somewhat by what happened in the first 12 games. Hopefully, this year, the Browns will be that team that played those final 4 games and not the one that showed up to play the Packers last year.

  • Welcome Pack fan. I don't think there is a person on the board that dislikes the Packers franchise. They are a class franchise and a hard nosed city with great fans, just like the Browns. There are many similarities. Good luck this season.

    - From an ex-Eagle River citizen.

  • Thank you for the welcomes! πŸ™‚

    I also think highly of your D

    Thank you very much! I think a lot of them, too. I have to admit, we have some weapons defensively. Woodson is a beast (an aging beast, unfortunately; but a beast none the less). If anyone can come back from Harris' injury, it's Harris. Let's not state the obvious, which is that he's also a bit long in the tooth. Nick Collins, Burnett......can't complain at all. I think Clay Matthews had an incredible rookie year. Perhaps a beast-in-the-making?

    He is the Walrus.

    He really is, isn't he? Although I very much like Mike McCarthy, and Holmgren has been gone for years......I'm still in mourning. πŸ™‚

    Grab a beer!

    I shall! Thanks!

    It will be a good test on our DB"s with Rogers at the helm.

    Well, of course that would be one scenario. πŸ˜†

    Let's look at a couple of others.

    Scenario #1:

    Rodgers holds onto the ball just a bit too long.

    Rodgers gets ground into the dirt.

    Now in this sitch, there is a possible upside for us. Sometimes when Rodgers is scrambling around, really good things happen.

    Scenario #2:

    Rodgers drops back, our Offensive line crumbles like a 6-pack of pudding cups.

    Rodgers gets ground into the dirt.

    No upside for us.

    Can you tell I'm apprehensive about the O-line? Now, to be honest, they did improve a *lot* in the second half of the season after Tausch and Clifty were back. (Yes, they are beloved, yes, they are old. ~sigh~)

    I'm still reading through the threads to learn more about your players. I see some *major* positive things going on here! You (collectively) must be really optimistic!

    @packfanperson said:

    ...... I think Clay Matthews had an incredible rookie year. Perhaps a beast-in-the-making?

    If you didn't know already, Clay Matthew Jr's father is a GOD around these parts, and for many of us, our favorite player ever.

    We would give our left testicle for the kid.

    A.J. Hawk was a huge fan favorite for those local who are also Buckeye fans.

    Like others said here in so many words, we can relate to Packer fans, the weather, the colors, the rabid fan base.

    Good Luck this season.

  • I hate the Packers! They are sooo full of themselves. And the fans are the worst in the NFL! Even worse then the Bengals. Just joking with you all. I figured it would be fun to act like one of the Steeler trolls for a moment.

    I do like the Packers, respect the great fans, and would love to see my new favorite player (Clay Matthews III) have a super career and make the HOF. Thanks for the post.

  • Welcome packfan!

    If i wasnt born doing a life sentence as a browns fan i would be a cheesehead for sure...classy fans, city and football organization, best of luck this year...GO BROWNS!

  • It always nice to get other team fans in here that aren't D-bags!, *cough cough, Squealer Trolls, Cough Cough**

    welcome to The Browns Board!, and like you said, see you in a few weeks!

  • Browns fans, if you ever get a chance to see a Packers game (any opponent), DON'T pass it up. A Packers game has got to be the ultimate NFL experience. The last time the Browns played there, i drove up to Milwaukee and picked up my son (Marquette U.) and then headed north to Green Bay. Lambeau Field is like a cathedral- beautiful in and out. The tailgate parties were everywhere and the fans are as classy as you've ever met. The Packer HOF is right in the stadium, and we visited it before the game.

    At that particular game, the Packers retired Reggie White's jersey, and his daughter sang the national anthem. Favre broke some passing record during the game. The Browns won the game (thanks to some crappy clock management by the home team). That made the long drive home on Monday morning much easier to manage.

    Stan used to have some pics of that trip on his website. i wonder if they are still around.

    One of our best tailgate parties last year was before the Packers game. We hosted a large group of about 20, plus a few other couples wearing their green jerseys. We'll not talk about the way that game turned out.

  • Browns fans, if you ever get a chance to see a Packers game (any opponent), DON'T pass it up. A Packers game has got to be the ultimate NFL experience. The last time the Browns played there, i drove up to Milwaukee and picked up my son (Marquette U.) and then headed north to Green Bay. Lambeau Field is like a cathedral- beautiful in and out. The tailgate parties were everywhere and the fans are as classy as you've ever met. The Packer HOF is right in the stadium, and we visited it before the game.

    At that particular game, the Packers retired Reggie White's jersey, and his daughter sang the national anthem. Favre broke some passing record during the game. The Browns won the game (thanks to some crappy clock management by the home team). That made the long drive home on Monday morning much easier to manage.

    Stan used to have some pics of that trip on his website. i wonder if they are still around.

    One of our best tailgate parties last year was before the Packers game. We hosted a large group of about 20, plus a few other couples wearing their green jerseys. We'll not talk about the way that game turned out.

    @roach said:

    Stan used to have some pics of that trip on his website. i wonder if they are still around.

    Right here brother; http://www.thebrownsboard.com/green_bay_revisited.htm

    I still save the first shot you wussed out on in 1999.

  • Wow! Thanks again for the overwhelming welcome. Sorry I couldn't check in for a couple of days! I was in South Dakota.

    ATENEARS, thank you so much for posting the pics of roach's Lambeau visit! I loved Reggie White.

    If you didn't know already, Clay Matthew Jr's father is a GOD around these parts, and for many of us, our favorite player ever.

    They have quite a football family, don't they? CM3 is just such a natural. Sooooooo smart and instinctive. On the Packer's board I post on, I use his pic as my avatar.

    They are a class franchise and a hard nosed city with great fans, just like the Browns. There are many similarities.

    That's a perfect way to state it. I feel the same way.

    I hate the Packers! They are sooo full of themselves. And the fans are the worst in the NFL! Even worse then the Bengals. Just joking with you all. I figured it would be fun to act like one of the Steeler trolls for a moment.

    πŸ˜† :lol:

    Too funny! For a second I wondered if I had inadvertently wandered onto a board all draped in purple. Apologies in advance to any Vikings fans out there, but I only have one word about what the F-word is putting you through today.....and that is...

    .

    .

    .

    .

    *snicker* πŸ™„

    Thanks again for all the nice comments and welcomes. I really appreciate it.

    I've been enjoying your training camp thread a *lot*, and it's really helped me get a lot more familiar with your players and your traditions!

    In the interest of sharing traditions, I think you would enjoy this link. One of our training camp traditions is the players riding kid's bikes from Lambeau over to the practice field. Every day, the kids and their parents line up and the players chose a bike....hang out for a while talking......signing autographs etc.

    http://www.packers.com/media-center/photo-...84-67fcba45a96f

    (note whose picture is first...lol!)

    Here's Nick Collins doing the bike thing (short video). I included it because it gives a great representation of the whole ~vibe~.

    http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos...48-4aeda5df5ad0

    πŸ™‚

  • it's refreshing to have a fan of another team come to this board showing intellect and respect. the whole antagonistic thing is way passed tired. who wants to argue all of the time?

  • Wow! Thanks again for the overwhelming welcome. Sorry I couldn't check in for a couple of days! I was in South Dakota.

    ATENEARS, thank you so much for posting the pics of roach's Lambeau visit! I loved Reggie White.

    If you didn't know already, Clay Matthew Jr's father is a GOD around these parts, and for many of us, our favorite player ever.

    They have quite a football family, don't they? CM3 is just such a natural. Sooooooo smart and instinctive. On the Packer's board I post on, I use his pic as my avatar.

    They are a class franchise and a hard nosed city with great fans, just like the Browns. There are many similarities.

    That's a perfect way to state it. I feel the same way.

    I hate the Packers! They are sooo full of themselves. And the fans are the worst in the NFL! Even worse then the Bengals. Just joking with you all. I figured it would be fun to act like one of the Steeler trolls for a moment.

    πŸ˜† :lol:

    Too funny! For a second I wondered if I had inadvertently wandered onto a board all draped in purple. Apologies in advance to any Vikings fans out there, but I only have one word about what the F-word is putting you through today.....and that is...

    .

    .

    .

    .

    *snicker* πŸ™„

    Thanks again for all the nice comments and welcomes. I really appreciate it.

    I've been enjoying your training camp thread a *lot*, and it's really helped me get a lot more familiar with your players and your traditions!

    In the interest of sharing traditions, I think you would enjoy this link. One of our training camp traditions is the players riding kid's bikes from Lambeau over to the practice field. Every day, the kids and their parents line up and the players chose a bike....hang out for a while talking......signing autographs etc.

    http://www.packers.com/media-center/photo-...84-67fcba45a96f

    (note whose picture is first...lol!)

    Here's Nick Collins doing the bike thing (short video). I included it because it gives a great representation of the whole ~vibe~.

    http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos...48-4aeda5df5ad0

    πŸ™‚

    @packfanperson said:

    I've been enjoying your training camp thread a *lot*, and it's really helped me get a lot more familiar with your players and your traditions!

    In the interest of sharing traditions, I think you would enjoy this link. One of our training camp traditions is the players riding kid's bikes from Lambeau over to the practice field. Every day, the kids and their parents line up and the players chose a bike....hang out for a while talking......signing autographs etc.

    http://www.packers.com/media-center/photo-...84-67fcba45a96f

    (note whose picture is first...lol!)

    Here's Nick Collins doing the bike thing (short video). I included it because it gives a great representation of the whole ~vibe~.

    http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos...48-4aeda5df5ad0

    πŸ™‚

    That is very cool. I enjoyed that video segment of Packers riding the kids bikes to the field. Awesome tradition, thanks for sharing.

  • You're welcome!

    I love it when we play teams I like. πŸ™‚

    would love to see my new favorite player (Clay Matthews III) have a super career and make the HOF

    I totally missed this. Here he is a couple of days ago in a locker room interview:

    http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos...c8-5faddff5bcc8

    I realize that everyone is perfectly capable of looking this up themselves..... πŸ˜† .......but with his dad's history here, I figure you might enjoy it. Man, he's so well-spoken and adept with the media for a second year guy (thanks, dad)!

    The Packers had a day off today, so nothing new and exciting (with the exception of Favre's possible pervy-ness) and no new injuries.

    πŸ™‚