Skip to content

Misery to Joy Index

The Browns Board
7 5 1.1k
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I put this link on another thread in a discussion there but I thought it deserved its own thread.

    http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Artic...e_rankings.html

    This article, it is to be noted, is over two years old, so it would probably need to be updated (example, the two franchises rated worst and next to worst have each since appeared in a Super Bowl, one of them winning). Nevertheless, the analysis is interesting and covers the gamut of all 32 teams.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #2

    Thanks.

    No doubt had we done a little something over the last 40 years we would be a top 5..

    I think our day is near.

    I like to think I came in with a nice run and will go out with a nice run.

    Realistically, I might have 15 good years left....God willing...and then a year or two on the downward spiral before the great adventure we all face, so....yeah...that's how it's going to be.

  • Thanks.

    No doubt had we done a little something over the last 40 years we would be a top 5..

    I think our day is near.

    I like to think I came in with a nice run and will go out with a nice run.

    Realistically, I might have 15 good years left....God willing...and then a year or two on the downward spiral before the great adventure we all face, so....yeah...that's how it's going to be.

    B blowe wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @ballpeen said:

    Thanks.

    No doubt had we done a little something over the last 40 years we would be a top 5..

    I think out day is near.

    I like to think I came in with a nice run and will go out with a nice run.

    Realistically, I might have 15 good years left....God willing...and then a year or two on the downward spiral before the great adventure we all face, so....yeah...that's how it's going to be.

    And the award for morbid post of the year goes to.....

    jk man 😛

  • @ballpeen said:

    Thanks.

    No doubt had we done a little something over the last 40 years we would be a top 5..

    I think out day is near.

    I like to think I came in with a nice run and will go out with a nice run.

    Realistically, I might have 15 good years left....God willing...and then a year or two on the downward spiral before the great adventure we all face, so....yeah...that's how it's going to be.

    And the award for morbid post of the year goes to.....

    jk man 😛

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @blowe said:

    And the award for morbid post of the year goes to.....

    jk man 😛

    As you get older you start to accept there will be a end.

    As a young guy it sounds morbid....I understand that....as a guy in his 60's, it becomes the reality you face.

  • NewEraDawgN NewEraDawg wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Amen bro

  • D daddybull1 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    I understand you Peen, since I'll soon turn 67..

    I remember 64 when we won it all..I was in college and a frat brother from Cleveland brought us to Cleveland to celebrate our championship.. We must have hit every bar in the city...

    That championship was a bit matter-of-fact since we had dominated the NFL for the past decade.. If Jim Brown hadn't retired we probably would have changed NFL history cause that dude was nothing but about winning... This time around will be some kind of show....

    Peace

    T.Dawg

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #7

    For those who didn't read the article what this Misery to Joy Index tries to do is measure the amount of "Misery" a franchise has suffered from losing against the amount of "Joy" that has come to a franchise through celebratory games such as conference and league title game appearances, titles, and great players and coaches that have gone through an organization. Also in this manner it can compare a relatively young franchise like the Ravens or Texans to much older franchises.

    Here are the Bottom 5:

    32. Cardinals

    31. Saints

    30. Texans

    29. Falcons

    28. Bengals

    Remember, this article was written 2 years ago, before the Cards appeared in the SB, and before the Saints won the SB. If recalculated the Saints would almost certainly move up, but I am not so sure about the Cards. Maybe.

    The Top Ten are:

    1. Packers

    2. Cowboys

    3. Giants

    4. Bears

    5. 49ers

    6. Raiders

    7. Redskins

    8. Steelers

    9. Browns

    10. Dolphins

    In the last two years there certainly could have been some movement among the Top Ten. The Steelers winning a SB wold probably vault them above the Skins and Raiders. I doubt the Browns would move at all given the nature of the author's analysis. He stated that the Browns arguably have had the greatest coach (PB), greatest QB (Otto), greatest RB(JB), and greatest versatile talent (Groza) and greatest dynasty in the history of football.

    I am sure that with a few developments this list could change. Example, given their short histories the Ravens and the Texans could vault drastically if they were to win a title. The Ravens were just outside the Top Ten, and are considered a potential title favorite.