Skip to content

Abe Elam Blog

The Browns Board
9 8 1.6k
  • More Meetings Than the President

    Written by Abe Elam, Sunday August 08 2010

    The season starts now and our goal is to be in Dallas in February. I’m excited about the upcoming season and to be back working with these guys.

    Training camp is going real well so far. Guys are flying around on the field, it’s very competitive and progress is being made.

    We made some great additions in the secondary with Sheldon Brown and rookies T.J. Ward, Larry Asante and Joe Haden. Joe is doing real well although his pockets are a little heavy after signing his 50 million dollar deal. I’ll try to help him out with that problem and have the rookie spend a few dollars on defensive backs in the room. He’s been great, he came in excited to work and to learn. His little brother Jordan and my little brother Matt are starting camp together at the University of Florida. It’s been great in the meeting room, I think the rookies understand that they were successful at the college level but the game changes at this level and communication is very key. They’re students of the game and I really enjoy that interaction. Joe, Larry and T.J. all seem like they want to learn what it takes to be successful.

    On a typical day of two-a-day practices, I’m up at 7:30, hot tub, stretch, get dressed and out on the field for warmups and prepare for practice. We practice until about 10:45, then do some media and sign some autographs.

    Come back in and take a cold tub, shower, try to get a quick nap or get some things done over the phone, take care of my responsibilities.

    Back for meetings around 1 and we have meetings until about 4:45. I think I have more meetings than the President. Special teams, offense, defense, positional meetings, then another meeting to install the defense, then with the position coach again to go over what we ran through at practice.

    After meetings, back into the hot tub, tape up, do it all over again with another practice and then get home by 8:45 or 9. Study the playbook for an hour, spend time with the family and lights out by 11.

    The days we have only one practice, we have more meetings. We watch film of the practice we just had and correct the things we did wrong.

    I feel like I came in in great shape. I passed my conditioning test and made my weight. I feel healthy and I’m off to a good start. My training in the off-season has paid off, I’m moving a lot better and my body feels good.

    I also want to send a shout-out to Brian Smith of the PR department. The Browns have one of the best PR departments in the league, and it’s nice to have good people on your side.

  • Now if abe could only get about 1 second faster in the 40, learn to actually ballhawk, learn how to shed/avoid blockers and learn how to tackle he might have a chance to become mediocre..

    In my mind abe is as far from being a prototypical safety as DA is of being a prototypical QB..

    I do like his blog and his gift of writing and vs his often horrendous playing skills i have to wonder if he chose the wrong profession..😉

    I see a lot of people that think he has room to improve as a player, i however think he is physically and skillset limited and cannot improve much if any..speed and awareness are gifts that you have or you dont have and im guessing abe lacks them both..

  • Now if abe could only get about 1 second faster in the 40, learn to actually ballhawk, learn how to shed/avoid blockers and learn how to tackle he might have a chance to become mediocre..

    In my mind abe is as far from being a prototypical safety as DA is of being a prototypical QB..

    I do like his blog and his gift of writing and vs his often horrendous playing skills i have to wonder if he chose the wrong profession..😉

    I see a lot of people that think he has room to improve as a player, i however think he is physically and skillset limited and cannot improve much if any..speed and awareness are gifts that you have or you dont have and im guessing abe lacks them both..

    @gips said:

    Now if abe could only get about 1 second faster in the 40, learn to actually ballhawk, learn how to shed/avoid blockers and learn how to tackle he might have a chance to become mediocre..

    In my mind abe is as far from being a prototypical safety as DA is of being a prototypical QB..

    I do like his blog and his gift of writing and vs his often horrendous playing skills i have to wonder if he chose the wrong profession..😉

    I see a lot of people that think he has room to improve as a player, i however think he is physically and skillset limited and cannot improve much if any..speed and awareness are gifts that you have or you dont have and im guessing abe lacks them both..

    It's tough to play safety in the NFL when EVERYBODY in the secondary needs help over the top, every reciever minus the guy lined across wright needs a double team, while needing to step up into the box to help stop the run. Having more talent around him this year will make him a lot better, and by the sounds of that blog he's exactly the type of guy that can help our rooks improve as football players and stay out of jail

  • Now if abe could only get about 1 second faster in the 40, learn to actually ballhawk, learn how to shed/avoid blockers and learn how to tackle he might have a chance to become mediocre..

    In my mind abe is as far from being a prototypical safety as DA is of being a prototypical QB..

    I do like his blog and his gift of writing and vs his often horrendous playing skills i have to wonder if he chose the wrong profession..😉

    I see a lot of people that think he has room to improve as a player, i however think he is physically and skillset limited and cannot improve much if any..speed and awareness are gifts that you have or you dont have and im guessing abe lacks them both..

    @gips said:

    Now if abe could only get about 1 second faster in the 40, learn to actually ballhawk, learn how to shed/avoid blockers and learn how to tackle he might have a chance to become mediocre..

    In my mind abe is as far from being a prototypical safety as DA is of being a prototypical QB..

    I do like his blog and his gift of writing and vs his often horrendous playing skills i have to wonder if he chose the wrong profession.. 😉

    I see a lot of people that think he has room to improve as a player, i however think he is physically and skillset limited and cannot improve much if any..speed and awareness are gifts that you have or you dont have and im guessing abe lacks them both..

    Wonder what it is that Mangini and Ryan sees in him ?? Must be the writing huh ? lol

  • I think Adams is better . I also think Sorenson is very good in his roles .

  • Abe Elam blows! He is the ultimate non-impact player on this defense. You can go a whole

    game without seeing him make a play. Personally, as soon as Ward and Asante are ready I

    hope they play. They have to have more of an impact than Elam.

  • FINALLY! The first person from the Browns organization this year saying that our goal is the super bowl! Who would've thought? Most everyone else is saying "progress is a good thing" but no one is saying Superbowl let alone playoffs. I know about being realistic and what not but someone needs to set the bar high. Right now, its a possibility for all 32 teams. Lets make it happen!
  • I have never been sold on Elam, he's the kind of safety that dives on a downed player, slow and not instinctive.

    I also questioned his personal attitude last season - this blog at least lets me think he has improved that. Jury's still out with Abe - he has to change up several gears for me.

  • mikeyP72 said:

    He's an upgrade over Nick Sorensen and Adams, even Pool. Give the guy a break he played a role in one of the worst secondaries in the NFL, lets see what he does on a decent squad.

    BINGO! Let's see what happens with a more cohesive unit in that secondary.

    Mike