Skip to content

Peyton Hillis

The Browns Board
86 38 11.9k
  • @the-hawg said:

    Yeah, the Broncos beat last years Browns, but this year's Browns are a much improved team over that one.

    Moreno did not hit the rookie wall the last four games -- he hit it before game 1 and never recovered. I think you are being pretty arrogant to list his performance with Walter Payton and LT' He never kept offensive coordinators awakem game-planning how to stop Moreno. IMHO he will not be much more than he showed last season. He will certainly never move into the company of LT and Walter Payton.

    Moreno averaged 4.3 YPC over the first 12 games of the season. Then he hit the rookie wall, finishing poorly to end with a 3.8 YPC. It's pretty obvious that's what happened. I don't think you understood my point about Payton and Tomlinson. They both had poor YPC their rookie years and ended up being two of the best players at their position ever. I never said that Knowshon was or ever will be as good as either of them. But he will be a damn good player and is certainly better than Jerome Harrison.

    And do you really think you're that much better than last year? Your QB is Jake Delhomme. I live in South Carolina, I watched his career with the Panthers. The guy is horrible. Unless you pull a Steve Smith out of thin air for him to throw ducks up and let him make a play, he won't ever impress anyone.

    @curious said:

    Moreno averaged 4.3 YPC over the first 12 games of the season. Then he hit the rookie wall, finishing poorly to end with a 3.8 YPC. It's pretty obvious that's what happened. I don't think you understood my point about Payton and Tomlinson. They both had poor YPC their rookie years and ended up being two of the best players at their position ever. I never said that Knowshon was or ever will be as good as either of them. But he will be a damn good player and is certainly better than Jerome Harrison.

    And do you really think you're that much better than last year? Your QB is Jake Delhomme. I live in South Carolina, I watched his career with the Panthers. The guy is horrible. Unless you pull a Steve Smith out of thin air for him to throw ducks up and let him make a play, he won't ever impress anyone.

    4.3 YPC in '09? Look at Hillis' 5.0 in '08. Cleveland is going to see what Denver could have had in .09, '10 ,'11, ... . Believe me, you really don't want to get into a stats war of Hillis vs Moreno. It would be a far more productive use of your time to determine how to get rid of your HC --- quick (and you might want to throw in your GM, too). Or you could continue with your head buried in the sand. Your choice.

    Denver fans are really going to be upset when they see Hillis' performances in '10 and realize that's what they could have had.

    BTW, do I really think we are that much better than last year? Yep! and why, you might ask? Because of Delhomme and Hillis.

    You might want to watch Hillis and Delhomme when the Broncos' season goes south about Oct 1. I can't wait to hear your excuses then.

  • Great way to Pound rock In cold,Rainy Weather Cannot wait have a Great day evryone off to work.

  • I LOVE the Browns attitude now.

    And Hillis adds serious BARK to the running game. You draft to include CHARACTER,

    and you can have a lot of guys play with Hillis' intensity.

    Hillis loves the fans too....

    *************************************************

    A Budding Love Affair

    By Don Delco

    OBR Reporter

    Posted Aug 22, 2010

    Don Delco reports from Cleveland Browns Stadium that Hillis' style on and off the field will endear himself to Browns fans.

    CLEVELAND

    It was love at first carry.

    Peyton Hillis started the second quarter with a 9-yard run down to the St. Louis 27-yard line. Hillis earned those nine yards by carrying most of the St. Louis defense. After the play, Hillis jumped up, pumped his fists toward the Browns fans. In turn, he received the loudest cheers from the soggy fans.

    "I love Cleveland," Hillis said. "I didn't know if the fans would come out in the rain and support the team. They gave a great effort out there."

    In his first appearance in front of the Cleveland fans, Hillis finished with a team-high 51 yards on 12 carries and caught two balls for 12 yards in a 19-17 loss to St. Louis. More importantly, Hillis became a front-runner in the "fan favorite" sweepstakes.

    "He is tough with the ball in his hands," Mangini said. "He is more lucid than you think for a guy his size."

    Not only did Hillis' run incite the fans, but also it awoke a sleepwalking Browns team. In the first quarter, the Browns had nine yards of total offense and trailed the Rams 13-0. Seven plays after Hillis' initial touch, Browns quarterback Jake Delhomme found Ben Watson in the back of the end zone on a 6-yard touchdown pass to pull the Browns within 13-7.

    "He did add some fuel to the group," Mangini said. "That is frustrating from my perspective. We should be in position where we need to add fuel. We should start a lot better than we did. It was as bad a start as you can get."

    The Browns acquired Hillis and a 2010 sixth-round draft pick and a conditional 2012 pick for quarterback Brady Quinn in a trade last March. Hillis was originally drafted by Denver in the seventh round (227th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft.

    In two seasons in Denver, Hillis played in 26 games, starting eight, and finished with 397 yards rushing on 81 carries with six touchdowns and caught 18 balls for 198 yards and one touchdown.

    "Hillis runs physically," Mangini said. "I like that."

    So did the fans at Cleveland Browns Stadium on Saturday night. Hillis is listed at 6-foot-2, 240 pounds and has the stereotypical look of a football player: Wide shoulders, thick neck and square head. After Saturday's game, Hillis donned a cowboy hat on top of that square head along with a flannel, long-sleeve shirt and jeans.

    "Cleveland is a great town and the fans are great," Hillis said. "They are blue-collar people who love their team. They came out in the pouring rain and supported their team the whole game. That's what drives me and gets me going and I love that about the city."

    The fans not only witnessed Hillis' running style, but quickly embraced it. Hillis is the definition of a north-south runner. On a 9-yard pass reception in the second quarter, Hillis caught the ball, turned and ran straight up field. He did not look to juke, jive or swivel his hips. Hillis, a Conway, Ark. native and Arkansas alum, runs straight toward the goal line and would-be blockers had best be ready.

    "I owe that all to my father," Hillis said. "He taught me hard, smashmouth football and to learn how to catch the ball. I put the good Lord in there, too. He put me in position. There are a lot of good football players and He put me in position to do well. Hopefully, I can take advantage of it."

    With more performances on the field and more exposure off the field, Hillis is primed to become beloved in Cleveland.

    Look for No. 40 jerseys to be popping up in no time.

  • When I saw Hillis literaly take the entire defense with him on a 10 yard ride... I almost blew a gasket. WOW. What a run. I think that surprised several people on both sides of the ball.

    I haven't been this excited for the start of the browns season since '99.

    And yes, the attitude and level the guys are playing at right now is great. Take that in the the first few games and go up 3-0 and the beginning of the season and finish strong. Maybe, just maybe a 10-6 season looms ahead.. but I will be happy wityh 8-8 this year. Let's start this rebuilding project off strong.

  • I totally agree Kidd.............When I saw the run you mentioned I yelled so loud my neighboors thought the sh!t was on . I am normally a quiet tennant , and the neighboors are new to the complex . lol

    I told them they were in for it every Sunday from 1-4 .

    GO BROWNS

  • @curious said:

    Moreno averaged 4.3 YPC over the first 12 games of the season. Then he hit the rookie wall, finishing poorly to end with a 3.8 YPC. It's pretty obvious that's what happened. I don't think you understood my point about Payton and Tomlinson. They both had poor YPC their rookie years and ended up being two of the best players at their position ever. I never said that Knowshon was or ever will be as good as either of them. But he will be a damn good player and is certainly better than Jerome Harrison.

    And do you really think you're that much better than last year? Your QB is Jake Delhomme. I live in South Carolina, I watched his career with the Panthers. The guy is horrible. Unless you pull a Steve Smith out of thin air for him to throw ducks up and let him make a play, he won't ever impress anyone.

    4.3 YPC in '09? Look at Hillis' 5.0 in '08. Cleveland is going to see what Denver could have had in .09, '10 ,'11, ... . Believe me, you really don't want to get into a stats war of Hillis vs Moreno. It would be a far more productive use of your time to determine how to get rid of your HC --- quick (and you might want to throw in your GM, too). Or you could continue with your head buried in the sand. Your choice.

    Denver fans are really going to be upset when they see Hillis' performances in '10 and realize that's what they could have had.

    BTW, do I really think we are that much better than last year? Yep! and why, you might ask? Because of Delhomme and Hillis.

    You might want to watch Hillis and Delhomme when the Broncos' season goes south about Oct 1. I can't wait to hear your excuses then.

    @the-hawg said:

    4.3 YPC in '09? Look at Hillis' 5.0 in '08. Cleveland is going to see what Denver could have had in .09, '10 ,'11, ... . Believe me, you really don't want to get into a stats war of Hillis vs Moreno. It would be a far more productive use of your time to determine how to get rid of your HC --- quick (and you might want to throw in your GM, too). Or you could continue with your head buried in the sand. Your choice.

    Denver fans are really going to be upset when they see Hillis' performances in '10 and realize that's what they could have had.

    BTW, do I really think we are that much better than last year? Yep! and why, you might ask? Because of Delhomme and Hillis.

    You might want to watch Hillis and Delhomme when the Broncos' season goes south about Oct 1. I can't wait to hear your excuses then.

    The last thing I would ever want to do is get rid of McDaniels. I have agreed with almost all of his decisions since he was hired. And I really just can't stop laughing when I hear Browns fans think that Delhomme will be a good QB in Cleveland. He is just the definition of awful. And I'll pop back onto this thread Oct. 1 and we'll see how our teams compare if that's what you really want. Delhomme will probably have been benched by then, but we'll see.

    But to all the legitimate responses I've gotten, thank you. I'm glad to hear he's doing well, how you feel about him is how we felt about him his rookie year.

  • @curious said:

    But he will be a damn good player and is certainly better than Jerome Harrison.

    HAHAHAHA.

    Top rushing yard games

    Come back when Moreno is anywhere near on this list, btw Quinn for Hillis was an amazing trade for the Browns, so thanks to Mcdaniels for that one.

    Moreno is average, and all we want out of Delhomme is to be consistent and to make smart decisions, and he's been doing that so far. We don't care about big plays or impressing anyone, we just want him to lead to wins.

    @beefjerky said:

    HAHAHAHA.

    Top rushing yard games

    Come back when Moreno is anywhere near on this list, btw Quinn for Hillis was an amazing trade for the Browns, so thanks to Mcdaniels for that one.

    Moreno is average, and all we want out of Delhomme is to be consistent and to make smart decisions, and he's been doing that so far. We don't care about big plays or impressing anyone, we just want him to lead to wins.

    We have yet to see how that trade works out, though I'll agree Quinn won't ever start for us unless for an injury.

    Delhomme threw 8 TD's and 18 INT's last year. Really smart decisions there. He won't get wins either. Carolina was 4-7 with him, then Matt Moore stepped in and led them to a 4-1 record throwing 8 TD's to 1 INT with the same players around him. Matt Moore. But yeah, he'll do great.

  • @beefjerky said:

    HAHAHAHA.

    Top rushing yard games

    Come back when Moreno is anywhere near on this list, btw Quinn for Hillis was an amazing trade for the Browns, so thanks to Mcdaniels for that one.

    Moreno is average, and all we want out of Delhomme is to be consistent and to make smart decisions, and he's been doing that so far. We don't care about big plays or impressing anyone, we just want him to lead to wins.

    We have yet to see how that trade works out, though I'll agree Quinn won't ever start for us unless for an injury.

    Delhomme threw 8 TD's and 18 INT's last year. Really smart decisions there. He won't get wins either. Carolina was 4-7 with him, then Matt Moore stepped in and led them to a 4-1 record throwing 8 TD's to 1 INT with the same players around him. Matt Moore. But yeah, he'll do great.

    @curious said:

    We have yet to see how that trade works out, though I'll agree Quinn won't ever start for us unless for an injury.

    Delhomme threw 8 TD's and 18 INT's last year. Really smart decisions there. He won't get wins either. Carolina was 4-7 with him, then Matt Moore stepped in and led them to a 4-1 record throwing 8 TD's to 1 INT with the same players around him. Matt Moore. But yeah, he'll do great.

    I don't think you ever saw this

    http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Jake_Delhomme/1073130

  • I LOVE the Browns attitude now.

    And Hillis adds serious BARK to the running game. You draft to include CHARACTER,

    and you can have a lot of guys play with Hillis' intensity.

    Hillis loves the fans too....

    *************************************************

    A Budding Love Affair

    By Don Delco

    OBR Reporter

    Posted Aug 22, 2010

    Don Delco reports from Cleveland Browns Stadium that Hillis' style on and off the field will endear himself to Browns fans.

    CLEVELAND

    It was love at first carry.

    Peyton Hillis started the second quarter with a 9-yard run down to the St. Louis 27-yard line. Hillis earned those nine yards by carrying most of the St. Louis defense. After the play, Hillis jumped up, pumped his fists toward the Browns fans. In turn, he received the loudest cheers from the soggy fans.

    "I love Cleveland," Hillis said. "I didn't know if the fans would come out in the rain and support the team. They gave a great effort out there."

    In his first appearance in front of the Cleveland fans, Hillis finished with a team-high 51 yards on 12 carries and caught two balls for 12 yards in a 19-17 loss to St. Louis. More importantly, Hillis became a front-runner in the "fan favorite" sweepstakes.

    "He is tough with the ball in his hands," Mangini said. "He is more lucid than you think for a guy his size."

    Not only did Hillis' run incite the fans, but also it awoke a sleepwalking Browns team. In the first quarter, the Browns had nine yards of total offense and trailed the Rams 13-0. Seven plays after Hillis' initial touch, Browns quarterback Jake Delhomme found Ben Watson in the back of the end zone on a 6-yard touchdown pass to pull the Browns within 13-7.

    "He did add some fuel to the group," Mangini said. "That is frustrating from my perspective. We should be in position where we need to add fuel. We should start a lot better than we did. It was as bad a start as you can get."

    The Browns acquired Hillis and a 2010 sixth-round draft pick and a conditional 2012 pick for quarterback Brady Quinn in a trade last March. Hillis was originally drafted by Denver in the seventh round (227th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft.

    In two seasons in Denver, Hillis played in 26 games, starting eight, and finished with 397 yards rushing on 81 carries with six touchdowns and caught 18 balls for 198 yards and one touchdown.

    "Hillis runs physically," Mangini said. "I like that."

    So did the fans at Cleveland Browns Stadium on Saturday night. Hillis is listed at 6-foot-2, 240 pounds and has the stereotypical look of a football player: Wide shoulders, thick neck and square head. After Saturday's game, Hillis donned a cowboy hat on top of that square head along with a flannel, long-sleeve shirt and jeans.

    "Cleveland is a great town and the fans are great," Hillis said. "They are blue-collar people who love their team. They came out in the pouring rain and supported their team the whole game. That's what drives me and gets me going and I love that about the city."

    The fans not only witnessed Hillis' running style, but quickly embraced it. Hillis is the definition of a north-south runner. On a 9-yard pass reception in the second quarter, Hillis caught the ball, turned and ran straight up field. He did not look to juke, jive or swivel his hips. Hillis, a Conway, Ark. native and Arkansas alum, runs straight toward the goal line and would-be blockers had best be ready.

    "I owe that all to my father," Hillis said. "He taught me hard, smashmouth football and to learn how to catch the ball. I put the good Lord in there, too. He put me in position. There are a lot of good football players and He put me in position to do well. Hopefully, I can take advantage of it."

    With more performances on the field and more exposure off the field, Hillis is primed to become beloved in Cleveland.

    Look for No. 40 jerseys to be popping up in no time.

    @calfoxwc said:

    I LOVE the Browns attitude now.

    THIS

    i don't know if anybody saw last night's TCD, but holmgren's interview and the excerpts from delhomme's press conference after the rams game made it clear that this year is all about winning attitude combined with no excuses for under performing. the team has set expectations for themselves.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I LOVE the Browns attitude now.

    THIS

    i don't know if anybody saw last night's TCD, but holmgren's interview and the excerpts from delhomme's press conference after the rams game made it clear that this year is all about winning attitude combined with no excuses for under performing. the team has set expectations for themselves.

    @mudratdetector said:

    THIS

    i don't know if anybody saw last night's TCD, but holmgren's interview and the excerpts from delhomme's press conference after the rams game made it clear that this year is all about winning attitude combined with no excuses for under performing. the team has set expectations for themselves.

    i saw holmgren's interview and some browns players post game comments. i love the new attitude that's going around in the browns orginization. it's a breath of fresh air.

  • Possibly, it really is "Browns Town" again.

  • @curious said:

    We have yet to see how that trade works out, though I'll agree Quinn won't ever start for us unless for an injury.

    Delhomme threw 8 TD's and 18 INT's last year. Really smart decisions there. He won't get wins either. Carolina was 4-7 with him, then Matt Moore stepped in and led them to a 4-1 record throwing 8 TD's to 1 INT with the same players around him. Matt Moore. But yeah, he'll do great.

    I don't think you ever saw this

    http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Jake_Delhomme/1073130

    suns said:

    I don't think you ever saw this

    http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Jake_Delhomme/1073130

    Lol. Oh, that explains everything! Well after seeing that, I guess Delhomme will be MVP this year. That article was like 2 sentences long, and didn't even explain its point. What was he doing with Delhomme that was so different?

  • It is such a blast of fresh air to see somebody like Hollis come to camp with an agenda based on nothing but learning the play book and giving his 110% 24 7 during camp. then to bust out in a game like

    he did saturday night is about as frosty as it gets. I can't recall the last time i was as excited about a Browns FA. Make this kid a Captain......Mangini

  • Possibly, it really is "Browns Town" again.

    @ballpeen said:

    Possibly, it really is "Browns Town" again.

    If nuthin else, the foundation is being layed for a "Browns Town" revival coming soon to your town....North central Oh is ready to errupt in anticipation of the approaching glory....There is a feel in the cooling

    summer air....

  • @the-hawg said:

    4.3 YPC in '09? Look at Hillis' 5.0 in '08. Cleveland is going to see what Denver could have had in .09, '10 ,'11, ... . Believe me, you really don't want to get into a stats war of Hillis vs Moreno. It would be a far more productive use of your time to determine how to get rid of your HC --- quick (and you might want to throw in your GM, too). Or you could continue with your head buried in the sand. Your choice.

    Denver fans are really going to be upset when they see Hillis' performances in '10 and realize that's what they could have had.

    BTW, do I really think we are that much better than last year? Yep! and why, you might ask? Because of Delhomme and Hillis.

    You might want to watch Hillis and Delhomme when the Broncos' season goes south about Oct 1. I can't wait to hear your excuses then.

    The last thing I would ever want to do is get rid of McDaniels. I have agreed with almost all of his decisions since he was hired. And I really just can't stop laughing when I hear Browns fans think that Delhomme will be a good QB in Cleveland. He is just the definition of awful. And I'll pop back onto this thread Oct. 1 and we'll see how our teams compare if that's what you really want. Delhomme will probably have been benched by then, but we'll see.

    But to all the legitimate responses I've gotten, thank you. I'm glad to hear he's doing well, how you feel about him is how we felt about him his rookie year.

    @curious said:

    The last thing I would ever want to do is get rid of McDaniels. I have agreed with almost all of his decisions since he was hired. And I really just can't stop laughing when I hear Browns fans think that Delhomme will be a good QB in Cleveland. He is just the definition of awful. And I'll pop back onto this thread Oct. 1 and we'll see how our teams compare if that's what you really want. Delhomme will probably have been benched by then, but we'll see.

    But to all the legitimate responses I've gotten, thank you. I'm glad to hear he's doing well, how you feel about him is how we felt about him his rookie year.

    How long do you seriously give McD before he is shown the door? He is 2-8 in his last 10 games. Will he be okay if he goes 8-8 and misses the playoffs again?

    Delhomme's history before last year has been good. We are banking that last year was a fluke. Thus far, the gamble is paying off well.

    We'll see how things go on October 1. I wonder what kind of noise will erupt out there when Hillis contributes one of his smash-mouth carries. If the Denver defense does not totally stop Hillis, the Denver fans who thought Hillis should have gotten playing time in '09 will come from all directions and ask continuously why he let Hillis go.

  • @curious said:

    The last thing I would ever want to do is get rid of McDaniels. I have agreed with almost all of his decisions since he was hired. And I really just can't stop laughing when I hear Browns fans think that Delhomme will be a good QB in Cleveland. He is just the definition of awful. And I'll pop back onto this thread Oct. 1 and we'll see how our teams compare if that's what you really want. Delhomme will probably have been benched by then, but we'll see.

    But to all the legitimate responses I've gotten, thank you. I'm glad to hear he's doing well, how you feel about him is how we felt about him his rookie year.

    How long do you seriously give McD before he is shown the door? He is 2-8 in his last 10 games. Will he be okay if he goes 8-8 and misses the playoffs again?

    Delhomme's history before last year has been good. We are banking that last year was a fluke. Thus far, the gamble is paying off well.

    We'll see how things go on October 1. I wonder what kind of noise will erupt out there when Hillis contributes one of his smash-mouth carries. If the Denver defense does not totally stop Hillis, the Denver fans who thought Hillis should have gotten playing time in '09 will come from all directions and ask continuously why he let Hillis go.

    @the-hawg said:

    How long do you seriously give McD before he is shown the door? He is 2-8 in his last 10 games. Will he be okay if he goes 8-8 and misses the playoffs again?

    Delhomme's history before last year has been good. We are banking that last year was a fluke. Thus far, the gamble is paying off well.

    We'll see how things go on October 1. I wonder what kind of noise will erupt out there when Hillis contributes one of his smash-mouth carries. If the Denver defense does not totally stop Hillis, the Denver fans who thought Hillis should have gotten playing time in '09 will come from all directions and ask continuously why he let Hillis go.

    Lol he is 2-8 in his last 10 games. Yeah, cherry pick all the stats you need. He is 8-8 as a head coach. He will definitely be okay if we go 8-8 and miss the playoffs this year. That's what I'm expecting, with our horrendous rash of injuries on both sides of the ball. He will be here for years, I think. I have loved all his moves and if we have football in 2011, Denver will be in the playoffs.

    Delhomme was never above average, don't be fooled by any statistics you see. Carolina has had one of the best running games in the NFL, drawing 8 and 9 into the box and Delhomme just throws up those ducks to Smitty and he makes a play. Delhomme is the only person I've seen throw a football that has no rotation on it at all. It just floats, and frankly, it's amazing. I didn't realize that was possible.

  • Ok....maybe it is late or maybe a bit much Jack, but who the hell is "McD"???

  • Ok....maybe it is late or maybe a bit much Jack, but who the hell is "McD"???

    @ballpeen said:

    Ok....maybe it is late or maybe a bit much Jack, but who the hell is "McD"???

    Josh McDaniels, Denver's coach.

  • Anyone watching the game today? This dude is a beast!

  • I am watching but rarely post during the game . I agree with you about Hillis . He rocks