Skip to content

In The Second Half Of His Life, Bernie Kosar Begins A Comeback

The Browns Board
16 8 1.9k
  • Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by Mr. T
    #3

    I love BK when he is calling the game.

    How many times have we heard him say;

    "They should just throw that play out, it never works".

    or

    "Your going to have to do better than that if you want to make it in this league".

  • I just read this on the sto website. It's a great article. I cant wait to hear him do the preseason plays again.

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by SJ_Browns
    #4

    @speedyd900rr said:

    I just read this on the sto website. It's a great article. I cant wait to hear him do the preseason plays again.

    isn't it great to hear bernie break the game down and call stuff out before it happens? the guy flat out knows the game of football and he's really intelligent to.

  • I love BK when he is calling the game.

    How many times have we heard him say;

    "They should just throw that play out, it never works".

    or

    "Your going to have to do better than that if you want to make it in this league".

    S Speedyd900rr wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @mr.-t said:

    I love BK when he is calling the game.

    How many times have we heard him say;

    "They should just throw that play out, it never works".

    or

    "Your going to have to do better than that if you want to make it in this league".

    I wish they would let him work with our offense for a season just to see how it plays out.

  • I love BK when he is calling the game.

    How many times have we heard him say;

    "They should just throw that play out, it never works".

    or

    "Your going to have to do better than that if you want to make it in this league".

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @mr.-t said:

    I love BK when he is calling the game.

    How many times have we heard him say;

    "They should just throw that play out, it never works".

    or

    "Your going to have to do better than that if you want to make it in this league".

    i love how bernie tells it like it is. he doesn't hold anything back.

  • @mr.-t said:

    I love BK when he is calling the game.

    How many times have we heard him say;

    "They should just throw that play out, it never works".

    or

    "Your going to have to do better than that if you want to make it in this league".

    I wish they would let him work with our offense for a season just to see how it plays out.

    Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @speedyd900rr said:

    I wish they would let him work with our offense for a season just to see how it plays out.

    They would have to video tape it, to remember the plays. Does anyone remember when BK was drawing up plays in the huddle in the mud? Poor ole' Belichek never understood offensive play calling back then.

  • @mr.-t said:

    I love BK when he is calling the game.

    How many times have we heard him say;

    "They should just throw that play out, it never works".

    or

    "Your going to have to do better than that if you want to make it in this league".

    i love how bernie tells it like it is. he doesn't hold anything back.

    Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @sj_browns said:

    i love how bernie tells it like it is. he doesn't hold anything back.

    Im starting to get pumped for tonights game, I hope it is on satelitte.

  • GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Way to go bernie!

    The guy is still a fighter and a great person gotta love him! 😉

  • S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by SJ_Browns
    #10
    Pain management

    Longaberger said one of the things she admires most about Kosar is "how he deals with pain, both emotional and physical. He says dealing with the pain, especially the emotional pain, has made him a better person. He doesn't stay angry."

    The physical toll on his body is real.

    In a low chair, he can't just stand up -- his surgically repaired ankle and aching knees aren't strong enough. He needs to pull himself up a bit with his hands on the arms of a chair. Nor can he hold his right arm straight out to the side of his body.

    "I've had surgery on my ankle to get a screw taken out," Kosar said. "I had surgery on my right elbow to have spurs removed, and on my left elbow to have a ligament fixed. My back hurts sometimes. The ankle still isn't great. But I'm doing OK, I really am."

    Kosar also has dealt with the aftermath of concussions suffered while playing. There are some headaches, some brief memory loss, some occasional involuntary twitching.

    "I don't know how many concussions I had . . . a lot," he said. "We just played through them. It was like a badge of courage. No one was counting when I played. I kept smelling salts in my pouch [around his waist] when I was out there, because I'd get hit and feel dizzy."

    He paused.

    "We played at Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Houston every year," Kosar said. "That awful [artificial] turf, the worst fields. It was like cement. The initial hit wasn't the worst, it was when your head banged down on that turf. I have friends that I played with who are worse. They have short-term memory loss, I don't.

    "But in the morning, I sometimes feel slow. At night, I get tired. I struggle sometimes to say exactly what I want when I'm tired like that. But I have been treated, I am doing better."

    Kosar said all that without a trace of pity. It was as if he were reading off his work schedule for the day -- no emotion, just a fact of life.

    i'll never understand why some browns fans continue to say ignorant things about bernie. making claims that he's a drunk and that's why his speech is slurred. the guy took a physical beating for us because he wanted to win a superbowl for the team he rooted for ever since he was a child. EDIT: that's why his speech is slurred. all the concussions the guy got and he went right back into the game, trying to win for us. the medication he takes for his numerous injuries plays a part in it as well.

  • @sj_browns said:

    i love how bernie tells it like it is. he doesn't hold anything back.

    Im starting to get pumped for tonights game, I hope it is on satelitte.

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @mr.-t said:

    Im starting to get pumped for tonights game, I hope it is on satelitte.

    yeah, i'm pumped up to. the off-season kind of went by faster than it ususally does for me.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #12

    I have admired Bernie since he wanted to come to Cleveland, and the Browns got him in the expansion draft... so brilliant... GGG

    The man was a very special, elite player, to have accomplished so much, with limited mobility and all, but with a heart the size of Alaska.

    All those players, those years... I'm delighted that Daboll and Mangini sat down with Bernie at watched films... I'll bet they were impressed

    with Bernie's football intelligence.

    Say, maybe that is what convinced them they needed to completely start over again with new qb's.... @@

  • timpikerT timpiker wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I just have a man-crush on him.... I have loved Bernie ever since he said he WANTED to be drafted by the Browns and graduated and came out ealy so he could.

    I just cannot understand why anyone criticizes his play by play (his voice sounds like he's drunk.....BFD) because when he talks about a game I just become engrossed in every word he says.

    I cannot understand why no one on the Browns ever commits to having him do any real job for any length of time. Maybe its all BS but every article I have ever read about the man and every interview and every time I hear him talk - WOW, I have the utmost respect for Bernie Kosar.

    I mean if Bernie can go bankrupt, it has taught me that even that is no reason to be ashamed of anything.

  • Pain management

    Longaberger said one of the things she admires most about Kosar is "how he deals with pain, both emotional and physical. He says dealing with the pain, especially the emotional pain, has made him a better person. He doesn't stay angry."

    The physical toll on his body is real.

    In a low chair, he can't just stand up -- his surgically repaired ankle and aching knees aren't strong enough. He needs to pull himself up a bit with his hands on the arms of a chair. Nor can he hold his right arm straight out to the side of his body.

    "I've had surgery on my ankle to get a screw taken out," Kosar said. "I had surgery on my right elbow to have spurs removed, and on my left elbow to have a ligament fixed. My back hurts sometimes. The ankle still isn't great. But I'm doing OK, I really am."

    Kosar also has dealt with the aftermath of concussions suffered while playing. There are some headaches, some brief memory loss, some occasional involuntary twitching.

    "I don't know how many concussions I had . . . a lot," he said. "We just played through them. It was like a badge of courage. No one was counting when I played. I kept smelling salts in my pouch [around his waist] when I was out there, because I'd get hit and feel dizzy."

    He paused.

    "We played at Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Houston every year," Kosar said. "That awful [artificial] turf, the worst fields. It was like cement. The initial hit wasn't the worst, it was when your head banged down on that turf. I have friends that I played with who are worse. They have short-term memory loss, I don't.

    "But in the morning, I sometimes feel slow. At night, I get tired. I struggle sometimes to say exactly what I want when I'm tired like that. But I have been treated, I am doing better."

    Kosar said all that without a trace of pity. It was as if he were reading off his work schedule for the day -- no emotion, just a fact of life.

    i'll never understand why some browns fans continue to say ignorant things about bernie. making claims that he's a drunk and that's why his speech is slurred. the guy took a physical beating for us because he wanted to win a superbowl for the team he rooted for ever since he was a child. EDIT: that's why his speech is slurred. all the concussions the guy got and he went right back into the game, trying to win for us. the medication he takes for his numerous injuries plays a part in it as well.

    K kshutchins wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @sj_browns said:

    i'll never understand why some browns fans continue to say ignorant things about bernie. making claims that he's a drunk and that's why his speech is slurred. the guy took a physical beating for us because he wanted to win a superbowl for the team he rooted for ever since he was a child.

    I agree. I love to listen to him calling a game. He does a fantastic job of analysis that more than makes up for his style of speaking.

  • NewEraDawgN NewEraDawg wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Kosar has forgotten more football than those critics that run him down will ever hope to gain . I also like his calls on games and his interviews .

  • Kosar has forgotten more football than those critics that run him down will ever hope to gain . I also like his calls on games and his interviews .

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @neweradawg said:

    Kosar has forgotten more football than those critics that run him down will ever hope to gain . I also like his calls on games and his interviews .

    is it 8 pm yet?! i'm ready for some football! 😎