Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Best Buckeye Pros

Best Buckeye Pros

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
16 Posts 9 Posters 1.7k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
    • 57k Posts
    • 4k Reputation
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Many if not most Browns fans are also Ohio State Buckeye fans. So, for what its worth I am going to give you the best "Buckeye Pros" at each position, i.e. the Buckeye that performed best in his pro career. College career won't count, thus, the likes of 2 time Heisman winner Archie Griffin won't make this cut. Here is my list:

    OFFENSE:

    QB: Mike Tomscak. Played 14 years, was average at best. Not a deep position for Buckeyes, really when the second best might be Kent Graham? (not good)

    RB: Eddie George. Only Buckeye to gain 10,000+ yards in pro career. (second string: Robert Smith)

    FB: Pete Johnson. An incredible position of strength for the Bucks (John Brockington, Matt Snell, Jim Otis all Pro Bowlers)

    TE: Keith Byars. Doing a double take? Byars played the TE position for about 5 years. Also not a strong position for OSU when the next best might be Ricky Dudley and John Franks

    WRs: Paul Warfield and Cris Carter. Second string: Terry Glenn and Joey Galloway. (for Lavelli, see below)

    😄 Tom DeLeone. To date. By the end of his career, Nick Mangold will have long passed TD up.

    OTs: Orlando Pace and Jim Tyrer. Another incredible position of strength. Tyrer made 9 Pro Bowls for the Bears (usually you do that you end up in the HOF. Pace probably will be there). Five time Pro Bowlers Jim Lachey and Bob Vogel make 2d string. (for Groza, see below)

    OGs: Jim Parker and Dick Shafrath. Though Shafrath played mostly OT, I am putting him here as he did also play some OG and his 7 Pro Bowls couldn't be ignored

    DEFENSE:

    DEs: Jim Marshall and Will Smith

    DTs: Bill Willis and Ryan Pickett

    OLBs: Jim Houston and Mike Vrabel

    MLBs: Randy Gradishar and Chris Spielman

    Safeties: Jack Tatum and Shawn Springs

    CBs: Dick Lebeau and Antoine Winfield

    (for second string DBs choose from Todd Bell, Shaun Gayle, Tim Fox, Nate Clements,)

    K: Lou Groza. The plethora of top notch tackles get Lou "The Toe" here to make room for the others at tackle

    P: Tom Tupa. over Tom Skladany

    KR: Dante Lavelli. "Glue Fingers" did some returning in his career, so this HOFer has to have a spot here so the other two HOF WRs can also take their place.

    Let me know if I missed anyone that should have been on here. As mentioned, no real quality QB came out of OSU. I guess I wish I could say the same for Michigan, but they do have Mr. Brady as an alum.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
      • 57k Posts
      • 4k Reputation
      The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Also, FYI: Warfield, Parker, Willis, LeBeau, Groza, and Lavelli are in the HOF. Cris Carter and Pace almost certainly will be. Gradishar and George could be.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • listercat listercatL
        • 588 Posts
        • 6 Reputation
        listercatL listercat wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I agree with most of your list but I would also include Jim Lachey at G or Kirk Laudermilk at center?

        The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 9k Posts
          • 2k Reputation
          ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Maybe Neil Colzie(sp) as a special teamer.

          If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
          The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • listercat listercatL
            • 588 Posts
            • 6 Reputation
            listercatL listercat wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Ken Fritz was a pretty damn good O-Lineman as well

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • FearTheRoo F
              • 496 Posts
              • 14 Reputation
              F FearTheRoo wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Shouldn't this go in the college football forum?

              The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
              ❤
              Quote Reply
              • WRREBEL WRREBELW
                • 2k Posts
                • 87 Reputation
                WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
                #7

                What about maurice clarett?

                Ok so, cc won his 16 game today

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • BearcatBrownsFan13 B
                  • 30 Posts
                  • 0 Reputation
                  B BearcatBrownsFan13 wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  Yeah I agree with fear the roo. I come on The Browns Board to read about The Browns not the Buckeyes. I wouldnt post stuff about the Bearcats except for in the college football forum.

                  The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • CLEVELandMILIDH C
                    • 2k Posts
                    • 52 Reputation
                    C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    You guys find anything to complain about, you both have Akron and Cincy Avatar's and Sigs. In essence every time you post your posting about college football, quit crying and dont read it or post in it if your not interested.

                    1st Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU 3rd Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State4th Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma5th Earl Wolff, S, N.C. State6th Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • listercatL listercat

                      I agree with most of your list but I would also include Jim Lachey at G or Kirk Laudermilk at center?

                      The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                      • 57k Posts
                      • 4k Reputation
                      The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @listercat said:

                      I agree with most of your list but I would also include Jim Lachey at G or Kirk Laudermilk at center?

                      I put Lachey at second string if you notice. Lowdermilk had a good career (1 Pro Bowl appearance) but not as good as DeLeone or as good as Mangold is having.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • F FearTheRoo

                        Shouldn't this go in the college football forum?

                        The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                        • 57k Posts
                        • 4k Reputation
                        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @feartheroo said:

                        Shouldn't this go in the college football forum?

                        Its about how they did in the Pros, not college, for what that's worth.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • ballpeenB ballpeen

                          Maybe Neil Colzie(sp) as a special teamer.

                          The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                          • 57k Posts
                          • 4k Reputation
                          The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @ballpeen said:

                          Maybe Neil Colzie(sp) as a special teamer.

                          Instead of Lavelli, as a pure kick/punt returner I would probably prefer Ted Ginn Jr. Colzie never returned a kick or a punt for a TD in his career where Ginn has had 3-4 TDs in his short career with more probably to come.

                          Also: Hopalong Casady also was an outstanding kick and punt returner in his years as a pro.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • B BearcatBrownsFan13

                            Yeah I agree with fear the roo. I come on The Browns Board to read about The Browns not the Buckeyes. I wouldnt post stuff about the Bearcats except for in the college football forum.

                            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                            • 57k Posts
                            • 4k Reputation
                            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @bearcatbrownsfan13 said:

                            Yeah I agree with fear the roo. I come on The Browns Board to read about The Browns not the Buckeyes. I wouldnt post stuff about the Bearcats except for in the college football forum.

                            Well, maybe you can do the same thing here for the Bearcats that I did for the Buckeyes. I wouldn't complain, in fact I would like to see your list. If the admins thought this was out of place they would move it.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                              • 57k Posts
                              • 4k Reputation
                              The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              Enjoy this.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              ❤
                              Quote Reply
                              • clebron C
                                • 26 Posts
                                • 0 Reputation
                                C clebron wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                I think Korey Stringer deserves a mention, he made the pro bowl the year before he died and would have had a long career ahead of him

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • slowburn slowburnS
                                  • 2k Posts
                                  • 116 Reputation
                                  slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by slowburn
                                  #16

                                  Archies little bro Raymond posted decent numbers as a returner and cornerback during his 6 yr career with the bungles.

                                  All the Griffin brothers (6?) played at columbus eastmoor hs which is the main rival of the schooll i attended. I saw mosst of them play. Ray was about the best if you poll some of the oldtimers (thats me i guess)). They were all talented as hell.

                                  As a pro, he had 11 career interceptions.....3 of which were returned for TD's 😁

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply

                                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                  With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                  Register Login
                                  Reply
                                  • Reply as topic
                                  Log in to reply
                                  • Oldest to Newest
                                  • Newest to Oldest
                                  • Most Votes


                                  Theme
                                  • System
                                  • Light
                                  • Dark
                                  The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                  The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                  • First post
                                    Last post
                                  0
                                  • Forums
                                  • Recent
                                  • Popular
                                  • Users
                                  • Donate