Skip to content

rivarly gone!

The Browns Board
39 15 2.9k
  • I don't know we have a lot of. Jrs and srs this year... plus there won't be any imaginary pass interference calls

    @wrrebel said:

    I don't know we have a lot of. Jrs and srs this year... plus there won't be any imaginary pass interference calls

    I'm so sick of that shit. I caught the replay of that title game again just a couple of weeks ago and Miami was aided by calls from the ref's a shitload of times too. At crucial moments too. If the ref's hadn't f'd up those calls, it would have never even gone to OT. Watch it again someday and you'll take ther term 'luckeye' out of your dictionary. Dipshit.

  • Things change, and the Big 10 needed to change. The OSU/Mich game was getting state.

    For years it was on national television....for the last 2-3 it was a regional game as it wasn't one here in the south.

    If the Michigan program stays on the outs(which I don't think will happen) all the more reason to make the switch. If it comes back, it sets up the possibility of a rematch to drive even more interest.

    OSU and Michigan have dominated the Big 10. It would be interesting to see how many of the titles over the last 100 years have been won by one or the other...I may even do some homework in a moment, but it has to be a fairly large percentage, so it only makes sense you split the team to give each division a cornerstone member.

    Maybe this guy needs to write about how it is sad we don't use horse and buggy any more.

  • A quick search gave me these numbers, though I can't say they are totally accurate and I am sure on occasion some of these titles were shared titles. I am just taking the numbers at face value.

    Michigan....42 titles

    OSU...32 titles.

    OSU joined the Big 10 in 1912 so some of Michigans titles came before OSU was a member...even throw out 10 which is no doubt a high number and they have 32 each...that is 64 in 98 years.....65%

  • Ask many Michigan natives what The Game is to them and many respond Michigan vs Michigan St

  • @wrrebel said:

    I don't know we have a lot of. Jrs and srs this year... plus there won't be any imaginary pass interference calls

    I'm so sick of that shit. I caught the replay of that title game again just a couple of weeks ago and Miami was aided by calls from the ref's a shitload of times too. At crucial moments too. If the ref's hadn't f'd up those calls, it would have never even gone to OT. Watch it again someday and you'll take ther term 'luckeye' out of your dictionary. Dipshit.

    @squintz said:

    I'm so sick of that shit. I caught the replay of that title game again just a couple of weeks ago and Miami was aided by calls from the ref's a shitload of times too. At crucial moments too. If the ref's hadn't f'd up those calls, it would have never even gone to OT. Watch it again someday and you'll take ther term 'luckeye' out of your dictionary. Dipshit.

    I'm still amazed at the Hartsock Hop.....

  • I find this game the most over rated/boring game of the year.. No one outside ohio or michigan gives a sh*t about this game... I LOVE college football and can honestly say I have never watched more than a quarter of one of these games. The reason the big ten is doing this is because the big ten has NOTHING else going for it! So why not try and make the "biggest" game happen twice a year... Oh.. and GO IRISH!

  • Despite possibly being in different divisions, there is still talk of protected rivalry games.

    Wisconsin and Iowa will likely be in different divisions despite playing 85 times. But they may still get to play each other every year by being a protected rivalry game. The same could also be true for Michigan and The Ohio State University.

    Can you imagine how cool it would be if Michigan and the Buckeyes got to play twice in the same year? Granted it probably won't happen as long as Rodriguez is coach, but...

  • Canes (and Florida) blow goats

    😒 WSS

  • There is no way that the BIG TEN will allow the OHIO ST. v. michigan to loose its significance.

    "For years it was on national television....for the last 2-3 it was a regional game as it wasn't one here in the south." Not true. I live in the South and see it every year.

    "Ask many Michigan natives what The Games is to them and many respond Michigan vs Michigan St" I believe many michigan st. fans might say that but not wolverine fans. MI v. MI state is a cute little game but it doesn't compare.

    The SEC preserved the Iron Bowl after their expansion. the BIG TEN will do the same with the BIG GAME.

  • Yeah theres no way they could honestly say these two teams would stop playing one another,its almost like if duke and unc said the ACC was breaking up and they wouldnt play each other,This in my opion is the greatest rivarly in all of sports better than Yankees Red Sox i mean there isnt really anything thats quite like it,if they break the Big 10 into 2 fields they still have to have Ohio St. and Michigan play each other each year. You see it in the SEC

  • @wrrebel said:

    I don't know we have a lot of. Jrs and srs this year... plus there won't be any imaginary pass interference calls

    I'm so sick of that shit. I caught the replay of that title game again just a couple of weeks ago and Miami was aided by calls from the ref's a shitload of times too. At crucial moments too. If the ref's hadn't f'd up those calls, it would have never even gone to OT. Watch it again someday and you'll take ther term 'luckeye' out of your dictionary. Dipshit.

    @squintz said:

    I'm so sick of that shit. I caught the replay of that title game again just a couple of weeks ago and Miami was aided by calls from the ref's a shitload of times too. At crucial moments too. If the ref's hadn't f'd up those calls, it would have never even gone to OT. Watch it again someday and you'll take ther term 'luckeye' out of your dictionary. Dipshit.

    Absolutely. In fact, I counted at least 3 calls in the 4th quarter alone that went Miami's way that were highly, highly questionable: there was a catch made by a Buckeye player in bound that was called out of bounds. There was flagrant holding of an OSU receiver that was never called that would have given the Bucks a first down. There was another missed call on a special teams play. If any of those calls had been made properly the Buckeyes would have simply been in a position to take a couple of knees at the end of the game and it would have been over then.

  • Things change, and the Big 10 needed to change. The OSU/Mich game was getting state.

    For years it was on national television....for the last 2-3 it was a regional game as it wasn't one here in the south.

    If the Michigan program stays on the outs(which I don't think will happen) all the more reason to make the switch. If it comes back, it sets up the possibility of a rematch to drive even more interest.

    OSU and Michigan have dominated the Big 10. It would be interesting to see how many of the titles over the last 100 years have been won by one or the other...I may even do some homework in a moment, but it has to be a fairly large percentage, so it only makes sense you split the team to give each division a cornerstone member.

    Maybe this guy needs to write about how it is sad we don't use horse and buggy any more.

    @ballpeen said:

    Things change, and the Big 10 needed to change. The OSU/Mich game was getting state.

    For years it was on national television....for the last 2-3 it was a regional game as it wasn't one here in the south.

    That may have only been because of the decline in the Michigan Program in just the last couple of years. When the teams were like #1 and #2 and played that 42-39 game I bet it was on National TV.

    It is still the best...and most relevent rivalry in college football.

  • There is no way that the BIG TEN will allow the OHIO ST. v. michigan to loose its significance.

    "For years it was on national television....for the last 2-3 it was a regional game as it wasn't one here in the south." Not true. I live in the South and see it every year.

    "Ask many Michigan natives what The Games is to them and many respond Michigan vs Michigan St" I believe many michigan st. fans might say that but not wolverine fans. MI v. MI state is a cute little game but it doesn't compare.

    The SEC preserved the Iron Bowl after their expansion. the BIG TEN will do the same with the BIG GAME.

    @1-more-season said:

    There is no way that the BIG TEN will allow the OHIO ST. v. michigan to loose its significance.

    "For years it was on national television....for the last 2-3 it was a regional game as it wasn't one here in the south." Not true. I live in the South and see it every year.

    "Ask many Michigan natives what The Games is to them and many respond Michigan vs Michigan St" I believe many michigan st. fans might say that but not wolverine fans. MI v. MI state is a cute little game but it doesn't compare.

    The SEC preserved the Iron Bowl after their expansion. the BIG TEN will do the same with the BIG GAME.

    Great, you saw it...the last couple I haven't because it wasn't picked up as the network game. I would have had to view it PPV or head to some bar.

  • A quick search gave me these numbers, though I can't say they are totally accurate and I am sure on occasion some of these titles were shared titles. I am just taking the numbers at face value.

    Michigan....42 titles

    OSU...32 titles.

    OSU joined the Big 10 in 1912 so some of Michigans titles came before OSU was a member...even throw out 10 which is no doubt a high number and they have 32 each...that is 64 in 98 years.....65%

    @ballpeen said:

    A quick search gave me these numbers, though I can't say they are totally accurate and I am sure on occasion some of these titles were shared titles. I am just taking the numbers at face value.

    Michigan....42 titles

    OSU...32 titles.

    OSU joined the Big 10 in 1912 so some of Michigans titles came before OSU was a member...even throw out 10 which is no doubt a high number and they have 32 each...that is 64 in 98 years.....65%

    FYI, of that lead that Michigan holds, note that Michigan won the first 13 in a row between 1897 and 1918 which was before OSU became any sort of a national power. Michigan along with Notre Dame and Army and some of the Ivies were the only big time college teams then. After OSU began developing its program post WWI the rivalry has been pretty even if not in OSU's favor. In fact doing the math, if Michigan won the first 13, then post WWI the count would be OSU 32 wins, Mich. 29.

    But...yes, of course we can't go back and revise history. I simply wanted to point out that prior to WWI the programs were not really operating at parity. (maybe if OSU wins 7 more in a row we can say they aren't operating at parity again, only in the other direction!)

  • I find this game the most over rated/boring game of the year.. No one outside ohio or michigan gives a sh*t about this game... I LOVE college football and can honestly say I have never watched more than a quarter of one of these games. The reason the big ten is doing this is because the big ten has NOTHING else going for it! So why not try and make the "biggest" game happen twice a year... Oh.. and GO IRISH!

    @585dawg said:

    I find this game the most over rated/boring game of the year.. No one outside ohio or michigan gives a sh*t about this game... I LOVE college football and can honestly say I have never watched more than a quarter of one of these games. The reason the big ten is doing this is because the big ten has NOTHING else going for it! So why not try and make the "biggest" game happen twice a year... Oh.. and GO IRISH!

    Yea, right. The fact is, if you don't like the OSU-Mich. rivalry, you don't like college football. Plain and simple.

    And if you say OSU/Mich is irrelevent, then what can be said about Notre Dame?

    Unfortuneatly I think this is what you can say about ND: (and note my screen name, so don't think I am happy about this):

    Notre Dame is about to be placed on a par with other similar institutions like Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford:

    quality educations, below average football programs (in terms of winning).

    In fact, in my opinion, given the fluctuation in college conferences these days, these schools should form their own new separate conference:

    Duke

    Notre Dame

    Vandy

    Northwestern

    Army

    Navy

    Rice

    Stanford

    Boston College

    and maybe a couple more.

  • @1-more-season said:

    There is no way that the BIG TEN will allow the OHIO ST. v. michigan to loose its significance.

    "For years it was on national television....for the last 2-3 it was a regional game as it wasn't one here in the south." Not true. I live in the South and see it every year.

    "Ask many Michigan natives what The Games is to them and many respond Michigan vs Michigan St" I believe many michigan st. fans might say that but not wolverine fans. MI v. MI state is a cute little game but it doesn't compare.

    The SEC preserved the Iron Bowl after their expansion. the BIG TEN will do the same with the BIG GAME.

    Great, you saw it...the last couple I haven't because it wasn't picked up as the network game. I would have had to view it PPV or head to some bar.

    @ballpeen said:

    Great, you saw it...the last couple I haven't because it wasn't picked up as the network game. I would have had to view it PPV or head to some bar.

    What awesome game was on instead? I was under the understanding that the game has been a nationally televised game on ABC for years.

    I am not doubting you, I am only curious as to what they would show in Chattanooga at the same time that would be viewed as a better matchup. They might put an SEC game on, but I think that would be on a competing network. ( I believe CBS carries SEC games, ABC Big Ten)

  • @585dawg said:

    I find this game the most over rated/boring game of the year.. No one outside ohio or michigan gives a sh*t about this game... I LOVE college football and can honestly say I have never watched more than a quarter of one of these games. The reason the big ten is doing this is because the big ten has NOTHING else going for it! So why not try and make the "biggest" game happen twice a year... Oh.. and GO IRISH!

    Yea, right. The fact is, if you don't like the OSU-Mich. rivalry, you don't like college football. Plain and simple.

    And if you say OSU/Mich is irrelevent, then what can be said about Notre Dame?

    Unfortuneatly I think this is what you can say about ND: (and note my screen name, so don't think I am happy about this):

    Notre Dame is about to be placed on a par with other similar institutions like Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford:

    quality educations, below average football programs (in terms of winning).

    In fact, in my opinion, given the fluctuation in college conferences these days, these schools should form their own new separate conference:

    Duke

    Notre Dame

    Vandy

    Northwestern

    Army

    Navy

    Rice

    Stanford

    Boston College

    and maybe a couple more.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yea, right. The fact is, if you don't like the OSU-Mich. rivalry, you don't like college football. Plain and simple.

    And if you say OSU/Mich is irrelevent, then what can be said about Notre Dame?

    Unfortuneatly I think this is what you can say about ND: (and note my screen name, so don't think I am happy about this):

    Notre Dame is about to be placed on a par with other similar institutions like Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford:

    quality educations, below average football programs (in terms of winning).

    In fact, in my opinion, given the fluctuation in college conferences these days, these schools should form their own new separate conference:

    Duke

    Notre Dame

    Vandy

    Northwestern

    Army

    Navy

    Rice

    Stanford

    Boston College

    and maybe a couple more

    .

    Would this new conference be called the Big Brain? With the occasional blip from ND, BC and Stanford this conference would be just as good if not better than Conference USA or the WAC. ECU should be n the ACC

  • @ballpeen said:

    A quick search gave me these numbers, though I can't say they are totally accurate and I am sure on occasion some of these titles were shared titles. I am just taking the numbers at face value.

    Michigan....42 titles

    OSU...32 titles.

    OSU joined the Big 10 in 1912 so some of Michigans titles came before OSU was a member...even throw out 10 which is no doubt a high number and they have 32 each...that is 64 in 98 years.....65%

    FYI, of that lead that Michigan holds, note that Michigan won the first 13 in a row between 1897 and 1918 which was before OSU became any sort of a national power. Michigan along with Notre Dame and Army and some of the Ivies were the only big time college teams then. After OSU began developing its program post WWI the rivalry has been pretty even if not in OSU's favor. In fact doing the math, if Michigan won the first 13, then post WWI the count would be OSU 32 wins, Mich. 29.

    But...yes, of course we can't go back and revise history. I simply wanted to point out that prior to WWI the programs were not really operating at parity. (maybe if OSU wins 7 more in a row we can say they aren't operating at parity again, only in the other direction!)

    @the-gipper said:

    FYI, of that lead that Michigan holds, note that Michigan won the first 13 in a row between 1897 and 1918 which was before OSU became any sort of a national power. Michigan along with Notre Dame and Army and some of the Ivies were the only big time college teams then. After OSU began developing its program post WWI the rivalry has been pretty even if not in OSU's favor. In fact doing the math, if Michigan won the first 13, then post WWI the count would be OSU 32 wins, Mich. 29.

    But...yes, of course we can't go back and revise history. I simply wanted to point out that prior to WWI the programs were not really operating at parity. (maybe if OSU wins 7 more in a row we can say they aren't operating at parity again, only in the other direction!)

    I wasn't trying to point that out like I am a Michigan fan, and noted that OSU wasn't in the league until much later. You sometime forget I like the Bucks.

    I was simply pointing out the raw numbers to bolster my point about the two programs having dominated the conference for the last 70 years and it makes no sense to put the two of them in the same division.

    The article's point was about the change that is going to take place....moving the game date and splitting them in to opposite divisions.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Great, you saw it...the last couple I haven't because it wasn't picked up as the network game. I would have had to view it PPV or head to some bar.

    What awesome game was on instead? I was under the understanding that the game has been a nationally televised game on ABC for years.

    I am not doubting you, I am only curious as to what they would show in Chattanooga at the same time that would be viewed as a better matchup. They might put an SEC game on, but I think that would be on a competing network. ( I believe CBS carries SEC games, ABC Big Ten)

    @the-gipper said:

    What awesome game was on instead? I was under the understanding that the game has been a nationally televised game on ABC for years.

    I am not doubting you, I am only curious as to what they would show in Chattanooga at the same time that would be viewed as a better matchup. They might put an SEC game on, but I think that would be on a competing network. ( I believe CBS carries SEC games, ABC Big Ten

    )

    I don't know what game was on....I didn't watch when I settled in to watch OSU/Mich...it wasn't a SEC game....those are CBS. Probably some ACC match-up...maybe Ga Tech/Clemson.

    I do remember I was a bit shocked it wasn't on...and that was 2 years ago...I wasn't shocked this year given Michigans woes.

  • I don't know we have a lot of. Jrs and srs this year... plus there won't be any imaginary pass interference calls

    @wrrebel said:

    I don't know we have a lot of. Jrs and srs this year... plus there won't be any imaginary pass interference calls

    Dude, only a Miami fan would consider that an imaginary call.

    1st of all, the CB was all over the receiver. So even if tape proves that the ball was not in the air yet when contact was made, there were two other penalties that could have been called, that would have ended up with the same end result (considering the NEXT play was the TD that won the game.)

    1) It was illegal contact. Yes, illegal contact is a penalty in college, although I'm not sure its after 5 yards, or just simply illegal contact or what. You aren't allowed to maul the receiver in college, even if the ball is not in the air yet. The receiver on that play got mauled.

    2) It could have been called as holding as well.

    So regardless, a penalty would have given them half the distance to the goal whether it was pass interference or holding or mauling. And since they scored on the next play, the pass interference giving them a new set of downs didn't matter, since it only took one down to score.