Skip to content

rivarly gone!

The Browns Board
39 15 2.9k
  • A quick search gave me these numbers, though I can't say they are totally accurate and I am sure on occasion some of these titles were shared titles. I am just taking the numbers at face value.

    Michigan....42 titles

    OSU...32 titles.

    OSU joined the Big 10 in 1912 so some of Michigans titles came before OSU was a member...even throw out 10 which is no doubt a high number and they have 32 each...that is 64 in 98 years.....65%

    @ballpeen said:

    A quick search gave me these numbers, though I can't say they are totally accurate and I am sure on occasion some of these titles were shared titles. I am just taking the numbers at face value.

    Michigan....42 titles

    OSU...32 titles.

    OSU joined the Big 10 in 1912 so some of Michigans titles came before OSU was a member...even throw out 10 which is no doubt a high number and they have 32 each...that is 64 in 98 years.....65%

    FYI, of that lead that Michigan holds, note that Michigan won the first 13 in a row between 1897 and 1918 which was before OSU became any sort of a national power. Michigan along with Notre Dame and Army and some of the Ivies were the only big time college teams then. After OSU began developing its program post WWI the rivalry has been pretty even if not in OSU's favor. In fact doing the math, if Michigan won the first 13, then post WWI the count would be OSU 32 wins, Mich. 29.

    But...yes, of course we can't go back and revise history. I simply wanted to point out that prior to WWI the programs were not really operating at parity. (maybe if OSU wins 7 more in a row we can say they aren't operating at parity again, only in the other direction!)

  • I find this game the most over rated/boring game of the year.. No one outside ohio or michigan gives a sh*t about this game... I LOVE college football and can honestly say I have never watched more than a quarter of one of these games. The reason the big ten is doing this is because the big ten has NOTHING else going for it! So why not try and make the "biggest" game happen twice a year... Oh.. and GO IRISH!

    @585dawg said:

    I find this game the most over rated/boring game of the year.. No one outside ohio or michigan gives a sh*t about this game... I LOVE college football and can honestly say I have never watched more than a quarter of one of these games. The reason the big ten is doing this is because the big ten has NOTHING else going for it! So why not try and make the "biggest" game happen twice a year... Oh.. and GO IRISH!

    Yea, right. The fact is, if you don't like the OSU-Mich. rivalry, you don't like college football. Plain and simple.

    And if you say OSU/Mich is irrelevent, then what can be said about Notre Dame?

    Unfortuneatly I think this is what you can say about ND: (and note my screen name, so don't think I am happy about this):

    Notre Dame is about to be placed on a par with other similar institutions like Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford:

    quality educations, below average football programs (in terms of winning).

    In fact, in my opinion, given the fluctuation in college conferences these days, these schools should form their own new separate conference:

    Duke

    Notre Dame

    Vandy

    Northwestern

    Army

    Navy

    Rice

    Stanford

    Boston College

    and maybe a couple more.

  • @1-more-season said:

    There is no way that the BIG TEN will allow the OHIO ST. v. michigan to loose its significance.

    "For years it was on national television....for the last 2-3 it was a regional game as it wasn't one here in the south." Not true. I live in the South and see it every year.

    "Ask many Michigan natives what The Games is to them and many respond Michigan vs Michigan St" I believe many michigan st. fans might say that but not wolverine fans. MI v. MI state is a cute little game but it doesn't compare.

    The SEC preserved the Iron Bowl after their expansion. the BIG TEN will do the same with the BIG GAME.

    Great, you saw it...the last couple I haven't because it wasn't picked up as the network game. I would have had to view it PPV or head to some bar.

    @ballpeen said:

    Great, you saw it...the last couple I haven't because it wasn't picked up as the network game. I would have had to view it PPV or head to some bar.

    What awesome game was on instead? I was under the understanding that the game has been a nationally televised game on ABC for years.

    I am not doubting you, I am only curious as to what they would show in Chattanooga at the same time that would be viewed as a better matchup. They might put an SEC game on, but I think that would be on a competing network. ( I believe CBS carries SEC games, ABC Big Ten)

  • @585dawg said:

    I find this game the most over rated/boring game of the year.. No one outside ohio or michigan gives a sh*t about this game... I LOVE college football and can honestly say I have never watched more than a quarter of one of these games. The reason the big ten is doing this is because the big ten has NOTHING else going for it! So why not try and make the "biggest" game happen twice a year... Oh.. and GO IRISH!

    Yea, right. The fact is, if you don't like the OSU-Mich. rivalry, you don't like college football. Plain and simple.

    And if you say OSU/Mich is irrelevent, then what can be said about Notre Dame?

    Unfortuneatly I think this is what you can say about ND: (and note my screen name, so don't think I am happy about this):

    Notre Dame is about to be placed on a par with other similar institutions like Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford:

    quality educations, below average football programs (in terms of winning).

    In fact, in my opinion, given the fluctuation in college conferences these days, these schools should form their own new separate conference:

    Duke

    Notre Dame

    Vandy

    Northwestern

    Army

    Navy

    Rice

    Stanford

    Boston College

    and maybe a couple more.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yea, right. The fact is, if you don't like the OSU-Mich. rivalry, you don't like college football. Plain and simple.

    And if you say OSU/Mich is irrelevent, then what can be said about Notre Dame?

    Unfortuneatly I think this is what you can say about ND: (and note my screen name, so don't think I am happy about this):

    Notre Dame is about to be placed on a par with other similar institutions like Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford:

    quality educations, below average football programs (in terms of winning).

    In fact, in my opinion, given the fluctuation in college conferences these days, these schools should form their own new separate conference:

    Duke

    Notre Dame

    Vandy

    Northwestern

    Army

    Navy

    Rice

    Stanford

    Boston College

    and maybe a couple more

    .

    Would this new conference be called the Big Brain? With the occasional blip from ND, BC and Stanford this conference would be just as good if not better than Conference USA or the WAC. ECU should be n the ACC

  • @ballpeen said:

    A quick search gave me these numbers, though I can't say they are totally accurate and I am sure on occasion some of these titles were shared titles. I am just taking the numbers at face value.

    Michigan....42 titles

    OSU...32 titles.

    OSU joined the Big 10 in 1912 so some of Michigans titles came before OSU was a member...even throw out 10 which is no doubt a high number and they have 32 each...that is 64 in 98 years.....65%

    FYI, of that lead that Michigan holds, note that Michigan won the first 13 in a row between 1897 and 1918 which was before OSU became any sort of a national power. Michigan along with Notre Dame and Army and some of the Ivies were the only big time college teams then. After OSU began developing its program post WWI the rivalry has been pretty even if not in OSU's favor. In fact doing the math, if Michigan won the first 13, then post WWI the count would be OSU 32 wins, Mich. 29.

    But...yes, of course we can't go back and revise history. I simply wanted to point out that prior to WWI the programs were not really operating at parity. (maybe if OSU wins 7 more in a row we can say they aren't operating at parity again, only in the other direction!)

    @the-gipper said:

    FYI, of that lead that Michigan holds, note that Michigan won the first 13 in a row between 1897 and 1918 which was before OSU became any sort of a national power. Michigan along with Notre Dame and Army and some of the Ivies were the only big time college teams then. After OSU began developing its program post WWI the rivalry has been pretty even if not in OSU's favor. In fact doing the math, if Michigan won the first 13, then post WWI the count would be OSU 32 wins, Mich. 29.

    But...yes, of course we can't go back and revise history. I simply wanted to point out that prior to WWI the programs were not really operating at parity. (maybe if OSU wins 7 more in a row we can say they aren't operating at parity again, only in the other direction!)

    I wasn't trying to point that out like I am a Michigan fan, and noted that OSU wasn't in the league until much later. You sometime forget I like the Bucks.

    I was simply pointing out the raw numbers to bolster my point about the two programs having dominated the conference for the last 70 years and it makes no sense to put the two of them in the same division.

    The article's point was about the change that is going to take place....moving the game date and splitting them in to opposite divisions.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Great, you saw it...the last couple I haven't because it wasn't picked up as the network game. I would have had to view it PPV or head to some bar.

    What awesome game was on instead? I was under the understanding that the game has been a nationally televised game on ABC for years.

    I am not doubting you, I am only curious as to what they would show in Chattanooga at the same time that would be viewed as a better matchup. They might put an SEC game on, but I think that would be on a competing network. ( I believe CBS carries SEC games, ABC Big Ten)

    @the-gipper said:

    What awesome game was on instead? I was under the understanding that the game has been a nationally televised game on ABC for years.

    I am not doubting you, I am only curious as to what they would show in Chattanooga at the same time that would be viewed as a better matchup. They might put an SEC game on, but I think that would be on a competing network. ( I believe CBS carries SEC games, ABC Big Ten

    )

    I don't know what game was on....I didn't watch when I settled in to watch OSU/Mich...it wasn't a SEC game....those are CBS. Probably some ACC match-up...maybe Ga Tech/Clemson.

    I do remember I was a bit shocked it wasn't on...and that was 2 years ago...I wasn't shocked this year given Michigans woes.

  • I don't know we have a lot of. Jrs and srs this year... plus there won't be any imaginary pass interference calls

    @wrrebel said:

    I don't know we have a lot of. Jrs and srs this year... plus there won't be any imaginary pass interference calls

    Dude, only a Miami fan would consider that an imaginary call.

    1st of all, the CB was all over the receiver. So even if tape proves that the ball was not in the air yet when contact was made, there were two other penalties that could have been called, that would have ended up with the same end result (considering the NEXT play was the TD that won the game.)

    1) It was illegal contact. Yes, illegal contact is a penalty in college, although I'm not sure its after 5 yards, or just simply illegal contact or what. You aren't allowed to maul the receiver in college, even if the ball is not in the air yet. The receiver on that play got mauled.

    2) It could have been called as holding as well.

    So regardless, a penalty would have given them half the distance to the goal whether it was pass interference or holding or mauling. And since they scored on the next play, the pass interference giving them a new set of downs didn't matter, since it only took one down to score.

  • Damn I didn't know people were really still emotional over that pass interf call. That was ages ago.. miami has been poop ever since butch davis left. Coker won the national title but u or I could have coached those players..

    All I really care about is the browns winning.

  • Damn I didn't know people were really still emotional over that pass interf call. That was ages ago.. miami has been poop ever since butch davis left. Coker won the national title but u or I could have coached those players..

    All I really care about is the browns winning.

    @wrrebel said:

    Damn I didn't know people were really still emotional over that pass interf call. That was ages ago.. miami has been poop ever since butch davis left. Coker won the national title but u or I could have coached those players..

    All I really care about is the browns winning.

    Damn straight I'm still emotional about it. I'm a diehard Buckeye fan. And whenever someone tries to put an asterisk by that National Championship, it pisses me off, because that was a legit call.

  • Dude there is no asteric but and I'm sure there were other calls that were misseed, but that was a horrible call. I am a huge hurricane fan, let's not forget that's where bernie went.

  • Dude there is no asteric but and I'm sure there were other calls that were misseed, but that was a horrible call. I am a huge hurricane fan, let's not forget that's where bernie went.

    @wrrebel said:

    Dude there is no asteric but and I'm sure there were other calls that were misseed, but that was a horrible call. I am a huge hurricane fan, let's not forget that's where bernie went.

    I haven't forgotten that. One reason why I hate BC and Doug Flutie. But the fact is, that call was a good and the correct call. Watch the slow motion replay. The WR got mauled. No matter how you look at it, it should have been some kind of penalty. Perhaps the wrong penalty was called, but regardless, it should have been a penalty, which would have extended the game for at least one more play. That's all it took for the Buckeyes to win.

  • it's a really easy call on the penalty/no penalty argument. on the play that the interference flag was thrown, there was no pass interference. however, if you go back and look at the play before that, there was pass interference that was not called. the ref knew it. it was a make-good call.

  • @585dawg said:

    I find this game the most over rated/boring game of the year.. No one outside ohio or michigan gives a sh*t about this game... I LOVE college football and can honestly say I have never watched more than a quarter of one of these games. The reason the big ten is doing this is because the big ten has NOTHING else going for it! So why not try and make the "biggest" game happen twice a year... Oh.. and GO IRISH!

    Yea, right. The fact is, if you don't like the OSU-Mich. rivalry, you don't like college football. Plain and simple.

    And if you say OSU/Mich is irrelevent, then what can be said about Notre Dame?

    Unfortuneatly I think this is what you can say about ND: (and note my screen name, so don't think I am happy about this):

    Notre Dame is about to be placed on a par with other similar institutions like Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford:

    quality educations, below average football programs (in terms of winning).

    In fact, in my opinion, given the fluctuation in college conferences these days, these schools should form their own new separate conference:

    Duke

    Notre Dame

    Vandy

    Northwestern

    Army

    Navy

    Rice

    Stanford

    Boston College

    and maybe a couple more.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yea, right. The fact is, if you don't like the OSU-Mich. rivalry, you don't like college football. Plain and simple.

    And if you say OSU/Mich is irrelevent, then what can be said about Notre Dame?

    Unfortuneatly I think this is what you can say about ND: (and note my screen name, so don't think I am happy about this):

    Notre Dame is about to be placed on a par with other similar institutions like Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford:

    quality educations, below average football programs (in terms of winning).

    In fact, in my opinion, given the fluctuation in college conferences these days, these schools should form their own new separate conference:

    Duke

    Notre Dame

    Vandy

    Northwestern

    Army

    Navy

    Rice

    Stanford

    Boston College

    and maybe a couple more

    .

    Include the the Ivy League and throw in MIT and UCBerkley (sp) while you are at it

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yea, right. The fact is, if you don't like the OSU-Mich. rivalry, you don't like college football. Plain and simple.

    And if you say OSU/Mich is irrelevent, then what can be said about Notre Dame?

    Unfortuneatly I think this is what you can say about ND: (and note my screen name, so don't think I am happy about this):

    Notre Dame is about to be placed on a par with other similar institutions like Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford:

    quality educations, below average football programs (in terms of winning).

    In fact, in my opinion, given the fluctuation in college conferences these days, these schools should form their own new separate conference:

    Duke

    Notre Dame

    Vandy

    Northwestern

    Army

    Navy

    Rice

    Stanford

    Boston College

    and maybe a couple more

    .

    Would this new conference be called the Big Brain? With the occasional blip from ND, BC and Stanford this conference would be just as good if not better than Conference USA or the WAC. ECU should be n the ACC

    @1-more-season said:

    Would this new conference be called the Big Brain? With the occasional blip from ND, BC and Stanford this conference would be just as good if not better than Conference USA or the WAC. ECU should be n the ACC

    OK, Big Brain Conference. I like it, though, I doubt those schools would be so arrogant as to use that moniker....though.....on the other hand....they may just be that arrogant!

  • @the-gipper said:

    FYI, of that lead that Michigan holds, note that Michigan won the first 13 in a row between 1897 and 1918 which was before OSU became any sort of a national power. Michigan along with Notre Dame and Army and some of the Ivies were the only big time college teams then. After OSU began developing its program post WWI the rivalry has been pretty even if not in OSU's favor. In fact doing the math, if Michigan won the first 13, then post WWI the count would be OSU 32 wins, Mich. 29.

    But...yes, of course we can't go back and revise history. I simply wanted to point out that prior to WWI the programs were not really operating at parity. (maybe if OSU wins 7 more in a row we can say they aren't operating at parity again, only in the other direction!)

    I wasn't trying to point that out like I am a Michigan fan, and noted that OSU wasn't in the league until much later. You sometime forget I like the Bucks.

    I was simply pointing out the raw numbers to bolster my point about the two programs having dominated the conference for the last 70 years and it makes no sense to put the two of them in the same division.

    The article's point was about the change that is going to take place....moving the game date and splitting them in to opposite divisions.

    @ballpeen said:

    I wasn't trying to point that out like I am a Michigan fan, and noted that OSU wasn't in the league until much later. You sometime forget I like the Bucks.

    I was simply pointing out the raw numbers to bolster my point about the two programs having dominated the conference for the last 70 years and it makes no sense to put the two of them in the same division.

    The article's point was about the change that is going to take place....moving the game date and splitting them in to opposite divisions.

    No, peen, God forbid I wasn't accusing you of such a monstrous act as being a Michigan fan 😵

    I was just giving the data on the rivalry before and after a certain point to show that the apparent dominance the Michigan has in the rivalry was totally front loaded.

  • Dude there is no asteric but and I'm sure there were other calls that were misseed, but that was a horrible call. I am a huge hurricane fan, let's not forget that's where bernie went.

    @wrrebel said:

    Dude there is no asteric but and I'm sure there were other calls that were misseed, but that was a horrible call. I am a huge hurricane fan, let's not forget that's where bernie went.

    It wasn't a horrible call, it was justifiable. On the other hand, if the call had not been made Buckeye fans would have had a bitch. So, it perhaps was a debatable call, not horrible. And the right team won. The dominant team won.

  • Well I can agree with most of that statement , but it was a pretty even match. If willis mcgahee doesn't get hurt who knows..

  • it's a really easy call on the penalty/no penalty argument. on the play that the interference flag was thrown, there was no pass interference. however, if you go back and look at the play before that, there was pass interference that was not called. the ref knew it. it was a make-good call.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    it's a really easy call on the penalty/no penalty argument. on the play that the interference flag was thrown, there was no pass interference. however, if you go back and look at the play before that, there was pass interference that was not called. the ref knew it. it was a make-good call.

    I agree that there wasn't pass interference on the play in question, because the ball was not in the air yet. However, there was a penalty on the play, as the WR was getting mauled by the CB. As such, it didn't matter what the actual call was, just that there was a call at all.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I wasn't trying to point that out like I am a Michigan fan, and noted that OSU wasn't in the league until much later. You sometime forget I like the Bucks.

    I was simply pointing out the raw numbers to bolster my point about the two programs having dominated the conference for the last 70 years and it makes no sense to put the two of them in the same division.

    The article's point was about the change that is going to take place....moving the game date and splitting them in to opposite divisions.

    No, peen, God forbid I wasn't accusing you of such a monstrous act as being a Michigan fan 😵

    I was just giving the data on the rivalry before and after a certain point to show that the apparent dominance the Michigan has in the rivalry was totally front loaded.

    @the-gipper said:

    No, peen, God forbid I wasn't accusing you of such a monstrous act as being a Michigan fan 😵

    I was just giving the data on the rivalry before and after a certain point to show that the apparent dominance the Michigan has in the rivalry was totally front loaded.

    Ok....just wanted to make that clear.

    No doubt I am a Gator fan and I don't pretend to hide that. I went to school there and that is my college team, but the Bucks are who I grew up rooting for and it is not very often I am not actively rooting for them ...and even against the Gator's, I didn't root against them. Had the Bucks won those games, I would have slept with a smile on my face, be it a slightly smaller smile.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yea, right. The fact is, if you don't like the OSU-Mich. rivalry, you don't like college football. Plain and simple.

    And if you say OSU/Mich is irrelevent, then what can be said about Notre Dame?

    Unfortuneatly I think this is what you can say about ND: (and note my screen name, so don't think I am happy about this):

    Notre Dame is about to be placed on a par with other similar institutions like Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford:

    quality educations, below average football programs (in terms of winning).

    In fact, in my opinion, given the fluctuation in college conferences these days, these schools should form their own new separate conference:

    Duke

    Notre Dame

    Vandy

    Northwestern

    Army

    Navy

    Rice

    Stanford

    Boston College

    and maybe a couple more

    .

    Include the the Ivy League and throw in MIT and UCBerkley (sp) while you are at it

    @slowburn said:

    Include the the Ivy League and throw in MIT and UCBerkley (sp) while you are at it

    Cal-Berkely, maybe. The Ivy League plays in a lower division, so I wouldn't include them. And I don't even think MIT fields a football team.