Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. 18 Games

18 Games

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
18 Posts 11 Posters 2.1k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Bob806 Bob806B Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 5k Posts
    • 2k Reputation
    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I'm not crazy about an 18 game schedule, as proposed by the owners. This off-season has the potential to really suck, billionaire owners vs. wealthy players. I'm getting old, as when I became a fan, we played 14 games (I know some of our posters remember the 12 game schedule).

    Just remember, it's not about the money, right?

    A lockout or strike is coming....I hope not, but let's savor a hopefully good 2010 for our Browns.

    Karlis Missed
    B R 2 Replies Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Bob806B Bob806

      I'm not crazy about an 18 game schedule, as proposed by the owners. This off-season has the potential to really suck, billionaire owners vs. wealthy players. I'm getting old, as when I became a fan, we played 14 games (I know some of our posters remember the 12 game schedule).

      Just remember, it's not about the money, right?

      A lockout or strike is coming....I hope not, but let's savor a hopefully good 2010 for our Browns.

      bringbackbrownie2 B
      • 1k Posts
      • 118 Reputation
      B bringbackbrownie2 wrote on last edited by
      #2

      @bob806 said:

      I'm not crazy about an 18 game schedule, as proposed by the owners. This off-season has the potential to really suck, billionaire owners vs. wealthy players. I'm getting old, as when I became a fan, we played 14 games (I know some of our posters remember the 12 game schedule).

      Just remember, it's not about the money, right?

      A lockout or strike is coming....I hope not, but let's savor a hopefully good 2010 for our Browns.

      I love watching football but I'm not crazy about 18 games either. There are enough injuries as is and coaches need the extra preseason games to figure out who they want to keep on the roster.. Also, teams like the colts would then throw 3 or 4 games at the end of the year because they could clinch the top seed even earlier. I just feel like the owners care only about the extra money in their pockets and are not taking into effect all the problems that can come from this..

      But no matter what is decided, I am just looking forward to a solid Browns season, and hopefully no lockout next year..

      hoortaH 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • B bringbackbrownie2

        @bob806 said:

        I'm not crazy about an 18 game schedule, as proposed by the owners. This off-season has the potential to really suck, billionaire owners vs. wealthy players. I'm getting old, as when I became a fan, we played 14 games (I know some of our posters remember the 12 game schedule).

        Just remember, it's not about the money, right?

        A lockout or strike is coming....I hope not, but let's savor a hopefully good 2010 for our Browns.

        I love watching football but I'm not crazy about 18 games either. There are enough injuries as is and coaches need the extra preseason games to figure out who they want to keep on the roster.. Also, teams like the colts would then throw 3 or 4 games at the end of the year because they could clinch the top seed even earlier. I just feel like the owners care only about the extra money in their pockets and are not taking into effect all the problems that can come from this..

        But no matter what is decided, I am just looking forward to a solid Browns season, and hopefully no lockout next year..

        hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 20k Posts
        • 5k Reputation
        hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
        #3

        @bringbackbrownie2 said:

        I love watching football but I'm not crazy about 18 games either. There are enough injuries as is and coaches need the extra preseason games to figure out who they want to keep on the roster.. Also, teams like the colts would then throw 3 or 4 games at the end of the year because they could clinch the top seed even earlier. I just feel like the owners care only about the extra money in their pockets and are not taking into effect all the problems that can come from this..

        But no matter what is decided, I am just looking forward to a solid Browns season, and hopefully no lockout next year..

        The problem could be solved if the owners discounted the price of the preseason games and added it on to the price of regular season games. Fer instance, as a Browns season ticket holder, why should I have to pay full freight next Thursday to watch the starters play one series against the Bears? HEY RANDY, THAT'S WHAT THE FANS OBJECT TO!!! Let's say you reduce the preseason games to 1\2 price. In my section, that would add about $8 to the price of a regular season game.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • USFBrown USFBrownU Conversation Starter Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Dedicated One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 2k Posts
          • 270 Reputation
          USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by
          #4

          I don't want the extra games either. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! It will just add more time for injuries or sitting your starters late. Football is great because every game counts! Plus it will mess up records even more.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 9k Posts
            • 2k Reputation
            ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
            #5

            You guys are nuts....I want 20 regular season games.......I agree with Hoorta.....for me it is all about the crappy pre-season games I am forced to buy at regular price. The value isn't there.

            Quit corn holing the people who put their money up front to support the team...that or don't televise the first few games of the season.

            You want to watch??? Pay up.

            If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Bob806B Bob806

              I'm not crazy about an 18 game schedule, as proposed by the owners. This off-season has the potential to really suck, billionaire owners vs. wealthy players. I'm getting old, as when I became a fan, we played 14 games (I know some of our posters remember the 12 game schedule).

              Just remember, it's not about the money, right?

              A lockout or strike is coming....I hope not, but let's savor a hopefully good 2010 for our Browns.

              roach R One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 1k Posts
              • 80 Reputation
              R roach wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @bob806 said:

              I'm not crazy about an 18 game schedule, as proposed by the owners. This off-season has the potential to really suck, billionaire owners vs. wealthy players. I'm getting old, as when I became a fan, we played 14 games (I know some of our posters remember the 12 game schedule).

              i'm guessing you're not a season ticket holder. Paying for 10 games when only 8 count is an issue for most of us.

              S Bob806B 2 Replies Last reply
              ❤
              Quote Reply
              • R roach

                @bob806 said:

                I'm not crazy about an 18 game schedule, as proposed by the owners. This off-season has the potential to really suck, billionaire owners vs. wealthy players. I'm getting old, as when I became a fan, we played 14 games (I know some of our posters remember the 12 game schedule).

                i'm guessing you're not a season ticket holder. Paying for 10 games when only 8 count is an issue for most of us.

                Squintz S
                • 508 Posts
                • 5 Reputation
                S Squintz wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @roach said:

                i'm guessing you're not a season ticket holder. Paying for 10 games when only 8 count is an issue for most of us.

                THAT is the biggest issue - at least for me. I don't mind just 16 games and think that's fine, but they need to either cut the price of preseason tix in half or separate them completely from the season ticket package.

                CHANGE IS GOOD
                hoortaH 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • S Squintz

                  @roach said:

                  i'm guessing you're not a season ticket holder. Paying for 10 games when only 8 count is an issue for most of us.

                  THAT is the biggest issue - at least for me. I don't mind just 16 games and think that's fine, but they need to either cut the price of preseason tix in half or separate them completely from the season ticket package.

                  hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 20k Posts
                  • 5k Reputation
                  hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
                  #8

                  @squintz said:

                  THAT is the biggest issue - at least for me. I don't mind just 16 games and think that's fine, but they need to either cut the price of preseason tix in half or separate them completely from the season ticket package.

                  😆 Ya know way back when- like in the 60s, the preseason was separate from the regular season, it was optional. Modell even used to have preseason doubleheaders- (4 teams) any owner wanting to try that now would be locked up as nuts. Two for the price of one? How quaint!

                  Yup, the owners stuck it to the season ticket holders for all they were worth. Now it's pay up by May 1st, or kiss your PSL goodbye. BTW, I'll bet the ranch if there's a lockout next year, those of us who have anted up for season tickets wont get a refund for games not played- they'll just credit us on our 2012 bill. 😠

                  ballpeenB 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • hoortaH hoorta

                    @squintz said:

                    THAT is the biggest issue - at least for me. I don't mind just 16 games and think that's fine, but they need to either cut the price of preseason tix in half or separate them completely from the season ticket package.

                    😆 Ya know way back when- like in the 60s, the preseason was separate from the regular season, it was optional. Modell even used to have preseason doubleheaders- (4 teams) any owner wanting to try that now would be locked up as nuts. Two for the price of one? How quaint!

                    Yup, the owners stuck it to the season ticket holders for all they were worth. Now it's pay up by May 1st, or kiss your PSL goodbye. BTW, I'll bet the ranch if there's a lockout next year, those of us who have anted up for season tickets wont get a refund for games not played- they'll just credit us on our 2012 bill. 😠

                    ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 9k Posts
                    • 2k Reputation
                    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @hoorta said:

                    😆 Ya know way back when- like in the 60s, the preseason was separate from the regular season, it was optional. Modell even used to have preseason doubleheaders- (4 teams) any owner wanting to try that now would be locked up as nuts. Two for the price of one? How quaint!

                    Yup, the owners stuck it to the season ticket holders for all they were worth. Now it's pay up by May 1st, or kiss your PSL goodbye. BTW, I'll bet the ranch if there's a lockout next year, those of us who have anted up for season tickets wont get a refund for games not played- they'll just credit us on our 2012 bill. 😠

                    Oh, no doubt.

                    And you can bet the lockout will be announced after season ticket money is due.

                    If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • R roach

                      @bob806 said:

                      I'm not crazy about an 18 game schedule, as proposed by the owners. This off-season has the potential to really suck, billionaire owners vs. wealthy players. I'm getting old, as when I became a fan, we played 14 games (I know some of our posters remember the 12 game schedule).

                      i'm guessing you're not a season ticket holder. Paying for 10 games when only 8 count is an issue for most of us.

                      Bob806 Bob806B Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 5k Posts
                      • 2k Reputation
                      Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @roach said:

                      i'm guessing you're not a season ticket holder. Paying for 10 games when only 8 count is an issue for most of us.

                      Yes, I am a season ticket holder. I hate paying for meaningless preseason games as well. I have had tickets since 1979 (had a hiatus in early 90s). It looks like a money grab to me by the owners, and they must be pulling in support from some/many fans on this (based on some of the comments on this thread).

                      The bigger issue IMHO is that the NFL is unique, as fewer games played = more need for urgency for teams to compete at a high level ( yes, there are exceptions, like the Colts recently). Adding more games may water down the schedule, taking away the urgency.

                      Just my two cents.

                      Karlis Missed
                      USFBrownU 1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Bob806B Bob806

                        @roach said:

                        i'm guessing you're not a season ticket holder. Paying for 10 games when only 8 count is an issue for most of us.

                        Yes, I am a season ticket holder. I hate paying for meaningless preseason games as well. I have had tickets since 1979 (had a hiatus in early 90s). It looks like a money grab to me by the owners, and they must be pulling in support from some/many fans on this (based on some of the comments on this thread).

                        The bigger issue IMHO is that the NFL is unique, as fewer games played = more need for urgency for teams to compete at a high level ( yes, there are exceptions, like the Colts recently). Adding more games may water down the schedule, taking away the urgency.

                        Just my two cents.

                        USFBrown USFBrownU Conversation Starter Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Dedicated One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 2k Posts
                        • 270 Reputation
                        USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @bob806 said:

                        Yes, I am a season ticket holder. I hate paying for meaningless preseason games as well. I have had tickets since 1979 (had a hiatus in early 90s). It looks like a money grab to me by the owners, and they must be pulling in support from some/many fans on this (based on some of the comments on this thread).

                        The bigger issue IMHO is that the NFL is unique, as fewer games played = more need for urgency for teams to compete at a high level ( yes, there are exceptions, like the Colts recently). Adding more games may water down the schedule, taking away the urgency.

                        Just my two cents.

                        I'm not a season ticket holder but I agree the fewer games is better. I love football, but i love the fact that every game matters. That's part of what makes the sport so great. We don't need to dilute it. Teams already sit the starters at the end of a 16 game season.

                        If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!!!

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        ❤
                        Quote Reply
                        • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 9k Posts
                          • 2k Reputation
                          ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
                          #12

                          Sorry fellas. Baseball plays 162 games a season and how many races boil down to a few games??

                          Happens every year. That blown 5 run lead in May could very well be the difference between a playoff game and finishing 1 game out or winning outright and a playoff game..

                          The number of games has no impact on the importance of each individual game.

                          The saying in baseball is most every team is going to win 60 games and lose 60....it's what you do in the other 42 that tell the story.

                          The thing is you just never know which 42 are going to make the difference.

                          If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • BrownB499 BrownB499B
                            • 571 Posts
                            • 32 Reputation
                            BrownB499B BrownB499 wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            Formerly Stone said:

                            Virtually every move the NFL makes smacks of "our fans are dumb enough to pay for anything, let's dilute the talent by adding teams, dilute the product even further by adding more games, move games out of the country, change the rules, the fans will still stand in line to pay through the nose"

                            I predict you will see the NFL suffering from this greed in another five years.

                            But first...lets watch these five commercials...come back to watch a punt...then back to five more commercials

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • Gips GipsG
                              • 3k Posts
                              • 34 Reputation
                              GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              Im all for an 18 game season as a fan but as an nfl coach i wouldnt care for it at all. hehehehe

                              We have been rebuilding since 1964, Why stop now? GO BROWNS!
                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 9k Posts
                                • 2k Reputation
                                ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
                                #15

                                I don't think the coaches prepare any differently be it a pre-season game or a regular season game, so I don't see them caring one way or the other. They are still planning 20 games.

                                If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • NewEraDawg NewEraDawgN
                                  • 645 Posts
                                  • 0 Reputation
                                  NewEraDawgN NewEraDawg wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  Funny thing..............The players are crying over the proposition of more games ...........and at the same time always crying for more money . Sooner or later the crying is going to have to stop on one front or the other . The fact is greed has already put this game in peril .

                                  NewEraDawg
                                  The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • NewEraDawgN NewEraDawg

                                    Funny thing..............The players are crying over the proposition of more games ...........and at the same time always crying for more money . Sooner or later the crying is going to have to stop on one front or the other . The fact is greed has already put this game in peril .

                                    The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                    • 57k Posts
                                    • 4k Reputation
                                    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @neweradawg said:

                                    Funny thing..............The players are crying over the proposition of more games ...........and at the same time always crying for more money . Sooner or later the crying is going to have to stop on one front or the other . The fact is greed has already put this game in peril .

                                    Actually, as I understand it, it is the NFL owners that want to roll back the salary cap numbers by 18%....in other words, they are demanding the players take a pay cut. The main issues as explained yesterday are:

                                    1. The owners wanting an 18% rollback on player salaries.

                                    2. The 18 game season.

                                    3. A rookie salary cap, which both sides agree on. What they don't agree on is where the savings from that cap should go. The players want 100 million of it to go to the pension/medical fund for retired players, and the rest to go to veterans. The owners pretty much say OK to the pension/medical fund, but they want to other 100 mill for themselves....to be used on player salaries or on whatever else (including apparently, owner profit) they see fit.

                                    Bob806B 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • The GipperT The Gipper

                                      @neweradawg said:

                                      Funny thing..............The players are crying over the proposition of more games ...........and at the same time always crying for more money . Sooner or later the crying is going to have to stop on one front or the other . The fact is greed has already put this game in peril .

                                      Actually, as I understand it, it is the NFL owners that want to roll back the salary cap numbers by 18%....in other words, they are demanding the players take a pay cut. The main issues as explained yesterday are:

                                      1. The owners wanting an 18% rollback on player salaries.

                                      2. The 18 game season.

                                      3. A rookie salary cap, which both sides agree on. What they don't agree on is where the savings from that cap should go. The players want 100 million of it to go to the pension/medical fund for retired players, and the rest to go to veterans. The owners pretty much say OK to the pension/medical fund, but they want to other 100 mill for themselves....to be used on player salaries or on whatever else (including apparently, owner profit) they see fit.

                                      Bob806 Bob806B Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                      • 5k Posts
                                      • 2k Reputation
                                      Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by Bob806
                                      #18

                                      @the-gipper said:

                                      Actually, as I understand it, it is the NFL owners that want to roll back the salary cap numbers by 18%....in other words, they are demanding the players take a pay cut. The main issues as explained yesterday are:

                                      1. The owners wanting an 18% rollback on player salaries.

                                      2. The 18 game season.

                                      3. A rookie salary cap, which both sides agree on. What they don't agree on is where the savings from that cap should go. The players want 100 million of it to go to the pension/medical fund for retired players, and the rest to go to veterans. The owners pretty much say OK to the pension/medical fund, but they want to other 100 mill for themselves....to be used on player salaries or on whatever else (including apparently, owner profit) they see fit.

                                      Labor negotiations are always ridiculous in the first stages- way far apart on critical issues, and then common ground is met eventually.

                                      What's funny is we have billionaire owners negotiating with millionaire players. Sam Gompers is churning in his grave somewhere...

                                      Karlis Missed
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply

                                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                      Register Login
                                      Reply
                                      • Reply as topic
                                      Log in to reply
                                      • Oldest to Newest
                                      • Newest to Oldest
                                      • Most Votes


                                      Theme
                                      • System
                                      • Light
                                      • Dark
                                      The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                      The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                      • First post
                                        Last post
                                      0
                                      • Forums
                                      • Recent
                                      • Popular
                                      • Users
                                      • Donate