Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Barber Shop Talk
  3. Farming....

Farming....

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Barber Shop Talk
3 Posts 3 Posters 852 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Kosar_For_President Kosar_For_PresidentK
    • 6k Posts
    • 221 Reputation
    Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Mainly for Cal here.

    I think I told you I am moving back to the OBX. The house I am at has a lot of fenced in land and next spring looking to plant a sizable garden. I know it is a ways away, I was wondering if there is anything I could read over the winter to get me educated on what to do, plant, etc.

    After canning your veggies, how long do they last?

    See I am interested in planting some stuff that will also be easy to store and have protein as well as the other stuff. ie, making salsa, maybe sunflower seeds, beans, etc.

    What is good to plant and what is easily storable over the winter, for the WHOLE winter. How should I store it?

    How much land would I need to get up to speed for feeding 2 people for the winter (obviously not everything) but to be able to add this and that to meals, etc.

    I know you could talk about this for weeks or months, but as an amature I just need a good place to start.

    Any other advice from the people here (maybe T cause he lives in the same climate)?

    Thanks

    Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB - Ghoolie, 2-28-12
    Mr. TM 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
      • 64k Posts
      • 8k Reputation
      C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I know it is a ways away, I was wondering if there is anything I could read over the winter to get me educated on what to do, plant, etc.

      ****************************************************************

      There are a lot of books out there. You can go to your local bookstore or Tractor Supply, and buy "Hobby Farm" and "Mother Earth" on gardening...

      Of major importance, is a copy of "Ball's Blue Book". They make the canning jars and lids, and their canning recipes and instructions

      are safe and dependable.

      ****************************************************************

      After canning your veggies, how long do they last?

      ******************************************************************

      It depends on which veggies, I think. But if you canned tomatoes (accurately... they sealed, that is), we have used canned tomatoes

      up to a year and a half. After that, the food texture and taste starts to decline too much.

      But canned tomatoes in the winter, making a big batch of chili? Or, making your own tomato sauce? Your own bruscetta sp? priceless.

      I will send you some good links next post....

      ****************************************************************

      See I am interested in planting some stuff that will also be easy to store and have protein as well as the other stuff. ie, making salsa, maybe sunflower seeds, beans, etc.

      *****************************************************************

      One of the easy things to grow... is dried beans. I haven't found a good way to store green beans. I want to freeze them, but they get soggy, lose taste... I heard I should cold pack them. I have to research that. But dried beans, like navy and pinto beans... store in a dry jar indefinately I think.

      Cranberry beans, which may also be called horticultural beans. are very, very excellent in taste. I have some from last year, and they are

      perfect, stored in zip loc bags. High protein, excellent for lowering cholesteral, excellent food.. Another dried bean is "Jacob's Cattle". With

      tan and dark brown coloring like Herford cattle. I don't care for sunflower seeds, but they are easy to grow, and you'll have to put netting over them...

      to keep the birds away. Like pantyhose works well for that. You could grow your own owns, harvest them by hand, and get a grinder and grind your own

      oatmeal for cookies. @@ I'm going to try that next year.

      ****************************************************************

      What is good to plant and what is easily storable over the winter, for the WHOLE winter. How should I store it?

      ****************************************************************

      Consider planting your favorite dwarf or semi-dwarf apple or pear tree. It'll be a few years before you get fruit, but you will love it.

      Tomatoes can excellently, peppers do, some things, like apples and pears? You can buy yourself a dehydrator and go to town.

      Bags of dried tomatoes, peppers, apple and pear slices easily last 6 - 9 months, if not longer. I've had dried apple slices

      over a year old, and they were excellent.

      Fruit freezes and dries terrific. Plant what you enjoy eating. Some heirloom tomatoes will give you fits all too easily getting blights and other

      diseases. But they are some of the best tasting tomatoes out there. And you can save seed. If you are or know somebody that can't take

      the acid in tomatoes... grow some Golden Girls. They are gold, low acid, high taste.

      The best tasting tomato, imho, is the Early Girl, a hybrid. They grow great, produce great. You will want to learn to trim the suckers off

      tomato plants for bigger, healthier tomatoes. If your soil has too little calcium, you can easily get "tomato blossom end rot".

      You can buy "copper fungacide", which is an organically approved disease water soluable spray.

      I don't spray to kill insects anymore... but I hope to figure out a good organic way to kill tomato hornworms. They are about 2.3 - 3 inches

      long, and they eat a lot of plant. They don't come out at the beginning of the year, but when they do, you will be shocked at seeing them

      in your garden the first time. They are the same color of the stems, and about over 1/4 of an inch around. No kidding.

      ************************************************

      How much land would I need to get up to speed for feeding 2 people for the winter (obviously not everything) but to be able to add this and that to meals, etc.

      ************************************************

      It depends. Just depends on what you want to grow to have... A couple of zuchinni plants will give you a lot of zuchinni... a dozen Early Girl plants

      will give you a lot of great tomatoes to eat all summer....

      That's a hard question. I'll have to think on that.

      ************************************************

      I know you could talk about this for weeks or months, but as an amature I just need a good place to start.

      Any other advice from the people here (maybe T cause he lives in the same climate)?

      *************************************************

      T will be able to give you a ton of great info and help. I know that I planted expensive sets of big candy onions... and they didn't grow.

      Sweet corn didn't grow much last year, because it takes a LOT of nitrogen in the soil.

      BTW, I froze a whole bunch of zip lock quarts of tranparent cooking apples I blanched/cooked up ... and a year later, I love them.

      You should check the PH of your soil for some certain plants that are harder to grow. Like, blueberries need a non acid soil. Or was that

      the opposite. Crap. I forget. I think they need lime........

      We love our gardening, and there is always things to learn. Ask me and T and anyone else about it... we'll be here and be glad to share info !

      1 Reply Last reply
      ❤
      Quote Reply
      • Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President

        Mainly for Cal here.

        I think I told you I am moving back to the OBX. The house I am at has a lot of fenced in land and next spring looking to plant a sizable garden. I know it is a ways away, I was wondering if there is anything I could read over the winter to get me educated on what to do, plant, etc.

        After canning your veggies, how long do they last?

        See I am interested in planting some stuff that will also be easy to store and have protein as well as the other stuff. ie, making salsa, maybe sunflower seeds, beans, etc.

        What is good to plant and what is easily storable over the winter, for the WHOLE winter. How should I store it?

        How much land would I need to get up to speed for feeding 2 people for the winter (obviously not everything) but to be able to add this and that to meals, etc.

        I know you could talk about this for weeks or months, but as an amature I just need a good place to start.

        Any other advice from the people here (maybe T cause he lives in the same climate)?

        Thanks

        Mr. T Mr. TM
        • 7k Posts
        • 184 Reputation
        Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @kosar_for_president said:

        Any other advice from the people here (maybe T cause he lives in the same climate)?

        Thanks

        Start early, we have a longer growing season but it is wise to beat the blistering heat.

        Head or Gut?
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply

        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

        Register Login
        Reply
        • Reply as topic
        Log in to reply
        • Oldest to Newest
        • Newest to Oldest
        • Most Votes


        Theme
        • System
        • Light
        • Dark
        The Browns Board Terms Privacy

        The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

        • First post
          Last post
        0
        • Forums
        • Recent
        • Popular
        • Users
        • Donate