Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Browns Gain Depth As Shaun Rogers Rejoins D-line

Browns Gain Depth As Shaun Rogers Rejoins D-line

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
2 Posts 1 Posters 455 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • SJ_Browns S
    • 1k Posts
    • 12 Reputation
    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #1

    http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/102604489.html

    BEREA: Although he figures he could, Shaun Rogers isn't interested in mixing in with the offense upon his return to the Browns' lineup.

    But he is open to moving around on the defensive line if need be.

    ''I'm an athlete for sure,'' said Rogers, a veteran nose tackle. ''I like to play a lot, but I stay in my zone. I'm a better D-lineman than I am a wide receiver or tight end.''

    Rogers, 6-foot-4, 350 pounds, returned to practice Monday after he missed training camp and four exhibition games recovering from a broken left ankle that required surgery late last season.

    In his first formal interview with reporters in nearly 10 months, Rogers said he's fine with his potential shift on the line.

    ''If that's what they ask me to do, it's still the D-line,'' he said. ''As long as you don't ask me to play wide out, I think we'll be all right.''

    With the emergence of Ahtyba Rubin, Browns coach Eric Mangini sees the ability to mix and match Rogers as needed.

    ''Rubin has earned the right to play, and Rubin will play,'' Mangini said Monday.

    But how much and where won't be known until the Browns' season opener Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Florida.

    ''Whatever they ask out of me,'' Rogers said. ''It's still a process we're going through trying to get the best of me out there. So whatever I'm allowed to do, and whatever they think's best, I'm going to do.''

    Originally drafted in the second round by the Detroit Lions in 2001, Rogers was traded to the Browns in March 2008 for Leigh Bodden and a third-round pick in the draft that year. Last season, Rogers started 11 games at nose tackle and recorded 36 tackles (24 solo) and two sacks before injuring his ankle in late November at Cincinnati.

    ''He's a big man,'' Mangini said. ''You gotta account for him. Since he's at the first level, usually that means blockers stay on him longer. . . . That being said, I think Rubin does a lot of the same things because he's got good size and ties up a lot of blockers as well.''

    In what originally appeared to be a huge loss when Rogers went down, Rubin, just in his second year, stepped up in the last five games of last season. Even Rogers couldn't help but be impressed.

    Rubin's improvement has been ''tremendous,'' Rogers said. ''Rubin is a solid nose tackle and looks like he's going to play this game for a long time. I'm real proud of him. We've worked together and I've tried to give him as much knowledge as I can, and he's using it.''

    But that doesn't mean Rogers is prepared to step aside just yet. He said he's working hard to gradually increase his repetitions in practice in hopes of making the opener.

    ''There's always a learning curve,'' Rogers said. ''Every year is a new year and there's things you've got to learn — defenses, chemistry. I'm happy to be back and working to develop all those things. . . . You don't win games in meetings. You gotta go out and produce and feed off each other.''

    After spending his career toiling with the Lions and Browns — going 40-104 during that stretch — one might think Rogers would prefer to end his career with a winner.

    ''Everybody wants to be on a winner,'' he said. ''But individuals have to do [their] part. So providing the best me, I feel, is always the right way to go. . . . It's always frustrating to lose. But this game builds character in so many forms. All I do is play hard and try to win.''

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • SJ_Browns S
      • 1k Posts
      • 12 Reputation
      S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by SJ_Browns
      #2

      it's going to be hard for the bucs oc to game plan for the browns d-line. they have no idea what shaun playing de instead of nt is going to be like.

      edit: it's great to have shaun back!!

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply

      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

      Register Login
      Reply
      • Reply as topic
      Log in to reply
      • Oldest to Newest
      • Newest to Oldest
      • Most Votes


      Theme
      • System
      • Light
      • Dark
      The Browns Board Terms Privacy

      The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

      • First post
        Last post
      0
      • Forums
      • Recent
      • Popular
      • Users
      • Donate