Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Will Hillis' fumble-itis limit his carries next week?

Will Hillis' fumble-itis limit his carries next week?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
49 Posts 25 Posters 5.6k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Armchair Bronco A
    • 46 Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    A Armchair Bronco wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Peyton Hillis outperformed Matt Stafford on my fantasy team, and he didn't go do with a shoulder injury either (Stafford did).

    So I need to decide if I should start him next week. Trouble is: the guy seems to have trouble holding on to DA ROCK. You guys think this was an abberation or should we start calling him Peyton "Butterfingers" Hillis?

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • BrownIndian BrownIndianB
      • 2k Posts
      • 39 Reputation
      BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
      #2

      It was raining there a bit and Hillis was solid. As long as u dont have Jake you should be safe 😉

      )

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Armchair Bronco A
        • 46 Posts
        • 0 Reputation
        A Armchair Bronco wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Sometimes I think that the guy fumbles early in the season when he's trying too hard. It's like he wants to make a statement to the coach or something, and then he gets careless.

        When he first emerged in Denver, he played with reckless abandon and didn't feel like he had anything to prove. (It helped that Denver didn't have any other options.)

        Then, the following year, he F*&^%$ed up early in the season trying to impress new coach Josh "Stalin" McStalin -- he had some costly fumbles in the red zone and some muffed returns. He was quickly benched for the rest of the season and that was that.

        BrownIndianB 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • A Armchair Bronco

          Sometimes I think that the guy fumbles early in the season when he's trying too hard. It's like he wants to make a statement to the coach or something, and then he gets careless.

          When he first emerged in Denver, he played with reckless abandon and didn't feel like he had anything to prove. (It helped that Denver didn't have any other options.)

          Then, the following year, he F*&^%$ed up early in the season trying to impress new coach Josh "Stalin" McStalin -- he had some costly fumbles in the red zone and some muffed returns. He was quickly benched for the rest of the season and that was that.

          BrownIndian BrownIndianB
          • 2k Posts
          • 39 Reputation
          BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @armchair-bronco said:

          Sometimes I think that the guy fumbles early in the season when he's trying too hard. It's like he wants to make a statement to the coach or something, and then he gets careless.

          When he first emerged in Denver, he played with reckless abandon and didn't feel like he had anything to prove. (It helped that Denver didn't have any other options.)

          Then, the following year, he F*&^%$ed up early in the season trying to impress new coach Josh "Stalin" McStalin -- he had some costly fumbles in the red zone and some muffed returns. He was quickly benched for the rest of the season and that was that.

          Mangini will take care of that.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • DeadWombat D
            • 345 Posts
            • 0 Reputation
            D DeadWombat wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Hillis has never had a history of fumbling to my knowledge... not even in college.

            More than anything the fumbles were unfortunate flukes.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • ATENEARS ATENEARSA Founder In Memoriam
              • 4k Posts
              • 139 Reputation
              ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
              #6

              I thought that I had heard that Hillis rarely ever fumbles. He looked great running downhill, I though the life got sucked out of the offense when we stopped using him, not necessarily when he fumbled. I would rather have him in carrying the majority of the load, fumbles or not.

              1 Reply Last reply
              ❤
              Quote Reply
              • The Hawg T
                • 39 Posts
                • 0 Reputation
                T The Hawg wrote on last edited by The Hawg
                #7

                Check Hillis' numbers. He has fumbled once in the previous two years. I would definitely say that today's fumble was an abberation.

                When you hear/see where a Denver fan talks about Hillis' great rookie year but how badly he messed up in 2009, just consider the source. They are showing their ignorance. For one thing, the HC never gave him a chance to play, so how could he do so much harm? They obviously don't know anything about football.

                When Hillis fumbles, IMO you can just say that you saw history happen.

                A brnfan16B 2 Replies Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 2k Posts
                  • 390 Reputation
                  CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  OR you can give credit to the guy who put his helmet on the ball and forced the fumble.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  ❤
                  Quote Reply
                  • next2nothing next2nothingN Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Dedicated Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 693 Posts
                    • 9 Reputation
                    next2nothingN next2nothing wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    If you look back at the game, Hillis's fumbles were caused by really great hits. Guys putting a hat on the ball. I'm not worrying.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • hx214 hx214H One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 1k Posts
                      • 474 Reputation
                      hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      I like Hillis as much as everybody else in here. I think he is an animal and will do a great job grinding out yards and wearing out D's.

                      BUT I still don't understand what is going on with Harrison. How many times does this guy have to prove that he can run the ball in this league?

                      The guy basically carries the load the last part of the season where we were running all over people and actually winning games. We go into Tampa today, facing a defense that couldn't stop the run last year, (ya they add two new rookies to their DL...so what? Prove you can stop it now) and we hand the ball to Harrison 9 times and the guy rips off 52 yards and doesn't fumble. Hillis gets it 9 times for 41 and fumbles twice and we are all in here talking about how we would rather him carry the load for the team.

                      What's the downside to Harrison carrying the load?

                      Do we think Hillis has the same home run speed harrison does? (Ya I watched Hillis run down old man Ronde today, but I thought Ronde blew a hamsting he was running so slow after the first 30 yards. I actually heard the guy calling he game say "why is he slowing down?")

                      Is it because he is 5' 9" and only 205 pounds that he isn't allowed to be a feature back in this league? If that's the case, I just watched Jones-Drew at 5' 7' 206 get 23 touches today for 98 yards so I don't think that theory holds water.

                      Do the Brown's coaches all suffer from the same vision we do? For the past few years I've had to watch him sit behind Lewis, and when Lewis would go down for a game or two, Harrison would come in and rip off great games, and as soon as Lewis was back, it was right back to the same old 2 yard runs into the back of the OL.... WTF?

                      I'd love nothing more than to see Hillis and Harrison run for 1000 yards a piece this year. I just would like someone to explain to me what the taboo surrounding Harrison is, and why he is the odd man out. (And if it's because he put the ball on the ground in pre-season, and we are putting much faith in what preseason proves...) I know more than a few of you don't like Harrison and everytime he cuts a team up you have some excuse as to why he was able to do it, (Terrible run defense, Our Oline is so great that anybody could have done that) I'd like to know what you guys think he lacks as a runner? Is it the fact that he is a lacking pass blocker, so we can't let him run for 100+ yards a game cause he can't protect our QB long enough to launch our offensive aerial assault that we have?

                      I just hope we don't sit around and let his contract run out next year and watch him get picked up by a team where he turns into a perennial 1000 yard back and keep our fingers crossed that Hardesty can stay health.

                      (On a side note. RUN THE DAMN BALL DABOLL... moron...)

                      Tim Couch Pulls OutT 1 Reply Last reply
                      ❤
                      Quote Reply
                      • USFBrown USFBrownU Conversation Starter Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Dedicated One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 2k Posts
                        • 270 Reputation
                        USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by USFBrown
                        #11

                        100% agree with you, Hx. Harrison is a good back. We were having great yards per carry from two backs! Harrison has nearly 6 per carry and we don't feed it to him? I understand letting Hillis sit after two fumbles. But bring in Davis to switch it up too. We didn't use them effectively and offense play calling is a big culprit in this loss.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • T The Hawg

                          Check Hillis' numbers. He has fumbled once in the previous two years. I would definitely say that today's fumble was an abberation.

                          When you hear/see where a Denver fan talks about Hillis' great rookie year but how badly he messed up in 2009, just consider the source. They are showing their ignorance. For one thing, the HC never gave him a chance to play, so how could he do so much harm? They obviously don't know anything about football.

                          When Hillis fumbles, IMO you can just say that you saw history happen.

                          Armchair Bronco A
                          • 46 Posts
                          • 0 Reputation
                          A Armchair Bronco wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @the-hawg said:

                          Check Hillis' numbers. He has fumbled once in the previous two years. I would definitely say that today's fumble was an abberation.

                          When you hear/see where a Denver fan talks about Hillis' great rookie year but how badly he messed up in 2009, just consider the source. They are showing their ignorance. For one thing, the HC never gave him a chance to play, so how could he do so much harm? They obviously don't know anything about football.

                          When Hillis fumbles, IMO you can just say that you saw history happen.

                          It may have been that Hillis fumbled in the preseason when McStalin first showed up. And I know that Peyton muffed some returns around that time. It was all that McDaniels needed to bench him and go with his hand picked successor - No Show Moreno.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • thesmartkid T
                            • 22 Posts
                            • 0 Reputation
                            T thesmartkid wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            hillis is horrible. jerome is a very good back that sits too much on the f*ckn bench! why is he number one on the depthchart and only getting 9 carries? thats shows how f*cking bad the browns are and their coaching staff. jerome is great hillis suc*s

                            halfsaneH T 2 Replies Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
                              • 28k Posts
                              • 6k Reputation
                              DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              I thought Hillis was a Bull. The fumble I saw was a helmet right into the ball. Harrison had one good run. The key to the loss IMO was the interception when we were driving and could have possibly made it 21-3. That was definitely the turning point of the game. All these people going crazy need to settle down. Lets see how we do against the Chiefs, at home.

                              "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • T thesmartkid

                                hillis is horrible. jerome is a very good back that sits too much on the f*ckn bench! why is he number one on the depthchart and only getting 9 carries? thats shows how f*cking bad the browns are and their coaching staff. jerome is great hillis suc*s

                                halfsane halfsaneH
                                • 696 Posts
                                • 49 Reputation
                                halfsaneH halfsane wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @thesmartkid said:

                                hillis is horrible. jerome is a very good back that sits too much on the f*ckn bench! why is he number one on the depthchart and only getting 9 carries? thats shows how f*cking bad the browns are and their coaching staff. jerome is great hillis suc*s

                                Who the xxxx are you ? Go away.

                                Hillis kicked serious ass in that game until the fumble in the red zone. That contributed to the loss, but we also wouldn't have put up 14 points without him.

                                The loss is on multiple people, not one, now stop head hunting and GTFO.

                                T 1 Reply Last reply
                                ❤
                                Quote Reply
                                • Fitzhume FitzhumeF One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                  • 52 Posts
                                  • 0 Reputation
                                  FitzhumeF Fitzhume wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  Hillis is a back that every team needs. Hard nosed, not afraid to put a hat on someone, and runs with authority. Reminds me of Alstot. Everyone is going to put the ball on the turf one time or another. I'm surprised he did so but it's only one game. As much football as I played in the past, you will fumble the ball from time to time. Some you can't get away from. You could have both hands on it and it still comes loose. I'm not cashing out on him yet because he's an intense player and we need someone like that. Jerome is great too and I can see them sharing the carries all year long. With saying that, then this goes to another item of establishing a consistent Offense.

                                  I don't think the fumbles will limit his carries in the future unless it's a re-occurring event. To show confidence in a player after a bad game only will help them thrive and play harder while building on their current ability.

                                  ---------- It's only a matter of time ---------- Browns Fan for Life
                                  E 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • hx214H hx214

                                    I like Hillis as much as everybody else in here. I think he is an animal and will do a great job grinding out yards and wearing out D's.

                                    BUT I still don't understand what is going on with Harrison. How many times does this guy have to prove that he can run the ball in this league?

                                    The guy basically carries the load the last part of the season where we were running all over people and actually winning games. We go into Tampa today, facing a defense that couldn't stop the run last year, (ya they add two new rookies to their DL...so what? Prove you can stop it now) and we hand the ball to Harrison 9 times and the guy rips off 52 yards and doesn't fumble. Hillis gets it 9 times for 41 and fumbles twice and we are all in here talking about how we would rather him carry the load for the team.

                                    What's the downside to Harrison carrying the load?

                                    Do we think Hillis has the same home run speed harrison does? (Ya I watched Hillis run down old man Ronde today, but I thought Ronde blew a hamsting he was running so slow after the first 30 yards. I actually heard the guy calling he game say "why is he slowing down?")

                                    Is it because he is 5' 9" and only 205 pounds that he isn't allowed to be a feature back in this league? If that's the case, I just watched Jones-Drew at 5' 7' 206 get 23 touches today for 98 yards so I don't think that theory holds water.

                                    Do the Brown's coaches all suffer from the same vision we do? For the past few years I've had to watch him sit behind Lewis, and when Lewis would go down for a game or two, Harrison would come in and rip off great games, and as soon as Lewis was back, it was right back to the same old 2 yard runs into the back of the OL.... WTF?

                                    I'd love nothing more than to see Hillis and Harrison run for 1000 yards a piece this year. I just would like someone to explain to me what the taboo surrounding Harrison is, and why he is the odd man out. (And if it's because he put the ball on the ground in pre-season, and we are putting much faith in what preseason proves...) I know more than a few of you don't like Harrison and everytime he cuts a team up you have some excuse as to why he was able to do it, (Terrible run defense, Our Oline is so great that anybody could have done that) I'd like to know what you guys think he lacks as a runner? Is it the fact that he is a lacking pass blocker, so we can't let him run for 100+ yards a game cause he can't protect our QB long enough to launch our offensive aerial assault that we have?

                                    I just hope we don't sit around and let his contract run out next year and watch him get picked up by a team where he turns into a perennial 1000 yard back and keep our fingers crossed that Hardesty can stay health.

                                    (On a side note. RUN THE DAMN BALL DABOLL... moron...)

                                    Tim Couch Pulls Out Tim Couch Pulls OutT Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 8k Posts
                                    • 1k Reputation
                                    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @hx214 said:

                                    I like Hillis as much as everybody else in here. I think he is an animal and will do a great job grinding out yards and wearing out D's.

                                    BUT I still don't understand what is going on with Harrison. How many times does this guy have to prove that he can run the ball in this league?

                                    The guy basically carries the load the last part of the season where we were running all over people and actually winning games. We go into Tampa today, facing a defense that couldn't stop the run last year, (ya they add two new rookies to their DL...so what? Prove you can stop it now) and we hand the ball to Harrison 9 times and the guy rips off 52 yards and doesn't fumble. Hillis gets it 9 times for 41 and fumbles twice and we are all in here talking about how we would rather him carry the load for the team.

                                    What's the downside to Harrison carrying the load?

                                    Do we think Hillis has the same home run speed harrison does? (Ya I watched Hillis run down old man Ronde today, but I thought Ronde blew a hamsting he was running so slow after the first 30 yards. I actually heard the guy calling he game say "why is he slowing down?")

                                    Is it because he is 5' 9" and only 205 pounds that he isn't allowed to be a feature back in this league? If that's the case, I just watched Jones-Drew at 5' 7' 206 get 23 touches today for 98 yards so I don't think that theory holds water.

                                    Do the Brown's coaches all suffer from the same vision we do? For the past few years I've had to watch him sit behind Lewis, and when Lewis would go down for a game or two, Harrison would come in and rip off great games, and as soon as Lewis was back, it was right back to the same old 2 yard runs into the back of the OL.... WTF?

                                    I'd love nothing more than to see Hillis and Harrison run for 1000 yards a piece this year. I just would like someone to explain to me what the taboo surrounding Harrison is, and why he is the odd man out. (And if it's because he put the ball on the ground in pre-season, and we are putting much faith in what preseason proves...) I know more than a few of you don't like Harrison and everytime he cuts a team up you have some excuse as to why he was able to do it, (Terrible run defense, Our Oline is so great that anybody could have done that) I'd like to know what you guys think he lacks as a runner? Is it the fact that he is a lacking pass blocker, so we can't let him run for 100+ yards a game cause he can't protect our QB long enough to launch our offensive aerial assault that we have?

                                    I just hope we don't sit around and let his contract run out next year and watch him get picked up by a team where he turns into a perennial 1000 yard back and keep our fingers crossed that Hardesty can stay health.

                                    (On a side note. RUN THE DAMN BALL DABOLL... moron...)

                                    They aren't "excuses". They are valid points.

                                    -JC had a great end of the season last year, I agree. I was cheering right along with everyone else. But at the same time, they were against weak defenses who had no outside shot at making the postseason and weren't playing for much. (That shows the caliber of class we showed in those last few games. We could have given up and scrapped the season, but we fought hard until the end.)

                                    -His pass blocking is suspect at best, and with the stable of young, inexperienced receivers we have now, pass blocking becomes a massive issue.

                                    -It's possible that the reason he broke off those big runs when he was backing up J.Lew is because everybody was used to a big, lumbering bear in our backfield. So when JC came in, he surprised them with his speed.

                                    -He's not a prototypical sized runningback, you're right. He's undersized. MJD is an abberation, though.

                                    JC is a great, speedy back. He breaks off huge runs that get people excited. But for every one big run he has, he's got four or five where he just does absolutely nothing. He hits the line and goes absolutely nowhere. That's his lack of size coming into play. It's great to watch those big runs, but it's those hardnosed runs up the middle that really take away from his appeal.

                                    That's why everybody this year was pushing the RBBC. We needed a change of pace back. That's why we drafted Hardesty, and that's why we got Peyton Hillis in the offseason. If we go up against a fast defense that has JC stifled, Hillis can come in and pound the rock up the gut. If we play a defense that allows no holes up the middle, we sweep it to JC and let him work. It's all about gameplanning.

                                    JC is a great back for his size. But he just doesn't have the weight or size to be an everydown back. And in no way is that a knock on him, it's something he can't help.

                                    I'm awesome, and I fuck dolphins. Ghoolie 12/2/2012: I have absolutely no skills, training or pride
                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • halfsane halfsaneH
                                      • 696 Posts
                                      • 49 Reputation
                                      halfsaneH halfsane wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      Why is Jerome Harrison 'JC'?

                                      Tim Couch Pulls OutT 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • halfsaneH halfsane

                                        Why is Jerome Harrison 'JC'?

                                        Tim Couch Pulls Out Tim Couch Pulls OutT Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                        • 8k Posts
                                        • 1k Reputation
                                        Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        @halfsane said:

                                        Why is Jerome Harrison 'JC'?

                                        Couldn't tell you. It's his nickname though, apparently.

                                        I'm awesome, and I fuck dolphins. Ghoolie 12/2/2012: I have absolutely no skills, training or pride
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • halfsaneH halfsane

                                          @thesmartkid said:

                                          hillis is horrible. jerome is a very good back that sits too much on the f*ckn bench! why is he number one on the depthchart and only getting 9 carries? thats shows how f*cking bad the browns are and their coaching staff. jerome is great hillis suc*s

                                          Who the xxxx are you ? Go away.

                                          Hillis kicked serious ass in that game until the fumble in the red zone. That contributed to the loss, but we also wouldn't have put up 14 points without him.

                                          The loss is on multiple people, not one, now stop head hunting and GTFO.

                                          thesmartkid T
                                          • 22 Posts
                                          • 0 Reputation
                                          T thesmartkid wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @halfsane said:

                                          Who the xxxx are you ? Go away.

                                          Hillis kicked serious ass in that game until the fumble in the red zone. That contributed to the loss, but we also wouldn't have put up 14 points without him.

                                          The loss is on multiple people, not one, now stop head hunting and GTFO.

                                          dont worry about who i am, hillis s*cks jerome is a beast,wanna lose keep hoping for water-boy hillis to have a good game, lmfao!

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate