Skip to content

Kevin Kolb

The Browns Board
66 32 7.5k
  • Homotron said:

    The guy almost didn't make the roster and was drafted in the 3rd round. I thought most of you were pretty down on McCoy after his lack luster preseason and then the threats of him being cut before the season began? Kevin Kolb has the skills to be a pretty good QB. I'd say trading for him would be a drastic improvement over what you have including McCoy who I never felt was cut out for the NFL. Kolb sure is accurate and those talking about his concussion like it's a game changer are mental. A lot of QB's have had concussions and I believe that was Kolb's first. The next question is what do you give up for Kolb and what are the Eagles asking? I'd wager the Eagles aren't even entertaining the offer because even though Vick has performed well there is no guarantee it continues. I doubt anything happens.

    I think what we should do is to let the experts make these decisions. Whether McCoy is or is not cut out for the NFL, you have no clue any more than I do. Whether Kolb would be a good solution, you nor I have any clue.

    If Holmgren and Heckert are ready, willing and waiting to acquire Kolb in a trade, then I am fine with that. If they aren't, then I am fine with that as well.

    I do agree with you that I think the Eagles sit on their QB situation for this year notwithstanding the change in QB. It would be foolish of them to weaken themselves by trading Kolb...even if they are convinced that Vick is their savior. They still need a good backup, and Kolb would seem to be as good for them as anyone else.

    @the-gipper said:

    I think what we should do is to let the experts make these decisions. Whether McCoy is or is not cut out for the NFL, you have no clue any more than I do. Whether Kolb would be a good solution, you nor I have any clue.

    If Holmgren and Heckert are ready, willing and waiting to acquire Kolb in a trade, then I am fine with that. If they aren't, then I am fine with that as well.

    I do agree with you that I think the Eagles sit on their QB situation for this year notwithstanding the change in QB. It would be foolish of them to weaken themselves by trading Kolb...even if they are convinced that Vick is their savior. They still need a good backup, and Kolb would seem to be as good for them as anyone else.

    Get the hell out of here. You play Monday morning QB more than anyone. McCoy barely made the roster, is undersized, not all that accurate and drafted in the 3rd round. I'll say one thing, the kid is a winner but that only goes so far in the NFL. It can go a long way in the college game but as I said in the other thread the NFL is a completely different animal. If McCoy were legit they wouldn't even entertain the idea of Kolb. I think you can almost guarantee the Browns draft a QB next draft but once again Kolb isn't going anywhere. You and I obviously agree on that front.

  • @neomogo said:

    Ask Houston how they like Matt Schaub. Kolb looked awfully good last year in his 2 starts. 1st QB in NFL history to throw back to back 400 yard games in their first 2 starts.

    Schaub was a 2nd round pick that saw limited time on the field behind Vick. Houston has a bonafide star at QB. The Browns have nothing. If you're going to give JD $7 million guaranteed I would surely give up a 2nd and 3rd for Kolb assuming it's even a possibility.

    exactly shaub PLAYED his way to a starting position. Kolb was handed it and has now lost it. Vick is the starter this sunday not because Kolb is hurt but because he is the better QB. (wich is a scary thing)

    @jnuh said:

    By "couldn't make it" you do realize he only got a half to basically prove his worth after 2 monster starts last year. And his benching was due to a concussion and a big game by a back up against the Lions ...

    no, by "didn't make it" i'm not talking about the half of football he played this year.......i'm talking about the 3 yrs of preperation he had sitting behind McNabb. you can't tell me anything i don't already know about the eagles and philly football. i just moved away from the area after living there for about 3yrs. Kolb has been andy reid's golden boy from the time he was drafted and reid has done as much as possible to get him on the field.

    coaches get alot more time to evaluate than we do and from what the coaches see on a everyday basis Vick not Kolb gives them the best chance to win.

    to quote a movie line........."he has been weighed, he has been measured, and he has been found wanting".

    @gafreleets said:

    exactly shaub PLAYED his way to a starting position. Kolb was handed it and has now lost it. Vick is the starter this sunday not because Kolb is hurt but because he is the better QB. (wich is a scary thing)

    How did Schaub play his way to being a starter for the Texans? Do you realize in this first 3 years in Atlanta he started exactly 2 games. Hmmm.....pretty much the same number as Kolb

    Schaub's NFL Stats

    Here is Kolb's stats

    Kolb's NFL Stats

    Ultimately, my point is Schaub is very similar in situation to Kolb. I would rather go the Kolb route than to give any drafted QB in 2011 $50 million guaranteed.

  • Rogers and Jackson for Kolb? Why not there never on the field anyway

  • WTH we start talking about asking the eagles about getting kolb and the whole stooler nation comes rolling in?

  • @neomogo said:

    Ask Houston how they like Matt Schaub. Kolb looked awfully good last year in his 2 starts. 1st QB in NFL history to throw back to back 400 yard games in their first 2 starts.

    Schaub was a 2nd round pick that saw limited time on the field behind Vick. Houston has a bonafide star at QB. The Browns have nothing. If you're going to give JD $7 million guaranteed I would surely give up a 2nd and 3rd for Kolb assuming it's even a possibility.

    exactly shaub PLAYED his way to a starting position. Kolb was handed it and has now lost it. Vick is the starter this sunday not because Kolb is hurt but because he is the better QB. (wich is a scary thing)

    @jnuh said:

    By "couldn't make it" you do realize he only got a half to basically prove his worth after 2 monster starts last year. And his benching was due to a concussion and a big game by a back up against the Lions ...

    no, by "didn't make it" i'm not talking about the half of football he played this year.......i'm talking about the 3 yrs of preperation he had sitting behind McNabb. you can't tell me anything i don't already know about the eagles and philly football. i just moved away from the area after living there for about 3yrs. Kolb has been andy reid's golden boy from the time he was drafted and reid has done as much as possible to get him on the field.

    coaches get alot more time to evaluate than we do and from what the coaches see on a everyday basis Vick not Kolb gives them the best chance to win.

    to quote a movie line........."he has been weighed, he has been measured, and he has been found wanting".

    @gafreleets said:

    exactly shaub PLAYED his way to a starting position. Kolb was handed it and has now lost it. Vick is the starter this sunday not because Kolb is hurt but because he is the better QB. (wich is a scary thing)

    no, by "didn't make it" i'm not talking about the half of football he played this year.......i'm talking about the 3 yrs of preperation he had sitting behind McNabb. you can't tell me anything i don't already know about the eagles and philly football. i just moved away from the area after living there for about 3yrs. Kolb has been andy reid's golden boy from the time he was drafted and reid has done as much as possible to get him on the field.

    coaches get alot more time to evaluate than we do and from what the coaches see on a everyday basis Vick not Kolb gives them the best chance to win.

    to quote a movie line........."he has been weighed, he has been measured, and he has been found wanting".

    With that being said do the eagles trade a potential future HOF QB if Kolb is a ham and egger? over the past 12 years the eagles have been run very well ... making the playoffs a bunch of times and making 5 championship games. Kolb has had to shown them something to make that move. And Kolb is an upgrade over Seneca (who is a very good BACK UP) and the interception machine, And Colt. I would give them Colt, Shuan Rogers, Dqwell and a couple mid to late round picks in a heart beat to roll the dice on getting a potential franchise QB. The problem with that is they are very well run like I said and probably would laugh at us for that deal

    And whoever is saying they don't want project QBs .... thats all we are going to get. The only QB's who aren't projects are franchise QB's (Brady, Brees, Manning brothers, Big Ben, Schuab, Rivers, McNabb, Romo, ETC ... ) and no one is trading those guys. After that everyone could be considered a project or a band aid. You have to draft some (which is a project and a potentiall huge financial risk if an early pick) or find a back up and make them a starter (project) or sign a vet at the end of his career as a band aid (Delhomo)

    I rather role the dice on a young guy with potential like Kolb. A guy who has not had good games on a pro level he has had GREAT games, and more good/great games then bad games. This is a QB league ... not a rightside of the O-line/WR league ... those things are extremely important ... but QB is By far the most important.

  • @gafreleets said:

    exactly shaub PLAYED his way to a starting position. Kolb was handed it and has now lost it. Vick is the starter this sunday not because Kolb is hurt but because he is the better QB. (wich is a scary thing)

    no, by "didn't make it" i'm not talking about the half of football he played this year.......i'm talking about the 3 yrs of preperation he had sitting behind McNabb. you can't tell me anything i don't already know about the eagles and philly football. i just moved away from the area after living there for about 3yrs. Kolb has been andy reid's golden boy from the time he was drafted and reid has done as much as possible to get him on the field.

    coaches get alot more time to evaluate than we do and from what the coaches see on a everyday basis Vick not Kolb gives them the best chance to win.

    to quote a movie line........."he has been weighed, he has been measured, and he has been found wanting".

    With that being said do the eagles trade a potential future HOF QB if Kolb is a ham and egger? over the past 12 years the eagles have been run very well ... making the playoffs a bunch of times and making 5 championship games. Kolb has had to shown them something to make that move. And Kolb is an upgrade over Seneca (who is a very good BACK UP) and the interception machine, And Colt. I would give them Colt, Shuan Rogers, Dqwell and a couple mid to late round picks in a heart beat to roll the dice on getting a potential franchise QB. The problem with that is they are very well run like I said and probably would laugh at us for that deal

    And whoever is saying they don't want project QBs .... thats all we are going to get. The only QB's who aren't projects are franchise QB's (Brady, Brees, Manning brothers, Big Ben, Schuab, Rivers, McNabb, Romo, ETC ... ) and no one is trading those guys. After that everyone could be considered a project or a band aid. You have to draft some (which is a project and a potentiall huge financial risk if an early pick) or find a back up and make them a starter (project) or sign a vet at the end of his career as a band aid (Delhomo)

    I rather role the dice on a young guy with potential like Kolb. A guy who has not had good games on a pro level he has had GREAT games, and more good/great games then bad games. This is a QB league ... not a rightside of the O-line/WR league ... those things are extremely important ... but QB is By far the most important.

    @jnuh said:

    With that being said do the eagles trade a potential future HOF QB if Kolb is a ham and egger? over the past 12 years the eagles have been run very well ... making the playoffs a bunch of times and making 5 championship games. Kolb has had to shown them something to make that move. And Kolb is an upgrade over Seneca (who is a very good BACK UP) and the interception machine, And Colt. I would give them Colt, Shuan Rogers, Dqwell and a couple mid to late round picks in a heart beat to roll the dice on getting a potential franchise QB. The problem with that is they are very well run like I said and probably would laugh at us for that deal

    And whoever is saying they don't want project QBs .... thats all we are going to get. The only QB's who aren't projects are franchise QB's (Brady, Brees, Manning brothers, Big Ben, Schuab, Rivers, McNabb, Romo, ETC ... ) and no one is trading those guys. After that everyone could be considered a project or a band aid. You have to draft some (which is a project and a potentiall huge financial risk if an early pick) or find a back up and make them a starter (project) or sign a vet at the end of his career as a band aid (Delhomo)

    I rather role the dice on a young guy with potential like Kolb. A guy who has not had good games on a pro level he has had GREAT games, and more good/great games then bad games. This is a QB league ... not a rightside of the O-line/WR league ... those things are extremely important ... but QB is By far the most important.

    You contradict yourself. You say we need a franchise QB, and we can't afford taking a back up QB and make them a starter. Then you say we need Kolb. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he a back up QB, and outside of his two or so starts...hasn't he always been one?

  • @brownindian said:

    A more important question, With the 2011 said to be QB rich should the Browns use their first round pick to draft a Quarterback ?

    I am of the belief that they should still go for a monster defensive player DL or a maniac OLB to get to the passer.

    Though all positions are a crap shoot and the Browns have blown it with high DL picks before (C. Brown, Wimbley, Warren), I still think it is a priority.

    In reality, if say Colt McCoy were coming out this year wouldn't he be rated equal to or better than just about any QB who would be coming out in next year's draft?

    @the-gipper said:

    I am of the belief that they should still go for a monster defensive player DL or a maniac OLB to get to the passer.

    Though all positions are a crap shoot and the Browns have blown it with high DL picks before (C. Brown, Wimbley, Warren), I still think it is a priority.

    In reality, if say Colt McCoy were coming out this year wouldn't he be rated equal to or better than just about any QB who would be coming out in next year's draft?

    I don't think so....Mallett and Luck are way better.

    Mallett is the guy i would go after.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am of the belief that they should still go for a monster defensive player DL or a maniac OLB to get to the passer.

    Though all positions are a crap shoot and the Browns have blown it with high DL picks before (C. Brown, Wimbley, Warren), I still think it is a priority.

    In reality, if say Colt McCoy were coming out this year wouldn't he be rated equal to or better than just about any QB who would be coming out in next year's draft?

    I don't think so....Mallett and Luck are way better.

    Mallett is the guy i would go after.

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't think so....Mallett and Luck are way better.

    Mallett is the guy i would go after.

    I'd go with Luck, because that's clearly what this organization needs.

  • it's a big test for mallet this saturday against the tide......let's see how he does. from what i've seen of the guys who'll be a part of this qb rich draft next year he looks to be the best (so far).

    and to the point of the thread: why would we give up picks for a team that needs so much other than a qb? did you think we were going to the playoffs this year? what is kolb going to protect himself from the pass rush, is he going to fly down the field and catch the ball from himself?

    this is a work in progress and things take time as someone said above let the people who get paid to make these decisions make them and let's see if these guys that we have right now can show us anything at all.

  • A more important question, With the 2011 said to be QB rich should the Browns use their first round pick to draft a Quarterback ?

    @brownindian said:

    A more important question, With the 2011 said to be QB rich should the Browns use their first round pick to draft a Quarterback ?

    Andrew Luck Stanford

  • @jnuh said:

    With that being said do the eagles trade a potential future HOF QB if Kolb is a ham and egger? over the past 12 years the eagles have been run very well ... making the playoffs a bunch of times and making 5 championship games. Kolb has had to shown them something to make that move. And Kolb is an upgrade over Seneca (who is a very good BACK UP) and the interception machine, And Colt. I would give them Colt, Shuan Rogers, Dqwell and a couple mid to late round picks in a heart beat to roll the dice on getting a potential franchise QB. The problem with that is they are very well run like I said and probably would laugh at us for that deal

    And whoever is saying they don't want project QBs .... thats all we are going to get. The only QB's who aren't projects are franchise QB's (Brady, Brees, Manning brothers, Big Ben, Schuab, Rivers, McNabb, Romo, ETC ... ) and no one is trading those guys. After that everyone could be considered a project or a band aid. You have to draft some (which is a project and a potentiall huge financial risk if an early pick) or find a back up and make them a starter (project) or sign a vet at the end of his career as a band aid (Delhomo)

    I rather role the dice on a young guy with potential like Kolb. A guy who has not had good games on a pro level he has had GREAT games, and more good/great games then bad games. This is a QB league ... not a rightside of the O-line/WR league ... those things are extremely important ... but QB is By far the most important.

    You contradict yourself. You say we need a franchise QB, and we can't afford taking a back up QB and make them a starter. Then you say we need Kolb. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he a back up QB, and outside of his two or so starts...hasn't he always been one?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    You contradict yourself. You say we need a franchise QB, and we can't afford taking a back up QB and make them a starter. Then you say we need Kolb. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he a back up QB, and outside of his two or so starts...hasn't he always been one?

    Where exactly did I say we can't affod to make a back up a starter? I think you are misinterputing something.

    I think the Schaub to Klb comparison is a fine one, and would love to see us give this kid a shot. I do not see it happening though.

  • I'd go with Stanzi cause the third times a charm....Ohio QB's....Frye, Quinn, next up Stanzi. I think im the only person in the world that thinks he's gonna be a great Pro, that bodes well for me 😆

  • I think our qbs would look alot better if the receivers could get open. Momass and robo have a combined 5 catches

  • We already have a bunch os slackers at QB, why would we want another one?

    Put Cribbs in and run the option.

  • The only way kolb is any good to the browns is if jon gruden (who loves kolb) comes in as the HC otherwise it would just a waste of draft pick and time under the current lower management and an abysmal frustrating experience for kolb which he would quickly regret and it would reflect pretty poorly on the new regime to rape yet another promising young QB in cleveland without providing the weapons or tactical gameplanning needed to win.....we need to be addressing our incapable OC before doing anything imo..

    We need to be thinking draft first round WR...

  • I completely agree that Andrew Luck is probaly the best even though i did watch that Georgia Arkansas game and think Mallet had a pretty nice game,and Locker he has all the physical running ability that i really think seperates him from the rest in that asapect....If we do get Kolb for some reason then next years pick has got to be A.J. Green for Georgia hes a beast

  • I was pretty impressed with Threet last weekend.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think what we should do is to let the experts make these decisions. Whether McCoy is or is not cut out for the NFL, you have no clue any more than I do. Whether Kolb would be a good solution, you nor I have any clue.

    If Holmgren and Heckert are ready, willing and waiting to acquire Kolb in a trade, then I am fine with that. If they aren't, then I am fine with that as well.

    I do agree with you that I think the Eagles sit on their QB situation for this year notwithstanding the change in QB. It would be foolish of them to weaken themselves by trading Kolb...even if they are convinced that Vick is their savior. They still need a good backup, and Kolb would seem to be as good for them as anyone else.

    Get the hell out of here. You play Monday morning QB more than anyone. McCoy barely made the roster, is undersized, not all that accurate and drafted in the 3rd round. I'll say one thing, the kid is a winner but that only goes so far in the NFL. It can go a long way in the college game but as I said in the other thread the NFL is a completely different animal. If McCoy were legit they wouldn't even entertain the idea of Kolb. I think you can almost guarantee the Browns draft a QB next draft but once again Kolb isn't going anywhere. You and I obviously agree on that front.

    Homotron said:

    Get the hell out of here. You play Monday morning QB more than anyone. McCoy barely made the roster, is undersized, not all that accurate and drafted in the 3rd round. I'll say one thing, the kid is a winner but that only goes so far in the NFL. It can go a long way in the college game but as I said in the other thread the NFL is a completely different animal. If McCoy were legit they wouldn't even entertain the idea of Kolb. I think you can almost guarantee the Browns draft a QB next draft but once again Kolb isn't going anywhere. You and I obviously agree on that front.

    I think you will find that I am actually pretty much hands off when it comes to evaluating the Browns personnell.

    Why?

    Because I admit that it is not my area of expertise.

    I may comment on something good or bad one of the players do every once in a while, just because their performance is out there for people to see, and I will say generally that I wish we had guys here that would perform better, But, no, you are wrong. Look at all those Quarterback threads that are on this board (even going back to all the DA/BQ mess). I am rarely a particpant. Because, like I said, I leave it to the guys in charge to worry about that.

    Is McCoy going to be any good? Who knows. (You also rely too much on rumor and innuendo. McCoy was probably always a lock to make this roster) Would Kolb be better? I don't know. If they do acquire him, I certainly hope so.

  • @brownindian said:

    A more important question, With the 2011 said to be QB rich should the Browns use their first round pick to draft a Quarterback ?

    Andrew Luck Stanford

    @7moses7 said:

    Andrew Luck Stanford

    Wasn't his daddy Oliver Luck who is from Cleveland and played for the Oilers?

  • I found this read very interesting.

    http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2009/11/q...-russell-quinn/

    maybe we should avoid all 2007 QB's ? 😕

    PS: If Kolb is a failure will they call him Corn-on-the-Kolb ? 😁