Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Barber Shop Talk
  3. Hot Sauce..what do you keep

Hot Sauce..what do you keep

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Barber Shop Talk
6 Posts 5 Posters 950 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 9k Posts
    • 2k Reputation
    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #1

    Ok, everyone uses a drop of hot sauce every now and then, so what do you use and how do you use it??

    I have narrowed mine pretty much to 6 different sauces which i use in various ways.

    Texas Pete vinegar. You can't eat spinach, collard or mustard greens without some Texas Pete...and I eat a lot of cooked greens. And those peppers last a long time. When about out, just pop the top and add more white vinegar and wait a day or so to use again....you can do that 4-5 times.

    Tabasco...who doesn't have a bottle?? Great on eggs or hash brown potatoes...the multi purpose hot sauce.

    Skyline hot sauce. A notch up the heat scale from Tabasco....a nice finishing touch with Chili ....I guess that's why they serve it. I always stop for lunch in northern Ky. after my Browns games and pick up a bottle or two a year.

    Cholula...the hot sauce of Mexico....you know, has the wooden cap...a real chili flavor without a great deal of heat. Great when you make the Taco Bell run and they short you packs of taco sauce, and very excellent in Bloody Mary's. A lot less vinegar than the others.

    Sriracha...you have seen it in every oriental restaurant you have ever eaten....a hot chili taste, you don't need much. I find it the secret ingredient in sauces and soups....but use it a small amount at a time. It's thick and full of pepper. A bottle lasts a long time and it doesn't take much to make a dish out of balance. The secret to hot sauce isn't to make things hot....it's to make a dish better....anybody can make something hot. There is no art in that.

    Kahn's Island Sauce....I love this stuff. If I want to add a Jerk flavor to my food, this is the stuff...it's as hot as it gets, but temper it with some fruit flavors and it works. Some apricot jam with some of this for a pork loin and you have a winner. It also works in a Bloody Mary for those who like a heavy horseradish but want a exotic flavor....maybe garnish with a pickled okra and Feta stuffed olives as it is low on the vinegar and high on the jerk flavor.

    I make a good peach salsa with this stuff.

    If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
    DieHardBrownsFanD 1 Reply Last reply
    ❤
    Quote Reply
    • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
      • 64k Posts
      • 8k Reputation
      C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I'm not big on hot, but I use Texas Pete hot sauce on burritoes I make, and in

      a pot of dried beans. If I ever get around to making meatloaf, I'll use a few drops in that.

      Haven't tried any in omelets. May try it in the morning since you mention it. Unless my arm is aching (boo hoo) a bit too much...

      the physical therapy is getting tougher and tougher. Probably because I don't ice it much after I do the exercizes at home. @@

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Kosar_For_President Kosar_For_PresidentK
        • 6k Posts
        • 221 Reputation
        Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I use the green Tabasco, not really hot, but love the flavor. That on pork tacos from Chipolte, the best.

        Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB - Ghoolie, 2-28-12
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • ballpeenB ballpeen

          Ok, everyone uses a drop of hot sauce every now and then, so what do you use and how do you use it??

          I have narrowed mine pretty much to 6 different sauces which i use in various ways.

          Texas Pete vinegar. You can't eat spinach, collard or mustard greens without some Texas Pete...and I eat a lot of cooked greens. And those peppers last a long time. When about out, just pop the top and add more white vinegar and wait a day or so to use again....you can do that 4-5 times.

          Tabasco...who doesn't have a bottle?? Great on eggs or hash brown potatoes...the multi purpose hot sauce.

          Skyline hot sauce. A notch up the heat scale from Tabasco....a nice finishing touch with Chili ....I guess that's why they serve it. I always stop for lunch in northern Ky. after my Browns games and pick up a bottle or two a year.

          Cholula...the hot sauce of Mexico....you know, has the wooden cap...a real chili flavor without a great deal of heat. Great when you make the Taco Bell run and they short you packs of taco sauce, and very excellent in Bloody Mary's. A lot less vinegar than the others.

          Sriracha...you have seen it in every oriental restaurant you have ever eaten....a hot chili taste, you don't need much. I find it the secret ingredient in sauces and soups....but use it a small amount at a time. It's thick and full of pepper. A bottle lasts a long time and it doesn't take much to make a dish out of balance. The secret to hot sauce isn't to make things hot....it's to make a dish better....anybody can make something hot. There is no art in that.

          Kahn's Island Sauce....I love this stuff. If I want to add a Jerk flavor to my food, this is the stuff...it's as hot as it gets, but temper it with some fruit flavors and it works. Some apricot jam with some of this for a pork loin and you have a winner. It also works in a Bloody Mary for those who like a heavy horseradish but want a exotic flavor....maybe garnish with a pickled okra and Feta stuffed olives as it is low on the vinegar and high on the jerk flavor.

          I make a good peach salsa with this stuff.

          DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
          • 28k Posts
          • 6k Reputation
          DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @ballpeen said:

          Ok, everyone uses a drop of hot sauce every now and then, so what do you use and how do you use it??

          I have narrowed mine pretty much to 6 different sauces which i use in various ways.

          Texas Pete vinegar. You can't eat spinach, collard or mustard greens without some Texas Pete...and I eat a lot of cooked greens. And those peppers last a long time. When about out, just pop the top and add more white vinegar and wait a day or so to use again....you can do that 4-5 times.

          Tabasco...who doesn't have a bottle?? Great on eggs or hash brown potatoes...the multi purpose hot sauce.

          Skyline hot sauce. A notch up the heat scale from Tabasco....a nice finishing touch with Chili ....I guess that's why they serve it. I always stop for lunch in northern Ky. after my Browns games and pick up a bottle or two a year.

          Cholula...the hot sauce of Mexico....you know, has the wooden cap...a real chili flavor without a great deal of heat. Great when you make the Taco Bell run and they short you packs of taco sauce, and very excellent in Bloody Mary's. A lot less vinegar than the others.

          Sriracha...you have seen it in every oriental restaurant you have ever eaten....a hot chili taste, you don't need much. I find it the secret ingredient in sauces and soups....but use it a small amount at a time. It's thick and full of pepper. A bottle lasts a long time and it doesn't take much to make a dish out of balance. The secret to hot sauce isn't to make things hot....it's to make a dish better....anybody can make something hot. There is no art in that.

          Kahn's Island Sauce....I love this stuff. If I want to add a Jerk flavor to my food, this is the stuff...it's as hot as it gets, but temper it with some fruit flavors and it works. Some apricot jam with some of this for a pork loin and you have a winner. It also works in a Bloody Mary for those who like a heavy horseradish but want a exotic flavor....maybe garnish with a pickled okra and Feta stuffed olives as it is low on the vinegar and high on the jerk flavor.

          I make a good peach salsa with this stuff.

          Used Tabasco on the C-rations way back in the day. Don't really care for it anymore. Get Acid Reflux sometimes and hot sauce doesn't help. I do like Pace salsa on just about anything though.

          "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
          ballpeenB 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Mr. T Mr. TM
            • 7k Posts
            • 184 Reputation
            Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
            #5

            You can go to any Walmart or Sams club and pick up a jar (gallon size) of jalapenos for about 3 bucks, also add some cayenne powder. And that will spice up any salsa mix.

            I also like to get cayenne peppers and slice them up real thin and cook them in a little lime juice and add to it.

            If you do it right it will take the paint off of any car.

            Head or Gut?
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan

              @ballpeen said:

              Ok, everyone uses a drop of hot sauce every now and then, so what do you use and how do you use it??

              I have narrowed mine pretty much to 6 different sauces which i use in various ways.

              Texas Pete vinegar. You can't eat spinach, collard or mustard greens without some Texas Pete...and I eat a lot of cooked greens. And those peppers last a long time. When about out, just pop the top and add more white vinegar and wait a day or so to use again....you can do that 4-5 times.

              Tabasco...who doesn't have a bottle?? Great on eggs or hash brown potatoes...the multi purpose hot sauce.

              Skyline hot sauce. A notch up the heat scale from Tabasco....a nice finishing touch with Chili ....I guess that's why they serve it. I always stop for lunch in northern Ky. after my Browns games and pick up a bottle or two a year.

              Cholula...the hot sauce of Mexico....you know, has the wooden cap...a real chili flavor without a great deal of heat. Great when you make the Taco Bell run and they short you packs of taco sauce, and very excellent in Bloody Mary's. A lot less vinegar than the others.

              Sriracha...you have seen it in every oriental restaurant you have ever eaten....a hot chili taste, you don't need much. I find it the secret ingredient in sauces and soups....but use it a small amount at a time. It's thick and full of pepper. A bottle lasts a long time and it doesn't take much to make a dish out of balance. The secret to hot sauce isn't to make things hot....it's to make a dish better....anybody can make something hot. There is no art in that.

              Kahn's Island Sauce....I love this stuff. If I want to add a Jerk flavor to my food, this is the stuff...it's as hot as it gets, but temper it with some fruit flavors and it works. Some apricot jam with some of this for a pork loin and you have a winner. It also works in a Bloody Mary for those who like a heavy horseradish but want a exotic flavor....maybe garnish with a pickled okra and Feta stuffed olives as it is low on the vinegar and high on the jerk flavor.

              I make a good peach salsa with this stuff.

              Used Tabasco on the C-rations way back in the day. Don't really care for it anymore. Get Acid Reflux sometimes and hot sauce doesn't help. I do like Pace salsa on just about anything though.

              ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 9k Posts
              • 2k Reputation
              ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @diehardbrownsfan said:

              Used Tabasco on the C-rations way back in the day. Don't really care for it anymore. Get Acid Reflux sometimes and hot sauce doesn't help. I do like Pace salsa on just about anything though.

              It was the only way to make the beans with white weenies close to edible. I don't think there was much meat in the weenies.....mostly globs of lard....pack the most calories in to a small tin.

              Add enough hot sauce and you can make a dog turd taste like hot sauce.

              If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
              1 Reply Last reply
              ❤
              Quote Reply

              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

              Register Login
              Reply
              • Reply as topic
              Log in to reply
              • Oldest to Newest
              • Newest to Oldest
              • Most Votes


              Theme
              • System
              • Light
              • Dark
              The Browns Board Terms Privacy

              The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

              • First post
                Last post
              0
              • Forums
              • Recent
              • Popular
              • Users
              • Donate