Colt McCoy vs the #1 defense in the league?
-
If Colt's gonna get playing time this season, its got to be a home game,maybe Pats / Jets or ideally Panthers
Im a Browns fan from UK , went to my first EVER browns game this year Vs KC ( we lost )

Ive been a brown since 1986 ( first time live NFL was shown on british TV). what im getting at is.....
will the Browns ever get back to the days of Bernie, The Oz , Webster , Clay Matthews etc...
Boy I hope so!!!
-
Start Josh Cribbs, seriously. I'm convinced he would do better than McCoy based McCoy's logic of last second play calls, not to mention his preseason performance was atrocious. Why wouldn't the Browns start Cribbs over McCoy? We're not competing this year, don't be afraid to do something "unorthodox".
I'm beginning to think that perhaps Colt is just one of those surrounded by great talent guys, that the majority of QBs would have been successful with the great teams he was on. Or maybe I'm wrong and he's just too nervous when he plays to succeed so far, I hope I am.
Start Josh Cribbs, seriously. I'm convinced he would do better than McCoy based McCoy's logic of last second play calls, not to mention his preseason performance was atrocious. Why wouldn't the Browns start Cribbs over McCoy? We're not competing this year, don't be afraid to do something "unorthodox".
I'm beginning to think that perhaps Colt is just one of those surrounded by great talent guys, that the majority of QBs would have been successful with the great teams he was on. Or maybe I'm wrong and he's just too nervous when he plays to succeed so far, I hope I am.
I'm not going to say he's going to be great, but we can't judge much by pre season. Delhomme did great in pre season.
-
Formerly Stone said:
It's actually the perfect scenario for the Browns. Other than the "any given Sunday" thing the Browns have no chance in the game anyway, even if Wallace and DelHomme were healthy. So let the kid start, if he plays well, he could provide a spark to a lifeless team.I know you're just trolling but I'll bite on the bait anyways. With a healthy Wallace and Hillis the Browns absolutely have a chance to win on Sunday.. now of course that isn't the case so I'm predicting a slaughter, especially if McCoy is in there.
-
Formerly Stone said:
Not trolling, and disagree completely. Wallace, DelHomme, McCoy really makes no difference because they are all poor QB's. One is a career back up, one is washed up, and one is a complete unknown. So my point was that at least with the unknown you have a chance to create a spark because he is the alleged future.Seneca Wallace 2010 stats
88.5 QB rating
63% comp. rate
4 TDs
2 Ints
He had a QB rating of 124 before he was hurt in the Atlanta game. I understand the man is a career backup, but those are some pretty solid numbers. It's nothing that will blow your mind, but look at it with no prejudice. Seneca Wallace is actually a pretty good QB (also keep in mind that Cleveland has no receivers)
Also, I understand the alleged future may provide a spark, but I'm not sold on Colt. I think he is another Brady Quinn. I hope to God I'm wrong, but I predict a slaughter Sunday..
-
Start Josh Cribbs, seriously. I'm convinced he would do better than McCoy based McCoy's logic of last second play calls, not to mention his preseason performance was atrocious. Why wouldn't the Browns start Cribbs over McCoy? We're not competing this year, don't be afraid to do something "unorthodox".
I'm beginning to think that perhaps Colt is just one of those surrounded by great talent guys, that the majority of QBs would have been successful with the great teams he was on. Or maybe I'm wrong and he's just too nervous when he plays to succeed so far, I hope I am.
Start Josh Cribbs, seriously. I'm convinced he would do better than McCoy based McCoy's logic of last second play calls, not to mention his preseason performance was atrocious. Why wouldn't the Browns start Cribbs over McCoy? We're not competing this year, don't be afraid to do something "unorthodox".
I'm beginning to think that perhaps Colt is just one of those surrounded by great talent guys, that the majority of QBs would have been successful with the great teams he was on. Or maybe I'm wrong and he's just too nervous when he plays to succeed so far, I hope I am.
Colt McCoy did not have a single guy around him that was drafted in the first two rounds while he was at Texas. He was the offense. His best playmakers during his career were Quan Cosby, Jordan Shipley, and Jamaal Charles. Everyone knew he was good -- it was his arm strength and to a lesser extent size that made him a big question mark. He's a much bigger guy than Wallace, but Wallace has better accuracy and zip on the 40yd+ throws. Colt hardly received any snaps during preseason camp, and when he finally did, he threw 13 for 13 the subsequent game he started. He's shown that if he gets some reps, he's going to be at least decent.
I'm not saying this guy is going to tear up the NFL, and an abysmal performance Sunday certainly wouldn't be hugely surprising, but Texas is a big time school with the ability to recruit solid quarterbacks. They don't need a game manager and Colt, aside from his freshman year, never was one. Josh Cribbs, on the other hand, hasn't played quarterback in years. He wasn't an amazing passer in college, as I understand it. He hasn't been taking snaps as a quarterback. He hasn't been coached to lead the offense. The idea that you can suddenly plug him in and somehow magic will happen is pretty idealistic, in my opinion.
Colt is a better quarterback than his haters give him credit for, but he obviously possesses weaknesses that were apparent to NFL scouts.
-
Start Josh Cribbs, seriously. I'm convinced he would do better than McCoy based McCoy's logic of last second play calls, not to mention his preseason performance was atrocious. Why wouldn't the Browns start Cribbs over McCoy? We're not competing this year, don't be afraid to do something "unorthodox".
I'm beginning to think that perhaps Colt is just one of those surrounded by great talent guys, that the majority of QBs would have been successful with the great teams he was on. Or maybe I'm wrong and he's just too nervous when he plays to succeed so far, I hope I am.
Start Josh Cribbs, seriously. I'm convinced he would do better than McCoy based McCoy's logic of last second play calls, not to mention his preseason performance was atrocious. Why wouldn't the Browns start Cribbs over McCoy? We're not competing this year, don't be afraid to do something "unorthodox".
I'm beginning to think that perhaps Colt is just one of those surrounded by great talent guys, that the majority of QBs would have been successful with the great teams he was on. Or maybe I'm wrong and he's just too nervous when he plays to succeed so far, I hope I am.
Pittsburgh is scared to death of Josh Cribbs too.
Just last year in the two combined games, Cribbs rushed for 132 yrds on 14 carries (9.4yrd average).
Cribbs returned 5 kicks for 175 yrads and a TD ( 35yrd avg.)
Cribbs fielded 3 Punts for 87 yrds (29yrd avg.)
It's as if they never seen a real black man before (remember Kordell was a transvestite).
-
The chances of Colt beating the Steelers on Sunday are so poor it's almost not even worth mentioning. That being said, he has 10 other guys around him on offense who are collecting NFL paychecks who now need to have a gut check and help the kid out.
This blog piece isn't saying he WILL win but here's reasons why he COULD be successful
10 reasons why McCoy can succeed
by Marla Ridenour on October 12, 2010 - 11:15 am
With both Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace reportedly suffering from high ankle sprains, it appears Browns rookie quarterback Colt McCoy will make his first NFL start Sunday at Pittsburgh.
As daunting as that sounds, a friend from Hartford, CT made a strong case via email why McCoy can succeed. It must be pointed out that the friend is a graduate of the University of Texas, where McCoy went 45-8 as a four-year starter to become the winningest quarterback in NCAA history.
Here are his 10 reasons to believe in McCoy. My comments/additions are in parentheses:
1. A healthy McCoy isn’t any less of an athlete than Seneca Wallace. He can use his feet to buy time. (At Texas, McCoy rushed 447 times for 1,571 yards and 20 TDs.)
2. If he can put the ball where he wants to, his accuracy will help move the chains. (McCoy’s career completion percentage of 70.33 ranks second in NCAA history between the 70.39 of Hawaii’s Colt Brennan.)
3. There is less of a book on him than the others.
4. If you run a good amount of WildDawg, Colt will have fewer opportunities to get hit. (In the Browns’ 13-6 home victory over the Steelers on Dec. 10, 2009, Joshua Cribbs rushed eight times for 87 yards.)
5. If the defense plays as well as it did the last time they played, Colt won’t have to do much. (In that 2009 Browns victory, the Steelers managed 218 net yards, netted 77 yards on the ground and converted 3 of 14 on third down.)
6. He’s been underestimated every step of the way and he will rise to the occasion. (Despite his college honors, McCoy slipped to the third round of the draft, going 85th overall.)
7. He’s a coach’s kid and he’s smart. (McCoy’s father, Brad, was his coach at Jim Ned High School in Tuscola, Texas, where McCoy went 34-2 as a starter.)
8. He knows how to win games when he isn’t effective.
9. He’s mentally tough. He’s faced the best defensive players in college who form the basis of the NFL and he’s succeeded.
10. After performing in the intensity of games against the likes of Oklahoma, Nebraska and Ohio State, do you really think he’s going to be fazed by 60,000 western Pennsylvanians waving yellow towels?
Reference:
http://marla.ohio.com/2010/10/10-reasons-w...oy-can-succeed/
-
I would like to see Colt have a "good" game. I have a feeling the 1st quarter will find him staring at the sky, looking at all the pretty clouds. I do think though, that as the game goes along, he'll settle down and make a respectable impression. I'm not that sure Colt is a good fit for the Brown's. He probably will have some nice trade value for a move up to the first round for a QB. <crosses fingers>
-
Give the Kid a chance you will be suprised what can Happen on any Given Sunday Go cOLT AND THE Browns.
-
Kudos to those fans who dnt have there tail between there legs..
We will win, any browns fans who don't think so go watch some gay porn...
Steelers fans ur in for a real shock. If the browns lose, whch they won't I promise to stop nailing ur mothers, sisters and daughters
-
Just maybe this is how things will go for Colt!
Draft and Rookie Year for Tom Brady
In 2000, the New England Patriots drafted Brady in the sixth round (199 overall) of the 2000 NFL Draft. Brady who had been expecting to be drafted in the third or forth was tremendously disappointed with being drafted so late in the draft. However, as disappointed as Brady was at getting drafted in the sixth round - he may have been luckily to have been drafted at all. One scout wrote about Brady prior to the draft in a scouting report that Tom had "Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a really strong arm." When Brady arrived at the Foxboro, Massachusetts in the summer of 2000, the Patriots at the time already had three quarterbacks on the roster so Brady didn't have a guarantee of even making the team, but he ended up played well in preseason and training camp and won the third quarterback roster spot. He only appeared in one game as a rookie and completed one pass.
2001 Season
In his second season with the Pats (2001), Brady moved up on the depth chart from third quarterback behind Damon Hurd to the second quarterback spot and became the direct backup to then starting QB Drew Bledsoe. In week two of the season in a game against the Jets, Bledsoe was hurt while scrambling to get out of bounds and gain some yardage. Brady entered the game and completed 5 passes for 46 yards but the Patriots lost the game 10 to 3. The next week, Brady started his first NFL as a quarterback vs the Indianapolis Colts. Brady ended up starting the rest of the regular thirteen season games and the Patriots finished the season with a with an 11 & 5 record an AFC East devision title and most importantly a playoff berth. Brady compiled the regular season stats of 264 completions on 413 attempts for 2843 yards, 18 touchdowns, 12 interceptions and a 86.5 passer rating. He made the AFC Pro Bowl team and was also named to the All Terry Team.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login