Kent State to Retire Josh Cribbs' jersey
-
October 12, 2010
Kent State To Retire Joshua Cribbs’ Number “9”
KENT, Ohio — Long before Joshua Cribbs was a two-time Pro Bowl selection for the Cleveland Browns, he was rewriting the Kent State record books. In recognition of his outstanding career with the Golden Flashes, the Athletic Department will retire the number "9" at a halftime ceremony of the Oct. 30 game against Ball State.
"I would just like to say that it's a great honor to be part of a legacy," says Cribbs. "Getting your jersey retired is something that people dream of. It means I'm doing the right thing to get to where I am today. It's great for me, it puts me at great peace. Kent State has been playing football for a long time and for me to be remembered as a great there — I'll remember for years to come."
Cribbs will join Jim Corrigall (#79, 1967-69), Jack Lambert (#99, 1971-73) and Eric Wilkerson (#40, 1985-88) as the only players in the 88-year history of the program to have their number retired. Lambert is one of only five former Mid-American Conference players in the NFL Hall of Fame, Corrigall is a member of the CFL Hall of Fame and Wilkerson finished his career as all-time leading rusher in Kent State history by more than 1,200 yards (he currently stands second).
"This is a well-deserved honor for a player who brought great recognition to Kent State University when he competed here and continues to do so on an almost daily basis in the National Football League," says Kent State Director of Athletics Joel Nielsen. "Joshua exemplifies our commitment to excellence both on and off the field and we're proud to announce today that we will be permanently enshrining him among our all-time greats."
During his standout four-year career with the Golden Flashes (2001-04), Cribbs redefined the quarterback position, becoming just the second player in NCAA history with two "double-1,000 seasons" (1,000 yards passing and rushing). He set the school career passing mark with 7,169 yards, while his career rushing total of 3,670 yards ranks third.
In addition, Cribbs still holds the career records for rushing touchdowns (38), completions (616), attempts (1,123), total plays (1,755), total yards (10,839), points (246) and total touchdowns (41). The first three-time captain in school history, he was an honorable mention All-American as a senior in 2004.
"Josh exemplified what a competitor truly is," says Kent State seventh-year head coach Doug Martin. "You watched Josh every day, and it didn't matter whether it was a practice, scrimmage or game; he always competed at the highest level. That permeated throughout the team.
"It's great for Josh and for our whole football team," continued Martin. "He's very proud to have played here and of what the people here have done for him. A lot of guys leave and don't keep their roots and don't come back, but Josh is always around."
Cribbs graduated from Kent State in the spring of 2010 with a bachelor's degree in communication studies with a concentration in public communication. He is a native of Upper Marlboro, Md. and attended Dunbar High School in Washington, D.C.
The Oct. 30 game with Ball State will air on WJW Fox 8 in Cleveland with the kickoff time moving from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. to accommodate the broadcast. Tom Linder will handle the play-by-play duties with former Browns standout Hanford Dixon serving as the color analyst. Tickets are available by calling (330) 672-2244.
-
Well deserved. Best player to come out of this school and that is saying a lot. Hopefully I can meet The Great Cribbs someday.
-
Awesome. He deserves this. And this is coming from a Bowling Green student.
-
YES YES YES!!!!
I may be a Steelers fan but I am a Kent Stater and have met Josh before on several occasions on campus. I couldn't be happier since he deserves it very much.
Now all they have to do is retire James Harrison's jersey as well. C'mon, everyone knows he makes the football programs legacy stronger

Lets Go Flashes!!!
-
simply awsome.
-
Awesome. He deserves this. And this is coming from a Bowling Green student.
Hillis-iz-Boss said:
Awesome. He deserves this. And this is coming from a Bowling Green student.I'm from BG. Lived there most my life. Are you a BGSU student or still in Highschool?
-
Nice ... congrats to Josh for making that short list.
Who the hell is Jack Lambert???
-
YES YES YES!!!!
I may be a Steelers fan but I am a Kent Stater and have met Josh before on several occasions on campus. I couldn't be happier since he deserves it very much.
Now all they have to do is retire James Harrison's jersey as well. C'mon, everyone knows he makes the football programs legacy stronger

Lets Go Flashes!!!
Go 'Lers said:
YES YES YES!!!!I may be a Steelers fan but I am a Kent Stater and have met Josh before on several occasions on campus. I couldn't be happier since he deserves it very much.
Now all they have to do is retire James Harrison's jersey as well. C'mon, everyone knows he makes the football programs legacy stronger

Lets Go Flashes!!!
You make me not want to go to this school.
-
In honor of this magnificent accomplishment, the Steelers will ceremoniously hang his jersey in the rafters at Heinz Field.
Along with Cribbs.
Regards...
... an'at
.
-
-
Well deserved. Best player to come out of this school and that is saying a lot. Hopefully I can meet The Great Cribbs someday.
Well deserved. Best player to come out of this school and that is saying a lot. Hopefully I can meet The Great Cribbs someday.
Gates?
-
In honor of this magnificent accomplishment, the Steelers will ceremoniously hang his jersey in the rafters at Heinz Field.
Along with Cribbs.
Regards...
... an'at
.
In honor of this magnificent accomplishment, the Steelers will ceremoniously hang his jersey in the rafters at Heinz Field.
Along with Cribbs.
Regards...
... an'at
.
Maybe they should hang your dumb ass from the rafters at Heinz Field.
-
Well deserved. Best player to come out of this school and that is saying a lot. Hopefully I can meet The Great Cribbs someday.
Gates?
Gates?
He is a close second.
-
Hey - just as a side note, I hope nobody took my wisecrack the wrong way. I'm not suggesting that Cribbs gets hung from a noose or something like that.
That's not my style. I'm just making a wisecrack and I hope it didn't get interpreted the wrong way.
Regards...
... an'at
.
-
Hey - just as a side note, I hope nobody took my wisecrack the wrong way. I'm not suggesting that Cribbs gets hung from a noose or something like that.
That's not my style. I'm just making a wisecrack and I hope it didn't get interpreted the wrong way.
Regards...
... an'at
.
Hey - just as a side note, I hope nobody took my wisecrack the wrong way. I'm not suggesting that Cribbs gets hung from a noose or something like that.
That's not my style. I'm just making a wisecrack and I hope it didn't get interpreted the wrong way.
Regards...
... an'at
.
Trust me if you made that sort of racial remark, you wouldn't be posting right now. We understand it was just a figure of speech.
-
Go 'Lers said:
YES YES YES!!!!I may be a Steelers fan but I am a Kent Stater and have met Josh before on several occasions on campus. I couldn't be happier since he deserves it very much.
Now all they have to do is retire James Harrison's jersey as well. C'mon, everyone knows he makes the football programs legacy stronger

Lets Go Flashes!!!
You make me not want to go to this school.
You make me not want to go to this school.
As a fellow Flash, I was hoping for better than that. I like Cribbs, i really do, and I truly hopes he's successful.
Is there no Kent connection in this world? We did just beat Akron!!!

-
You make me not want to go to this school.
As a fellow Flash, I was hoping for better than that. I like Cribbs, i really do, and I truly hopes he's successful.
Is there no Kent connection in this world? We did just beat Akron!!!

Go 'Lers said:
As a fellow Flash, I was hoping for better than that. I like Cribbs, i really do, and I truly hopes he's successful.Is there no Kent connection in this world? We did just beat Akron!!!

Haha this is true. I am just sick of all the black and yellow bangwagoners every time I walk to class.
Kent is 85% Steelers, 10% Browns, 3% Ravens, and 2% random.
We are closer to Cleveland c'mon it shouldn't be like this!
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login