Skip to content

Grading Out the Colt

The Browns Board
61 37 5.3k
  • every time the browns draft a QB, they start him too early

    he gets hurt or has a bad outing, then they start the backup the next game. then there is some sort of QB competition because both QBs are OK

    why dont you guys root for the offensive captain to come back and play. jake delhomme is the starter. hes the captain

    this is one of the major issues with the browns franchise. i know you guys are always excited about the new toy that you guys seem to draft every other year but the guys in charge know what they are doing and mccoy only started because it was an emergency

    once the other guys are healthy he should go back to holding a clipboard and learning from the vets

    @cantonlegend said:

    every time the browns draft a QB, they start him too early

    he gets hurt or has a bad outing, then they start the backup the next game. then there is some sort of QB competition because both QBs are OK

    why dont you guys root for the offensive captain to come back and play. jake delhomme is the starter. hes the captain

    this is one of the major issues with the browns franchise. i know you guys are always excited about the new toy that you guys seem to draft every other year but the guys in charge know what they are doing and mccoy only started because it was an emergency

    once the other guys are healthy he should go back to holding a clipboard and learning from the vets

    You're flat out wrong on your first statement that "every time the browns draft a QB they start him too early". You obviously don't spend much time watching the Browns. Sure, we started Couch, but who else did we have? We didn't start Quinn too early. Who else are you referring to then? I say let him play. The only way to learn anything is to do it.

  • I didn't vote. I'm impressed so far with the decisions made regarding QB personnel. My vote is in favor of letting the guys who gave Colt THIS start make the decision about his continuing to start. They certainly know more than I. Would I mind seeing more of him? Certainly not.

  • I didn't vote. I'm impressed so far with the decisions made regarding QB personnel. My vote is in favor of letting the guys who gave Colt THIS start make the decision about his continuing to start. They certainly know more than I. Would I mind seeing more of him? Certainly not.

    @kshutchins said:

    I didn't vote. I'm impressed so far with the decisions made regarding QB personnel. My vote is in favor of letting the guys who gave Colt THIS start make the decision about his continuing to start. They certainly know more than I. Would I mind seeing more of him? Certainly not.

    I believe they gave him the start by default ... we had no other healthy QB's and brought back a fourth QB we had cut on Wednesday. I guess most are saying that the coaches depth chart of Delhomme>> Wallace>> McCoy is pretty much ass-backwards and should read McCoy>> Wallace>> Ratliff>> Delhomme

  • @kshutchins said:

    I didn't vote. I'm impressed so far with the decisions made regarding QB personnel. My vote is in favor of letting the guys who gave Colt THIS start make the decision about his continuing to start. They certainly know more than I. Would I mind seeing more of him? Certainly not.

    I believe they gave him the start by default ... we had no other healthy QB's and brought back a fourth QB we had cut on Wednesday. I guess most are saying that the coaches depth chart of Delhomme>> Wallace>> McCoy is pretty much ass-backwards and should read McCoy>> Wallace>> Ratliff>> Delhomme

    @atenears said:

    I believe they gave him the start by default ... we had no other healthy QB's and brought back a fourth QB we had cut on Wednesday. I guess most are saying that the coaches depth chart of Delhomme>> Wallace>> McCoy is pretty much ass-backwards and should read McCoy>> Wallace>> Ratliff>> Delhomme

    I'm thinking more like Wallace, McCoy, Delhomme, Ratliff. Maybe Kevin Kolb will suddenly become available. 🙂

  • @hoorta said:

    OK, I put in the second"no" vote. Let's not get all giddy Browns fans. Was that an impressive performance? Hell yes!!!! Um teams have tape on the Coltster now.

    I'm not flat-out nixing the idea, but let's not get carried away. Assuming Wallace and Delhomme are still both crippled, I would let Colt start against the Saints- who have been playing far less impressive D than the Steelers- and THEN you evaluate where you want to go during the bye week.

    I'm excited as all hell! Why? Well his accuracy, poise, and arm strength are all there. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke for the entire game, but he did very well. The future is now, let him keep playing while he's in a grove. He needs are much experience as he can get.

    @usfbrown said:

    I'm excited as all hell! Why? Well his accuracy, poise, and arm strength are all there. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke for the entire game, but he did very well.

    What you saw on Sunday with Colt's accuracy is what you will see 99% of the time. This is how he played throughout his career at Texas. You will also continue to see the poise and coolness under fire. Better yet, he is the ultimate team player and you will never have to worry about weapons charges, rapes, murders, and other selfish distractions.

    The Browns didn't really have another best option so they started Colt yesterday. He is capable of starting the rest of the year and I believe he would do well if given the chance.

  • Let me start by saynig I was incredibly thrilled with Colt yesterday. I liked him 1,000x more than Clausen in the draft but didn't think in a million years he would play with that much poise this soon. His arm looked stronger than it did in training camp, he was accurate, and he is mobile. He looked more calm than Quinn or Frye ever looked after 3 years in the league. I was very impressed and even more excited about him than I was before. However.....don't start him.

    Let the kid sit. It is clear to me that he can play in this league but seeing as how Seneca has played well we have the luxery of handling Colt perfectly by letting him develop correctly. Wait until we have a bonified #1 WR and an offense that everyone understands and plays well in. Then, hand the team over to Colt maybe next year or maybe in year 3. The kid is good and I am thrilled about what I saw yesterday. But I'm the guy who's favorite QB since 99 was Jeff Garcia. I hated Couch, Frye, and Quinn and hoped like Hell that DA could harness that arm so I'm not one to follow the glamorous young QB. But I've like Colt and like him a whole lot more now and I don't want to see him rushed in just yet.

  • Let me start by saynig I was incredibly thrilled with Colt yesterday. I liked him 1,000x more than Clausen in the draft but didn't think in a million years he would play with that much poise this soon. His arm looked stronger than it did in training camp, he was accurate, and he is mobile. He looked more calm than Quinn or Frye ever looked after 3 years in the league. I was very impressed and even more excited about him than I was before. However.....don't start him.

    Let the kid sit. It is clear to me that he can play in this league but seeing as how Seneca has played well we have the luxery of handling Colt perfectly by letting him develop correctly. Wait until we have a bonified #1 WR and an offense that everyone understands and plays well in. Then, hand the team over to Colt maybe next year or maybe in year 3. The kid is good and I am thrilled about what I saw yesterday. But I'm the guy who's favorite QB since 99 was Jeff Garcia. I hated Couch, Frye, and Quinn and hoped like Hell that DA could harness that arm so I'm not one to follow the glamorous young QB. But I've like Colt and like him a whole lot more now and I don't want to see him rushed in just yet.

    @mopaji said:

    Let me start by saynig I was incredibly thrilled with Colt yesterday. I liked him 1,000x more than Clausen in the draft but didn't think in a million years he would play with that much poise this soon. His arm looked stronger than it did in training camp, he was accurate, and he is mobile. He looked more calm than Quinn or Frye ever looked after 3 years in the league. I was very impressed and even more excited about him than I was before. However.....don't start him.

    Let the kid sit. It is clear to me that he can play in this league but seeing as how Seneca has played well we have the luxery of handling Colt perfectly by letting him develop correctly. Wait until we have a bonified #1 WR and an offense that everyone understands and plays well in. Then, hand the team over to Colt maybe next year or maybe in year 3. The kid is good and I am thrilled about what I saw yesterday. But I'm the guy who's favorite QB since 99 was Jeff Garcia. I hated Couch, Frye, and Quinn and hoped like Hell that DA could harness that arm so I'm not one to follow the glamorous young QB. But I've like Colt and like him a whole lot more now and I don't want to see him rushed in just yet.

    Good post, and you have swayed me to your side. Without a #1 receiver (or #2 for that matter), what exactly could he learn anyway.

  • Very poised for a rookie. Pointing to receivers after routes were broken. Looks like he was back at Texas. Now let's get him some receivers.

  • @mopaji said:

    Let me start by saynig I was incredibly thrilled with Colt yesterday. I liked him 1,000x more than Clausen in the draft but didn't think in a million years he would play with that much poise this soon. His arm looked stronger than it did in training camp, he was accurate, and he is mobile. He looked more calm than Quinn or Frye ever looked after 3 years in the league. I was very impressed and even more excited about him than I was before. However.....don't start him.

    Let the kid sit. It is clear to me that he can play in this league but seeing as how Seneca has played well we have the luxery of handling Colt perfectly by letting him develop correctly. Wait until we have a bonified #1 WR and an offense that everyone understands and plays well in. Then, hand the team over to Colt maybe next year or maybe in year 3. The kid is good and I am thrilled about what I saw yesterday. But I'm the guy who's favorite QB since 99 was Jeff Garcia. I hated Couch, Frye, and Quinn and hoped like Hell that DA could harness that arm so I'm not one to follow the glamorous young QB. But I've like Colt and like him a whole lot more now and I don't want to see him rushed in just yet.

    Good post, and you have swayed me to your side. Without a #1 receiver (or #2 for that matter), what exactly could he learn anyway.

    @atenears said:

    Good post, and you have swayed me to your side. Without a #1 receiver (or #2 for that matter), what exactly could he learn anyway.

    It showed he is one a tough football player and was able to improvise and make use of what he had out on the field.

    Myself I will take the "Colt wears a skirt" label off. I was impressed with his composure throughout the game.

    We need to get some guys who can catch footballs or he will never develop into a top QB.

  • Colt played good yesterday. Better than than I thought he would based on what I had seen in pre-season ( I know he was great in college but thats college) I don't necessarily think he should start every game for the rest of the season but some. He is still a rookie and I don't want to see him get damaged physically or mentally.

  • @cantonlegend said:

    every time the browns draft a QB, they start him too early

    he gets hurt or has a bad outing, then they start the backup the next game. then there is some sort of QB competition because both QBs are OK

    why dont you guys root for the offensive captain to come back and play. jake delhomme is the starter. hes the captain

    this is one of the major issues with the browns franchise. i know you guys are always excited about the new toy that you guys seem to draft every other year but the guys in charge know what they are doing and mccoy only started because it was an emergency

    once the other guys are healthy he should go back to holding a clipboard and learning from the vets

    You're flat out wrong on your first statement that "every time the browns draft a QB they start him too early". You obviously don't spend much time watching the Browns. Sure, we started Couch, but who else did we have? We didn't start Quinn too early. Who else are you referring to then? I say let him play. The only way to learn anything is to do it.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    You're flat out wrong on your first statement that "every time the browns draft a QB they start him too early". You obviously don't spend much time watching the Browns. Sure, we started Couch, but who else did we have? We didn't start Quinn too early. Who else are you referring to then? I say let him play. The only way to learn anything is to do it.

    dont be mad because i rained on your parade

    ive lived in ohio for my entire life and ive noticed a lot of things not being a browns fan. i notice things like these threads where you guys get all excited and up in arms about a QB and then he has a bad game or 2 and you guys completely jump off him

    it happened with couch. it happened with frye. all the chants from the fans in the stands said that it should've happened to quinn and when you boo your starting QB off the field and chant some unproven draft pick into a game, no wonder why nobody wants to play in cleveland

    im not trying to start anything but ive seen cleveland suffer for too long and after watching new orleans turn it around ive noticed a lot of things the browns have been doing wrong.

    why dont you just try to let colt sit and learn rather than throwing him into the fire too soon

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    You're flat out wrong on your first statement that "every time the browns draft a QB they start him too early". You obviously don't spend much time watching the Browns. Sure, we started Couch, but who else did we have? We didn't start Quinn too early. Who else are you referring to then? I say let him play. The only way to learn anything is to do it.

    dont be mad because i rained on your parade

    ive lived in ohio for my entire life and ive noticed a lot of things not being a browns fan. i notice things like these threads where you guys get all excited and up in arms about a QB and then he has a bad game or 2 and you guys completely jump off him

    it happened with couch. it happened with frye. all the chants from the fans in the stands said that it should've happened to quinn and when you boo your starting QB off the field and chant some unproven draft pick into a game, no wonder why nobody wants to play in cleveland

    im not trying to start anything but ive seen cleveland suffer for too long and after watching new orleans turn it around ive noticed a lot of things the browns have been doing wrong.

    why dont you just try to let colt sit and learn rather than throwing him into the fire too soon

    @cantonlegend said:

    dont be mad because i rained on your parade

    ive lived in ohio for my entire life and ive noticed a lot of things not being a browns fan. i notice things like these threads where you guys get all excited and up in arms about a QB and then he has a bad game or 2 and you guys completely jump off him

    it happened with couch. it happened with frye. all the chants from the fans in the stands said that it should've happened to quinn and when you boo your starting QB off the field and chant some unproven draft pick into a game, no wonder why nobody wants to play in cleveland

    im not trying to start anything but ive seen cleveland suffer for too long and after watching new orleans turn it around ive noticed a lot of things the browns have been doing wrong.

    why dont you just try to let colt sit and learn rather than throwing him into the fire too soon

    Sanchez started in NY. Bradford in St. Louis. The original plan was for Colt to sit out this season. Unfortunately, both starters got hurt and he went in. Did a fine job for a rookie. I say let him play. You can only learn so much by riding the pine with a clip board in your hand.

  • congrats.

    you have a starting QB now.

    now your team should start building around him, but honestly the QB is the foundation, and the hardest part to get.

    @gafreleets said:

    congrats.

    you have a starting QB now.

    now your team should start building around him, but honestly the QB is the foundation, and the hardest part to get.

    You hit the nail on the head. I'll give ya props!

  • Colt is up to the challenge...Canton what other options Delomme?...come on you know being a Saints fan how bad he is...he likes to give games to the other team..this is exactly what the Browns need ..a young gun to get excited about...i bet the players are fired up even in this loss.....If Bradford can start why not Colt?...

  • i thought colt played very well. forgetting he played against a great steelers dee, in their stadium and never playing a snap in the nfl before, he also has to deal with a lack of any skill player talent. with all that he still put up great numbers. Even his 2 picks were not horrible decisions. Both were deflections but could still be put back on him. the first was a cluster of players that he shouldn't have tried, the 2nd was a miss throw on his part.

    i was most impressed by his arm strength. i didnt expect him to have that type of zip on the ball. But the best thing about his play was his desire to take shots in that 15-20 yard range. I am so sick of seeing our QB's throw in that 10 yards or less area with the dump off being the only real pass play.

    i worry about him getting the start this week or beyond simply because we are not going anywhere and he doesnt have the WR corp that can make plays for him. Seems like most of his passes went to the TE's because the WR suck so bad. People will argue that he should get the reps for the experience. But i say why send him into the fire where is experience will be in how to take a beating

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    You're flat out wrong on your first statement that "every time the browns draft a QB they start him too early". You obviously don't spend much time watching the Browns. Sure, we started Couch, but who else did we have? We didn't start Quinn too early. Who else are you referring to then? I say let him play. The only way to learn anything is to do it.

    dont be mad because i rained on your parade

    ive lived in ohio for my entire life and ive noticed a lot of things not being a browns fan. i notice things like these threads where you guys get all excited and up in arms about a QB and then he has a bad game or 2 and you guys completely jump off him

    it happened with couch. it happened with frye. all the chants from the fans in the stands said that it should've happened to quinn and when you boo your starting QB off the field and chant some unproven draft pick into a game, no wonder why nobody wants to play in cleveland

    im not trying to start anything but ive seen cleveland suffer for too long and after watching new orleans turn it around ive noticed a lot of things the browns have been doing wrong.

    why dont you just try to let colt sit and learn rather than throwing him into the fire too soon

    @cantonlegend said:

    dont be mad because i rained on your parade

    ive lived in ohio for my entire life and ive noticed a lot of things not being a browns fan. i notice things like these threads where you guys get all excited and up in arms about a QB and then he has a bad game or 2 and you guys completely jump off him

    it happened with couch. it happened with frye. all the chants from the fans in the stands said that it should've happened to quinn and when you boo your starting QB off the field and chant some unproven draft pick into a game, no wonder why nobody wants to play in cleveland

    im not trying to start anything but ive seen cleveland suffer for too long and after watching new orleans turn it around ive noticed a lot of things the browns have been doing wrong.

    why dont you just try to let colt sit and learn rather than throwing him into the fire too soon

    I understand your point, but when a rookie QB with lots of potential is your only option and is as good as a veteran who will be gone in a year or two, why not give him playing time and let him get the feel of the game ? Im sure, Bradford, Stafford even Matt Ryan etc are all learning even though they are/were rookie starters.

  • If you look at some of those passes he made, they were very tight and on the money. A lot of th veteran qbs may not have completed those passes but this kid did. We knew he had accuracy when we drafted him. What I was most pleased to see was that he was looking down field and making good passes. His first pick hit our guy right in the hands and could have been caught. The second one was a throw behind the reciever which will fall to the ground most of the time.

    I was very pleased to see him take chances, but not try to force passes. Blade good decisions and had a nice drive or two. All of this came against the best defense in the league and on the road. Let's hope he does better against lesser teams.

    Also, and might I say most importantly, his wife is super hot. Well done there too.

  • @cantonlegend said:

    dont be mad because i rained on your parade

    ive lived in ohio for my entire life and ive noticed a lot of things not being a browns fan. i notice things like these threads where you guys get all excited and up in arms about a QB and then he has a bad game or 2 and you guys completely jump off him

    it happened with couch. it happened with frye. all the chants from the fans in the stands said that it should've happened to quinn and when you boo your starting QB off the field and chant some unproven draft pick into a game, no wonder why nobody wants to play in cleveland

    im not trying to start anything but ive seen cleveland suffer for too long and after watching new orleans turn it around ive noticed a lot of things the browns have been doing wrong.

    why dont you just try to let colt sit and learn rather than throwing him into the fire too soon

    I understand your point, but when a rookie QB with lots of potential is your only option and is as good as a veteran who will be gone in a year or two, why not give him playing time and let him get the feel of the game ? Im sure, Bradford, Stafford even Matt Ryan etc are all learning even though they are/were rookie starters.

    @brownindian said:

    I understand your point, but when a rookie QB with lots of potential is your only option and is as good as a veteran who will be gone in a year or two, why not give him playing time and let him get the feel of the game ? Im sure, Bradford, Stafford even Matt Ryan etc are all learning even though they are/were rookie starters.

    all of those players play for noticably better teams

    there is a difference between throwing a QB into the fire and letting him play behind an already established team

    the ravens, jets, rams, lions, and falcons all have better teams than the browns do and they dont have to rely on their QBs to win

    further more, the potential is just unproven skill. thats something that isnt going to show up right away and if he has potential, why not let him sit, learn under 2 solid vets, and then come in with all the knowledge and let his physical skills do the work

    throwing him in right now means he is going off only skill and doesnt have the knowledge that you gain from bein in the league for a few seasons

  • @brownindian said:

    I understand your point, but when a rookie QB with lots of potential is your only option and is as good as a veteran who will be gone in a year or two, why not give him playing time and let him get the feel of the game ? Im sure, Bradford, Stafford even Matt Ryan etc are all learning even though they are/were rookie starters.

    all of those players play for noticably better teams

    there is a difference between throwing a QB into the fire and letting him play behind an already established team

    the ravens, jets, rams, lions, and falcons all have better teams than the browns do and they dont have to rely on their QBs to win

    further more, the potential is just unproven skill. thats something that isnt going to show up right away and if he has potential, why not let him sit, learn under 2 solid vets, and then come in with all the knowledge and let his physical skills do the work

    throwing him in right now means he is going off only skill and doesnt have the knowledge that you gain from bein in the league for a few seasons

    @cantonlegend said:

    all of those players play for noticably better teams

    there is a difference between throwing a QB into the fire and letting him play behind an already established team

    the ravens, jets, rams, lions, and falcons all have better teams than the browns do and they dont have to rely on their QBs to win

    further more, the potential is just unproven skill. thats something that isnt going to show up right away and if he has potential, why not let him sit, learn under 2 solid vets, and then come in with all the knowledge and let his physical skills do the work

    throwing him in right now means he is going off only skill and doesnt have the knowledge that you gain from bein in the league for a few seasons

    fair point.

  • I think we can pretty much all agree that we arent making the playoffs this year, and that Delhomme is not the long term answer. Also, it is pretty well known that it is almost impossible to make the playoffs or be a perennial contender without an adequate QB no matter what the rest of your team looks like. That being said, we need to find our FRANCHISE QB for the Browns to even talk about playoffs (easier said than done)...

    This upcoming draft with our probably high pick and the DEEP QB talent this year, we need to figure out if we should grab a Mallet, Luck, or Locker or decide if Colt could be our future. THIS is the reason why he should start for the rest of the year. We need to have preliminary data back in order to stick by him for at least a few more years or pick a "potential stud" QB with our first pick. I was, like the rest of you, impressed with Colt's play on Sunday and hope to see more of him the rest of the year.