Skip to content

FINALLY

The Browns Board
45 20 3.9k
  • @the-gipper said:

    I still think they should take it slow with him. We really don't want to make the Tim Couch mistake and put him in too prematurely and ruin his career.....though with McCoy, he has one big advantage that Tim Couch never had: a decent offensive line. TC was thrown to the wolves. McCoy, right now, has a better offensive line than any Tim Couch ever played with in his careeer.

    On the other hand, a very few QBs were just ready to go their rookie year:

    Take Bernie Kosar. He needed only a half a season of sitting behind Gary Danielson. But he had a good offensive line and an outstanding running game his rookie year that had 2 1000 yard rushers.

    Take Ben R. He had the games best defense and one of the games best running games when he came in. All he had to do was hand off, throw a few short passes, not make mistakes and get out of the way.

    Dan Marino was obviously the ultimate exception. He came out firing like none of the others.

    Sam Bradford seems to obviously be doing fairly well. He has led that "bad" team from last year to a .500 record so far. Don't know if it can continue.

    What other rookies came in and seemed fairly ready to go?

    The mistake with Tim Couch was drafting a guy with no pocket presence, no reading ability, and no concept of making first downs.................

    comparing him to Colt is an insult to Colt

    @rich4eagle said:

    The mistake with Tim Couch was drafting a guy with no pocket presence, no reading ability, and no concept of making first downs.................

    comparing him to Colt is an insult to Colt

    Well, my learned assessment of him is somewhat different than yours. The one thing Couch has done that no other Browns QB has done since "the return" in 1999: take the Browns to the playoffs.

    I think he could have been fine under a more stable situation.

  • Couch was a victim of having NOTHING around him (other than KJ). Colt has a line, BUT could be the victim of WR not getting open or making adjustments (coverage sacks, interceptions, declining confidence, etc). Yes, we've seen a lot of promise in Colt, but if the veterans are able to play, maybe they should finish out the year & let's get him the receivers he needs to reach his full potential. I think he'll be the GUY to lead us, but let's make sure he has viable skill players in place.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Couch was a victim of having NOTHING around him (other than KJ). Colt has a line, BUT could be the victim of WR not getting open or making adjustments (coverage sacks, interceptions, declining confidence, etc). Yes, we've seen a lot of promise in Colt, but if the veterans are able to play, maybe they should finish out the year & let's get him the receivers he needs to reach his full potential. I think he'll be the GUY to lead us, but let's make sure he has viable skill players in place.

    Mike

    And don't forget, aside from the draft, WRs are always available in Free Agency....or even trade. There is always some loudmouth WR wanting to be the #1 man wherever he goes. Here, any of them could accomplish that.

  • @canton-mike said:

    Couch was a victim of having NOTHING around him (other than KJ). Colt has a line, BUT could be the victim of WR not getting open or making adjustments (coverage sacks, interceptions, declining confidence, etc). Yes, we've seen a lot of promise in Colt, but if the veterans are able to play, maybe they should finish out the year & let's get him the receivers he needs to reach his full potential. I think he'll be the GUY to lead us, but let's make sure he has viable skill players in place.

    Mike

    And don't forget, aside from the draft, WRs are always available in Free Agency....or even trade. There is always some loudmouth WR wanting to be the #1 man wherever he goes. Here, any of them could accomplish that.

    @the-gipper said:

    And don't forget, aside from the draft, WRs are always available in Free Agency....or even trade. There is always some loudmouth WR wanting to be the #1 man wherever he goes. Here, any of them could accomplish that.

    Which I why I was surprised that AJ Smith was never linked to us for a trade for Vincent Jackson (not that we would want a head case like him).

  • @canton-mike said:

    Couch was a victim of having NOTHING around him (other than KJ). Colt has a line, BUT could be the victim of WR not getting open or making adjustments (coverage sacks, interceptions, declining confidence, etc). Yes, we've seen a lot of promise in Colt, but if the veterans are able to play, maybe they should finish out the year & let's get him the receivers he needs to reach his full potential. I think he'll be the GUY to lead us, but let's make sure he has viable skill players in place.

    Mike

    And don't forget, aside from the draft, WRs are always available in Free Agency....or even trade. There is always some loudmouth WR wanting to be the #1 man wherever he goes. Here, any of them could accomplish that.

    @the-gipper said:

    And don't forget, aside from the draft, WRs are always available in Free Agency....or even trade. There is always some loudmouth WR wanting to be the #1 man wherever he goes. Here, any of them could accomplish that.

    dont forget Couch stank..........get over that stupidity of making excuses for him

  • mikeyP72 said:

    Kelley Holcomb can take us to the super bowl if we resign him.

    or Don Strock.

  • with Hardesty and Hillis were alright at rb but we definately need some better receivers

  • He looked like the best the brownies have had at QB in a few years.

  • @rich4eagle said:

    The mistake with Tim Couch was drafting a guy with no pocket presence, no reading ability, and no concept of making first downs.................

    comparing him to Colt is an insult to Colt

    Well, my learned assessment of him is somewhat different than yours. The one thing Couch has done that no other Browns QB has done since "the return" in 1999: take the Browns to the playoffs.

    I think he could have been fine under a more stable situation.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, my learned assessment of him is somewhat different than yours. The one thing Couch has done that no other Browns QB has done since "the return" in 1999: take the Browns to the playoffs.

    I think he could have been fine under a more stable situation

    .

    If my memory serves me correct! In case you forgot Kelly Holcomb played down the stretch that year and I believe in the win against Atlanta and no 86 the hated one won two games with miracle TD's........Couch was just along for the ride.

    I would not be giddy about his play in a 9-7 season either.

    Couch just was never a good QB, little pocket presence and quick to go dump off resulting in 3rd and two.

    Colt showed more pocket presence yesterday than Couch did in any game ever and damn near every QB playing for ten years

    Lets hope he keeps playing and getting better

  • Colt did a great job against the Steelers. But, I want to wait to see how he does against a defense that has had time to study last weeks tape of him playing and put together a game plan against him. If he is still able to perform this week like last, then I will feel more confident in him being our new man. For now I still think it is up in the air.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, my learned assessment of him is somewhat different than yours. The one thing Couch has done that no other Browns QB has done since "the return" in 1999: take the Browns to the playoffs.

    I think he could have been fine under a more stable situation

    .

    If my memory serves me correct! In case you forgot Kelly Holcomb played down the stretch that year and I believe in the win against Atlanta and no 86 the hated one won two games with miracle TD's........Couch was just along for the ride.

    I would not be giddy about his play in a 9-7 season either.

    Couch just was never a good QB, little pocket presence and quick to go dump off resulting in 3rd and two.

    Colt showed more pocket presence yesterday than Couch did in any game ever and damn near every QB playing for ten years

    Lets hope he keeps playing and getting better

    @rich4eagle said:

    If my memory serves me correct! In case you forgot Kelly Holcomb played down the stretch that year and I believe in the win against Atlanta and no 86 the hated one won two games with miracle TD's........Couch was just along for the ride.

    I would not be giddy about his play in a 9-7 season either.

    Couch just was never a good QB, little pocket presence and quick to go dump off resulting in 3rd and two.

    Colt showed more pocket presence yesterday than Couch did in any game ever and damn near every QB playing for ten years

    Lets hope he keeps playing and getting better

    I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

    That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

    So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

  • We also shouldn't forget that Eric Zeire (or however you spell it) had a great start against the Bengals once and we thought he was the QB of the future...how'd that turn out for everyone?

    I think Colt is a whole lot better than Zeire but we shouldn't call him the QB of the future just yet.

  • @rich4eagle said:

    If my memory serves me correct! In case you forgot Kelly Holcomb played down the stretch that year and I believe in the win against Atlanta and no 86 the hated one won two games with miracle TD's........Couch was just along for the ride.

    I would not be giddy about his play in a 9-7 season either.

    Couch just was never a good QB, little pocket presence and quick to go dump off resulting in 3rd and two.

    Colt showed more pocket presence yesterday than Couch did in any game ever and damn near every QB playing for ten years

    Lets hope he keeps playing and getting better

    I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

    That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

    So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

    That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

    So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

    Alright, then the question is how many more starts do you give him? When another qb gets healthy in a few weeks do you bench Colt ? Are 2 or 3 starts enough to convince the front office that Colt will be the future ? Why cant we ever just have a starting qb without constant questions ?

  • @rich4eagle said:

    If my memory serves me correct! In case you forgot Kelly Holcomb played down the stretch that year and I believe in the win against Atlanta and no 86 the hated one won two games with miracle TD's........Couch was just along for the ride.

    I would not be giddy about his play in a 9-7 season either.

    Couch just was never a good QB, little pocket presence and quick to go dump off resulting in 3rd and two.

    Colt showed more pocket presence yesterday than Couch did in any game ever and damn near every QB playing for ten years

    Lets hope he keeps playing and getting better

    I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

    That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

    So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

    That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

    So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

    That is cool but some of us gotta a lot of scorn and to this day not a single mea culpa.................because we called Willie Green...........DUPA Green......which he was

  • @ballpeen said:

    I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

    That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

    So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

    Alright, then the question is how many more starts do you give him? When another qb gets healthy in a few weeks do you bench Colt ? Are 2 or 3 starts enough to convince the front office that Colt will be the future ? Why cant we ever just have a starting qb without constant questions ?

    @pavo-joe said:

    Alright, then the question is how many more starts do you give him? When another qb gets healthy in a few weeks do you bench Colt ? Are 2 or 3 starts enough to convince the front office that Colt will be the future ? Why cant we ever just have a starting qb without constant questions ?

    Start him every game and let it play out.........we have nothing else............so we can see him grow or shrink

  • The thing I liked about Colt on Sunday were the spirals on his passes. Whether on the run or in the pocket, the mechanics looked really good and the rotation/flight of the ball was smooth. Timing and not-tucking-the-ball too quickly will come with experience.

    Hey, did anyone notice we ran a couple of screen passes? And they went for big yards. Why don't we do that more often?

    Also, early in the first quarter, we ran a fake reverse. We run it every game it seems with a fake to Cribbs and a hand-off to Hills. It goes for a couple of yards but (I swear) the reverse would have gone for big real-estate. I don't understand why they don't run a trick play at least once per game. It's the same with the WildDawg. When is Cribbs going to fake the run and make a throw, or do some mis-direction or options off the WildDawg?

    Also, although we can argue QB's all day long, can we agree that the 2010 draft was the most fruitful since the return of the Browns? If Colt pans out and the RB (Modesti) and the O-lineman turn into starters, that's 4 or 5 key players in one year. I know what our record is ... but that kind of drafting armed with a little bit of trading (as with getting Hillis) and some FA's, this team can be .500 next year and in the playoffs in 2 years.

    Oh, and with all the reading I do on this board, the D-Line and especially the linebackers are not getting enough love! I thought they played a great game and contained the run for most of the game.

  • The thing I liked about Colt on Sunday were the spirals on his passes. Whether on the run or in the pocket, the mechanics looked really good and the rotation/flight of the ball was smooth. Timing and not-tucking-the-ball too quickly will come with experience.

    Hey, did anyone notice we ran a couple of screen passes? And they went for big yards. Why don't we do that more often?

    Also, early in the first quarter, we ran a fake reverse. We run it every game it seems with a fake to Cribbs and a hand-off to Hills. It goes for a couple of yards but (I swear) the reverse would have gone for big real-estate. I don't understand why they don't run a trick play at least once per game. It's the same with the WildDawg. When is Cribbs going to fake the run and make a throw, or do some mis-direction or options off the WildDawg?

    Also, although we can argue QB's all day long, can we agree that the 2010 draft was the most fruitful since the return of the Browns? If Colt pans out and the RB (Modesti) and the O-lineman turn into starters, that's 4 or 5 key players in one year. I know what our record is ... but that kind of drafting armed with a little bit of trading (as with getting Hillis) and some FA's, this team can be .500 next year and in the playoffs in 2 years.

    Oh, and with all the reading I do on this board, the D-Line and especially the linebackers are not getting enough love! I thought they played a great game and contained the run for most of the game.

    @frenchie said:

    Hey, did anyone notice we ran a couple of screen passes? And they went for big yards. Why don't we do that more often?

    I agree. He was exceptional selling the screen...moreso than anyone I've seen do that for the Browns in a long time.

  • @frenchie said:

    Hey, did anyone notice we ran a couple of screen passes? And they went for big yards. Why don't we do that more often?

    I agree. He was exceptional selling the screen...moreso than anyone I've seen do that for the Browns in a long time.

    @earl34 said:

    I agree. He was exceptional selling the screen...moreso than anyone I've seen do that for the Browns in a long time.

    I didn't even think about that. But you are right. I was just glad to see it used once in a while. Even if a screen only goes for a few yards, it makes the defence hesitate that half-step on every play and that can make the world of difference.

  • The thing I liked about Colt on Sunday were the spirals on his passes. Whether on the run or in the pocket, the mechanics looked really good and the rotation/flight of the ball was smooth. Timing and not-tucking-the-ball too quickly will come with experience.

    Hey, did anyone notice we ran a couple of screen passes? And they went for big yards. Why don't we do that more often?

    Also, early in the first quarter, we ran a fake reverse. We run it every game it seems with a fake to Cribbs and a hand-off to Hills. It goes for a couple of yards but (I swear) the reverse would have gone for big real-estate. I don't understand why they don't run a trick play at least once per game. It's the same with the WildDawg. When is Cribbs going to fake the run and make a throw, or do some mis-direction or options off the WildDawg?

    Also, although we can argue QB's all day long, can we agree that the 2010 draft was the most fruitful since the return of the Browns? If Colt pans out and the RB (Modesti) and the O-lineman turn into starters, that's 4 or 5 key players in one year. I know what our record is ... but that kind of drafting armed with a little bit of trading (as with getting Hillis) and some FA's, this team can be .500 next year and in the playoffs in 2 years.

    Oh, and with all the reading I do on this board, the D-Line and especially the linebackers are not getting enough love! I thought they played a great game and contained the run for most of the game.

    @frenchie said:

    The thing I liked about Colt on Sunday were the spirals on his passes. Whether on the run or in the pocket, the mechanics looked really good and the rotation/flight of the ball was smooth. Timing and not-tucking-the-ball too quickly will come with experience.

    Hey, did anyone notice we ran a couple of screen passes? And they went for big yards. Why don't we do that more often?

    Also, early in the first quarter, we ran a fake reverse. We run it every game it seems with a fake to Cribbs and a hand-off to Hills. It goes for a couple of yards but (I swear) the reverse would have gone for big real-estate. I don't understand why they don't run a trick play at least once per game. It's the same with the WildDawg. When is Cribbs going to fake the run and make a throw, or do some mis-direction or options off the WildDawg?

    Also, although we can argue QB's all day long, can we agree that the 2010 draft was the most fruitful since the return of the Browns? If Colt pans out and the RB (Modesti) and the O-lineman turn into starters, that's 4 or 5 key players in one year. I know what our record is ... but that kind of drafting armed with a little bit of trading (as with getting Hillis) and some FA's, this team can be .500 next year and in the playoffs in 2 years.

    Oh, and with all the reading I do on this board, the D-Line and especially the linebackers are not getting enough love! I thought they played a great game and contained the run for most of the game.

    They ran fake dive end around to MoMass later on, after the HB dive. I think he got stuffed at the line. I can't really remember though. We haven't double play action faked out of that play yet and come up passing, that's what I'm waiting for. You can bet your bippy that safety is hauling ass to the line almost every time he gets that read. And why not? He's got no wideout threats on his side with the split end coming in motion. There's no playside contain responsibilities, he's just got to come up and hit the RB.

    We need to run the playside tight end on a block and go, or even a straight fly. Hit the zone the safety just vacated, and he could go for six. We've never thrown out of it, so there's no film on it. We should run it when were in the hole, it could possibly come up big.

  • Browns are so bad..i dont think even a good texan like Colt can save them.....yall should have Tombstones in the endzones ..because thats where good players go to die..

  • Browns are so bad..i dont think even a good texan like Colt can save them.....yall should have Tombstones in the endzones ..because thats where good players go to die..

    @strato said:

    Browns are so bad..i dont think even a good texan like Colt can save them.....yall should have Tombstones in the endzones ..because thats where good players go to die..

    dude, just leave now. your weak attempts at goading make you look silly in comparison to the steeler regulars on here (tron, freets, buns etc.). pack up the beads and chug some hurricanes because it could be a long time until your team does it again.

    too bad cuz i think everybody pulled for your team and were happy when they won. only takes the matter of minutes to destroy good will when there are little turds like you washing up on the shores to destroy everything.