How tall is McCoy
-
I was looking up some height weight stats in order to compare Colt McCoy to another famous UT Longhorn QB, Bobby Layne, who took the Detroit Lions to 3 NFL Titles in the 50s. Layne was 6'1" 210 pounds. So then I google McCoy, and I am finding that his height in various places claims all sorts of things.
One says that he is 6'1 210. Others that he is 6'2" 215. Some even have him listed at 6'3". The Browns official roster lists him at 6'1" 216. So, what is right?
-
I was looking up some height weight stats in order to compare Colt McCoy to another famous UT Longhorn QB, Bobby Layne, who took the Detroit Lions to 3 NFL Titles in the 50s. Layne was 6'1" 210 pounds. So then I google McCoy, and I am finding that his height in various places claims all sorts of things.
One says that he is 6'1 210. Others that he is 6'2" 215. Some even have him listed at 6'3". The Browns official roster lists him at 6'1" 216. So, what is right?
I was looking up some height weight stats in order to compare Colt McCoy to another famous UT Longhorn QB, Bobby Layne, who took the Detroit Lions to 3 NFL Titles in the 50s. Layne was 6'1" 210 pounds. So then I google McCoy, and I am finding that his height in various places claims all sorts of things.
One says that he is 6'1 210. Others that he is 6'2" 215. Some even have him listed at 6'3". The Browns official roster lists him at 6'1" 216. So, what is right?
The Browns roster comes from information they do every year for physicals. I would trust that information.
-
I was looking up some height weight stats in order to compare Colt McCoy to another famous UT Longhorn QB, Bobby Layne, who took the Detroit Lions to 3 NFL Titles in the 50s. Layne was 6'1" 210 pounds. So then I google McCoy, and I am finding that his height in various places claims all sorts of things.
One says that he is 6'1 210. Others that he is 6'2" 215. Some even have him listed at 6'3". The Browns official roster lists him at 6'1" 216. So, what is right?
The Browns roster comes from information they do every year for physicals. I would trust that information.
The Browns roster comes from information they do every year for physicals. I would trust that information.
OK, so figure this out. The following QBs were all 6'1" or shorter:
Bobby Layne
Len Dawson
Bob Griese
Bart Starr
Norm Van Brocklin
Joe Montana
John Unitas
Otto Graham
Y.A. Tittle
Bob Waterfield
Sonny Jurgenson
Fran Tarkenton
all in the Hall of Fame.
Is that the optimum height for a QB these days? Conventional wisdom say: Probably not. More recent HOF QBs like Marino, Elway, Kelly, Aikman, Fouts, Moon were 6'3" or better. Namath and Steve Young were 6'2"
But, I will take a 6'1" guy that can play over a 6'6" guy that can't.
-
The Browns roster comes from information they do every year for physicals. I would trust that information.
OK, so figure this out. The following QBs were all 6'1" or shorter:
Bobby Layne
Len Dawson
Bob Griese
Bart Starr
Norm Van Brocklin
Joe Montana
John Unitas
Otto Graham
Y.A. Tittle
Bob Waterfield
Sonny Jurgenson
Fran Tarkenton
all in the Hall of Fame.
Is that the optimum height for a QB these days? Conventional wisdom say: Probably not. More recent HOF QBs like Marino, Elway, Kelly, Aikman, Fouts, Moon were 6'3" or better. Namath and Steve Young were 6'2"
But, I will take a 6'1" guy that can play over a 6'6" guy that can't.
OK, so figure this out. The following QBs were all 6'1" or shorter:
Bobby Layne
Len Dawson
Bob Griese
Bart Starr
Norm Van Brocklin
Joe Montana
John Unitas
Otto Graham
Y.A. Tittle
Bob Waterfield
Sonny Jurgenson
Fran Tarkenton
all in the Hall of Fame.
Is that the optimum height for a QB these days? Conventional wisdom say: Probably not. More recent HOF QBs like Marino, Elway, Kelly, Aikman, Fouts, Moon were 6'3" or better. Namath and Steve Young were 6'2"
But, I will take a 6'1" guy that can play over a 6'6" guy that can't.
I think it is all random. If you are a good, smart QB, you will have success regardless of height.
-
Steve Young was not 6'2". I'm positive.
-
Drew Brees is six foot (has been questioned) and we all know what he can do. I would say, just relax, Browns' fans. If Colt is the future his height won't be a factor.
-
Colt is taller than Drew Brees. I think I saw an official report a while back that listed him at 6'1" even. The optimal height they go for (per a scout that I've met) is 6'2"-6'4". Anything below and they worry about the ability to see the field. The more you get above that there are apparently diminishing returns in terms of athleticism, footwork, etc.
-
I think that the only down fall of someone being around 6'1" is that they tend to get more balls swatted down by D-Linemen. I know that Bree's gets a more than average amount of balls swatted down.
-
I think that the only down fall of someone being around 6'1" is that they tend to get more balls swatted down by D-Linemen. I know that Bree's gets a more than average amount of balls swatted down.
Hillis-iz-Boss said:
I think that the only down fall of someone being around 6'1" is that they tend to get more balls swatted down by D-Linemen. I know that Bree's gets a more than average amount of balls swatted down.What's funny about this is that so do QBs 6'6' & taller as they tend to release shorter passes on a "downward" trajectory. Remember how many DA got batted down?...most I have ever seen for a Brown's QB.
I think a short QBs biggest challenge is vision.
Mike
-
I think that the only down fall of someone being around 6'1" is that they tend to get more balls swatted down by D-Linemen. I know that Bree's gets a more than average amount of balls swatted down.
Hillis-iz-Boss said:
I think that the only down fall of someone being around 6'1" is that they tend to get more balls swatted down by D-Linemen. I know that Bree's gets a more than average amount of balls swatted down.I think you would be surprised by how few Brees passes get batted down.
-
Steve Young was not 6'2". I'm positive.
Steve Young was not 6'2". I'm positive.
The Bio on him on the HOF website said he was 6'2". So I went with that. But like I said I have seen bios on McCoy that said he was anywhere from 6'1" to 6'3".
-
Trust me, at best Colt is 6'-1". However, like all of us Texans he is hung like a mule which makes all of us play "Big".
-
Drew Brees is six foot (has been questioned) and we all know what he can do. I would say, just relax, Browns' fans. If Colt is the future his height won't be a factor.
Drew Brees is six foot (has been questioned) and we all know what he can do. I would say, just relax, Browns' fans. If Colt is the future his height won't be a factor.
Yup, and as I pointed out in another thread- to my surprise, Bret Favre is 6'2".
-
Drew Brees is six foot (has been questioned) and we all know what he can do. I would say, just relax, Browns' fans. If Colt is the future his height won't be a factor.
Yup, and as I pointed out in another thread- to my surprise, Bret Favre is 6'2".
-
Hillis-iz-Boss said:
I think that the only down fall of someone being around 6'1" is that they tend to get more balls swatted down by D-Linemen. I know that Bree's gets a more than average amount of balls swatted down.What's funny about this is that so do QBs 6'6' & taller as they tend to release shorter passes on a "downward" trajectory. Remember how many DA got batted down?...most I have ever seen for a Brown's QB.
I think a short QBs biggest challenge is vision.
Mike
What's funny about this is that so do QBs 6'6' & taller as they tend to release shorter passes on a "downward" trajectory. Remember how many DA got batted down?...most I have ever seen for a Brown's QB.
I think a short QBs biggest challenge is vision.
Mike
Good point. I've seen a number of Bernie Kosar's passes batted down as well back in the day, and he was like 6' 5".
-
I was looking up some height weight stats in order to compare Colt McCoy to another famous UT Longhorn QB, Bobby Layne, who took the Detroit Lions to 3 NFL Titles in the 50s. Layne was 6'1" 210 pounds. So then I google McCoy, and I am finding that his height in various places claims all sorts of things.
One says that he is 6'1 210. Others that he is 6'2" 215. Some even have him listed at 6'3". The Browns official roster lists him at 6'1" 216. So, what is right?
I was looking up some height weight stats in order to compare Colt McCoy to another famous UT Longhorn QB, Bobby Layne, who took the Detroit Lions to 3 NFL Titles in the 50s. Layne was 6'1" 210 pounds. So then I google McCoy, and I am finding that his height in various places claims all sorts of things.
One says that he is 6'1 210. Others that he is 6'2" 215. Some even have him listed at 6'3". The Browns official roster lists him at 6'1" 216. So, what is right?
He was measured 6'1" at the combine. That stuff is usually dead-on.
-
Trust me, at best Colt is 6'-1". However, like all of us Texans he is hung like a mule which makes all of us play "Big".
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login