Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. STAYING ON TOPIC

STAYING ON TOPIC

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
38 Posts 21 Posters 2.5k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • WPB Dawg Fan W
    • 1k Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I don't know about everyone else but I am sick and tired of threads being hi-jacked by self serving, single minded individuals.

    I, for once, would like to be able to start a topic that includes the mention of a QB or WR without the thread turning into a dissertation on somebodies private crusade.

    Poll results from the old forum

    What should be done with people unable to stay on topic?

    • Ban them...they are an unneeded disruption: 5 votes
    • Delete their posts...keep the threads clean: 14 votes
    • Nothing...it is an OPEN FORUM: 21 votes
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Masters ?
      • Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      ? Masters wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Delete the posts. Isn't that the purpose of mods?

      W 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • ? Guest

        Delete the posts. Isn't that the purpose of mods?

        WPB Dawg Fan W
        • 1k Posts
        • 0 Reputation
        W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Masters said:

        Delete the posts. Isn't that the purpose of mods?

        I don't want to overstep and be a "post czar" or something. Just want to make sure everyone can enjoy this board. I already went out and did the OPPOSING TEAM thread...which so far seems to have had the desired effect...but when it comes to Browns Fans...I hate telling them what they can and cannot say...so I am basically asking everyone what they want to see happen.

        ? LumberghL 2 Replies Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • chubb C
          • 60 Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          C chubb wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Maybe you should make another sticky about it, so when you delete their posts you can say "hey, there's a frickin sticky about staying on topic."

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • W WPB Dawg Fan

            Masters said:

            Delete the posts. Isn't that the purpose of mods?

            I don't want to overstep and be a "post czar" or something. Just want to make sure everyone can enjoy this board. I already went out and did the OPPOSING TEAM thread...which so far seems to have had the desired effect...but when it comes to Browns Fans...I hate telling them what they can and cannot say...so I am basically asking everyone what they want to see happen.

            Masters ?
            • Posts
            • 0 Reputation
            ? Masters wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @wpb-dawg-fan said:

            I don't want to overstep and be a "post czar" or something. Just want to make sure everyone can enjoy this board. I already went out and did the OPPOSING TEAM thread...which so far seems to have had the desired effect...but when it comes to Browns Fans...I hate telling them what they can and cannot say...so I am basically asking everyone what they want to see happen.

            Who we are talking about isn't a Browns fan. So you wouldn't be telling them what they can and cannot say 🙂

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Kosarfan KosarfanK
              • 239 Posts
              • 11 Reputation
              KosarfanK Kosarfan wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Nothing - it IS an open forum and desrves that freedom. Completely understand where you got this from and why you want to do. I don't care at all for guys with their own agenda either and straying off subject at times is annoying, but at times it also opens up more conversation and opinions which do lead back to the subject.

              If there are those, specifically the type you are annoyed with, I recommend a limited number of warnings before they are banned. If guys want to do little other than disrupt the line of conversation, warn them. If they have a lead in toward another train of thought that feeds toward the subject, that's fine and good.

              Many also seem to enjoy feeding off those that stir that kiddy anyway. All that need be done is IGNORE the BS and stay on subject. Too many want to continue the disruption with more insults, etc. and THAT is what hurts the thread.

              Not a popular position I know, but it IS an open forum.

              WPB thanks for asking.

              P.S. DA will be gone soon anyway.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Masters ?
                • Posts
                • 0 Reputation
                ? Masters wrote on last edited by
                #7

                When it is a moderated board, it isn't truly and open forum.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • W WPB Dawg Fan

                  Masters said:

                  Delete the posts. Isn't that the purpose of mods?

                  I don't want to overstep and be a "post czar" or something. Just want to make sure everyone can enjoy this board. I already went out and did the OPPOSING TEAM thread...which so far seems to have had the desired effect...but when it comes to Browns Fans...I hate telling them what they can and cannot say...so I am basically asking everyone what they want to see happen.

                  Lumbergh LumberghL
                  • 1k Posts
                  • 2 Reputation
                  LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @wpb-dawg-fan said:

                  I don't want to overstep and be a "post czar" or something.

                  You DON'T want to do that? Coulda fooled us. You've deleted more posts since you got the gig than all other mods combined.

                  WPB maybe you should start a "BQ is GOD" board and you can have your little circle jerks in there.

                  ? W L 3 Replies Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • LumberghL Lumbergh

                    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

                    I don't want to overstep and be a "post czar" or something.

                    You DON'T want to do that? Coulda fooled us. You've deleted more posts since you got the gig than all other mods combined.

                    WPB maybe you should start a "BQ is GOD" board and you can have your little circle jerks in there.

                    Masters ?
                    • Posts
                    • 0 Reputation
                    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @lumbergh said:

                    You DON'T want to do that? Coulda fooled us. You've deleted more posts since you got the gig than all other mods combined.

                    WPB maybe you should start a "BQ is GOD" board and you can have your little circle jerks in there.

                    Wrong as usual. WPD rarely deletes. I am sure Riffer has deleted far more of your off topic DA ball licking posts than WPD ever has.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • Pumpkin Eater P
                      • 4k Posts
                      • 297 Reputation
                      P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      Well sometimes the threads go off topic as a general course of the conversations.

                      :neutral_face:
                      W 1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • 88fingerslewy ?
                        • Posts
                        • 0 Reputation
                        ? 88fingerslewy wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        Yep, I'd bet money Lumburgh's a local guy.

                        Again, think of someone who loves DA.

                        Hates BQ.

                        But would enjoy anonymity while blasting anyone who disagrees with him.

                        Watch the writing styles. Fiery temper.

                        Words used. (BQ fag, dink-dunk offense, etc)

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • Kosarfan KosarfanK
                          • 239 Posts
                          • 11 Reputation
                          KosarfanK Kosarfan wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Vistors to this board must think the fans are as screwed up as the team.

                          ? E 2 Replies Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • LumberghL Lumbergh

                            @wpb-dawg-fan said:

                            I don't want to overstep and be a "post czar" or something.

                            You DON'T want to do that? Coulda fooled us. You've deleted more posts since you got the gig than all other mods combined.

                            WPB maybe you should start a "BQ is GOD" board and you can have your little circle jerks in there.

                            We need Tom Tupa W
                            • 591 Posts
                            • 11 Reputation
                            W We need Tom Tupa wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @lumbergh said:

                            You DON'T want to do that? Coulda fooled us. You've deleted more posts since you got the gig than all other mods combined.

                            WPB maybe you should start a "BQ is GOD" board and you can have your little circle jerks in there.

                            Was this your attempt at proving his point? Great job.

                            By the way, the BQ/DA debate is over. BQ is god now. He is our QB, and he doesnt have any competition for the job. Browns fans are on board. You can go away now.

                            John, I trust you to use your best judgment. If you think a thread is really getting ruined, you can step in. Maybe a good way to do it would be to leave a sticky where people could complain about deletions. If their complaints seem reasonable, or enough people complain, then back off a bit.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • KosarfanK Kosarfan

                              Vistors to this board must think the fans are as screwed up as the team.

                              Masters ?
                              • Posts
                              • 0 Reputation
                              ? Masters wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @kosarfan said:

                              Vistors to this board must think the fans are as screwed up as the team.

                              I don't think so. If you go to some other teams sites and browse, you'll see we aren't much different.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • P Pumpkin Eater

                                Well sometimes the threads go off topic as a general course of the conversations.

                                WPB Dawg Fan W
                                • 1k Posts
                                • 0 Reputation
                                W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @pumpkin-eater said:

                                Well sometimes the threads go off topic as a general course of the conversations.

                                I agree...and that is not exactly what I was referring to....

                                I am more referring to deliberate hi-jacking of threads. Where no matter the conversation...a specific topic or rant comes up by the same individual.

                                It may be "DA is God and you are all BQ fags"

                                or it may be "Sewage and Krispy Kreme suck"

                                or any number of oft repeated rants by a specific few

                                the key is....these come up when those individuals are NOT the topic.

                                I don't care about topics migrating...that happens naturally. It is also a good and natural progression on message boards.

                                P 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • W WPB Dawg Fan

                                  @pumpkin-eater said:

                                  Well sometimes the threads go off topic as a general course of the conversations.

                                  I agree...and that is not exactly what I was referring to....

                                  I am more referring to deliberate hi-jacking of threads. Where no matter the conversation...a specific topic or rant comes up by the same individual.

                                  It may be "DA is God and you are all BQ fags"

                                  or it may be "Sewage and Krispy Kreme suck"

                                  or any number of oft repeated rants by a specific few

                                  the key is....these come up when those individuals are NOT the topic.

                                  I don't care about topics migrating...that happens naturally. It is also a good and natural progression on message boards.

                                  Pumpkin Eater P
                                  • 4k Posts
                                  • 297 Reputation
                                  P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @wpb-dawg-fan said:

                                  I agree...and that is not exactly what I was referring to....

                                  I am more referring to deliberate hi-jacking of threads. Where no matter the conversation...a specific topic or rant comes up by the same individual.

                                  It may be "DA is God and you are all BQ fags"

                                  or it may be "Sewage and Krispy Kreme suck"

                                  or any number of oft repeated rants by a specific few

                                  the key is....these come up when those individuals are NOT the topic.

                                  I don't care about topics migrating...that happens naturally. It is also a good and natural progression on message boards.

                                  OK, thanks for the clarification. I say repeat offenders should be banned after a few warnings if that's all they ever do.

                                  :neutral_face:
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • LumberghL Lumbergh

                                    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

                                    I don't want to overstep and be a "post czar" or something.

                                    You DON'T want to do that? Coulda fooled us. You've deleted more posts since you got the gig than all other mods combined.

                                    WPB maybe you should start a "BQ is GOD" board and you can have your little circle jerks in there.

                                    lemosley01 L
                                    • 689 Posts
                                    • 0 Reputation
                                    L lemosley01 wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @lumbergh said:

                                    You DON'T want to do that? Coulda fooled us. You've deleted more posts since you got the gig than all other mods combined.

                                    WPB maybe you should start a "BQ is GOD" board and you can have your little circle jerks in there.

                                    Why do you guys put up with this shit? He adds nothing to the board, whatsoever, except insults.

                                    Just ban this little troll and be rid of him. I participate in a lot of boards (non-football) that are all good boards. The mods ban people there when they are disruptive and continue to do so. That's all Lumbergh does anymore.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • Thomas5737 T
                                      • 167 Posts
                                      • 0 Reputation
                                      T Thomas5737 wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      I'm against it and I say we get a ILB with the 1st pick! I prefer speaking off topic on nearly all of my posts.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • cmac12 C
                                        • 267 Posts
                                        • 0 Reputation
                                        C cmac12 wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        I think that the problem is that almost all topics can turn into conversations about the QB, WR, OL, RB, Coaching and front office.

                                        I have seen threads about the defense turn into threads about the offense (IE they don't stay on field) which then turn into threads about qbing and coaching.

                                        It is natural to happen, and I will say that although Lum is guilty of this he is by no means the only one. I have done it myself but then tried to tie it into the topic at hand. When Lum pops up is anytime that DA is mentioned. He is not the one that always brings up DA, but he does ALWAYS jump in to defend him.

                                        Many people hijack threads and turn them into what they think the problem is. That is natural. I guess what I would do is to create a new thread and place all WR talk into it, all QB talk into its own thread and so on. Then replace the thread that is off topic with a link to where you moved it too.

                                        Eventually people will just post in the proper area. This is not to say subjects do not deserve thier own thread. I am only talking about when a topic starts to go sideways then you move it to a specific area.

                                        On a side note you should move anything that is political to the political forum. I know people like to force views on others because they have experiance but a football forum is not the place to do it. It only makes people with opposing views want to lash back. There were recent posts about Michael Moore and I wanted to respond but this is not the place to do it. It would have blown up into something that this forum is not. Move things that have these kinds of refrences out of this forum or at least delete the part that has them in it.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • Tobalaz T
                                          • 543 Posts
                                          • 4 Reputation
                                          T Tobalaz wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          We all have ignore buttons, so banning shouldn't be an issue.

                                          HOWEVER, if a mods repeatedly warns people over the same thing, then banning is understandable.

                                          3 seasons until our new head coach, let's hope they get it right this time.
                                          FlugelF 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate