Skip to content

STAYING ON TOPIC

The Browns Board
38 21 2.5k
  • We all have ignore buttons, so banning shouldn't be an issue.

    HOWEVER, if a mods repeatedly warns people over the same thing, then banning is understandable.

  • We all have ignore buttons, so banning shouldn't be an issue.

    HOWEVER, if a mods repeatedly warns people over the same thing, then banning is understandable.

    @tobalaz said:

    We all have ignore buttons, so banning shouldn't be an issue.

    HOWEVER, if a mods repeatedly warns people over the same thing, then banning is understandable.

    Exactly! If someone is out to ruin the board - yank em. Like Tupa says, WPB/John alot of us have complete trust in you. You seem like you're very fair and you put alot of time into this board. Just do it.

    Tobalaz sums it up great. To piggyback on that. Doctors often warn people if something revs up their blood pressure - AVOID it. Is it REALLY that hard to skip the topics or people that rev up blood pressures? Come on folks we can do this can't we?

    - Tom F.

  • Lums got his shit swatted when he started bashing Ctown fans.

    Same with the little bitch Obes.

    It's basically the off season, so more will be let go on the board. Nobody needs Pittsfook fan in here messing with every thread after a loss to them, and the same goes for Lumquat and his Derek Bear Posse. When they have nothing constructive to say whatsoever and are obviously just trying to goad the real fans, their shit gets swatted like Mark Eaton in his heyday.

  • I said delete posts...with some explanation as to why it was deleted...

    I am not big on banning people...at least until it is clear they are just being obstinate and clearly disregarding the rules.

    A bit more moderation around here wouldn't hurt anything.

    It doesn't have to be like some boards where if you fart while posting they get in a huff, but it makes it unenjoyable if the mods take the attitude "anything goes"

    JMO

  • I've spent a few too many ten's of minutes trying to say the right things in this thread, after avoiding posting in this thread all afternoon. I'll refrain from saying much as to not piss off the Mod's that do the heavy lifting here.

    I've never had a problem with Lums, but have been embarrassed for the forum of the retaliation.

    It's baseball season here for me. Which means from here until August, I am on a part-time basis here on this forum. Dan has picked up my slack in the past and I trust in WPBDawg & Riffer to do so this off-season. I appreciate the hell out of all of these guys (and gals in KSHutchins case). It's their forum and I trust in them to grow it.

    Ok, so I'll take one shot; If you get a rise in blood pressure over Lum's you just might be a whiner. Lum's is not the problem, the dozen or so groupies he has that have to retaliate his every word is the problem. If you have a slight pressure of under garmet material balled up in your crotch .... you just might be a school girl.

    John & Russ, good luck this off-season. This fan base is really down and it is going to take some careful handling of things to keep interest here this winter. I'm banking on Alo's draft reports and bowl prospect scouting to be a rallying point, and the draft will be of interest. It's 1998 all over again, although without the collective hope.

    Mods, take us to the promise land.

  • Saying Lumburgh is not a problem on this board is assinine, he contributes NOTHING to this community.

    Speaking of Dan, where the hell has he been at lately? He hasn't posted in weeks, and I sent him a pm to see where he's been at, but no response.....Dan, came back dude. 🙁

  • Vistors to this board must think the fans are as screwed up as the team.

    @kosarfan said:

    Vistors to this board must think the fans are as screwed up as the team.

    Its a family thing and they wouldn't understand.

    do we need to serve some cheese here to go with this fine wine.

  • Lums got his shit swatted when he started bashing Ctown fans.

    Same with the little bitch Obes.

    It's basically the off season, so more will be let go on the board. Nobody needs Pittsfook fan in here messing with every thread after a loss to them, and the same goes for Lumquat and his Derek Bear Posse. When they have nothing constructive to say whatsoever and are obviously just trying to goad the real fans, their shit gets swatted like Mark Eaton in his heyday.

    @riffer-x said:

    Lums got his shit swatted when he started bashing Ctown fans.

    Same with the little bitch Obes.

    It's basically the off season, so more will be let go on the board. Nobody needs Pittsfook fan in here messing with every thread after a loss to them, and the same goes for Lumquat and his Derek Bear Posse. When they have nothing constructive to say whatsoever and are obviously just trying to goad the real fans, their shit gets swatted like Mark Eaton in his heyday.

    I don't have a problem with you guys tossing NON-Browns fans that are here to destroy the board or act like Beaver Nation idiots because Dumb Ass went from Cinderella to Kyle Boller after midnight. If I read a 5th consecutive "BQ Fag" reply from Lums - shame on me in the first place for expecting anything better.

    For a while I found him funny especially when we averaged 30 points an outing in the first 2 games DA was extremely replaceable in.

    The BIGGEST thing in all this is that I think you and WPB Dawg have the good of the board in mind. I think you'll both LIKE to continue to see people bringing football worthy debates instead of the boring "amen" replies to everything positive. Some of us NEED to vent about this team while others need to think everythignis fine. It would be boring if we were like OTHER boards that only want amen and 2 thumbs up replies to every positive opinion offered. The diversity of character is what I find attactive about this board.

    - Tom F.

  • What do you think of the c.c. sabathia signing? should peyton manning be mvp? 😳

  • After reviewing all of the answers...and the poll results...it seems pretty even between OPEN FORUM and DELETE POSTS (banning is in my opinion pretty much a last result that should only be done if somebody contributes nothing but snarky comments about fellow posters).

    So...I will continue to do what I had been doing...in an attempt to keep forums free flowing.

    Posts will only be deleted if there seems to be a DELIBERATE ATTEMPT to turn a thread from the main purpose to that individuals one personal agenda.

    We have already addressed the opposing team posters in a pinned note...and things have seemed to settle down a little on that front.

    In response to Ate's comment about Lummy....I agree to a certain extent. Lum does get some peoples goats and they then continue the conversation beyond the point of necessity. However, I also believe that Lummy goes out of his way to instigate this on threads not directly relating to DA. If a thread bashes DA...he has every right to defend....just as I did time and again for K2 a couple of years ago. If a thread is directly addressing BQ, he has every right to bash him. The posts I believe Lummy needs to avoid are ones that HE brings that into a thread for no apparent reason (ok lummy?). For example....if we are discussing DA's trade value....instead of just snarking...say that you think BQ would get more and that a new regime might keep DA....not just BQ sucks!

    Anyway....I love this board. You all have great input (yes, ALL), and I don't want to do anything that will keep this from a free flowing banter about the Browns!

  • After reviewing all of the answers...and the poll results...it seems pretty even between OPEN FORUM and DELETE POSTS (banning is in my opinion pretty much a last result that should only be done if somebody contributes nothing but snarky comments about fellow posters).

    So...I will continue to do what I had been doing...in an attempt to keep forums free flowing.

    Posts will only be deleted if there seems to be a DELIBERATE ATTEMPT to turn a thread from the main purpose to that individuals one personal agenda.

    We have already addressed the opposing team posters in a pinned note...and things have seemed to settle down a little on that front.

    In response to Ate's comment about Lummy....I agree to a certain extent. Lum does get some peoples goats and they then continue the conversation beyond the point of necessity. However, I also believe that Lummy goes out of his way to instigate this on threads not directly relating to DA. If a thread bashes DA...he has every right to defend....just as I did time and again for K2 a couple of years ago. If a thread is directly addressing BQ, he has every right to bash him. The posts I believe Lummy needs to avoid are ones that HE brings that into a thread for no apparent reason (ok lummy?). For example....if we are discussing DA's trade value....instead of just snarking...say that you think BQ would get more and that a new regime might keep DA....not just BQ sucks!

    Anyway....I love this board. You all have great input (yes, ALL), and I don't want to do anything that will keep this from a free flowing banter about the Browns!

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    After reviewing all of the answers...and the poll results...it seems pretty even between OPEN FORUM and DELETE POSTS (banning is in my opinion pretty much a last result that should only be done if somebody contributes nothing but snarky comments about fellow posters).

    So...I will continue to do what I had been doing...in an attempt to keep forums free flowing.

    Posts will only be deleted if there seems to be a DELIBERATE ATTEMPT to turn a thread from the main purpose to that individuals one personal agenda.

    We have already addressed the opposing team posters in a pinned note...and things have seemed to settle down a little on that front.

    In response to Ate's comment about Lummy....I agree to a certain extent. Lum does get some peoples goats and they then continue the conversation beyond the point of necessity. However, I also believe that Lummy goes out of his way to instigate this on threads not directly relating to DA. If a thread bashes DA...he has every right to defend....just as I did time and again for K2 a couple of years ago. If a thread is directly addressing BQ, he has every right to bash him. The posts I believe Lummy needs to avoid are ones that HE brings that into a thread for no apparent reason (ok lummy?). For example....if we are discussing DA's trade value....instead of just snarking...say that you think BQ would get more and that a new regime might keep DA....not just BQ sucks!

    Anyway....I love this board. You all have great input (yes, ALL), and I don't want to do anything that will keep this from a free flowing banter about the Browns!

    John, Merry Christmas to you and yours, you've done a helluva job on here and sometimes don't get the deserved appreciation.

    I can always count on you to spin things in a positive aspect.

  • Saying Lumburgh is not a problem on this board is assinine, he contributes NOTHING to this community.

    Speaking of Dan, where the hell has he been at lately? He hasn't posted in weeks, and I sent him a pm to see where he's been at, but no response.....Dan, came back dude. 🙁

    @socalbrownsfan said:

    Saying Lumburgh is not a problem on this board is assinine, he contributes NOTHING to this community.

    I disagree. Lum represented the DA side of the discussion. You might not have agreed to his worth of DA, but I personally favored his view over the taunting that Anybody-but-DA could do better. He went against the grain topic-wise ... seriously, that's no big deal.

    You all are forgetting what a problem poster is. A problem poster is listed as the last person to post in EVERY thread as you sign on at midnight. He's incomprehendable to read. He's all over the place spewing his rant incoherantly. He shits on the forum to the point, and so much so, that many leave the site. A Moderator has to be present at all times as the guy will just go off and spam EVERY thread and spill into multiple folders here. A problem poster will even resort to mass e-mailing ... including copying in others work e-mail address, just to be a bigger ass.

    Lum's not even close. He makes a smart-ass, back-handed comment at precise times and places and is perfect at yanking chains. Lum's in my book is a good poster. I just wish he wasn't so one-dimensional and would engage in other topics.

    I vouch for Lum's, as I vouch for everyone here. These are very much peaceful times even though our franchise is in horrible shambles and at an all time low. It's all good on the forum as far as conduct, IMO. Our Mod's here deserve credit for that, with even a call from some that there should be more moderation - that in itself is practically a perfect grade.

    Keep up the good work WPB & Rif, you guys are leading us all through a tough era.

    I think that I should replace Savage, as I've signed some pretty damn good choices for Moderators throughout this site.

  • to many people pin there feelings on there shirt sleeves. this is great place to read what others think about Cleveland sports. And everyone should realize these are opinions most of the time.

    ask yourself did you always agree with your brother or sister? let alone your father inlaw?

  • Have to say I lean toward an open board. There's one other board I go to about the Browns (rarely compared to here) and the Referees, as the mods call themselves, don't feel they've done their job for the day unless they delete a slew of threads and posts. I get they're trying to unclutter the place, but they lose a bunch of creative thoughts with their method.

    One thing they prefer is a 15 page thread on topic, rather than multiple threads a few pages long with difference thoughts about that topic. One thread with Quinn in the title is all that's allowed. It's really restrictive and I don't have the desire to read through all of those long threads in the spirit of a clean house.

    On the AVS forum (a tech forum), its worse. Threads dozens of pages long. Very laborious and god forbid you ask a quesion on page 47 when the same question was asked on page 23. You'll get a snide comment and a link from someone with no life (who has time to read 47 pages on the new Samsung PN50A650T anyway?)

    So, I like the free wheeling and quick hitting format here. Mods are needed and I think the pace of moderation is pretty good. Having stated my preference, I'm flexible.

    As far as being off-topic, it happens and I think as a mod, you could frustrate the heck out of yourself trying to keep people on topic. And every now and then, an off topic point is pretty interesting.

    2 cents.

  • @jadbf said:

    Gee, do I recognize someone in there somewhere? 😒

    I agree Lums not exactly a problem poster, just a one trick pony with no creativity.

    And I'd disagree that this francise is at an all time low. This year was a hiccup. The all time low was right before Davis was hired....

    Lumberg.jpg

  • I visit quiet a few boards, and I wouldn't say this one strays off topic anymore than most. I am not sure any action needs to be taken at all, but in specific situations I would be more inclined to delete posts as opposed to banning anyone. I haven't seen many posts that are intended specifically and solely as disruptions.

    Lum, while I completely disagree with his assessment of DA and BQ, and fully believe him to be a fan of a player, not of the team, still attempts to deliver a message, albeit the wrong one. Even the Steelers fans keep the trolling on subject for the most part, occasionally even contributing as something other than a punching bag. Also most of the truely idiotic posts are handled fairly well by the regulars anyway. Here stupidity is at least embarassing if not painful thanks to thier quick responses. Overall I give it a B+ as it stands, and doubt any more needs be done.

  • Have to say I lean toward an open board. There's one other board I go to about the Browns (rarely compared to here) and the Referees, as the mods call themselves, don't feel they've done their job for the day unless they delete a slew of threads and posts. I get they're trying to unclutter the place, but they lose a bunch of creative thoughts with their method.

    One thing they prefer is a 15 page thread on topic, rather than multiple threads a few pages long with difference thoughts about that topic. One thread with Quinn in the title is all that's allowed. It's really restrictive and I don't have the desire to read through all of those long threads in the spirit of a clean house.

    On the AVS forum (a tech forum), its worse. Threads dozens of pages long. Very laborious and god forbid you ask a quesion on page 47 when the same question was asked on page 23. You'll get a snide comment and a link from someone with no life (who has time to read 47 pages on the new Samsung PN50A650T anyway?)

    So, I like the free wheeling and quick hitting format here. Mods are needed and I think the pace of moderation is pretty good. Having stated my preference, I'm flexible.

    As far as being off-topic, it happens and I think as a mod, you could frustrate the heck out of yourself trying to keep people on topic. And every now and then, an off topic point is pretty interesting.

    2 cents.

    @oconrecon said:

    Have to say I lean toward an open board. There's one other board I go to about the Browns (rarely compared to here) and the Referees, as the mods call themselves, don't feel they've done their job for the day unless they delete a slew of threads and posts. I get they're trying to unclutter the place, but they lose a bunch of creative thoughts with their method.

    Before Atenears upgraded leadership we had a Barney Fife back on the AOL/CBSSportsline days that not only saw to it that FUNNY characters received adult timeout sessions with posts yanked - but she also saw to it they got TOS violations and alot of other nonsense. Atenears and I were in trouble so much that the person in charge got so many headaches she gave us leadership duties as a final resort before hearing "I quit"

    Believe it or not, I was in charge of the Chat Room which wasn't anything like a Jerry Springer episode. No seriously - I got fired 1 week into my gig as you can imagine. How do you get fired from a volunteer job? Somehow I managed and I was told there weren't enough amens or cyber smiley faces being generated under my watch to allow her to accept hearing I allowed somebody to type the following words: "suck", "squid" and my favorite "Ratshit Face." The ONLY time I had a better time getting fired was when I blew off washing dishes to throw a party when my parents went out of town.

    Somehow, someway, Skippy (Atenears) convinced that leader she wasn't improving membership - she was losing it and it wasn't worth her migraines. The FUN of him taking over was that he never REALLY felt compelled to remind people he was the leader. I STILL remember when we had a gay male cheerleader from the University of Kentucky (true story) publicly misplacing his mind. Nothing wrong with the gay thing - it just promoted characters being characters if you will. Atenears became the crooked sheriff that instigated this guy to do cyber cartwheels and "yay Zombo" cheers when he spoke up for Tim Couch. Hilarious stuff but you had to be there watching Zombo getting nervous to fully apprciate it! Another time 2 guys with the same screen name were going off on each other so it looked like we had a poster with multiple personalities getting pissed at the weaker personality. I laughed my testiculars off! The OLD AOL leader would have shut down the board for a couple days and told everyone to come back in a few days when we were more mature. Like that was possible before the 12th of Never.

    Boards with pompous leaders or goody 2-shoes moderators CAN'T compete with what we have here. Riff is FREAKIN hilarious (so he's PART of fun ballbusting) and WPB Dawg is as good as it gets with creating great discussion pieces. If they need to kick someone's tail out of here - that person deserves it. It's that simple.

    - Tom F. (What can I say? I grew up with role models like Dennis the Menace and Eddie Haskell)

  • @inspecta said:

    Hey guys I got a question.

    Anal sex,

    Good idea or dirty pool?

    Stay on topic dammit.... 😛

  • @inspecta said:

    Hey guys I got a question.

    Anal sex,

    Good idea or dirty pool?

    Yaa, stay on topic BUT don't forget to post what goes on at your house during Steeler week because there's alot of new people that never got to read that classic from you. Wait til Steeler week so we got 1 thing to look forward to that week.

    - Tom F.