Skip to content

Story from Canada ?

The Browns Board
10 5 1.2k
  • From the Edmonton Sun. Who knew they followed it this closely, eh?

    Hats off to Browns' shocking win

    By MIKE RUTSEY, QMI Agency

    Last Updated: October 24, 2010 5:37pm

    Kudos to the Cleveland Browns and head coach Eric Mangini for a fabulously entertaining and winning game plan they employed in their upset victory over the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints. The Saints won the coin toss but after that everything fell the Browns way. It wasn’t all smoke and mirrors for the Browns in the Superdome but there was plenty of sleight of hand magic.

    A year ago the Saints were the darlings of the NFL, a team that displayed offensive genius and pizzazz, gutsy unconventional calls from head coach Sean Payton and a ball-hawking defence.

    On Sunday, the Browns used that same strategy with dynamic results that knocked the Saints back on their heels and kept them on the defensive throughout the entire game.

    Toss in an off day from Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who was intercepted three times in the first half and four times overall, and it all totalled up to a stunning 30-17 victory by the Browns, who moved to 2-5. With the loss the Saints, who appear to be suffering from a giant sized Super Bowl hangover, dropped to 3-3 and are looking up at the 5-2 Atlanta Falcons in the NFC South.

    Keying the big plays on defence was veteran linebacker David Bowens, who came into the game with two career interceptions in his previous 12 seasons. But against Brees he not only made two interceptions but he turned both of them into touchdowns — a 30-yard TD near the end of the second quarter and then a 65-yard, game-breaking TD with 3:33 left in the game that sealed the deal.

    The fact that it was a player named Bowens that ruined Brees day is a bit of a weird vibe given that the Brees household on Tuesday celebrated the arrival of a second son — Bowen. Hey, you can’t make this stuff up.

    Trick plays also played a big part in the shocker.

    After the Saints opening drive stalled at their own three-yard line, they punted to Cleveland’s Josh Cribbs, who rifled a lateral across the field to Eric Wright who raced 62 yards to the Saints 19 leading to a Phil Dawson field goal and a 3-0 lead.

    The gutsiest call of the day came when leading 10-3 and facing a fourth-and-eight on their own 23-yard line, Mangini rolled the dice big time as punter Reggie Hodges faked a punt and zipped 68 yards up the middle which led to another Dawson field goal and a 13-3 lead.

    The Browns also had running back Peyton Hillis throw a pass back to quarterback Colt McCoy to keep a fourth-quarter drive alive which led to another Dawson field goal and a 22-10 lead.

    Mangini and your Browns, take a bow. You deserve it.

  • From the Edmonton Sun. Who knew they followed it this closely, eh?

    Hats off to Browns' shocking win

    By MIKE RUTSEY, QMI Agency

    Last Updated: October 24, 2010 5:37pm

    Kudos to the Cleveland Browns and head coach Eric Mangini for a fabulously entertaining and winning game plan they employed in their upset victory over the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints. The Saints won the coin toss but after that everything fell the Browns way. It wasn’t all smoke and mirrors for the Browns in the Superdome but there was plenty of sleight of hand magic.

    A year ago the Saints were the darlings of the NFL, a team that displayed offensive genius and pizzazz, gutsy unconventional calls from head coach Sean Payton and a ball-hawking defence.

    On Sunday, the Browns used that same strategy with dynamic results that knocked the Saints back on their heels and kept them on the defensive throughout the entire game.

    Toss in an off day from Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who was intercepted three times in the first half and four times overall, and it all totalled up to a stunning 30-17 victory by the Browns, who moved to 2-5. With the loss the Saints, who appear to be suffering from a giant sized Super Bowl hangover, dropped to 3-3 and are looking up at the 5-2 Atlanta Falcons in the NFC South.

    Keying the big plays on defence was veteran linebacker David Bowens, who came into the game with two career interceptions in his previous 12 seasons. But against Brees he not only made two interceptions but he turned both of them into touchdowns — a 30-yard TD near the end of the second quarter and then a 65-yard, game-breaking TD with 3:33 left in the game that sealed the deal.

    The fact that it was a player named Bowens that ruined Brees day is a bit of a weird vibe given that the Brees household on Tuesday celebrated the arrival of a second son — Bowen. Hey, you can’t make this stuff up.

    Trick plays also played a big part in the shocker.

    After the Saints opening drive stalled at their own three-yard line, they punted to Cleveland’s Josh Cribbs, who rifled a lateral across the field to Eric Wright who raced 62 yards to the Saints 19 leading to a Phil Dawson field goal and a 3-0 lead.

    The gutsiest call of the day came when leading 10-3 and facing a fourth-and-eight on their own 23-yard line, Mangini rolled the dice big time as punter Reggie Hodges faked a punt and zipped 68 yards up the middle which led to another Dawson field goal and a 13-3 lead.

    The Browns also had running back Peyton Hillis throw a pass back to quarterback Colt McCoy to keep a fourth-quarter drive alive which led to another Dawson field goal and a 22-10 lead.

    Mangini and your Browns, take a bow. You deserve it.

    @earl34 said:

    The fact that it was a player named Bowens that ruined Brees day is a bit of a weird vibe given that the Brees household on Tuesday celebrated the arrival of a second son — Bowen. Hey, you can’t make this stuff up.

    That is weird, I think I will just continue drinking the rest of the night now.

  • Just wondering why this game should get such a big writeup in an Edmonton Newspaper.

    No complaints, just curious.

  • Just wondering why this game should get such a big writeup in an Edmonton Newspaper.

    No complaints, just curious.

    @the-gipper said:

    Just wondering why this game should get such a big writeup in an Edmonton Newspaper.

    No complaints, just curious.

    Maybe the sports page editor is a Browns fan. 🙂

  • I'm Canadian (here in Charlotte, NC on a soccer scholarship) and I can tell you right now, there are TONS of football fans in Canada.

    A lot of Giants and Jets fans in Toronto, Browns fans in the UWO area (and Alberta), and so on and so forth.

    Don't count us out 😉

  • I'm Canadian (here in Charlotte, NC on a soccer scholarship) and I can tell you right now, there are TONS of football fans in Canada.

    A lot of Giants and Jets fans in Toronto, Browns fans in the UWO area (and Alberta), and so on and so forth.

    Don't count us out 😉

    @secondwave said:

    I'm Canadian (here in Charlotte, NC on a soccer scholarship) and I can tell you right now, there are TONS of football fans in Canada.

    A lot of Giants and Jets fans in Toronto, Browns fans in the UWO area (and Alberta), and so on and so forth.

    Don't count us out 😉

    OK, I am trying to figure out what UWO is: perhaps Upper/Western/Ontario? If the Browns are popular in Western Ontario and Alberta, what about in between? Manitoba/Saskatchewan? Do the Viking have the fans in those provinces?

  • @secondwave said:

    I'm Canadian (here in Charlotte, NC on a soccer scholarship) and I can tell you right now, there are TONS of football fans in Canada.

    A lot of Giants and Jets fans in Toronto, Browns fans in the UWO area (and Alberta), and so on and so forth.

    Don't count us out 😉

    OK, I am trying to figure out what UWO is: perhaps Upper/Western/Ontario? If the Browns are popular in Western Ontario and Alberta, what about in between? Manitoba/Saskatchewan? Do the Viking have the fans in those provinces?

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, I am trying to figure out what UWO is: perhaps Upper/Western/Ontario? If the Browns are popular in Western Ontario and Alberta, what about in between? Manitoba/Saskatchewan? Do the Viking have the fans in those provinces?

    - A lot of 49ers and Seahawks fans in British Columbia. TONS, a lot would drive down to San Fran or Seattle for the weekends for games/tailgating. No joke.

    - Many Lions fans in Windsor (they're 10 minutes from Detroit anyways)

    - In all of Quebec: Patriots, Cowboys, and Packers fans

    - Toronto: Bills, Jets, Giants fans

    - I know Manitoba has a Vikings fanbase but i've never been there to confirm. I wouldn't put it past them since they're geographically connected to MN.

    - And a lot of Bears and Browns fans in Western Ontario.

    That's all I'm sure about. I'm certain there are fans of different teams everywhere, but those are the huge fan bases I know about in Canada. Looking at the lists though, most canadian cities link themselves with an NFL team closest to them.

    I personally became a Browns fan because my grandfather was born in the Shaker Heights area. After his soccer career, he came to Canada and spread the Browns love. I'd like to call him the godfather of the Cleveland Browns fanbase - Canadian Chapter.

  • @the-gipper said:

    OK, I am trying to figure out what UWO is: perhaps Upper/Western/Ontario? If the Browns are popular in Western Ontario and Alberta, what about in between? Manitoba/Saskatchewan? Do the Viking have the fans in those provinces?

    - A lot of 49ers and Seahawks fans in British Columbia. TONS, a lot would drive down to San Fran or Seattle for the weekends for games/tailgating. No joke.

    - Many Lions fans in Windsor (they're 10 minutes from Detroit anyways)

    - In all of Quebec: Patriots, Cowboys, and Packers fans

    - Toronto: Bills, Jets, Giants fans

    - I know Manitoba has a Vikings fanbase but i've never been there to confirm. I wouldn't put it past them since they're geographically connected to MN.

    - And a lot of Bears and Browns fans in Western Ontario.

    That's all I'm sure about. I'm certain there are fans of different teams everywhere, but those are the huge fan bases I know about in Canada. Looking at the lists though, most canadian cities link themselves with an NFL team closest to them.

    I personally became a Browns fan because my grandfather was born in the Shaker Heights area. After his soccer career, he came to Canada and spread the Browns love. I'd like to call him the godfather of the Cleveland Browns fanbase - Canadian Chapter.

    @secondwave said:

    - A lot of 49ers and Seahawks fans in British Columbia. TONS, a lot would drive down to San Fran or Seattle for the weekends for games/tailgating. No joke.

    - Many Lions fans in Windsor (they're 10 minutes from Detroit anyways)

    - In all of Quebec: Patriots, Cowboys, and Packers fans

    - Toronto: Bills, Jets, Giants fans

    - I know Manitoba has a Vikings fanbase but i've never been there to confirm. I wouldn't put it past them since they're geographically connected to MN.

    - And a lot of Bears and Browns fans in Western Ontario.

    That's all I'm sure about. I'm certain there are fans of different teams everywhere, but those are the huge fan bases I know about in Canada. Looking at the lists though, most canadian cities link themselves with an NFL team closest to them.

    I personally became a Browns fan because my grandfather was born in the Shaker Heights area. After his soccer career, he came to Canada and spread the Browns love. I'd like to call him the godfather of the Cleveland Browns fanbase - Canadian Chapter.

    Cool. Were you one of the Canadians from Ottawa or Hamilton that was at our tailgate party a few weeks back?

  • @secondwave said:

    - A lot of 49ers and Seahawks fans in British Columbia. TONS, a lot would drive down to San Fran or Seattle for the weekends for games/tailgating. No joke.

    - Many Lions fans in Windsor (they're 10 minutes from Detroit anyways)

    - In all of Quebec: Patriots, Cowboys, and Packers fans

    - Toronto: Bills, Jets, Giants fans

    - I know Manitoba has a Vikings fanbase but i've never been there to confirm. I wouldn't put it past them since they're geographically connected to MN.

    - And a lot of Bears and Browns fans in Western Ontario.

    That's all I'm sure about. I'm certain there are fans of different teams everywhere, but those are the huge fan bases I know about in Canada. Looking at the lists though, most canadian cities link themselves with an NFL team closest to them.

    I personally became a Browns fan because my grandfather was born in the Shaker Heights area. After his soccer career, he came to Canada and spread the Browns love. I'd like to call him the godfather of the Cleveland Browns fanbase - Canadian Chapter.

    Cool. Were you one of the Canadians from Ottawa or Hamilton that was at our tailgate party a few weeks back?

    @the-gipper said:

    Cool. Were you one of the Canadians from Ottawa or Hamilton that was at our tailgate party a few weeks back?

    Yup, but not all of us were from Hamilton or Ottawa.

    Funny story, back when I was still in Canada since I was 10, on Sundays a bunch of Browns fans in Mississauga (nearby suburb of Toronto) would rent out the underground adult centre and get the huge theatre room to watch Browns games.

    Like I said, us Browns fans are everywhere 😉

  • @the-gipper said:

    Cool. Were you one of the Canadians from Ottawa or Hamilton that was at our tailgate party a few weeks back?

    Yup, but not all of us were from Hamilton or Ottawa.

    Funny story, back when I was still in Canada since I was 10, on Sundays a bunch of Browns fans in Mississauga (nearby suburb of Toronto) would rent out the underground adult centre and get the huge theatre room to watch Browns games.

    Like I said, us Browns fans are everywhere 😉

    @secondwave said:

    Yup, but not all of us were from Hamilton or Ottawa.

    Funny story, back when I was still in Canada since I was 10, on Sundays a bunch of Browns fans in Mississauga (nearby suburb of Toronto) would rent out the underground adult centre and get the huge theatre room to watch Browns games.

    Like I said, us Browns fans are everywhere 😉

    OK, it was great having you down here with us. Keep the fire burning for us up there. I hope you saw the photos on the Tailgate board.