Anatomy of a Play
-
I don't see it as Colt under throwing the ball. He gave it all he had....and that is about all he has for a deep ball...which is fine. You don't have to have a QB who can launch it 65 yards in the air. Colt's 45-50 is good enough.
I live in Texas and watched Colt play his whole career at Texas. He can easily throw the ball 65 yards.....just saying.
I believe he put the ball where he wanted.
I live in Texas and watched Colt play his whole career at Texas. He can easily throw the ball 65 yards.....just saying.
I believe he put the ball where he wanted.
That's cool man....then he put it where it couldn't be caught and was a designed play for a interference call. Cool beans.
If he wanted it caught, he would have tossed it 60 yards and let the receiver reach out and catch it.
JMO
-
Great thread and posts!!!
Colt is going to be a good one, the arm strength stuff is extremely overrated and he has enough. He has not maxed out growing more strength either, as he is just hitting manhood which adds natural strength to coincide with a pro workout regimen and refined mechanics.
Colt's highlights at Texas show him winging it 60 to 65 yards in the air and he did it a fair amount of times. The key to deep accuracy is to control it around and past that 45 to 50 yard mark and lead your receiver properly. All in all this was a pretty good throw from a kid who has had very limited reps with the first team offense and receivers since he was drafted. He is definitely the type to hone in the timing and control it, but I do agree a slightly earlier release (which goes for all QB's) not only gives more room for error but less time for safety recovery. This is a big issue for QB's in general, as most tend to wait a little too long making their reads. Plus, some like to show off the arm and really let it fly, which diminishes the accuracy even further.
A good QB almost always allows his player to make a play on the ball. Jake cost us the Atlanta game by overthrowing a wide open Cribbs for six, and Wallace seems to think the intended receivers are standing five yards out of bounds holding a clipboard. Let's face it, around 80% of your accuracy comes in the short to intermediate range, and there is absolutely no doubt he can thread it in there when need and also lead for YAC.
An overlooked play earlier was when Vickers dropped the quick flat when they were backed up in the endzone. He had room to ramble and Colt led him perfectly, quickly and with perfect touch. These are the kind of plays that get overlooked but win games. Colt will make defenses pay as they try to come after him since he's a rook, he is too composed and aware of what is going on. He has great pocket presence and escapability, things that can't necessarily be coached. Wallace is a perfect example, he has good wheels and is mobile, however, he lacks good pocket presence and likes to run himself out of plays to the sidelines or backwards.
Colt also can make defenses pay with the run out of the pocket, but he is also smart about it and avoids the big hit. This keeps even a sack from being a big loss, and also holds the LB's a little longer for open intermediate opportunities---not to mention his ability to create and throw on the run (Big Gay Ben anyone?)
We have a good one and I am very excited, nothing beats accuracy and smarts with athleticism and savvy.
-
Great post Earl, i would love to see more like it... X's and O's are great fun.
I'm trying to learn some of the X's and O's better as I never actually played football but I have been watching it for years and have figured things out in that time... a couple of questions about your breakdown.
1) Would that be a power I formation? I understood that would be an offset standard I... I thought a power or stacked I was when a WR was pulled and a THIRD back added to the form. What I can see is Center/QB/FB/RB which i thought was a normal I.
2) Would that be 8 in the box? It looks like the safety is lined up well outside of the line... I thought the box was within the tackles/TE's.
Not nitpicking... I do radio broadcasts for high school football in a small town and am studying up on a game I never played... but again, GREAT post... would love to see more like it down the line!
-
Great post Earl, i would love to see more like it... X's and O's are great fun.
I'm trying to learn some of the X's and O's better as I never actually played football but I have been watching it for years and have figured things out in that time... a couple of questions about your breakdown.
1) Would that be a power I formation? I understood that would be an offset standard I... I thought a power or stacked I was when a WR was pulled and a THIRD back added to the form. What I can see is Center/QB/FB/RB which i thought was a normal I.
2) Would that be 8 in the box? It looks like the safety is lined up well outside of the line... I thought the box was within the tackles/TE's.
Not nitpicking... I do radio broadcasts for high school football in a small town and am studying up on a game I never played... but again, GREAT post... would love to see more like it down the line!
Great post Earl, i would love to see more like it... X's and O's are great fun.
I'm trying to learn some of the X's and O's better as I never actually played football but I have been watching it for years and have figured things out in that time... a couple of questions about your breakdown.
1) Would that be a power I formation? I understood that would be an offset standard I... I thought a power or stacked I was when a WR was pulled and a THIRD back added to the form. What I can see is Center/QB/FB/RB which i thought was a normal I.
2) Would that be 8 in the box? It looks like the safety is lined up well outside of the line... I thought the box was within the tackles/TE's.
Not nitpicking... I do radio broadcasts for high school football in a small town and am studying up on a game I never played... but again, GREAT post... would love to see more like it down the line!
I understand about nitpicking. It's not that you want to but rather these little details for those of us that are learning make a big difference. Regarding the formation, it is an offset-I. I've heard it called power or strong meaning that the offset was toward the TE vs. weak. I like the "offset I" term better anyway. As for the box...yes, in the photo, the SF isn't exactly in the "box" but that's a function of my screen capture. He came down on the edge of the box and as I was writing this...I had to choose whether he was in or not. He's there primarily for run support...so I labeled it as "8 in the box" but really he bails out. The point is...if your safety is down on the LOS...he's there to stop the run or blitz first and pass defend second.
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. I will try to do more of these if time allows.
-
Great thread and posts!!!
Colt is going to be a good one, the arm strength stuff is extremely overrated and he has enough. He has not maxed out growing more strength either, as he is just hitting manhood which adds natural strength to coincide with a pro workout regimen and refined mechanics.
Colt's highlights at Texas show him winging it 60 to 65 yards in the air and he did it a fair amount of times. The key to deep accuracy is to control it around and past that 45 to 50 yard mark and lead your receiver properly. All in all this was a pretty good throw from a kid who has had very limited reps with the first team offense and receivers since he was drafted. He is definitely the type to hone in the timing and control it, but I do agree a slightly earlier release (which goes for all QB's) not only gives more room for error but less time for safety recovery. This is a big issue for QB's in general, as most tend to wait a little too long making their reads. Plus, some like to show off the arm and really let it fly, which diminishes the accuracy even further.
A good QB almost always allows his player to make a play on the ball. Jake cost us the Atlanta game by overthrowing a wide open Cribbs for six, and Wallace seems to think the intended receivers are standing five yards out of bounds holding a clipboard. Let's face it, around 80% of your accuracy comes in the short to intermediate range, and there is absolutely no doubt he can thread it in there when need and also lead for YAC.
An overlooked play earlier was when Vickers dropped the quick flat when they were backed up in the endzone. He had room to ramble and Colt led him perfectly, quickly and with perfect touch. These are the kind of plays that get overlooked but win games. Colt will make defenses pay as they try to come after him since he's a rook, he is too composed and aware of what is going on. He has great pocket presence and escapability, things that can't necessarily be coached. Wallace is a perfect example, he has good wheels and is mobile, however, he lacks good pocket presence and likes to run himself out of plays to the sidelines or backwards.
Colt also can make defenses pay with the run out of the pocket, but he is also smart about it and avoids the big hit. This keeps even a sack from being a big loss, and also holds the LB's a little longer for open intermediate opportunities---not to mention his ability to create and throw on the run (Big Gay Ben anyone?)
We have a good one and I am very excited, nothing beats accuracy and smarts with athleticism and savvy.
An overlooked play earlier was when Vickers dropped the quick flat when they were backed up in the endzone. He had room to ramble and Colt led him perfectly, quickly and with perfect touch.
I didn't overlook it. I still envision how the LB stumbled and this guy had about 90 yards of open field in front of him...

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login