Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Lockout in the NFL in 2011

Lockout in the NFL in 2011

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
13 Posts 7 Posters 977 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • longhorn L
    • 332 Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    L longhorn wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I hate to say it, but I feel pretty certain there will be a lockout orchestrated by the NFL owners in 2011. A lot of attention has gone to the extra games the owners want, but the largest issue, by far, is the $1 billion the owners are wanting back from the players to cover declining profits of many teams due to the poor economy. The players have asked the owners to open their books, but the owners have refused. The Green Bay Packers are the only publicly held franchise and their books show a definite downward trend in revenue. Their net revenue (profit) has declined from approximately $34 million four years ago to under $10 million last year. That $10 million in profit dropped FIFTY PERCENT from the previous year. On the American economicc front, 2011 is likely to be a harder year on many citizens than 2010 so the plunge in revenue is likely to continue. I predict the players will have to give some of the 60% off the top they currently receive and the owners will generally prevail this time.

    Another factor is the the NFL hired Bob Batterman, the lawyer who was instrumental in the NHL lockout and are following his gameplan for renegotiating the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement. Just like the NHL, the NFL has created a website to track this owner/labor mess at www.NFLLabor.com.

    If there is a lockout, don't expect to see a lot of coaching changes until it is over. Also, look for impacts on the draft and player contracts because the owners will try to get as lean as they can in costs before 2011 arrives. Supposedly the NFL also negotiated clauses in their TV contract which guaranteed $4 billion in revenue in 2011 even if no games are played. While they'd have to pay this back, it gives them significant money to help wait the players out. The betting is that the players will run out of money before the owners.

    The one and only time losing is acceptable is when it involves your virginity.
    1 Reply Last reply
    ❤
    Quote Reply
    • Unsympathetic U Reacting Well Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 4k Posts
      • 1k Reputation
      U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Orchestrated by the owners? Nope, it's 50-50 at best.

      The players are nonsensically greedy. I have no sympathy for their refusal to do what it takes to get a contract - never forget, their desire for more money is the key driver of this. If the players took the same % of the declining revenue stream as the present contract, this wouldn't be an issue. They should take a pay cut.. their income is other peoples' expense, and who among us has had a raise in the past 18 months?

      Unions don't negotiate for their members.. they negotiate to demonstrate the need for the continued existence of the union itself.

      I love the NFL. But I won't be surprised if the players are stupid enough to strike.

      The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you. "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." Paul Brown
      1 Reply Last reply
      ❤
      Quote Reply
      • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
        • 28k Posts
        • 6k Reputation
        DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
        #3

        They suck the money from the fans with $8.00 beers, $4.50 bottles of water, etc. The players get paid so much they could retire after one year and live in luxury. xxxx them! Let them lockout for all I give a shit.

        "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
        1 Reply Last reply
        ❤
        Quote Reply
        • Xanthros XanthrosX
          • 247 Posts
          • 33 Reputation
          XanthrosX Xanthros wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Are you sure that Green Bay's decline isn't a direct result of Brett Favre being traded to the Jets? 🙂

          Who let the DAWGS out??
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
            • 57k Posts
            • 4k Reputation
            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
            #5

            I don't even want to hear or think about this subject while there is a season going on. And really, don't bother us with all the constant stories of "woe is us billionaires and millionaires". Just post a notice that matters are settled. Until then: STFU.

            L ballpeenB 2 Replies Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • The GipperT The Gipper

              I don't even want to hear or think about this subject while there is a season going on. And really, don't bother us with all the constant stories of "woe is us billionaires and millionaires". Just post a notice that matters are settled. Until then: STFU.

              longhorn L
              • 332 Posts
              • 0 Reputation
              L longhorn wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @the-gipper said:

              I don't even want to hear or think about this subject while there is a season going on. And really, don't bother us with all the constant stories of "woe is us billionaires and millionaires". Just post a notice that matters are settled. Until then: STFU.

              Nah, I enjoy communicating with you too much Gipper. My next post will be asking for contributions to help Jerry Jones offset the Cowboys' bad season.

              The one and only time losing is acceptable is when it involves your virginity.
              The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • The GipperT The Gipper

                I don't even want to hear or think about this subject while there is a season going on. And really, don't bother us with all the constant stories of "woe is us billionaires and millionaires". Just post a notice that matters are settled. Until then: STFU.

                ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 9k Posts
                • 2k Reputation
                ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @the-gipper said:

                I don't even want to hear or think about this subject while there is a season going on. And really, don't bother us with all the constant stories of "woe is us billionaires and millionaires". Just post a notice that matters are settled. Until then: STFU.

                ????

                You having a bad day?

                **Shrug**

                If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • L longhorn

                  @the-gipper said:

                  I don't even want to hear or think about this subject while there is a season going on. And really, don't bother us with all the constant stories of "woe is us billionaires and millionaires". Just post a notice that matters are settled. Until then: STFU.

                  Nah, I enjoy communicating with you too much Gipper. My next post will be asking for contributions to help Jerry Jones offset the Cowboys' bad season.

                  The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                  • 57k Posts
                  • 4k Reputation
                  The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @longhorn said:

                  Nah, I enjoy communicating with you too much Gipper. My next post will be asking for contributions to help Jerry Jones offset the Cowboys' bad season.

                  How about this: Jerry should donate ownership of the team to the State of Texas...or at least sell it off so it becomes a publicly owned company, like the Packers.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • ballpeenB ballpeen

                    @the-gipper said:

                    I don't even want to hear or think about this subject while there is a season going on. And really, don't bother us with all the constant stories of "woe is us billionaires and millionaires". Just post a notice that matters are settled. Until then: STFU.

                    ????

                    You having a bad day?

                    **Shrug**

                    The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                    • 57k Posts
                    • 4k Reputation
                    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @ballpeen said:

                    ????

                    You having a bad day?

                    **Shrug**

                    No, I just don't think us fans need to be inundated with talk about the "Labor Strife" that the NFL owners and players are supposedly going to go through. They are all fabulously wealthy, so whatever issues there are between them...can say between them (and yes, I know there are some legitimate issues to be dealt with). Just don't involve us.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • jrb12711 jrb12711J Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 5k Posts
                      • 1k Reputation
                      jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      you can talk all you want about millionaires being greedy about losing millions, but this is a great post and explains it well. I understand they'd still all be extremely rich, but Gipper if you owned a business that saw profits declining anywhere from 30-50% (which is where the estimates are) would you not do something drastic to change it? I understand where you're coming from here, but you have to realize the owners see this as a business. And in the business world it's all about making money. I would probably go insane if there is a lockout, but honestly as much as I hate to admit I side with the owners on this one.

                      Honestly, everyone who uses the argument "well they are filthy rich who cares if they lose a couple million dollars" is speaking somewhat out of ignorant bliss. I can understand the argument "well he lost 3 million dollars, but he still made 10 million" and call the person greedy. But trust me, if you actually made that much money, you'd be doing the same damn thing. People who make that much money work VERY hard to do so. When these owners or anyone sees that money drop a lot, they will do something about it. It's just good business, you can't understand without being in their shoes.

                      The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • jrb12711J jrb12711

                        you can talk all you want about millionaires being greedy about losing millions, but this is a great post and explains it well. I understand they'd still all be extremely rich, but Gipper if you owned a business that saw profits declining anywhere from 30-50% (which is where the estimates are) would you not do something drastic to change it? I understand where you're coming from here, but you have to realize the owners see this as a business. And in the business world it's all about making money. I would probably go insane if there is a lockout, but honestly as much as I hate to admit I side with the owners on this one.

                        Honestly, everyone who uses the argument "well they are filthy rich who cares if they lose a couple million dollars" is speaking somewhat out of ignorant bliss. I can understand the argument "well he lost 3 million dollars, but he still made 10 million" and call the person greedy. But trust me, if you actually made that much money, you'd be doing the same damn thing. People who make that much money work VERY hard to do so. When these owners or anyone sees that money drop a lot, they will do something about it. It's just good business, you can't understand without being in their shoes.

                        The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                        • 57k Posts
                        • 4k Reputation
                        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @jrb12711 said:

                        you can talk all you want about millionaires being greedy about losing millions, but this is a great post and explains it well. I understand they'd still all be extremely rich, but Gipper if you owned a business that saw profits declining anywhere from 30-50% (which is where the estimates are) would you not do something drastic to change it? I understand where you're coming from here, but you have to realize the owners see this as a business. And in the business world it's all about making money. I would probably go insane if there is a lockout, but honestly as much as I hate to admit I side with the owners on this one.

                        Honestly, everyone who uses the argument "well they are filthy rich who cares if they lose a couple million dollars" is speaking somewhat out of ignorant bliss. I can understand the argument "well he lost 3 million dollars, but he still made 10 million" and call the person greedy. But trust me, if you actually made that much money, you'd be doing the same damn thing. People who make that much money work VERY hard to do so. When these owners or anyone sees that money drop a lot, they will do something about it. It's just good business, you can't understand without being in their shoes.

                        I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say. All I am saying is: Hey, you guys. Deal with it. Solve your problems. Keep us out of it. Play ball!

                        L 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • The GipperT The Gipper

                          @jrb12711 said:

                          you can talk all you want about millionaires being greedy about losing millions, but this is a great post and explains it well. I understand they'd still all be extremely rich, but Gipper if you owned a business that saw profits declining anywhere from 30-50% (which is where the estimates are) would you not do something drastic to change it? I understand where you're coming from here, but you have to realize the owners see this as a business. And in the business world it's all about making money. I would probably go insane if there is a lockout, but honestly as much as I hate to admit I side with the owners on this one.

                          Honestly, everyone who uses the argument "well they are filthy rich who cares if they lose a couple million dollars" is speaking somewhat out of ignorant bliss. I can understand the argument "well he lost 3 million dollars, but he still made 10 million" and call the person greedy. But trust me, if you actually made that much money, you'd be doing the same damn thing. People who make that much money work VERY hard to do so. When these owners or anyone sees that money drop a lot, they will do something about it. It's just good business, you can't understand without being in their shoes.

                          I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say. All I am saying is: Hey, you guys. Deal with it. Solve your problems. Keep us out of it. Play ball!

                          longhorn L
                          • 332 Posts
                          • 0 Reputation
                          L longhorn wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @the-gipper said:

                          I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say. All I am saying is: Hey, you guys. Deal with it. Solve your problems. Keep us out of it. Play ball!

                          I'm not trying to be a jerk Gipper. I like much of what you say on here, but you could use your last quote about subjects such as who will start at QB, should Mangini stay, etc. Whether we like it or not, player salaries, owner profits, management/labor bargaining agreements, etc. all have a major and direct impact on the game....probably as much or more than individual coaches and players at times. Peace.

                          The one and only time losing is acceptable is when it involves your virginity.
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • jrb12711 jrb12711J Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                            • 5k Posts
                            • 1k Reputation
                            jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            and i also understand what you're getting at too, but it's inevitable that we as fans will get heavily wrapped into it. There's just too much technology and media outlets for this not to happen. It's better IMO then to actually understand the situation then try and forcibly stay away from it ya know?

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                            Register Login
                            Reply
                            • Reply as topic
                            Log in to reply
                            • Oldest to Newest
                            • Newest to Oldest
                            • Most Votes


                            Theme
                            • System
                            • Light
                            • Dark
                            The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                            The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                            • First post
                              Last post
                            0
                            • Forums
                            • Recent
                            • Popular
                            • Users
                            • Donate