Holmgren Interview
-
Holmgren tipped his hand to much toward coaching next season for my liking. I hope I am wrong, but I think he may have just killed our momentum and cut Mangini's balls off at mid-season, practically labeling him a lame-duck coach. Yeah, I know, he also didn't ... but he gave the media an inch, and you know what they will do with that.
Stupid press conference IMO, and only self serving to Holmgren himself so he isn't forgotten.
That is what I got out of it. I was disappointed.
Holmgren tipped his hand to much toward coaching next season for my liking. I hope I am wrong, but I think he may have just killed our momentum and cut Mangini's balls off at mid-season, practically labeling him a lame-duck coach. Yeah, I know, he also didn't ... but he gave the media an inch, and you know what they will do with that.
Stupid press conference IMO, and only self serving to Holmgren himself so he isn't forgotten.
That is what I got out of it. I was disappointed.
I didn't hear any of that AT ALL. ::scratching head::
-
Holmgren tipped his hand to much toward coaching next season for my liking. I hope I am wrong, but I think he may have just killed our momentum and cut Mangini's balls off at mid-season, practically labeling him a lame-duck coach. Yeah, I know, he also didn't ... but he gave the media an inch, and you know what they will do with that.
Stupid press conference IMO, and only self serving to Holmgren himself so he isn't forgotten.
That is what I got out of it. I was disappointed.
I didn't hear any of that AT ALL. ::scratching head::
I didn't hear any of that AT ALL. ::scratching head::
Well, I watched it on TV, and maybe the little grins, body language, raised eyebrows and such weren't apparent in the reading (I didn't read it). He definately kept his foot in the door to coach this team next season.
In addressing the WR's didn't he basically say that they aren't as much of the problem as the scheme to get them the ball is? I totally disagree. Our receivers are not only the worst in the NFL this season, but they are the worst WR's corp I've ever seen on an NFL team in my entire life. I wouldn't doubt that they don't set NFL record lows this year. Meanwhile we have a young QB, RB and the TE position are emerging ::scratching head over this honesty thing::
-
I didn't hear any of that AT ALL. ::scratching head::
Well, I watched it on TV, and maybe the little grins, body language, raised eyebrows and such weren't apparent in the reading (I didn't read it). He definately kept his foot in the door to coach this team next season.
In addressing the WR's didn't he basically say that they aren't as much of the problem as the scheme to get them the ball is? I totally disagree. Our receivers are not only the worst in the NFL this season, but they are the worst WR's corp I've ever seen on an NFL team in my entire life. I wouldn't doubt that they don't set NFL record lows this year. Meanwhile we have a young QB, RB and the TE position are emerging ::scratching head over this honesty thing::
Well, I watched it on TV, and maybe the little grins, body language, raised eyebrows and such weren't apparent in the reading (I didn't read it). He definately kept his foot in the door to coach this team next season.
In addressing the WR's didn't he basically say that they aren't as much of the problem as the scheme to get them the ball is? I totally disagree. Our receivers are not only the worst in the NFL this season, but they are the worst WR's corp I've ever seen on an NFL team in my entire life. I wouldn't doubt that they don't set NFL record lows this year. Meanwhile we have a young QB, RB and the TE position are emerging ::scratching head over this honesty thing::
That could be it.
I listened to the Dan Patrick interview linked in another thread. I was really surprised that Holmgren didn't give Mangini more of a vote of confidence there when Dan proposed a wager about whether he (Holmgren) would be coaching next year. I don't know if Mike's just flattered at being asked and really WOULD enjoy it so he won't say "NO," or if there's been some discussion with Randy, or if he doesn't want to say "NEVER" and have it come back to bite him if something unforeseen happens, or if he's really thinking that Mangini is not the guy. I don't get it. He also didn't say anything like "I have a contract to continue doing the job I'm doing now." To his credit, there IS a half of a season yet to go and a lot could happen.
I agree with YOU about the WRs.
-
My personal take is that I don't see his desire to coach and his approval of Mangini as being exclusive of each other. Perhaps he sees improvement and likes Mangini but also is a coach at heart and misses that action. I don't think Mangini staying or going is going to be predicated on whether or not Holmgren wants to coach.
-
I couldn't agree more with ATENEARS. I really disliked the way that Holmgren handled that press conference, the transcript of which I read in the Plain Dealer.
After that remarkable win-- on the road in N.O. no less-- that's when you choose to talk about how there will be a decision on Mangini's job at the end of the season? Why not just say: "We've got a coach, a smart, capable coach. The offseason is a long way away, and we'll deal with what we have to at that time. For now our coach just beat the crap out of the World Champs!"
This has been annoying me most of the week. Glad I could finally rant about it.
-
I couldn't agree more with ATENEARS. I really disliked the way that Holmgren handled that press conference, the transcript of which I read in the Plain Dealer.
After that remarkable win-- on the road in N.O. no less-- that's when you choose to talk about how there will be a decision on Mangini's job at the end of the season? Why not just say: "We've got a coach, a smart, capable coach. The offseason is a long way away, and we'll deal with what we have to at that time. For now our coach just beat the crap out of the World Champs!"
This has been annoying me most of the week. Glad I could finally rant about it.
I couldn't agree more with ATENEARS. I really disliked the way that Holmgren handled that press conference, the transcript of which I read in the Plain Dealer.
After that remarkable win-- on the road in N.O. no less-- that's when you choose to talk about how there will be a decision on Mangini's job at the end of the season? Why not just say: "We've got a coach, a smart, capable coach. The offseason is a long way away, and we'll deal with what we have to at that time. For now our coach just beat the crap out of the World Champs!"
This has been annoying me most of the week. Glad I could finally rant about it.
I couldn't agree more. As long as we're on the subject of the coaching "vote of confidence", does anyone see a difference in how the media is "discussing" guys like Wade Phillips and Brad Childress? How about Mike Shanahan? If Mangini pulled Seneca with two minutes to go, I think the firestorm would be much worse because he's Mangini.
Just today, I heard two more loudmouthed New Yorkers pick the Pats and showing that they obviously don't respect our coach.
Adam Schein (buffoon, after his partner said 'You have to respect what Eric Mangini has done this year without a lot of talent'): I don't have to respect anybody. The Pats roll and roll big. Not even close.
Bill Pidto: I'll take the Patriots. Mangini is going to get absolutely schooled by Belichick who can't stand him.
Now, it seems to me that "Earl's First Rule of Bush League Journalism" applies to both of these situations: "The more hyperbole you use, the less substance in your argument". Clearly, these guys haven't watched any Browns games. Both of their on-air partners picked the Pats but were far more polite about it. They said that this is not an easy game for the Pats and this will be close. Then these two clowns chime in.
-
The most credible reporter in the business (Adam Schefter) picked the Browns, so its all good.
Ate, I couldn't agree more. I said the same thing in the WCO thread. He keeps saying he has to remove himself from looking at it from a coaching perspective and put the Czar hat on, but he continues to talk about it from a head coach perspective.
He says he understands there's more than 1 way to win in the NFL, but he doesn't seem open to any other way but his own.
He said he didn't want to throw a monkey wrench into Daboll's offense, but Bill Bellichek said the foundation of this offense is Holmgren's WCO, apparently the wrench has been thrown.
Everything he says about not wanting to interfere with Eric's philosophy appears to be the complete opposite. Do what you say and say what you mean.
-
I'm also in agreement with the last few posts. I have had little to criticize Holmgren but he's coming across as being two-faced and sending mixed messages. Furthermore, if I'm Lerner, I don't want Holmgren to be coaching unless it's an interim need after he fires the coach and before he hires another one. If Holmgrem is coaching, we're back to the days of Butch Davis and Lerner would have to fire him if the team isn't producing. The whole point of putting Holmgren over Mangini is so the coach can be fired without Lerner stepping in and to bring in his experience at the highest (czar) level of the organization.
Holmgren needs to do his job, not coach. He and Ekhert and the coach need to work as a team and bring their talents together for the betterment of the Browns. Holmgren has been both fortunate and smart this year. However, he also left this team without an NFL caliber receiving corps. so he was far from perfect. We need an excellent draft, a couple of free agents and determine who will be the franchise QB, so IMHO, Holmgren should have a busy agenda. And I think he will fire Mangini but not before he has identified a replacement/upgrade.
Personally, I would go after Coward (first choice) or Gruden (second choice). Stay off the field Holmgren!
-
The Big Show has just thrown his name out there for Zygi Wolf and Jerry Jones, rather than trying to undercut Mangini. Dallas and Minnesota are both teams TBS would love to take over. He would be a perfect fit for either team.
-
Holmgren left Seattle because they were not going to allow him to be head coach and GM. That option was open to him in Cleveland. As GM, if he thinks he is the best option for coaching I suspect he will do it. If he is thinking about it, then why should he put on a false act and speak as though Mangini is the best thing since sliced bread. If he did that and then decided to coach you all would be calling him a liar. With the team's record where it is, I doubt there is any way he knows what is going to happen. He's leaving the door open which should be fine. If the Brown's win out, Mangini will be back. If they lose every remaining game he will be gone. I suspect the real driving force is to see what happens with the lockout in 2011. Personally I think he will coach or he would never have come here. He was given wide control over the business and coaching apsects.
-
TBS recognizes the Brown's strength of schedule this year. it's not as cut and dry as wins/losses, the key here is improvement. it's been documented all over, and as has been said, he's consistent with his speaking.
if the ship seems righted in CLE, it's possible he could slide out of his position and take a coaching job elsewhere. slim, but possible.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login