Skip to content

Why we lost today

The Browns Board
38 23 2.6k
  • This was proof that we need a big play WR.

  • Look, McCoy played like a rookie for much of the game, but when you win the turnover margin that badly, you should be able to field a rookie QB making questionable decisions and still win decisively.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    So, back to what I've been saying since day one.

    Could we please find a new offensive coordinator? Run, Run, Pass is getting predictable. Daboll calls plays like people play Madden, he finds a handful that he likes and runs them 90 percent of the time.

    there was a lot of pressure coming from the right side today... and not a lot of push... IMHO the absence of both Yates and Womack were a big key to today's loss and our offensive woes....

    @alporcini said:

    there was a lot of pressure coming from the right side today... and not a lot of push... IMHO the absence of both Yates and Womack were a big key to today's loss and our offensive woes....

    One of those two is going to be gone in the offseason anyway, and my money is on Yates. Jacksonville knew what they were doing, surprisingly, and they brought the pressure at Lauvao. He didn't pass the test, he has to do better next week. But Lauvao needs to learn, and he's getting that baptism by fire, I guess.

  • @alporcini said:

    there was a lot of pressure coming from the right side today... and not a lot of push... IMHO the absence of both Yates and Womack were a big key to today's loss and our offensive woes....

    One of those two is going to be gone in the offseason anyway, and my money is on Yates. Jacksonville knew what they were doing, surprisingly, and they brought the pressure at Lauvao. He didn't pass the test, he has to do better next week. But Lauvao needs to learn, and he's getting that baptism by fire, I guess.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    One of those two is going to be gone in the offseason anyway, and my money is on Yates. Jacksonville knew what they were doing, surprisingly, and they brought the pressure at Lauvao. He didn't pass the test, he has to do better next week. But Lauvao needs to learn, and he's getting that baptism by fire, I guess.

    agree 100% couch... let's see what we have with Lauvao!... (but I really hate St. Clair!)

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    One of those two is going to be gone in the offseason anyway, and my money is on Yates. Jacksonville knew what they were doing, surprisingly, and they brought the pressure at Lauvao. He didn't pass the test, he has to do better next week. But Lauvao needs to learn, and he's getting that baptism by fire, I guess.

    agree 100% couch... let's see what we have with Lauvao!... (but I really hate St. Clair!)

    @alporcini said:

    agree 100% couch... let's see what we have with Lauvao!... (but I really hate St. Clair!)

    I agree, I'd rather keep Yates. But the FO seems to love St. Clair.

    I don't understand it at all.

  • we should add MJD to the list of reasons.

  • #1--as has been mentioned, we got 6 turnovers. Offensive play calling was not good and we should have had more points from turnovers.

    #2--critical field goal misses came back to haunt us

    #3--offensive line play was not up to par with recent weeks. Too many sacks and QB hurries, too little production from the running game.

    #4--offensive play calling was predicatable....throughout the game.....P-L-E-A-S-E make the tight ends a bigger part of the gameplan.

    #5--our wide receivers seldom get open and play calling contributes to this. Part of it is their overall skill level, but part of getting WR's open is a good offensive gameplan.....I just don't see a gameplan that includes many creative passing plays. We need more quick stuff to the WR's and TE seams.

    #6--we seem to tighten up on defense at the end of games and our tackling suffers badly

    #7--receiving core drops too many catchable balls.

    Lot's of things need to be tightened up and the coaching staff has to do it.....on offense, defense and special teams.

    @longhorn said:

    #1--as has been mentioned, we got 6 turnovers. Offensive play calling was not good and we should have had more points from turnovers.

    #2--critical field goal misses came back to haunt us

    #3--offensive line play was not up to par with recent weeks. Too many sacks and QB hurries, too little production from the running game.

    #4--offensive play calling was predicatable....throughout the game.....P-L-E-A-S-E make the tight ends a bigger part of the gameplan.

    #5--our wide receivers seldom get open and play calling contributes to this. Part of it is their overall skill level, but part of getting WR's open is a good offensive gameplan.....I just don't see a gameplan that includes many creative passing plays. We need more quick stuff to the WR's and TE seams.

    #6--we seem to tighten up on defense at the end of games and our tackling suffers badly

    #7--receiving core drops too many catchable balls.

    Lot's of things need to be tightened up and the coaching staff has to do it.....on offense, defense and special teams.

    Number 1 thing that needs to be tightened up is our offensive play calling. Our defense did a great job but you can't leave your defense on the field that much in the second half and not expect a guy like MJD not to make a huge play against a tired defense. Our offense was playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

  • its amazing.

    win? praise daboll. lose? new offensive coordinator.

    we simply got beat on offense today, we won't win if we can't run the ball or pass protect

  • Look, McCoy played like a rookie for much of the game, but when you win the turnover margin that badly, you should be able to field a rookie QB making questionable decisions and still win decisively.

    @tshirtfan said:

    Look, McCoy played like a rookie for much of the game, but when you win the turnover margin that badly, you should be able to field a rookie QB making questionable decisions and still win decisively.

    I bet there are at least 6-8 coaches in the league right now that wish their backup, rookie or veteran QB would have played as well as McCoy in the last 5 games. Teams like Tennessee, Minnesota, Seattle, Arizona, Miami, etc.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    One of those two is going to be gone in the offseason anyway, and my money is on Yates. Jacksonville knew what they were doing, surprisingly, and they brought the pressure at Lauvao. He didn't pass the test, he has to do better next week. But Lauvao needs to learn, and he's getting that baptism by fire, I guess.

    agree 100% couch... let's see what we have with Lauvao!... (but I really hate St. Clair!)

    @alporcini said:

    agree 100% couch... let's see what we have with Lauvao!... (but I really hate St. Clair!)

    I agree St Clair is useless! his pathetic attempt at RT is horrible. Iwould rather have Slowmack in that spot. Atleast Slowmack gives 110% on every play.

    WR's like Rosissy need to be sent packing, i dont care if he was a second round pick, the boy just doesn't get it. Watch him from the line and you will notice on his takeoffs that he almost always takes a false step before he starts to run his route allowing the db more than enough time to engage him into his route.

  • its amazing.

    win? praise daboll. lose? new offensive coordinator.

    we simply got beat on offense today, we won't win if we can't run the ball or pass protect

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    its amazing.

    win? praise daboll. lose? new offensive coordinator.

    we simply got beat on offense today, we won't win if we can't run the ball or pass protect

    You show me any post I've ever praised Daboll, and I'll eat my own foot.

    Even throughout our wins I was tearing him down. I'm not a fairweather analyst, I call it like I see it. Point is, his playcalling has lost us the game more often than it's won us the game.

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    its amazing.

    win? praise daboll. lose? new offensive coordinator.

    we simply got beat on offense today, we won't win if we can't run the ball or pass protect

    You show me any post I've ever praised Daboll, and I'll eat my own foot.

    Even throughout our wins I was tearing him down. I'm not a fairweather analyst, I call it like I see it. Point is, his playcalling has lost us the game more often than it's won us the game.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    You show me any post I've ever praised Daboll, and I'll eat my own foot.

    Even throughout our wins I was tearing him down. I'm not a fairweather analyst, I call it like I see it. Point is, his playcalling has lost us the game more often than it's won us the game.

    i wasn't singling you out by any means. i don't pay attention really to user names.

    but i really feel that the all around execution was awful today.

    And our offense isn't the same without cribbs, sad but true.

  • This should the straw that broke tha camel's back with Daboll. How can you only have 10 points off turnovers with 6 of them? He's a joke.

  • @tshirtfan said:

    Look, McCoy played like a rookie for much of the game, but when you win the turnover margin that badly, you should be able to field a rookie QB making questionable decisions and still win decisively.

    I bet there are at least 6-8 coaches in the league right now that wish their backup, rookie or veteran QB would have played as well as McCoy in the last 5 games. Teams like Tennessee, Minnesota, Seattle, Arizona, Miami, etc.

    @longhorn said:

    I bet there are at least 6-8 coaches in the league right now that wish their backup, rookie or veteran QB would have played as well as McCoy in the last 5 games. Teams like Tennessee, Minnesota, Seattle, Arizona, Miami, etc.

    Oh I absolutely agree. I don't think McCoy was the reason we lost, to be honest. I think if he can have a healthy career he can be one of the best in the league (I'm a longhorn fan first). A good offense with a mediocre backup QB would have scored more points. Cleveland's offense has enough talent to do much better as a whole. The offensive line isn't awful, the running game is good, and the receivers are adequate. This was a case of two things happening at once: Jacksonville outschemed our offense, and they took away Colt's ability to scramble out of the pocket and make plays in spite of being outschemed.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    You show me any post I've ever praised Daboll, and I'll eat my own foot.

    Even throughout our wins I was tearing him down. I'm not a fairweather analyst, I call it like I see it. Point is, his playcalling has lost us the game more often than it's won us the game.

    i wasn't singling you out by any means. i don't pay attention really to user names.

    but i really feel that the all around execution was awful today.

    And our offense isn't the same without cribbs, sad but true.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    i wasn't singling you out by any means. i don't pay attention really to user names.

    but i really feel that the all around execution was awful today.

    And our offense isn't the same without cribbs, sad but true.

    I know. I didn't intend to come off as harsh as I did.

    I just have always hated the Daboll acquisiton. Always.

    And it's true, Cribbs opens up our offense. Which is another knock on Daboll. Yeah, I don't quit...haha.

  • We can cry all we want about playcalling. This game was not lost because of the playcalling.

    It was lost plain and simply on the offensive line. It didn't matter what play we called. Steinbach, Lauvao and St. Clair were eaten alive and Mack was a casualty of the inability of either guard to block. In the second half, we had to use the TE to block or chip.

    We gave up six sacks, numerous pressures and ran for a lousy average. That's the offensive line not getting it done. No OL play= few first downs = fewer points off of those turnovers.

  • We can cry all we want about playcalling. This game was not lost because of the playcalling.

    It was lost plain and simply on the offensive line. It didn't matter what play we called. Steinbach, Lauvao and St. Clair were eaten alive and Mack was a casualty of the inability of either guard to block. In the second half, we had to use the TE to block or chip.

    We gave up six sacks, numerous pressures and ran for a lousy average. That's the offensive line not getting it done. No OL play= few first downs = fewer points off of those turnovers.

    @earl34 said:

    We can cry all we want about playcalling. This game was not lost because of the playcalling.

    It was lost plain and simply on the offensive line. It didn't matter what play we called. Steinbach, Lauvao and St. Clair were eaten alive and Mack was a casualty of the inability of either guard to block. In the second half, we had to use the TE to block or chip.

    I disagree. The blocking wasn't great. And that was a contributing factor. But run, run, pass, punt doesn't put you in position to win even with the greatest offensive line in history.

    When you don't have the talent to win (even though we do), you have to outcoach the other teams. And being predictable ain't outcoaching, no matter which way you slice it. The offensive line couldn't block the defense because the defense would stack the box on first and second downs, knowing we were going to run come hell or high water. Jacksonville was simply bringing one more man than we had to block, every time. And then, when it's 3rd and 17, they could drop 7 into coverage.

    It wasn't one thing that lost us the game, it was playing like shit all over. From the coaches to the players.

    But....did you notice, on 3rd on 18, the draw destroyed their defense, and Hillis was one tackle away from breaking it for the first down? That's what unpredictability brings.

  • @earl34 said:

    We can cry all we want about playcalling. This game was not lost because of the playcalling.

    It was lost plain and simply on the offensive line. It didn't matter what play we called. Steinbach, Lauvao and St. Clair were eaten alive and Mack was a casualty of the inability of either guard to block. In the second half, we had to use the TE to block or chip.

    I disagree. The blocking wasn't great. And that was a contributing factor. But run, run, pass, punt doesn't put you in position to win even with the greatest offensive line in history.

    When you don't have the talent to win (even though we do), you have to outcoach the other teams. And being predictable ain't outcoaching, no matter which way you slice it. The offensive line couldn't block the defense because the defense would stack the box on first and second downs, knowing we were going to run come hell or high water. Jacksonville was simply bringing one more man than we had to block, every time. And then, when it's 3rd and 17, they could drop 7 into coverage.

    It wasn't one thing that lost us the game, it was playing like shit all over. From the coaches to the players.

    But....did you notice, on 3rd on 18, the draw destroyed their defense, and Hillis was one tackle away from breaking it for the first down? That's what unpredictability brings.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I disagree. The blocking wasn't great. And that was a contributing factor. But run, run, pass, punt doesn't put you in position to win even with the greatest offensive line in history.

    When you don't have the talent to win (even though we do), you have to outcoach the other teams. And being predictable ain't outcoaching, no matter which way you slice it. The offensive line couldn't block the defense because the defense would stack the box on first and second downs, knowing we were going to run come hell or high water. Jacksonville was simply bringing one more man than we had to block, every time. And then, when it's 3rd and 17, they could drop 7 into coverage.

    It wasn't one thing that lost us the game, it was playing like shit all over. From the coaches to the players.

    But....did you notice, on 3rd on 18, the draw destroyed their defense, and Hillis was one tackle away from breaking it for the first down? That's what unpredictability brings.

    I'll go back and tally the defensive fronts but they were getting plenty of disruption in our running game without 8-in-the-box. I saw a whole lot of OLmen getting their asses whipped today.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I disagree. The blocking wasn't great. And that was a contributing factor. But run, run, pass, punt doesn't put you in position to win even with the greatest offensive line in history.

    When you don't have the talent to win (even though we do), you have to outcoach the other teams. And being predictable ain't outcoaching, no matter which way you slice it. The offensive line couldn't block the defense because the defense would stack the box on first and second downs, knowing we were going to run come hell or high water. Jacksonville was simply bringing one more man than we had to block, every time. And then, when it's 3rd and 17, they could drop 7 into coverage.

    It wasn't one thing that lost us the game, it was playing like shit all over. From the coaches to the players.

    But....did you notice, on 3rd on 18, the draw destroyed their defense, and Hillis was one tackle away from breaking it for the first down? That's what unpredictability brings.

    I'll go back and tally the defensive fronts but they were getting plenty of disruption in our running game without 8-in-the-box. I saw a whole lot of OLmen getting their asses whipped today.

    @earl34 said:

    I'll go back and tally the defensive fronts but they were getting plenty of disruption in our running game without 8-in-the-box. I saw a whole lot of OLmen getting their asses whipped today.

    Oh there's no argument about that. They got manhandled, plain and simple.

  • In the first half, there were 10 first and ten situations. We ran on 4 of those plays.

    In the third quarter there were three, we ran twice (neither was "up the middle"). Colt was sacked on the pass play.

    In the fourth quarter (before the hurry up) we had two first and tens and we ran once and tried to pass once resulting in a sack.

    So, if you want to call that predictable then why was Colt sacked both times he tried to pass on first down in the second half? I think it just speaks to negative plays resulting from poor offensive line play. You can argue about predictability all you want. The Saints knew we were running as did the Pats and the Jets and we still managed to run effectively when we needed to.

    Yes, there were three three-and-outs. The last would have been converted on third if Robiskie holds on.