Skip to content

The Picks You Don't Make...

The Browns Board
40 13 2.8k
  • @shepwrite said:

    Fluges was the Spiller guy. I was the Clausen guy... but honestly, it's because he's from here and became semi-friends with my son when he was training with "The Freaks" at Body Logic. I was really pulling for him, especially because nobody who actually knows him thinks he's the tool he was portrayed to be.

    I think you're being modest a bit in how hard you wanted the Browns to take Clausen. You never really said he was a buddy of your kid. Your exact words were something like "I feel really, really confident that we screwed the pooch in a major way. We just flat out xxxxed up." I think you also said Alex Smith and Matt Leinhart had stamps of approvals from their coaches because the teams passed on Clausen. Clausen was the crown jewel of this draft according to you, Peter King, Mel Kiper and the developed economies of the world. LOL.

    It was a lot more than just you wanting to see a local kid do good. You had this kid at the top of the draft because you thought he was going to rock the NFL.

    @hoss said:

    I think you're being modest a bit in how hard you wanted the Browns to take Clausen. You never really said he was a buddy of your kid. Your exact words were something like "I feel really, really confident that we screwed the pooch in a major way. We just flat out xxxxed up." I think you also said Alex Smith and Matt Leinhart had stamps of approvals from their coaches because the teams passed on Clausen. Clausen was the crown jewel of this draft according to you, Peter King, Mel Kiper and the developed economies of the world. LOL.

    It was a lot more than just you wanting to see a local kid do good. You had this kid at the top of the draft because you thought he was going to rock the NFL.

    Well, modesty is an issue with me. I'm trying to overcome it.

    I did rank him above McCoy... but I mentioned the hometown angle and his relationship with my son about 198 times. To the point that I got teased about it. You may have left the board around that time, DD. Is what it is.

    My point is that I let my hometown loyalties/connections shade my otherwise impeccable scouting acumen (NOTE: SARCASM). I don't believe Curry and Alo are from the same place.

    And he started it. Those in glass houses and all that. Ka-bash.

  • @hoss said:

    I think you're being modest a bit in how hard you wanted the Browns to take Clausen. You never really said he was a buddy of your kid. Your exact words were something like "I feel really, really confident that we screwed the pooch in a major way. We just flat out xxxxed up." I think you also said Alex Smith and Matt Leinhart had stamps of approvals from their coaches because the teams passed on Clausen. Clausen was the crown jewel of this draft according to you, Peter King, Mel Kiper and the developed economies of the world. LOL.

    It was a lot more than just you wanting to see a local kid do good. You had this kid at the top of the draft because you thought he was going to rock the NFL.

    Well, modesty is an issue with me. I'm trying to overcome it.

    I did rank him above McCoy... but I mentioned the hometown angle and his relationship with my son about 198 times. To the point that I got teased about it. You may have left the board around that time, DD. Is what it is.

    My point is that I let my hometown loyalties/connections shade my otherwise impeccable scouting acumen (NOTE: SARCASM). I don't believe Curry and Alo are from the same place.

    And he started it. Those in glass houses and all that. Ka-bash.

    @shepwrite said:

    I did rank him above McCoy... but I mentioned the hometown angle and his relationship with my son about 198 times. To the point that I got teased about it. You may have left the board around that time, DD. Is what it is.

    I will have to go back and dig up the plethora of posts that you detailed why he was the best QB the Browns needed to take, and why they were dumb for not taking him, and it was nothing to do with his friendships with your son or his hometown. You were head over heals in love with this kid, and were lamenting the stupidity of 31 owners and how not only the Browns but those other teams have made a colossal mistake of gargantuan proportions. You got teased because he was a homeboy, but that is not why you liked him and you pounded your fists demanding that people stop posting that you like him because he lived near you, but that you thought he was the next Messiah QB like ...... Leinhart and Alex Smith and Rex Grossman and Brady Quinn and Joey Harrington and ect......

    Trust me. Instead of reinventing the past just state you were really, really off on this pick and move on. Don't hitch the mistake to some made up "he was from my hometown and everyone knew that's why I liked him." LOL

  • We would have had to trade up for Curry, completely different than Rodgers, Jackson, or Bryant. Bryant was highly unlikely like you said because of maneuvering, and I really like TJ Ward, as I think all of us do. So it would be Ward or Bryant, and actually Ward and someone else or Bryant cause we woulda needed to trade up.

    I like the idea of AJ Green or Julio Jones, or maybe even Jonathan Baldwin and Ward instead of Bryant and someone else.

    Anyways, I agree, sometimes its the picks you dont make that show how good of evaluators your management really is.

    How about passing on Adrian Peterson, Gaines Adams, or anyone else in the 2007 draft for that matter. Yes, Peterson is the best RB in the league arguably, but I dont think he would have done what he has done with us if we picked him because we wouldnt have had arguably the best LT in the league.

    It is all about making the right picks, not the sexy picks.

  • @hoss said:

    I think you're being modest a bit in how hard you wanted the Browns to take Clausen. You never really said he was a buddy of your kid. Your exact words were something like "I feel really, really confident that we screwed the pooch in a major way. We just flat out xxxxed up." I think you also said Alex Smith and Matt Leinhart had stamps of approvals from their coaches because the teams passed on Clausen. Clausen was the crown jewel of this draft according to you, Peter King, Mel Kiper and the developed economies of the world. LOL.

    It was a lot more than just you wanting to see a local kid do good. You had this kid at the top of the draft because you thought he was going to rock the NFL.

    Well, modesty is an issue with me. I'm trying to overcome it.

    I did rank him above McCoy... but I mentioned the hometown angle and his relationship with my son about 198 times. To the point that I got teased about it. You may have left the board around that time, DD. Is what it is.

    My point is that I let my hometown loyalties/connections shade my otherwise impeccable scouting acumen (NOTE: SARCASM). I don't believe Curry and Alo are from the same place.

    And he started it. Those in glass houses and all that. Ka-bash.

    @shepwrite said:

    And he started it. Those in glass houses and all that. Ka-bash.

    Ah yes. The other guy always does..........

  • Dude, everybody knows how many times I defended Clausen based on people I know who know him and the way he behaved around my son. Nobody nowhere disputes that. I got teased about how many times I mentioned that Jack worked out with Clausen, Mays, Spiller, etc.

    It's not up for debate or anything. You sound quite a bit like a Desert Dawg with a bone. And yes, USC players have a great history in professional football!

    Somebody took unprovoked shots at me on another board, long after I left, and requested that he be similarly besmirched. That's life. You pay to play.

  • @shepwrite said:

    And he started it. Those in glass houses and all that. Ka-bash.

    Ah yes. The other guy always does..........

    @hoss said:

    Ah yes. The other guy always does..........

    Go check your board. It's just a fact. No "ah, yes" needed. He's e-mailed me and we're making up, but it was uncalled for and undeniably bitchy.

  • dis thread is da too funny.

    shep just say your qb insight was as far off as who knows what and then walk away from. (no excuses needed)why even bring it up?

  • We would have had to trade up for Curry, completely different than Rodgers, Jackson, or Bryant. Bryant was highly unlikely like you said because of maneuvering, and I really like TJ Ward, as I think all of us do. So it would be Ward or Bryant, and actually Ward and someone else or Bryant cause we woulda needed to trade up.

    I like the idea of AJ Green or Julio Jones, or maybe even Jonathan Baldwin and Ward instead of Bryant and someone else.

    Anyways, I agree, sometimes its the picks you dont make that show how good of evaluators your management really is.

    How about passing on Adrian Peterson, Gaines Adams, or anyone else in the 2007 draft for that matter. Yes, Peterson is the best RB in the league arguably, but I dont think he would have done what he has done with us if we picked him because we wouldnt have had arguably the best LT in the league.

    It is all about making the right picks, not the sexy picks.

    @clevelandbigdawg said:

    We would have had to trade up for Curry, completely different than Rodgers, Jackson, or Bryant. Bryant was highly unlikely like you said because of maneuvering, and I really like TJ Ward, as I think all of us do. So it would be Ward or Bryant, and actually Ward and someone else or Bryant cause we woulda needed to trade up.

    I like the idea of AJ Green or Julio Jones, or maybe even Jonathan Baldwin and Ward instead of Bryant and someone else.

    Anyways, I agree, sometimes its the picks you dont make that show how good of evaluators your management really is.

    How about passing on Adrian Peterson, Gaines Adams, or anyone else in the 2007 draft for that matter. Yes, Peterson is the best RB in the league arguably, but I dont think he would have done what he has done with us if we picked him because we wouldnt have had arguably the best LT in the league.

    It is all about making the right picks, not the sexy picks.

    Agree. Whenever I do the Monday Morning Quarterback thing on the draft, I have to remind myself that it's rarely that simple. And you're right about Curry... he wouldn't have been there with our pick.

    I wanted Rodgers and Vincent Jackson in the Bray-Bray draft... and read later that it was a very serious consideration. The Browns loved Jackson. They also tried to trade up to get Bryant, and if they had, they wouldn't have drafted Ward.

  • dis thread is da too funny.

    shep just say your qb insight was as far off as who knows what and then walk away from. (no excuses needed)why even bring it up?

    @hammertime said:

    dis thread is da too funny.

    shep just say your qb insight was as far off as who knows what and then walk away from. (no excuses needed)why even bring it up?

    I didn't.

  • @hammertime said:

    dis thread is da too funny.

    shep just say your qb insight was as far off as who knows what and then walk away from. (no excuses needed)why even bring it up?

    I didn't.

    @shepwrite said:

    I didn't.

    i guess you didn't but the door was opened u stepped right in.

    is your kids season finished yet?

  • @shepwrite said:

    I did rank him above McCoy... but I mentioned the hometown angle and his relationship with my son about 198 times. To the point that I got teased about it. You may have left the board around that time, DD. Is what it is.

    I will have to go back and dig up the plethora of posts that you detailed why he was the best QB the Browns needed to take, and why they were dumb for not taking him, and it was nothing to do with his friendships with your son or his hometown. You were head over heals in love with this kid, and were lamenting the stupidity of 31 owners and how not only the Browns but those other teams have made a colossal mistake of gargantuan proportions. You got teased because he was a homeboy, but that is not why you liked him and you pounded your fists demanding that people stop posting that you like him because he lived near you, but that you thought he was the next Messiah QB like ...... Leinhart and Alex Smith and Rex Grossman and Brady Quinn and Joey Harrington and ect......

    Trust me. Instead of reinventing the past just state you were really, really off on this pick and move on. Don't hitch the mistake to some made up "he was from my hometown and everyone knew that's why I liked him." LOL

    @hoss said:

    Trust me. Instead of reinventing the past just state you were really, really off on this pick and move on. Don't hitch the mistake to some made up "he was from my hometown and everyone knew that's why I liked him." LOL

    C'mon, be real. I've said a million times that I've watched Clausen for the Panthers, he looks like shit, and I'm glad I'm not in charge. I've also said McCoy is WAY better than what I watched on film. I'm pretty damn open about my misses. I don't mind.

    But the truth is the truth: Leinart was a Trojan and Clausen is local. I'm a horrible GM candidate because I'm a fan first, at every level.

    You brought it up, not me. I was talking about Aaron Curry (!). And that has nothing to do with you. Why did you bring up Clausen, given that the person I was firing back at already did? What's your bone in this?

    Score's even. Stay out of it.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I didn't.

    i guess you didn't but the door was opened u stepped right in.

    is your kids season finished yet?

    @hammertime said:

    i guess you didn't but the door was opened u stepped right in.

    is your kids season finished yet?

    Well, to open this up: Alo dredged up an old thread on the other board to make me look bad. Anybody could do that to anybody who writes about the draft a lot. Alo himself would be an easy target. But so would Kiper, McShay, and all of them.

    But he did it... and then added a few personal insults. All on a board I left two months ago. It was pretty backstabby. Without any of the insults and with a sense of humor, I fired back on one of his big misses on THIS board. Even Steven. Fair is fair. Hoss dove in uninvited and unnecessarily.

    But I had to at least respond.

    The Warriors won their first playoff game 58-8 in the asshole of California, Palmdale. They play Palos Verdes at Westlake Friday night. If they win, they'll get the big rematch with St. Bonny at home. We beat them in the semis last year, they beat us in the regular season in double overtime (they went for 2)... and this is the rubber match. The winner probably plays Oaks Christian in the championship.

    Don't wana jinx, it but it looks like Jack's getting the offer he wanted most.

    Oh, the game is on a live webcast at 7 Friday and Jack's #23, linebacker and all specials: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/westlake-war...ootball-network

  • dis thread is da too funny.

    shep just say your qb insight was as far off as who knows what and then walk away from. (no excuses needed)why even bring it up?

    @hammertime said:

    dis thread is da too funny.

    dis...or sumtin

  • @hammertime said:

    i guess you didn't but the door was opened u stepped right in.

    is your kids season finished yet?

    Well, to open this up: Alo dredged up an old thread on the other board to make me look bad. Anybody could do that to anybody who writes about the draft a lot. Alo himself would be an easy target. But so would Kiper, McShay, and all of them.

    But he did it... and then added a few personal insults. All on a board I left two months ago. It was pretty backstabby. Without any of the insults and with a sense of humor, I fired back on one of his big misses on THIS board. Even Steven. Fair is fair. Hoss dove in uninvited and unnecessarily.

    But I had to at least respond.

    The Warriors won their first playoff game 58-8 in the asshole of California, Palmdale. They play Palos Verdes at Westlake Friday night. If they win, they'll get the big rematch with St. Bonny at home. We beat them in the semis last year, they beat us in the regular season in double overtime (they went for 2)... and this is the rubber match. The winner probably plays Oaks Christian in the championship.

    Don't wana jinx, it but it looks like Jack's getting the offer he wanted most.

    Oh, the game is on a live webcast at 7 Friday and Jack's #23, linebacker and all specials: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/westlake-war...ootball-network

    @shepwrite said:

    Well, to open this up: Alo dredged up an old thread on the other board to make me look bad. Anybody could do that to anybody who writes about the draft a lot. Alo himself would be an easy target. But so would Kiper, McShay, and all of them.

    He could have hand picked from 100 different threads and they all would have said the same thing. Clausen is the man, Dez Bryant rocks, Taylor Mays is a stud, etc. Dez is working out pretty well, the other two aren't. Just imagine our defensive backfield without TJ Ward and Joe Haden. We would be 0-10 right now.

    I think the message here is admit your mistakes and move on. You've always had a big problem admitting when you've been wrong. I was straight up wrong about Mark Sanchez and as happy as I am with Mack I'd prefer to have the big time franchise QB. I'd love to see you just once congratulate the Browns on what they did instead of what you think they should have done.

  • Drama -- that should be your screen name. LOL

    Somebody close this thread before he has another breakdown......

  • @shepwrite said:

    Well, to open this up: Alo dredged up an old thread on the other board to make me look bad. Anybody could do that to anybody who writes about the draft a lot. Alo himself would be an easy target. But so would Kiper, McShay, and all of them.

    He could have hand picked from 100 different threads and they all would have said the same thing. Clausen is the man, Dez Bryant rocks, Taylor Mays is a stud, etc. Dez is working out pretty well, the other two aren't. Just imagine our defensive backfield without TJ Ward and Joe Haden. We would be 0-10 right now.

    I think the message here is admit your mistakes and move on. You've always had a big problem admitting when you've been wrong. I was straight up wrong about Mark Sanchez and as happy as I am with Mack I'd prefer to have the big time franchise QB. I'd love to see you just once congratulate the Browns on what they did instead of what you think they should have done.

    @samoth said:

    He could have hand picked from 100 different threads and they all would have said the same thing. Clausen is the man, Dez Bryant rocks, Taylor Mays is a stud, etc. Dez is working out pretty well, the other two aren't. Just imagine our defensive backfield without TJ Ward and Joe Haden. We would be 0-10 right now.

    I think the message here is admit your mistakes and move on. You've always had a big problem admitting when you've been wrong. I was straight up wrong about Mark Sanchez and as happy as I am with Mack I'd prefer to have the big time franchise QB. I'd love to see you just once congratulate the Browns on what they did instead of what you think they should have done.

    That would work, Sam, if I had started it by dredging up old draft threads (again... easy to do with anybody). But I didn't. Someone else did. So who isn't moving on?

    Exactly. I wasn't the one who started the looking back... I just fired back. He says Clausen, I say Curry. Done, right? Even Steven?

    But noooooo...

    If somebody goes after you, you fire back, right? That's the game. They shouldn't act surprised.

  • In hindsight, it probably was a bad idea to bring up old draft stuff.

    My intention wasn't to point out who was wrong or right -- it's way too soon to know about the '09 and '10 guys. Instead, it was that we shouldn't get too crazy about our draft opinions...and I say that as someone who spends hours and hours studying these guys before making my case.

  • A Alo

    In hindsight, it probably was a bad idea to bring up old draft stuff.

    My intention wasn't to point out who was wrong or right -- it's way too soon to know about the '09 and '10 guys. Instead, it was that we shouldn't get too crazy about our draft opinions...and I say that as someone who spends hours and hours studying these guys before making my case.

    @alo said:

    In hindsight, it probably was a bad idea to bring up old draft stuff.

    My intention wasn't to point out who was wrong or right -- it's way too soon to know about the '09 and '10 guys. Instead, it was that we shouldn't get too crazy about our draft opinions...and I say that as someone who spends hours and hours studying these guys before making my case.

    Peace, brother. I love your draft stuff and I'm actually a huge fan. To me, draft banter is like Vegas: It stays there, because everybody's wrong plenty, even the experts. But it's fun while you're there.

    Truth is, you can study relentlessly and make a very logical, very informed decision... and still be wrong. Happens all the time. Sometimes it just doesn't make any sense. Then add in that I'm fairly incapable of separating what I want to be true with what I actually believe will happen... and I miss plenty, in spite of taking in a ton of information.

    Point: Peace. And thanks. When we fight, the kids get upset.

  • Im gonna be the first to admit i thought Vernohn Ghoulston was going to be a beast,lol guess i missed that one as well

  • Zombo said:

    Is that board still around??

    I thought all the He Said / She Said cliquey drama would have killed it by now.

    Zombo

    --Got a headache halfway through this thread.

    I agree....don't bring it back here.

    I will stick up for Shep here....it seems a few follow him around. If he shows up over here, all of a sudden a few others do bringing up stuff from other boards.

    How about talking football??