Vikings fire Childress; Frazier named coach
-
Ever since the waiving of Randy Moss(notes) revealed a deep schism in the Minnesota Vikings locker room, it became a matter of when, not if, Brad Childress would follow Moss out the door. "When" came on Monday morning.
The Vikings fired Childress one day after the team's uninspired 31-3 loss to the Green Bay Packers. The loss dropped Minnesota to 3-7 and effectively ended any chance the team had at a miracle run to the playoffs.
Childress paid the price.
It was a long time coming for the 54-year-old coach, who was in his fifth season with the team. Despite making it to the NFC Championship game last season and coming within a Brett Favre(notes) interception of advancing to the Super Bowl, Childress fell out of favor in Minnesota with his handling of the Moss situation. In reality, though, he had lost the team long before.
His desperate attempts to lure Favre out of retirement this summer had rubbed many on the team the wrong way. When Favre played like the beat-up, 41-year-old he is, it only increased the level of scrutiny on Childress. Then the Moss incident happened, in which Childress reportedly cut the receiver after trading for him and didn't tell anyone in the front office about it. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf was reportedly displeased and considered firing Childress on the spot, but ended up giving his coach a chance to right the sinking ship.
A comeback win in the week following the Moss waiving gave Childress a stay of execution, but two division losses to the Chicago Bears and Packers sealed his fate. The Vikings looked bad against the Bears. In Sunday's game against Green Bay, the team looked like it quit on its coach.
Childress was known to be unpopular in the locker room, but that's not always the bad thing some make it out to be. Lots of good coaches aren't loved by players. The problem in this circumstance was that the dislike of Childress bordered on disrespect. In the days after cutting Moss, a report surfaced that six players told a reporter they wanted Childress fired.
Now the Vikings will turn to defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and hope that getting some new blood at head coach will help turn around the season, just like it did in Dallas.
-
Childress worked directly for Holmgren, right? He seems like a bit of a tool, though. I'd rather have Gruden.
-
Childress worked directly for Holmgren, right? He seems like a bit of a tool, though. I'd rather have Gruden.
Childress worked directly for Holmgren, right? He seems like a bit of a tool, though. I'd rather have Gruden.
I have a feeling the Vikings may be gunning for Gruden. He is the only young and legit available coach.
-
Childress worked directly for Holmgren, right? He seems like a bit of a tool, though. I'd rather have Gruden.
I have a feeling the Vikings may be gunning for Gruden. He is the only young and legit available coach.
I have a feeling the Vikings may be gunning for Gruden. He is the only young and legit available coach.
I'd cut drama queen Favre and go back to being Peterson's team!
-
Childress worked directly for Holmgren, right? He seems like a bit of a tool, though. I'd rather have Gruden.
I have a feeling the Vikings may be gunning for Gruden. He is the only young and legit available coach.
I have a feeling the Vikings may be gunning for Gruden. He is the only young and legit available coach.
They could be looking at our GM too...
-
I have a feeling the Vikings may be gunning for Gruden. He is the only young and legit available coach.
I'd cut drama queen Favre and go back to being Peterson's team!
I'd cut drama queen Favre and go back to being Peterson's team!
Couldn't agree more. Favre should be benched and Tarvaris Jackson should start the last 6 games. Favre WON'T be there next year, and his time has finally come. That's what happens when you miss training camp and consider yourself above the team. In the NFL, you get embarrassed.
-
Yeah, but they don't have Holmgren and they do have a huge hole at QB now. They also have a WR about to get rich, maybe somewhere else, and an aging DL. That window may be closing.
-
Childress worked directly for Holmgren, right? He seems like a bit of a tool, though. I'd rather have Gruden.
Childress worked directly for Holmgren, right? He seems like a bit of a tool, though. I'd rather have Gruden.
Do you listen to Gruden calling games? He is a tool. I don't want either coaching my team.
I think Gruden is over rated. Childress has always sucked, Favre bought him more time last season.
-
Can't say I actually LIKE Chuckie... he seems like he's playing a "tough guy" role sometimes, complete with exaggerated scowls and other expressions... but I do think he's an excellent coach who understands the game. His riff on the QB position recently sounded a lot like Holmgren.
-
Childress worked directly for Holmgren, right? He seems like a bit of a tool, though. I'd rather have Gruden.
Do you listen to Gruden calling games? He is a tool. I don't want either coaching my team.
I think Gruden is over rated. Childress has always sucked, Favre bought him more time last season.
Do you listen to Gruden calling games? He is a tool. I don't want either coaching my team.
I think Gruden is over rated. Childress has always sucked, Favre bought him more time last season.
I dont like having an anti-fan anti- progress warty toad for a coach but we have one...
Tools win and warts just suck all the way around!
-
gruden has a career .540 record as head coach regular season. .556 post season. so he's basically just above a .500 coach. yes over rated.
-
I used to like Favre, back when he was a Packer. Thought of him as an oldschool tough gunslinger type QB. Little did we know he was a huge attention diva whore. He decimated his legacy. He is a lock first ballot HoF'er. But these last few years have tarnished him.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login