Tuesday Trivia
-
Neither Cleveland or Carolina have ever won a Super Bowl, so there is your answer to question #1.
Colt12 said:
Neither Cleveland or Carolina have ever won a Super Bowl, so there is your answer to question #1.No, because that is not unique to Carolina vs. Cleveland. (about half the teams in the NFL have never won a SB: Bills, Eagles, Bengals, Lions, Titans, Panthers, Jags, Vikings, Texans, Cardinals, Chargers, Seahawks in addition to Browns and Panthers)
-
"Animal" Head coaches in NFL history:
Clem Crow(e)
Bob Dove
Guil Falcon
Jack Fish
John Fox
Hal Griffin (mythical animals count?)
Leo Lyons
Carl Storck
Ron Wolf was only ever a GM or personell guy, not a HC
-
Zombo said:
#2 an #5 have been answered, so I'll take a stab at the rest...1. I'm stumped, got to think about it.
3. Tim Biakabututu (sp) from Mich. I can picture the Ohio st. guy but can't name him, big guy ... Wells?
Biakabatuka is correct. Not Wells.
5. Led an expansion team to Super Bowl in thier first 10 years?
That is not the answer I had in mind, but it may indeed be a semi-technically correct answer.
In reviewing SB history, I find that the ONLY teams that made the Super Bowl in their first 10 years of existance are:
1. The Dolphins in 1971 under Don Shula. The Dolphin franchise came into existance in 1966
2. The Panthers in 2003 under Fox. They came into existance in 1995
3. The Baltimore Ravens under Brian Billick in 2000. If you buy the theory that the Ravens were an existing franchise (fka the Browns) then only the Dolphins and Panthers would count for going to the SB in their 1st 10 years.
Some of the "wrong" answers give to this trivia have led to interesting subjects as much as the questions themselves.
-
"Animal" Head coaches in NFL history:
Clem Crow(e)
Bob Dove
Guil Falcon
Jack Fish
John Fox
Hal Griffin (mythical animals count?)
Leo Lyons
Carl Storck
Ron Wolf was only ever a GM or personell guy, not a HC
"Animal" Head coaches in NFL history:
Clem Crow(e)
Bob Dove
Guil Falcon
Jack Fish
John Fox
Hal Griffin (mythical animals count?)
Leo Lyons
Carl Storck
Ron Wolf was only ever a GM or personell guy, not a HC
The Tuna..if nicknames count.
-
Gipper, where have you been?
-
1. Cleveland had a pro football team in 1926 called the Panthers?
4. Both Fox and Tony Dungy were defensive back coaches for the Steelers?
1. Cleveland had a pro football team in 1926 called the Panthers?
That is again is not what I had in mind, but in a sense it too could be considered a correct answer. There was a semi-pro team called the Cleveland Panthers...AND, be aware that the original name chosen for the Browns was in fact "The Panthers" but that name was rejected by Paul Brown. So, good point, but not what I am looking for.
4. Both Fox and Tony Dungy were defensive back coaches for the Steelers?
No, somewhere along the line I believe another defensive back coach for the Steelers became a HC in the NFL. (In fact, I think Chuck Noll may have held that position)
-
Gipper, where have you been?
Gipper, where have you been?
I was on vacation last week: Puerto Vallarta.
-
Gipper, where have you been?
I was on vacation last week: Puerto Vallarta.
I was on vacation last week: Puerto Vallarta.
Nice. Hope you had fun. Welcome back. Just in time for the snow, LOL!
-
The lyrics are from a french song about the Franco-Prussian war of 1871(?). Why OSU uses that as a fight song, I've never understood.....
-
OK to summarize where we stand, we got Vinny Testaverde as the answer to #2, Kerry Collins as the answer to #5, and half of #3 with Biakabatuka being from Michigan. We need:
A. The event that those French lyrics are associated with.
1. The unique distinction that the Carolina Panthers hold in history vis a vis the Cleveland Browns
3. The former OSU player that led the Panthers in rushing for a season
5. What unique distinction John Fox holds with only 1 other NFL coach in NFL history.
-
OK to summarize where we stand, we got Vinny Testaverde as the answer to #2, Kerry Collins as the answer to #5, and half of #3 with Biakabatuka being from Michigan. We need:
A. The event that those French lyrics are associated with.
1. The unique distinction that the Carolina Panthers hold in history vis a vis the Cleveland Browns
3. The former OSU player that led the Panthers in rushing for a season
5. What unique distinction John Fox holds with only 1 other NFL coach in NFL history.
OK to summarize where we stand, we got Vinny Testaverde as the answer to #2, Kerry Collins as the answer to #5, and half of #3 with Biakabatuka being from Michigan. We need:
A. The event that those French lyrics are associated with.
1. The unique distinction that the Carolina Panthers hold in history vis a vis the Cleveland Browns
3. The former OSU player that led the Panthers in rushing for a season
Vince Workman?
5. What unique distinction John Fox holds with only 1 other NFL coach in NFL history.
-
3. The former OSU player that led the Panthers in rushing for a season
Vince Workman?
Vince Workman did play for the Panthers, but he did not lead them in rushing in a season. The answer is someone else.
-
OK to summarize where we stand, we got Vinny Testaverde as the answer to #2, Kerry Collins as the answer to #5, and half of #3 with Biakabatuka being from Michigan. We need:
A. The event that those French lyrics are associated with.
1. The unique distinction that the Carolina Panthers hold in history vis a vis the Cleveland Browns
3. The former OSU player that led the Panthers in rushing for a season
5. What unique distinction John Fox holds with only 1 other NFL coach in NFL history.
OK to summarize where we stand, we got Vinny Testaverde as the answer to #2, Kerry Collins as the answer to #5, and half of #3 with Biakabatuka being from Michigan. We need:
A. The event that those French lyrics are associated with.
1. The unique distinction that the Carolina Panthers hold in history vis a vis the Cleveland Browns
3. The former OSU player that led the Panthers in rushing for a season
NICK GOINGS
5. What unique distinction John Fox holds with only 1 other NFL coach in NFL history.
Both he and Tony Dungy coached under Chuck Noll and coached their own team in the Super Bowl? Or it could be these two are the only HC's from Noll's tree?
-
Here are the rest of the questions on Tuesday Trivia:
1. What unique distinction in history do the Carolina Panthers hold in respect to their relationship with the Browns?
2. Besides Jake Delhomme what other former Browns QB was the leading passer for a season for the Carolina Panthers?
3. The Panthers in their history have had a running back from both Ohio State and Michigan lead them in rushing for 1 season or more. Name these running backs.
4. What unique distinction does Panthers Head Coach John Fox share with only 1 other person who has been a head coach in NFL history?
5. Who was the 1st player drafted in Carolina Panthers history?
That's it, Just 5 questions.
Here are the rest of the questions on Tuesday Trivia:
Here are the final answers on the Trivia:
A. The lyrics are to "La Regiment" which is the tune played by the Ohio State Band during the performance of Script Ohio.
1. What unique distinction in history do the Carolina Panthers hold in respect to their relationship with the Browns?
The Panthers are the only team the Browns have ever played that they have never defeated, including defunct teams like from the AAFC. They are 0-3 against the Panthers. Of course, our anticipation is that that will all change on Sunday.
2. Besides Jake Delhomme what other former Browns QB was the leading passer for a season for the Carolina Panthers?
Vinny Testaverde is correct. He was the Panthers leading passer (yards) in 2007...which I believe was his final year.
3. The Panthers in their history have had a running back from both Ohio State and Michigan lead them in rushing for 1 season or more. Name these running backs.
Tim Biakabatuka, former Wolverine, was the Panthers leading rusher in at least 2 seasons and yes, Nick Goings, former Buckeye was their leading rusher one year.
4. What unique distinction does Panthers Head Coach John Fox share with only 1 other person who has been a head coach in NFL history?
John Fox and Pop Ivy who coached the Steelers and the Cardinals in the 40s are the only 2 head coaches in NFL history whose surnames consist of only 3 letters.
5. Who was the 1st player drafted in Carolina Panthers history?
Kerry Collins who is still in the league over 15 years later. He is now with the Titans.
That's it, Just 5 questions.
-
4. Both Fox and Tony Dungy were defensive back coaches for the Steelers?
No, somewhere along the line I believe another defensive back coach for the Steelers became a HC in the NFL. (In fact, I think Chuck Noll may have held that position)
Whether this answer may be correct, I do not know. I will only say that Chuck Noll was not a defensive backfield coach for the Steelers. He was however a defensive backfield coach ....for both the Chargers and the Colts before becoming the Steelers HC.
-
4. Both Fox and Tony Dungy were defensive back coaches for the Steelers?
No, somewhere along the line I believe another defensive back coach for the Steelers became a HC in the NFL. (In fact, I think Chuck Noll may have held that position)
Whether this answer may be correct, I do not know. I will only say that Chuck Noll was not a defensive backfield coach for the Steelers. He was however a defensive backfield coach ....for both the Chargers and the Colts before becoming the Steelers HC.
4. Both Fox and Tony Dungy were defensive back coaches for the Steelers?
No, somewhere along the line I believe another defensive back coach for the Steelers became a HC in the NFL. (In fact, I think Chuck Noll may have held that position)
Whether this answer may be correct, I do not know. I will only say that Chuck Noll was not a defensive backfield coach for the Steelers. He was however a defensive backfield coach ....for both the Chargers and the Colts before becoming the Steelers HC.
I was too late to finish answering the 'Script Ohio' question, was out of town for Thanksgiving. Do you have any idea at all Gip as to how that song came to be used by Ohio State?
As to the defensive back coaches question above, the answer would be Dick Lebeau. He started as the Steelers DB coach, then became DC, then went to Cincinatti as HC.
What's funny on that is that Dungy hired Tomlin to be his DB in Tampa. And Pittsburgh's last three head coaches have all been DB coaches. They haven't had a coach from the offensive side all these years.
-
4. Both Fox and Tony Dungy were defensive back coaches for the Steelers?
No, somewhere along the line I believe another defensive back coach for the Steelers became a HC in the NFL. (In fact, I think Chuck Noll may have held that position)
Whether this answer may be correct, I do not know. I will only say that Chuck Noll was not a defensive backfield coach for the Steelers. He was however a defensive backfield coach ....for both the Chargers and the Colts before becoming the Steelers HC.
I was too late to finish answering the 'Script Ohio' question, was out of town for Thanksgiving. Do you have any idea at all Gip as to how that song came to be used by Ohio State?
As to the defensive back coaches question above, the answer would be Dick Lebeau. He started as the Steelers DB coach, then became DC, then went to Cincinatti as HC.
What's funny on that is that Dungy hired Tomlin to be his DB in Tampa. And Pittsburgh's last three head coaches have all been DB coaches. They haven't had a coach from the offensive side all these years.
I was too late to finish answering the 'Script Ohio' question, was out of town for Thanksgiving. Do you have any idea at all Gip as to how that song came to be used by Ohio State?
As to the defensive back coaches question above, the answer would be Dick Lebeau. He started as the Steelers DB coach, then became DC, then went to Cincinatti as HC.
What's funny on that is that Dungy hired Tomlin to be his DB in Tampa. And Pittsburgh's last three head coaches have all been DB coaches. They haven't had a coach from the offensive side all these years.
I don't think Cowher was a Defensive Backs coach, was he? He was the Special teams coach here. And maybe a DC, but was he ever a DB coach?
-
I was too late to finish answering the 'Script Ohio' question, was out of town for Thanksgiving. Do you have any idea at all Gip as to how that song came to be used by Ohio State?
As to the defensive back coaches question above, the answer would be Dick Lebeau. He started as the Steelers DB coach, then became DC, then went to Cincinatti as HC.
What's funny on that is that Dungy hired Tomlin to be his DB in Tampa. And Pittsburgh's last three head coaches have all been DB coaches. They haven't had a coach from the offensive side all these years.
I don't think Cowher was a Defensive Backs coach, was he? He was the Special teams coach here. And maybe a DC, but was he ever a DB coach?
I don't think Cowher was a Defensive Backs coach, was he? He was the Special teams coach here. And maybe a DC, but was he ever a DB coach?
OK, I may be having a senior moment. Wasn't he the DB coach here in Cleveland his last year here? Then he went with Marty to KC to be the DC. Then on to Pittsburgh.
OK, I checked Pro-football-reference.com. They have him listed as the secondary coach in 1987 and 1988. I didn't think I was losing my mind, but any more I'm not sure. The other morning I buttered my hat and ate it, then put bread on my head to go to work....

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login