Skip to content

AJ Green next year

The Browns Board
35 19 2.7k
  • i've got news for you guys, aj green is a top three pick and we won't be in the top three. we would need to trade up to get him.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    i've got news for you guys, aj green is a top three pick and we won't be in the top three. we would need to trade up to get him.

    There isn't a doubt he is a top three talent, but needs outweigh talent at this point in the draft. Same reason Haden went to us. We needed a Corner and the Safety we wanted was already gone. On most mock drafts, they didn't have Haden going until like pick 20 which would have been the Steelers.

  • He's a top three talent... but there are a lot of mocks where the teams picking have bigger needs. He could easily fall to 7-10.

    I like Floyd a lot, but he does seem to have hammy issues. He's big and physical and goes up for the ball. But I'd take Green or Julio ahead of him. I think all five of these guys go in the top 40. It's a really good WR draft.

    @shepwrite said:

    He's a top three talent... but there are a lot of mocks where the teams picking have bigger needs. He could easily fall to 7-10. .

    We have bigger needs to, adding a vet WR in free agency is a better route to go. There's not much bang for your buck taking a WR high when you can get guys like Boldin for a 3rd or Holmes for a 5th. Not to mention the success rate of picking one in the 1st rd. is extremely low.

  • I love aj green and julio jones.

    That said I also love leonard hankerson from miami. He reminds me a lot of andre johnson, who also went to the u!

    @wrrebel said:

    That said I also love leonard hankerson from miami. He reminds me a lot of andre johnson, who also went to the u!

    Hankerson's got a great work ethic, which will endear him to the Browns' coaching staff. But the drops can be maddening: he'll make a fantastic grab on one play, then drop an easy pass on the next one.

    @shepwrite said:

    I like Floyd a lot, but he does seem to have hammy issues. He's big and physical and goes up for the ball. But I'd take Green or Julio ahead of him.

    Floyd looks heavier and not as explosive this season. In addition, he had some ball security issues early in the season. I need to watch some more of him, but I haven't been impressed by what I've seen from him in 2010.

  • Broyles has speed but he isn't very big and he gets knocked off of his routes a LOT. He isn't a #1 receiver. We need an "X" receiver who is a big guy with speed who can take on double teams. Those don't grow on trees and Broyles isn't that guy.

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    i've got news for you guys, aj green is a top three pick and we won't be in the top three. we would need to trade up to get him.

    There isn't a doubt he is a top three talent, but needs outweigh talent at this point in the draft. Same reason Haden went to us. We needed a Corner and the Safety we wanted was already gone. On most mock drafts, they didn't have Haden going until like pick 20 which would have been the Steelers.

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    There isn't a doubt he is a top three talent, but needs outweigh talent at this point in the draft. Same reason Haden went to us. We needed a Corner and the Safety we wanted was already gone. On most mock drafts, they didn't have Haden going until like pick 20 which would have been the Steelers.

    touche.

  • Broyles has speed but he isn't very big and he gets knocked off of his routes a LOT. He isn't a #1 receiver. We need an "X" receiver who is a big guy with speed who can take on double teams. Those don't grow on trees and Broyles isn't that guy.

    @earl34 said:

    Broyles has speed but he isn't very big and he gets knocked off of his routes a LOT.

    I haven't watched the Texas game yet, but that doesn't match my evaluation of Broyles. He embarrassed a pretty good corner in Colorado CB Jalil Brown, and though he doesn't often face press coverage, he manages to beat it with quickness and pluck. Also, he explodes in and out of the breaks and effortlessly makes over the shoulder grabs. I think he makes Landry Jones look a lot better than he actually is, and I know many Sooner fans agree with me.

    Broyles will face a big test in the Big 12 title game matching up against Nebraska very good corners. We'll see if he manages to dispel any concerns that may have arisen from the Texas tape, just like Shipley may have done after getting beat down by Oklahoma CB Brian Jackson.

  • I don't know if he will come out this year or not. But I was really impressed with Marvin Mcnutt from Iowa. He is a big physical guy who you could get a lot later in the draft then the big names. I get very hesitant using a very valuable pick in the first round of the draft when so many of the leagues best WRs have been selected later in the draft.

    7 Marvin McNutt WR 6-4 215 JR ST. LOUIS, MO

    Rec. 51 Yards 798 TDs 8

    Even if it isn't McNutt, I really think we can find someone later in the draft and continue to use our first rounders on the Defensive side of the ball because we are so close to have a really good D. I really don't believe a rookie WR makes the team that much better in 2011 but man a kick ass DE like Bowers out of Clemson could instantly make our pass rush better.

    Also, this is my OSU homerism coming out but Dane Sazenbacher could be a later round steal and could be used in the Wes Welker role. He has great hands, runs great routes, and gets open. Not very big and couldn't be a number 1 but once again could be of great value later in the draft.

  • IMO, it's obvious that Julio Jones and A.J. Green will be stud NFL wide receivers out of this years draft. Our biggest need by far is WR, I don't think anyone can deny that at this point. It wasn't but two years ago we tried the waiting game on WR's for the second round, how did that work out for us? We don't need to wait around for a lesser talent again this year.

  • mikeyP72 said:

    Unrelated but I love the pic in your signature well done man!

    On topic: I want AJ Green or Julio Jones and I'm pretty sure one of them can/will be had. If we pass on WR with hopes of snagging one in the 2nd round I will go ballistic. Unless they want to try and take a gamble on Hankerson in the 2nd round (if he makes it to our pick); I could accept that gamble. Better than reaching for Brian Robiskie in the early 2nd round.

    Only way it works is if they plan to trade up from their #2 to get someone they love (maybe Broyles, maybe Floyd... who was very good against USC). But they were waiting on McCluster last year and it didn't happen, so I really think they need to take Green or Jones in that order. It feels like we'll draft somewhere around 10-ish... and if we can pick Haden at 7, we can certainly pick Julio at 10.

  • A.J. Green this year. Alshon if he comes out next year.

    Then our WR corps would be all SEC. Oh, baby...that's appealing.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    A.J. Green this year. Alshon if he comes out next year.

    Then our WR corps would be all SEC. Oh, baby...that's appealing.

    Why would that be appealing? The SEC guy we have now is hardly any better than the Big 10 guy or the MAC guy or the Big East guy we have. And look at the best WRs in the NFL. Are any of them SEC guys? Cal Johnson isn't. Roddy White isn't. Andre Johnson isn't. Larry Fitzgerald isn't.

    If this guy is any good I wouldn't give a damn what conference he played in.

  • It's just a footnote: Massoquoi and Green played together for a year. But I actually like Mo plenty at the #2 spot. Green brings some nice speed. I could see our 4-receiver set being those two and Watson/Moore much of the time, with Hillis representing a fifth. Whoever plays the slot (probably Stuckey) wouldn't be in as much as many slots.

  • Cleveland Browns AFC ACN 4 7 0 .364 216 229 -13 24 3-3 1-4 1-2 .333 2-5 .286 2-2 1W 3-2

    Minnesota Vikings NFC NCN 4 7 0 .364 189 239 -50 22 3-2 1-5 1-3 .250 4-4 .500 0-3 1W 2-3

    San Francisco 49ers NFC NCW 4 7 0 .364 187 225 -38 21 3-3 1-4 2-1 .667 2-6 .250 2-1 1W 3-2

    Arizona Cardinals NFC NCW 3 8 0 .273 194 319 -125 22 2-3 1-5 1-3 .250 2-6 .250 1-2 6L 0-5

    Dallas Cowboys NFC NCE 3 8 0 .273 256 301 -45 31 1-5 2-3 1-2 .333 2-6 .250 1-2 1L 2-3

    Denver Broncos AFC ACW 3 8 0 .273 250 323 -73 30 2-4 1-4 1-2 .333 2-6 .250 1-2 2L 1-4

    Buffalo Bills AFC ACE 2 9 0 .182 229 295 -66 28 1-5 1-4 0-3 .000 1-7 .125 1-2 1L 2-3

    Cincinnati Bengals AFC ACN 2 9 0 .182 225 288 -63 25 1-4 1-5 1-2 .333 1-7 .125 1-2 8L 0-5

    Detroit Lions NFC NCN 2 9 0 .182 258 282 -24 30 2-3 0-6 0-3 .000 2-6 .250 0-3 4L 1-4

    Carolina Panthers NFC

    Fer fun, here's the draft order if it was held tomorrow.

    I'll just go partway down the list, and let the rest of you speculate. The Panthers will take Luck in a heartbeat if he declares- If not BDP. Lions already have Calvin Johnson, so #1wr is not a glaring need. Bungles with TO and Stinko won't take one. Neither will the Cards or Vikes IMHO. So AG or Jones SHOULD be there when we draft.

  • It's just a footnote: Massoquoi and Green played together for a year. But I actually like Mo plenty at the #2 spot. Green brings some nice speed. I could see our 4-receiver set being those two and Watson/Moore much of the time, with Hillis representing a fifth. Whoever plays the slot (probably Stuckey) wouldn't be in as much as many slots.

    @shepwrite said:

    It's just a footnote: Massoquoi and Green played together for a year. But I actually like Mo plenty at the #2 spot. Green brings some nice speed. I could see our 4-receiver set being those two and Watson/Moore much of the time, with Hillis representing a fifth. Whoever plays the slot (probably Stuckey) wouldn't be in as much as many slots.

    Here's MoMass on twitter:

    Mohamed Massaquoi said:

    It's always funny to me when people ask who's the best college wideout? Is it even a question. Lil bruh hands down.

    The two of them constantly are tweeting one another. I think MoMass is something of a mentor to AJ: when Green was pouting on the sideline after one his drops in the '08 Bama game led to a pick, Massaquoi was the one who grabbed him by the shoulder pads & calmed him down.

  • Just a little tidbit: NFLDraftScout's Rob Rang says that Ryan Broyles reminds him of Joey Galloway. He projects Broyles as a late 1st round pick, should he declare for the draft.

  • I would wait a year if I could get Alshon Jeffery

  • Don't know Alshon... who is he? But we already waited a year. We can't waste another season with a huge hole at WR, not in a passing league.

  • A Alo

    Just a little tidbit: NFLDraftScout's Rob Rang says that Ryan Broyles reminds him of Joey Galloway. He projects Broyles as a late 1st round pick, should he declare for the draft.

    @alo said:

    Just a little tidbit: NFLDraftScout's Rob Rang says that Ryan Broyles reminds him of Joey Galloway. He projects Broyles as a late 1st round pick, should he declare for the draft.

    Sounds great... but I can't imagine the Browns passing on the top guys with no guarantee of getting Broyles.

  • Don't know Alshon... who is he? But we already waited a year. We can't waste another season with a huge hole at WR, not in a passing league.

    @shepwrite said:

    Don't know Alshon... who is he? But we already waited a year. We can't waste another season with a huge hole at WR, not in a passing league.

    South Carolina Sophmore.....can't come out for a year.

    He can't come out this.....just saying....he is a stud and a half....the others are just studs.

  • i wouldn't mind seeing us draft Cecil Shorts if he is still around in the 7th round. What the heck- i'm a homer.

  • I'd rather have a D-Lineman in the 1st and draft a WR prospect like Terrel Pryor around the 3rd round. Until we have THAT guy at QB, it doesn't matter who's running routes. Great QB's can make anybody look good.