Skip to content

Favorite TV/Radio Announcers for NFL

The Browns Board
42 24 2.3k
  • My all-time favorite is Gib Shanley-he could truly paint the picture for each play. Curt Gowdy was great as well.

    As far as today's announcers, I actually like Collinsworth for NFL & Chris Spielman for college games.

    Wow guys...I absolutely hated Dick Enberg, he could never put down the pom-poms for John Elway. I'm not too fond of Dierdorf either.

    B bringbackbrownie2 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @bob806 said:

    My all-time favorite is Gib Shanley-he could truly paint the picture for each play. Curt Gowdy was great as well.

    As far as today's announcers, I actually like Collinsworth for NFL & Chris Spielman for college games.

    Wow guys...I absolutely hated Dick Enberg, he could never put down the pom-poms for John Elway. I'm not too fond of Dierdorf either.

    Thank you! Someone with common sense! I was shocked to see all of the Enberg and Dierdorf love on this thread.. 2 of the worst commentators around. John Madden/ Pat Summerall was the best combo I have ever heard. Gus Johnson, Ian Eagle, and Dick Stockton are also pretty good..

    I also have to say that every CBS analyst on the NFL halftime show is terrible! They are all still biased towards their former teams: Cowher, Marino, Sharpe, and Esiason (the worst).. Of course 3 of them are from division rivals so that makes it 10 times worse.. On the other hand, the fox halftime show is great. Howie Long, Jimmie Johnson, and Strahan do a great job. Terry Bradshaw is actually bearable despite being a steeler homer, as he admittedly hates Rapelisburger and is embarrassed to be associated with the same team..

  • WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Enberg and merlin olsen together was my favorite.

    Madden was so over rated. Probably the most over rated announcer of all time.

    Collinsswoth and is raspy voice is top 5 worst for sure.

    Joe theismen, well I feel like breaking his leg also when listening to him.

    I agree with the cbs analyst being horrible. Shannon sharpe has to be the worst.

    I miss oj simpson as a sideline reporter, lt norberg!

  • TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound wrote on last edited by
    #22

    IAN EAGLE! Yes I may have a boner for his voice...haha im jk.

  • B BROWNandORANGE wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Suzy Kolber for the win! lol

  • Suzy Kolber for the win! lol

    TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Colt12 said:

    Suzy Kolber for the win! lol

    I'd pork her.

  • Colt12 said:

    Suzy Kolber for the win! lol

    I'd pork her.

    B BROWNandORANGE wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @theclevelandsound said:

    I'd pork her.

    lol, wouldn't we all? 😉

  • @theclevelandsound said:

    I'd pork her.

    lol, wouldn't we all? 😉

    TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Colt12 said:

    lol, wouldn't we all? 😉

    But as far as sideline reporters go, I am more of a Rachel Nicols/Erin Andrews fan.

  • Colt12 said:

    lol, wouldn't we all? 😉

    But as far as sideline reporters go, I am more of a Rachel Nicols/Erin Andrews fan.

    B BROWNandORANGE wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @theclevelandsound said:

    But as far as sideline reporters go, I am more of a Rachel Nicols/Erin Andrews fan.

    yeah, Erin Andrews hair pisses me off though, idk why, it looks like straw. Plus every time I see her, I think of that "peephole" video on the internet.

  • BrownB499B BrownB499 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    He's terribly awkward,and his voice is like gravel being shoveled,but I really enjoy Bernies' insight and amazing knowledge of the game.

    Always liked Frank Gifford...both Dandy Don and Alex Karas left the booth too early,they were great

    Jimmy's ok , but I really miss Gib, Nev,and Casey

    New guys all suck except Gus Johnson and Ian Eagle

  • I really like people that you can learn from. I really can't stand the Monday Night crew but sometimes listening to John Gruden talk is great. He will sometimes call a play before it happens and really gives an insight to the game even though he is some what annoying.

    I like Jim Nantz on whatever he is doing. To me he is probably the best overal announcer he does everything Golf, Tennis,

    Football, College Bball. Pretty amazing.

    The Italian DawgPoundT The Italian DawgPound wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @ischy said:

    I really like people that you can learn from. I really can't stand the Monday Night crew but sometimes listening to John Gruden talk is great. He will sometimes call a play before it happens and really gives an insight to the game even though he is some what annoying.

    I totally agree with you.

    Jon Gruden and Chris Collinsworth are my two favourite NFL commentators.

    In my opinion the current SNF and MNF announcers are the best in years. (Well, maybe not Jaws...).

  • B Booker wrote on last edited by
    #30

    I like Jaws. He's pretty solid.

    TV: Kevin Harlan, Gus Johnson, Jaws

    Radio: Greg Papa, Kevin Harlan

  • Suzy Kolber for the win! lol

    sisky fringoS sisky fringo wrote on last edited by sisky fringo
    #31

    Colt12 said:

    Suzy Kolber for the win! lol

    no thank you. something about her accent really bugs me. she and the gloved-glass-eye-guy add nothing to my experience.

    edit: WHAT'S GUD, STEWART!

    i can usually handle anyone except Phuck Simms and Dan Dickdorff. all the bias and Brownie hate over the years make me cringe at the mere thought of either of them calling a Browns game--i definitely prefer mute to hearing either of them.

    Ian Eagle is pretty solid>>>knows the Brownie players and remains pretty neutral. Solomon Wilcotts has fallen off a bit but used to be decent calling the Browns. Holt was terrrible last game imo.

    Jimmy D on the radio is all I've even known, and he's tops. he always knows the opponents roster up and down, nearly all tv guys could do a better job of this.

  • B Beanpot wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Great thread and even better choices already offered.

    I'll echo everyone on Gib, Nev and Donovan. We've been blessed to have such great radio talent.

    Growing up, I enjoyed Enberg more for what his voice meant (a BIG game) than what came out of it. He was also mostly even-keeled, which I liked as a kid. The ultimate get-out-of-the-way-and-let-the-game-speak-for-itself guy.

    And now I like the exact opposite of him, Gus Johnson. The man is simply a treasure.

    Another treasure was Bill King. Holy crap did that guy paint a picture:

    and

    Beanpot

  • B Beanpot wrote on last edited by Beanpot
    #33

    Zombo said:

    I hate Joe Buck. Absolutely hate him.

    Why FOX puts Buck and MCcarver on the World Series, I have no idea, neither guy is likeable at all.

    Zombo

    Couldn't possibly agree more. I don't mind McCarver so much, he offers opinions (no matter how dated they may be) and that suggests he's at least prepared for a broadcast. Buck doesn't even pretend to give a crap about the game below him. I don't share your hate for the guy (my love for the dad will forever trump my opinion of the son) but you're right when you call him unlikable. He's *exactly* that.

    Beanpot

  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
    #34

    First heard Al Micheals in the early 70's on WLW as Red's play by play man. His 20 year career on MNF will never be duplicated. Truely a class act and an american sports announcer icon. One of the all time

    greats.

  • E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Gus Johnson and Tim Ryan on TV.

    On radio, I do like the Browns' crew. I also like (and I'm sorry I'm a homer...) the voice of the Texas Longhorns, Craig Way. He epitomizes what I love in announcing. Doesn't say too much but says enough. He doesn't stumble over his words and his voice is smooooooth. I can't find a ton of his PbP online but here's a sample. The fact that he calls for my alma mater helps, I'm sure.

  • BodogjoeB Bodogjoe wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Family guys portrayal of Mcarver is remarkably accurate.

  • BrownsBackerB BrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Formerly Stone said:

    Donovan sounds like a little kid at his first NFL game, he flat out sucks!

    You sound like a little kid on his first internet forum, you flat out suck!

  • next2nothingN next2nothing wrote on last edited by next2nothing
    #38

    Dierdorf really annoys me for some reason.

    Every time he's announced a Browns game it seems he has this bias towards the Browns.

    At least to me, I don't know, maybe it's just in my head haha.

  • BodogjoeB Bodogjoe wrote on last edited by
    #39

    Dierdorfs analysis of the game is about as deep as a puddle. Hes so annoying. But nothing is worse then Torry Holt. That was a HUGE train wreck.