Skip to content

What do we need to do better on run defense??

The Browns Board
8 7 583
  • BrownsBackerB BrownsBacker wrote on last edited by BrownsBacker
    #1

    During EM's latest press conference he was asked, "What do you guys need to do better on run defense??" He responded "It starts with tackling."

    I was about to post a rant on our poor tackling the past few weeks, but I'm glad I listened to this first, obviously I'm not the only one to notice this (And what a positive it is that our coach can realize the obvious for once!")

    One thing that has hurt our run defense is obviously the absence of Fujita, but he is only one man, to me it seems like almost everyone is having problems. Theres nothing more aggravating to me than watching the Browns come up with missed and botched tackles. I'm glad Eric has recognized this and I really hope that tackling is hugely emphasized in Berea week in and week out.

  • During EM's latest press conference he was asked, "What do you guys need to do better on run defense??" He responded "It starts with tackling."

    I was about to post a rant on our poor tackling the past few weeks, but I'm glad I listened to this first, obviously I'm not the only one to notice this (And what a positive it is that our coach can realize the obvious for once!")

    One thing that has hurt our run defense is obviously the absence of Fujita, but he is only one man, to me it seems like almost everyone is having problems. Theres nothing more aggravating to me than watching the Browns come up with missed and botched tackles. I'm glad Eric has recognized this and I really hope that tackling is hugely emphasized in Berea week in and week out.

    E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
    #2

    @brownsbacker said:

    During EM's latest press conference he was asked, "What do you guys need to do better on run defense??" He responded "It starts with tackling."

    I was about to post a rant on our poor tackling the past few weeks, but I'm glad I listened to this first, obviously I'm not the only one to notice this (And what a positive it is that our coach can realize the obvious for once!")

    One thing that has hurt our run defense is obviously the absence of Fujita, but he is only one man, to me it seems like almost everyone is having problems. Theres nothing more aggravating to me than watching the Browns come up with missed and botched tackles. I'm glad Eric has recognized this and I really hope that tackling is hugely emphasized in Berea week in and week out.

    I agree but the one thing about the NFL is that no one teaches form tackling. First, they simply don't have time to be teaching these guys something that professional football players should KNOW. Second, while it may be emphasized in camp, you aren't going to be going full contact tackling drills with any team in December when you're nicked and bruised.

    Just my .02. I could be wrong.

  • @brownsbacker said:

    During EM's latest press conference he was asked, "What do you guys need to do better on run defense??" He responded "It starts with tackling."

    I was about to post a rant on our poor tackling the past few weeks, but I'm glad I listened to this first, obviously I'm not the only one to notice this (And what a positive it is that our coach can realize the obvious for once!")

    One thing that has hurt our run defense is obviously the absence of Fujita, but he is only one man, to me it seems like almost everyone is having problems. Theres nothing more aggravating to me than watching the Browns come up with missed and botched tackles. I'm glad Eric has recognized this and I really hope that tackling is hugely emphasized in Berea week in and week out.

    I agree but the one thing about the NFL is that no one teaches form tackling. First, they simply don't have time to be teaching these guys something that professional football players should KNOW. Second, while it may be emphasized in camp, you aren't going to be going full contact tackling drills with any team in December when you're nicked and bruised.

    Just my .02. I could be wrong.

    BUNSofSTEEL08B BUNSofSTEEL08 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @earl34 said:

    I agree but the one thing about the NFL is that no one teaches form tackling. First, they simply don't have time to be teaching these guys something that professional football players should KNOW. Second, while it may be emphasized in camp, you aren't going to be going full contact tackling drills with any team in December when you're nicked and bruised.

    Just my .02. I could be wrong.

    Get some Nasty A** Mean defensive players.

  • sisky fringoS sisky fringo wrote on last edited by
    #4

    there has been emphasis the past few weeks, with tackling drills dominating recent practices. David Bowens spoke on it recently. let's hope it brings some positive results tomorrow on the pothead. that dude's a beast and pretty hard to bring down, they'll need it.

  • N NW Ohio Brownie wrote on last edited by
    #5

    We are also missing playmakers at inside linebacker.

    Rubin has done his job and then some at nose, so it's on Barton and Gocong here. I think Gocong is out of position and Barton is just mediocre. We really need to upgrade this for next year. Now, that could come in the form of a healthy DQJ and the draft/free agency, but DQJ's health is iffy and we have more pressing needs at other areas on the field (WR, secondary, interior OL).

  • We are also missing playmakers at inside linebacker.

    Rubin has done his job and then some at nose, so it's on Barton and Gocong here. I think Gocong is out of position and Barton is just mediocre. We really need to upgrade this for next year. Now, that could come in the form of a healthy DQJ and the draft/free agency, but DQJ's health is iffy and we have more pressing needs at other areas on the field (WR, secondary, interior OL).

    sisky fringoS sisky fringo wrote on last edited by sisky fringo
    #6

    @nw-ohio-brownie said:

    We are also missing playmakers at inside linebacker.

    Rubin has done his job and then some at nose, so it's on Barton and Gocong here. I think Gocong is out of position and Barton is just mediocre. We really need to upgrade this for next year. Now, that could come in the form of a healthy DQJ and the draft/free agency, but DQJ's health is iffy and we have more pressing needs at other areas on the field (WR, secondary, interior OL).

    Maiava will be year 3, can't count him out. he has pretty decent agility/coverage skills for a LB and tackles well too.

  • NewEraDawgN NewEraDawg wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Well if we continue to louse it up on offense , it won't matter anyway . A good defense is the offense keeping ours fresh .

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Not having Fuje around is killing us.