Skip to content

colt McCoy

The Browns Board
25 16 2.0k
  • Just scrolled across ESPN that Delhomme is the starter against the Bills. The curse of the high ankle sprain in Cleveland continues. At least its better than the staph infection curse. I'm pretty sure high ankle sprains can't actually kill anyone.

  • Just scrolled across ESPN that Delhomme is the starter against the Bills. The curse of the high ankle sprain in Cleveland continues. At least its better than the staph infection curse. I'm pretty sure high ankle sprains can't actually kill anyone.

    @bonedawg said:

    Just scrolled across ESPN that Delhomme is the starter against the Bills. The curse of the high ankle sprain in Cleveland continues. At least its better than the staph infection curse. I'm pretty sure high ankle sprains can't actually kill anyone.

    The staph problem is something that gets attached to Cleveland and it's a little unfair. Every team in the league has had these types of infections. Two years ago, one team had five in the same season and it WASN'T the Browns.

  • McCoy sure looks like the future. The great ones have it from the neck up and Colt seems to have that same kind of composure and confidence. I am not completely sure he can make all the throws yet. I have to see him more in game situations throw the deep out, for example. He does not have a rocket arm, but hey, Spurgeon Wynn had a rifle. Not every great qb has a bazooka for a throwing arm, but there are plenty of failed QB's who did and they failed because they did not have the ability above the neck. McCoy has just as good an arm as Manning I think and it seems he understands how to play the position.

  • McCoy sure looks like the future. The great ones have it from the neck up and Colt seems to have that same kind of composure and confidence. I am not completely sure he can make all the throws yet. I have to see him more in game situations throw the deep out, for example. He does not have a rocket arm, but hey, Spurgeon Wynn had a rifle. Not every great qb has a bazooka for a throwing arm, but there are plenty of failed QB's who did and they failed because they did not have the ability above the neck. McCoy has just as good an arm as Manning I think and it seems he understands how to play the position.

    @thehammer said:

    McCoy sure looks like the future. The great ones have it from the neck up and Colt seems to have that same kind of composure and confidence. I am not completely sure he can make all the throws yet. I have to see him more in game situations throw the deep out, for example. He does not have a rocket arm, but hey, Spurgeon Wynn had a rifle. Not every great qb has a bazooka for a throwing arm, but there are plenty of failed QB's who did and they failed because they did not have the ability above the neck. McCoy has just as good an arm as Manning I think and it seems he understands how to play the position.

    I would give the edge to both Mannings on arm strength over Colt right now... although Colt seems to be continuing to ascend in that area. I'm betting by next season he has a Drew Brees arm, which is probably right at average.

  • @thehammer said:

    McCoy sure looks like the future. The great ones have it from the neck up and Colt seems to have that same kind of composure and confidence. I am not completely sure he can make all the throws yet. I have to see him more in game situations throw the deep out, for example. He does not have a rocket arm, but hey, Spurgeon Wynn had a rifle. Not every great qb has a bazooka for a throwing arm, but there are plenty of failed QB's who did and they failed because they did not have the ability above the neck. McCoy has just as good an arm as Manning I think and it seems he understands how to play the position.

    I would give the edge to both Mannings on arm strength over Colt right now... although Colt seems to be continuing to ascend in that area. I'm betting by next season he has a Drew Brees arm, which is probably right at average.

    @shepwrite said:

    I would give the edge to both Mannings on arm strength over Colt right now... although Colt seems to be continuing to ascend in that area. I'm betting by next season he has a Drew Brees arm, which is probably right at average.

    I think people have this all wrong. I think Colt has the "strength" to make all the throws, but he isn't yet comfortable making them all accurately yet. I'm sure he could bomb it 70 yards with no accuracy right now.

  • By the time Colt matures and gets more strength, maybe he'll actually have a receiver who can get separation after 20 yards and actually have a need to throw a huge bomb.

    For now, the chances he needs to throw a really deep ball are few and far between.

  • By the time Colt matures and gets more strength, maybe he'll actually have a receiver who can get separation after 20 yards and actually have a need to throw a huge bomb.

    For now, the chances he needs to throw a really deep ball are few and far between.

    @usfbrown said:

    By the time Colt matures and gets more strength, maybe he'll actually have a receiver who can get separation after 20 yards and actually have a need to throw a huge bomb.

    For now, the chances he needs to throw a really deep ball are few and far between.

    Seriously... When Ben Watson has 10 receptions and 100 yards against Miami with Delhomme. 5 yard passes are king.

  • @usfbrown said:

    By the time Colt matures and gets more strength, maybe he'll actually have a receiver who can get separation after 20 yards and actually have a need to throw a huge bomb.

    For now, the chances he needs to throw a really deep ball are few and far between.

    Seriously... When Ben Watson has 10 receptions and 100 yards against Miami with Delhomme. 5 yard passes are king.

    @loyalty said:

    Seriously... When Ben Watson has 10 receptions and 100 yards against Miami with Delhomme. 5 yard passes are king.

    Yeah... how many times has this happened? Without a true deep threat they stack the box. And we still almost lost.

    Now I originally didn't say anything about short vs long passing. All I said is by the time we get a true deep threat Colt should be stronger from maturity.

    Don't take things our of context... seriously.

  • @loyalty said:

    Seriously... When Ben Watson has 10 receptions and 100 yards against Miami with Delhomme. 5 yard passes are king.

    Yeah... how many times has this happened? Without a true deep threat they stack the box. And we still almost lost.

    Now I originally didn't say anything about short vs long passing. All I said is by the time we get a true deep threat Colt should be stronger from maturity.

    Don't take things our of context... seriously.

    @usfbrown said:

    Yeah... how many times has this happened? Without a true deep threat they stack the box. And we still almost lost.

    Now I originally didn't say anything about short vs long passing. All I said is by the time we get a true deep threat Colt should be stronger from maturity.

    Don't take things our of context... seriously.

    I wasn't disagreeing with you. Merely saying that you are right to say we have no real deep threat. I base that on the fact that Delhomme had one in Steve Smith at Carolina and clearly his targeting of TEs in Cleveland shows that there isn't that type of option yet.

  • @usfbrown said:

    Yeah... how many times has this happened? Without a true deep threat they stack the box. And we still almost lost.

    Now I originally didn't say anything about short vs long passing. All I said is by the time we get a true deep threat Colt should be stronger from maturity.

    Don't take things our of context... seriously.

    I wasn't disagreeing with you. Merely saying that you are right to say we have no real deep threat. I base that on the fact that Delhomme had one in Steve Smith at Carolina and clearly his targeting of TEs in Cleveland shows that there isn't that type of option yet.

    @loyalty said:

    I wasn't disagreeing with you. Merely saying that you are right to say we have no real deep threat. I base that on the fact that Delhomme had one in Steve Smith at Carolina and clearly his targeting of TEs in Cleveland shows that there isn't that type of option yet.

    My bad. Its hard to tell intent on the web. LOL.

  • I am not commenting on Colts arm strength because I think it is a major problem, but his arm isn't going to get much better then it is now.

    The guy has been a QB for a long time, and has probably been to dozens of camps where they teach arm strength, and has been to HS and College where all of that is worked on.

    He isn't going to all of a sudden develop any more zip than he has now....or enough to notice any real difference.

    In baseball terms, a 24 year old pitcher who throws 90 isn't going to somehow find a way to 99.

    Just won't happen.

  • I am not commenting on Colts arm strength because I think it is a major problem, but his arm isn't going to get much better then it is now.

    The guy has been a QB for a long time, and has probably been to dozens of camps where they teach arm strength, and has been to HS and College where all of that is worked on.

    He isn't going to all of a sudden develop any more zip than he has now....or enough to notice any real difference.

    In baseball terms, a 24 year old pitcher who throws 90 isn't going to somehow find a way to 99.

    Just won't happen.

    @ballpeen said:

    I am not commenting on Colts arm strength because I think it is a major problem, but his arm isn't going to get much better then it is now.

    The guy has been a QB for a long time, and has probably been to dozens of camps where they teach arm strength, and has been to HS and College where all of that is worked on.

    He isn't going to all of a sudden develop any more zip than he has now....or enough to notice any real difference.

    In baseball terms, a 24 year old pitcher who throws 90 isn't going to somehow find a way to 99.

    Just won't happen.

    I respectfully disagree. Colt is 24 and looks like he has some maturing to do. You can't tell me that a young kid is as strong as a full grown man. I'm not saying he'll be able to chuck it to Saturn, but I think he'll get a little more zip/strength as he grows.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I am not commenting on Colts arm strength because I think it is a major problem, but his arm isn't going to get much better then it is now.

    The guy has been a QB for a long time, and has probably been to dozens of camps where they teach arm strength, and has been to HS and College where all of that is worked on.

    He isn't going to all of a sudden develop any more zip than he has now....or enough to notice any real difference.

    In baseball terms, a 24 year old pitcher who throws 90 isn't going to somehow find a way to 99.

    Just won't happen.

    I respectfully disagree. Colt is 24 and looks like he has some maturing to do. You can't tell me that a young kid is as strong as a full grown man. I'm not saying he'll be able to chuck it to Saturn, but I think he'll get a little more zip/strength as he grows.

    @usfbrown said:

    I respectfully disagree. Colt is 24 and looks like he has some maturing to do. You can't tell me that a young kid is as strong as a full grown man. I'm not saying he'll be able to chuck it to Saturn, but I think he'll get a little more zip/strength as he grows.

    Hopefully, or we're in for years of TE's leading the team in receptions.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I am not commenting on Colts arm strength because I think it is a major problem, but his arm isn't going to get much better then it is now.

    The guy has been a QB for a long time, and has probably been to dozens of camps where they teach arm strength, and has been to HS and College where all of that is worked on.

    He isn't going to all of a sudden develop any more zip than he has now....or enough to notice any real difference.

    In baseball terms, a 24 year old pitcher who throws 90 isn't going to somehow find a way to 99.

    Just won't happen.

    I respectfully disagree. Colt is 24 and looks like he has some maturing to do. You can't tell me that a young kid is as strong as a full grown man. I'm not saying he'll be able to chuck it to Saturn, but I think he'll get a little more zip/strength as he grows.

    @usfbrown said:

    I respectfully disagree. Colt is 24 and looks like he has some maturing to do. You can't tell me that a young kid is as strong as a full grown man. I'm not saying he'll be able to chuck it to Saturn, but I think he'll get a little more zip/strength as he grows.

    Let's not pretend he's a stick or anything. The guy can bench 300. He came in to Texas at 170lbs and left 210. That's 40 pounds of muscle. I don't know how much room his frame has to fill out any more. It's not like Tom Brady coming out of Michigan; McCoy has been a gym rat for a long time.

    Anyways, it's all about how well your mechanics generate torque, leverage, etc. Core strength comes into play more than your arm itself. Kind of like arm wrestling.

    If you don't have as much zip on the ball, you have to throw earlier to hit the target, but you can still hit him if you have *adequate* zip. I think it just means you need to make your reads sooner and release the ball quicker than your strong armed counterpart. Holmgren has alluded to this at one point talking about Colt.

    I still think it comes down to his comfort level with the deep throws; he's obviously nowhere near as comfortable with them now as he is with the intermediate passes. With enough reps and chemistry with his receiver he'll get it done. I remember seeing him launch an 85 yard touchdown strike to Shipley against UCF.. ball went at least 55 yards in the air. It floated a bit more than it would if Eli Manning threw it, but his arm itself is good enough to throw downfield. He's just not as accurate/comfortable with those throws at this time. I really think it comes down to reps.