Skip to content

McCoy works with Browns trainers, could return to practice

The Browns Board
37 16 2.7k
  • 36Bones3 36Bones wrote on last edited by 36Bones
    #12

    If Holmgren drafts another QB; I hope has the decency to trade Colt to another team, where he can start. There are no perfect QB's. There are more pressing needs on offense. Drafting another QB seems pointless to me. It's just my opinion. Colt has proven that he can play in the NFL and be successful.

  • If Holmgren drafts another QB; I hope has the decency to trade Colt to another team, where he can start. There are no perfect QB's. There are more pressing needs on offense. Drafting another QB seems pointless to me. It's just my opinion. Colt has proven that he can play in the NFL and be successful.

    P pizzadeliveryguy wrote on last edited by pizzadeliveryguy
    #13

    @36bones said:

    Colt has proven that he can play in the NFL and be successful.

    Has he? Don't get me wrong, I like what I have seen from McCoy but 5 games is a pretty small sample size especially when you think about how watered down the game plans were. Teams will have more game footage of him and make it tougher on him from here on out. Like I said, I like him and hope he can be our QB of the future and that we can spend the draft pick on a WR or pass rushing specialist but the more the coaches can evaluate him in game situations the better. I would hate that we passed on the next Peyton Manning because we already have the next Trent Dilfer.

  • 36Bones3 36Bones wrote on last edited by 36Bones
    #14

    Well, now that I read it, I could get that I overstated the word proven. I meant to convey, there were a lot of people who didn't think he could play in the NFL at all. I think he's shown that he can, if given the time to develop. I wasn't trying to make him out to be more. He could be the next <insert name here>. There's a big difference between college and the pro's and some can't make the transition, even if given a great chance. We've all seen the crash and burn Heisman winner's. I apologize for not being more careful with my wording.

  • @36bones said:

    Colt has proven that he can play in the NFL and be successful.

    Has he? Don't get me wrong, I like what I have seen from McCoy but 5 games is a pretty small sample size especially when you think about how watered down the game plans were. Teams will have more game footage of him and make it tougher on him from here on out. Like I said, I like him and hope he can be our QB of the future and that we can spend the draft pick on a WR or pass rushing specialist but the more the coaches can evaluate him in game situations the better. I would hate that we passed on the next Peyton Manning because we already have the next Trent Dilfer.

    T tshirtfan wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    Has he? Don't get me wrong, I like what I have seen from McCoy but 5 games is a pretty small sample size especially when you think about how watered down the game plans were. Teams will have more game footage of him and make it tougher on him from here on out. Like I said, I like him and hope he can be our QB of the future and that we can spend the draft pick on a WR or pass rushing specialist but the more the coaches can evaluate him in game situations the better. I would hate that we passed on the next Peyton Manning because we already have the next Trent Dilfer.

    True, but the reasons Colt was not seen as a franchise QB during the draft are height, arm strength, and difficulty adapting to an NFL offense. He's seeing the field, not getting balls batted down, making decent throws with good zip, looks comfortable under center, and, according to Daboll, has a good command of the entire playbook. So I think we need to look at Colt as a QB that really should have gone in the top of the first round, or bottom of the second.

    Luck will probably not be available. Assuming he isn't, then -- as deep as the draft is this year -- how do you justify spending a first round pick on Ryan Mallett, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Ricky Stanzi, etc.? To me, Colt is way less risk at this point then one of those guys.

  • sprained ankles have different severeness, and i believe high sprains are the most serious. If we were more legitimately in the race then he would probably play this week.

    ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    sprained ankles have different severeness, and i believe high sprains are the most serious. If we were more legitimately in the race then he would probably play this week.

    I'm not sure what you said is entirely correct in the way you said it.

    A high sprain may be more serious than a typical mild to intermediate low ankle sprain, only because of what is actually sprained.

    But a mild high sprain might keep you out longer than an intermediate low sprain. Reason being, because of the muscles and ligaments that are sprained take longer to heal in a high ankle sprain.

    But a severe low ankle sprain would be more severe than a mild high ankle sprain.

  • ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Colt has shown more ability to play on the NFL level and be a successful NFL QB, than any of the upcoming rookies yet to be drafted.

  • TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound wrote on last edited by
    #18

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...erback_c_8.html

    CLEVELAND -- Browns rookie quarterback Colt McCoy (ankle) returned to practice today on a limited basis, but it's not yet known if he'll be healthy enough to dress for the Bills game and serve as the third quarterback.

    McCoy has been walking around without his boot on and was able to participate in positions drills today. "It's progress,'' said coach Eric Mangini.

    With McCoy still idle, Jake Delhomme will start his third straight game and go for his third straight win Sunday in frigid, snowy Buffalo.

    In other Browns news, four players are idle today: linebacker Scott Fujita (knee), linebacker Titus Brown (concussion), tight end Evan Moore (hip) and guard Floyd Womack (knee). Mangini said Womack should be ready for the game.

    Linebacker Marcus Benard, who missed Thursday for a personal reason, was back on the field.

  • M MudratDetector wrote on last edited by
    #19

    awesome. hope this means that he'll be available for the 3 division games @ the end of the season.

  • @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    Has he? Don't get me wrong, I like what I have seen from McCoy but 5 games is a pretty small sample size especially when you think about how watered down the game plans were. Teams will have more game footage of him and make it tougher on him from here on out. Like I said, I like him and hope he can be our QB of the future and that we can spend the draft pick on a WR or pass rushing specialist but the more the coaches can evaluate him in game situations the better. I would hate that we passed on the next Peyton Manning because we already have the next Trent Dilfer.

    True, but the reasons Colt was not seen as a franchise QB during the draft are height, arm strength, and difficulty adapting to an NFL offense. He's seeing the field, not getting balls batted down, making decent throws with good zip, looks comfortable under center, and, according to Daboll, has a good command of the entire playbook. So I think we need to look at Colt as a QB that really should have gone in the top of the first round, or bottom of the second.

    Luck will probably not be available. Assuming he isn't, then -- as deep as the draft is this year -- how do you justify spending a first round pick on Ryan Mallett, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Ricky Stanzi, etc.? To me, Colt is way less risk at this point then one of those guys.

    P pizzadeliveryguy wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @tshirtfan said:

    True, but the reasons Colt was not seen as a franchise QB during the draft are height, arm strength, and difficulty adapting to an NFL offense. He's seeing the field, not getting balls batted down, making decent throws with good zip, looks comfortable under center, and, according to Daboll, has a good command of the entire playbook. So I think we need to look at Colt as a QB that really should have gone in the top of the first round, or bottom of the second.

    Luck will probably not be available. Assuming he isn't, then -- as deep as the draft is this year -- how do you justify spending a first round pick on Ryan Mallett, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Ricky Stanzi, etc.? To me, Colt is way less risk at this point then one of those guys.

    I'm not advocating anything. I just want the Browns FO to do their due diligence which hopefully means we will get some more in game evaluation on McCoy. He has certainly looked great for a rookie and I am very hopeful but let's not anoint him as the savior just yet.

  • WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I agree with the pizza guys comments.

    As great as colt has looked it would be premature to say he is a franchise qb.

  • @tshirtfan said:

    True, but the reasons Colt was not seen as a franchise QB during the draft are height, arm strength, and difficulty adapting to an NFL offense. He's seeing the field, not getting balls batted down, making decent throws with good zip, looks comfortable under center, and, according to Daboll, has a good command of the entire playbook. So I think we need to look at Colt as a QB that really should have gone in the top of the first round, or bottom of the second.

    Luck will probably not be available. Assuming he isn't, then -- as deep as the draft is this year -- how do you justify spending a first round pick on Ryan Mallett, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Ricky Stanzi, etc.? To me, Colt is way less risk at this point then one of those guys.

    I'm not advocating anything. I just want the Browns FO to do their due diligence which hopefully means we will get some more in game evaluation on McCoy. He has certainly looked great for a rookie and I am very hopeful but let's not anoint him as the savior just yet.

    T tshirtfan wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    I'm not advocating anything. I just want the Browns FO to do their due diligence which hopefully means we will get some more in game evaluation on McCoy. He has certainly looked great for a rookie and I am very hopeful but let's not anoint him as the savior just yet.

    I agree that he has not proven himself yet as QBOF; my claim is that the only QB in this years' draft that is really worth picking in an early round is Luck. Holmgren will pick a later round QB, and it's more likely that that kid will turn out to be a stud than the Browns drafting Locker, Luck, or Newton in my opinion.

  • @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    I'm not advocating anything. I just want the Browns FO to do their due diligence which hopefully means we will get some more in game evaluation on McCoy. He has certainly looked great for a rookie and I am very hopeful but let's not anoint him as the savior just yet.

    I agree that he has not proven himself yet as QBOF; my claim is that the only QB in this years' draft that is really worth picking in an early round is Luck. Holmgren will pick a later round QB, and it's more likely that that kid will turn out to be a stud than the Browns drafting Locker, Luck, or Newton in my opinion.

    P pizzadeliveryguy wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @tshirtfan said:

    I agree that he has not proven himself yet as QBOF; my claim is that the only QB in this years' draft that is really worth picking in an early round is Luck. Holmgren will pick a later round QB, and it's more likely that that kid will turn out to be a stud than the Browns drafting Locker, Luck, or Newton in my opinion.

    Sounds like we are in the same camp for the most part. Locker intrigues me though. He hurt his stock by staying another year and doesn't have nearly the hype that he had last year, I am curious to see where he drops to. All those tools that were being touted highly last year certainly haven't vanished and he may end up being a steal.

  • C ClevelandBigDawg wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Locker will still go first round. Possibly top 10. Remember how Bradford "hurt" his stock by staying another year. Luck will be the first QB taken, probably number 1 overall. Locker just has to beat out Mallet and Newton, otherwise the next person is probably Christian Ponder and IMHO, he is on a different level. Locker is a first round talent, his game film will show that, and his combine stats will boost him too.

  • Locker will still go first round. Possibly top 10. Remember how Bradford "hurt" his stock by staying another year. Luck will be the first QB taken, probably number 1 overall. Locker just has to beat out Mallet and Newton, otherwise the next person is probably Christian Ponder and IMHO, he is on a different level. Locker is a first round talent, his game film will show that, and his combine stats will boost him too.

    T tshirtfan wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @clevelandbigdawg said:

    Locker will still go first round. Possibly top 10. Remember how Bradford "hurt" his stock by staying another year. Luck will be the first QB taken, probably number 1 overall. Locker just has to beat out Mallet and Newton, otherwise the next person is probably Christian Ponder and IMHO, he is on a different level. Locker is a first round talent, his game film will show that, and his combine stats will boost him too.

    I agree that Locker will get a boost in the spring. When he shows he can chuck it 80 yards effortlessly he'll move right back up to the third round. But I don't see anything that suggests that he's more than a project at actually playing the quarterback position.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #26

    if we pick another qb in next year's draft(with all the other positional needs we have) i'll personally drive to cleveland and knock that ugly fxxking moustache off holmgren's big fat mug. you need to shut up with the draft another qb talk. what do you think we did last year?

    i wasn't a mccoy fan to begin with, but to see him drop in the draft and for us to get him where we did, i think was a phenonmenal job by our FO. and to say he isn't proven? are you for real? he came into his pro career starting against the steelers (i know we all hate them, but you have to say they are ONE of the best teams in the league) and held his own. probably better than delhomme or wallace could do. he wasn't shaky. the team loves him. now if he's injury prone that's another thing but looking at his history that's not a factor. why would you waste a pick on another fxxking qb?

    get real. every draft pick is important. be thankful for what you've got and not look to always 'trade up'.

  • if we pick another qb in next year's draft(with all the other positional needs we have) i'll personally drive to cleveland and knock that ugly fxxking moustache off holmgren's big fat mug. you need to shut up with the draft another qb talk. what do you think we did last year?

    i wasn't a mccoy fan to begin with, but to see him drop in the draft and for us to get him where we did, i think was a phenonmenal job by our FO. and to say he isn't proven? are you for real? he came into his pro career starting against the steelers (i know we all hate them, but you have to say they are ONE of the best teams in the league) and held his own. probably better than delhomme or wallace could do. he wasn't shaky. the team loves him. now if he's injury prone that's another thing but looking at his history that's not a factor. why would you waste a pick on another fxxking qb?

    get real. every draft pick is important. be thankful for what you've got and not look to always 'trade up'.

    T tshirtfan wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @miktoxic said:

    if we pick another qb in next year's draft(with all the other positional needs we have) i'll personally drive to cleveland and knock that ugly fxxking moustache off holmgren's big fat mug. you need to shut up with the draft another qb talk. what do you think we did last year?

    i wasn't a mccoy fan to begin with, but to see him drop in the draft and for us to get him where we did, i think was a phenonmenal job by our FO. and to say he isn't proven? are you for real? he came into his pro career starting against the steelers (i know we all hate them, but you have to say they are ONE of the best teams in the league) and held his own. probably better than delhomme or wallace could do. he wasn't shaky. the team loves him. now if he's injury prone that's another thing but looking at his history that's not a factor. why would you waste a pick on another fxxking qb?

    get real. every draft pick is important. be thankful for what you've got and not look to always 'trade up'.

    I think his ability to get the team behind him is really important. Ryan Mallett in particular doesn't strike me as being ready to do that.

  • @miktoxic said:

    if we pick another qb in next year's draft(with all the other positional needs we have) i'll personally drive to cleveland and knock that ugly fxxking moustache off holmgren's big fat mug. you need to shut up with the draft another qb talk. what do you think we did last year?

    i wasn't a mccoy fan to begin with, but to see him drop in the draft and for us to get him where we did, i think was a phenonmenal job by our FO. and to say he isn't proven? are you for real? he came into his pro career starting against the steelers (i know we all hate them, but you have to say they are ONE of the best teams in the league) and held his own. probably better than delhomme or wallace could do. he wasn't shaky. the team loves him. now if he's injury prone that's another thing but looking at his history that's not a factor. why would you waste a pick on another fxxking qb?

    get real. every draft pick is important. be thankful for what you've got and not look to always 'trade up'.

    I think his ability to get the team behind him is really important. Ryan Mallett in particular doesn't strike me as being ready to do that.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @tshirtfan said:

    I think his ability to get the team behind him is really important. Ryan Mallett in particular doesn't strike me as being ready to do that.

    listen i love a lot of these qbs that will be available next year but that's not one of our 'essential' needs at this time. how about trying to land one of the 2 top wrs next year as first priority? then a RT?

  • if we pick another qb in next year's draft(with all the other positional needs we have) i'll personally drive to cleveland and knock that ugly fxxking moustache off holmgren's big fat mug. you need to shut up with the draft another qb talk. what do you think we did last year?

    i wasn't a mccoy fan to begin with, but to see him drop in the draft and for us to get him where we did, i think was a phenonmenal job by our FO. and to say he isn't proven? are you for real? he came into his pro career starting against the steelers (i know we all hate them, but you have to say they are ONE of the best teams in the league) and held his own. probably better than delhomme or wallace could do. he wasn't shaky. the team loves him. now if he's injury prone that's another thing but looking at his history that's not a factor. why would you waste a pick on another fxxking qb?

    get real. every draft pick is important. be thankful for what you've got and not look to always 'trade up'.

    P pizzadeliveryguy wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @miktoxic said:

    and to say he isn't proven? are you for real? he came into his pro career starting against the steelers (i know we all hate them, but you have to say they are ONE of the best teams in the league) and held his own.

    Am I for real? You are trying to convince us that a guy with 127 career passing attempts is a proven commodity. Again, I like McCoy but let's not pretend that he is all pro. I honestly don't want us to draft a QB but if Locker falls and Holmgren (who I trust with QBs) thinks that he is a game changer then I would have no problem with the decision. In a perfect world, the staff will have enough info and game footage to be comfortable with McCoy and draft a Jones/Baldwin.

  • @miktoxic said:

    and to say he isn't proven? are you for real? he came into his pro career starting against the steelers (i know we all hate them, but you have to say they are ONE of the best teams in the league) and held his own.

    Am I for real? You are trying to convince us that a guy with 127 career passing attempts is a proven commodity. Again, I like McCoy but let's not pretend that he is all pro. I honestly don't want us to draft a QB but if Locker falls and Holmgren (who I trust with QBs) thinks that he is a game changer then I would have no problem with the decision. In a perfect world, the staff will have enough info and game footage to be comfortable with McCoy and draft a Jones/Baldwin.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    and Holmgren (who I trust with QBs)

    ok. last thing i want to do is bicker back and forth with someone who roots for the same team i do with BUT this holmgren almighty and gruden almighty shit has to stop. what QB has holmgren molded to be great? brett fahrt who's stats are over-blown because he's been in the league for Fing forty years? matt hasselback? seneca wallace? c'mon man!

    even if your argument is true, holmgren liked mccoy enough to draft him last year so why can't we live with that if it's the old "in holmgren we trust"?

  • tampadawgsT tampadawgs wrote on last edited by
    #31

    The only QB i would draft in this class is Luck, that kid will be a STUD in the NFL, and the Bills will draft him or Bungels will, besides that we need to take the biggest, fastest badass DE in the draft and then pick up a WR in the second. I know that will not sit well with a lot of people...But if Ryan leaves to become a HC somewhere are Defense will take a step back with out some studs up front