Skip to content

Time To Start Losing?

The Browns Board
26 20 1.9k
  • NEVAR!!! Just win baby.

  • Just wondering everyone's take on this. Seems like what some teams have done in the past. I feel like Carolina is doing that right now just to get #1.

    I don't think the Browns will do this just because I think Mangini's system is starting to show some promise and to lose out would almost certainly cost him his job.

    Any thoughts?

    @loyalty said:

    Just wondering everyone's take on this. Seems like what some teams have done in the past. I feel like Carolina is doing that right now just to get #1.

    I don't think the Browns will do this just because I think Mangini's system is starting to show some promise and to lose out would almost certainly cost him his job.

    Any thoughts?

    Umm Carolina has been losing all season but that what happens when you lose your best defesive player (Peppers) and yout top 3 offensive are either hurt (Williams and Stewart)or can't pass to the other (Smith)

  • Even if the Browns lose out,they won't gain any spots compared to the teams ahead of them

  • I don't think you ever want to have a team pack it in. I want players who compete hard regardless.

    One time I was playing checkers and was getting crushed, but I played hard to the end..

  • Come on.

  • Only throw the game if the other guy is trying to throw the game. Then you have a competition to see who can manage to lose it.

  • Why would John Fox of Carolina be playing to lose when he's not even going to be coaching there next season?

  • With the way Heckert and Mangini can find these diamonds in the rough im not to worried about where we are in the draft.

  • You play to win the game, hello.

    But, at the same time, it's around that time when you start fielding rookies to see if they've got playmaker potential. I'd like to see Carlton Mitchell on the field and actually involved in the offense for the whole game this time.

  • Also... high draft pick doesn't always equal good player.

  • Also... high draft pick doesn't always equal good player.

    @next2nothing said:

    Also... high draft pick doesn't always equal good player.

    True! But it always means high contracts!

  • @next2nothing said:

    Also... high draft pick doesn't always equal good player.

    True! But it always means high contracts!

    @wrrebel said:

    True! But it always means high contracts!

    Not with a rookie salary cap in place.

  • What really is the difference between say the 5th best player in the draft and the 10th best player?

    I don't eve want to see the team lose...no matter what.

  • Completely agree with what Zombo already stated i dont care if we were 0-13 i would wanna beat Pitt,Baltimore and Cincy xxxx the draft position just beat those three teams and ill leave the season on a high note

  • Every year someone comes up with this thread - KERRTHUNKK!, sorry that was my head hitting the table in boredom and frustration.

    Even thinking this way is a loser's mindset. Three division rivals left to play, possibility of Colt back under centre, a team that has proved it can beat the best and some people think we should give it all up. You should go and wash your mouth out and look in the mirror - there's a possibility you could be a Steelers fan and don't even know it.

    Next three games - BROWNS WIN.

    That's the only mindset I have.

  • Every year someone comes up with this thread - KERRTHUNKK!, sorry that was my head hitting the table in boredom and frustration.

    Even thinking this way is a loser's mindset. Three division rivals left to play, possibility of Colt back under centre, a team that has proved it can beat the best and some people think we should give it all up. You should go and wash your mouth out and look in the mirror - there's a possibility you could be a Steelers fan and don't even know it.

    Next three games - BROWNS WIN.

    That's the only mindset I have.

    @howiedawg said:

    Every year someone comes up with this thread - KERRTHUNKK!, sorry that was my head hitting the table in boredom and frustration.

    Even thinking this way is a loser's mindset. Three division rivals left to play, possibility of Colt back under centre, a team that has proved it can beat the best and some people think we should give it all up. You should go and wash your mouth out and look in the mirror - there's a possibility you could be a Steelers fan and don't even know it.

    Next three games - BROWNS WIN.

    That's the only mindset I have.

    Howie, you're right- you don't ever, ever play to lose just to improve your draft status.

    OTOH, once upon a time, the Colts played not to get hurt which cost the Browns a spot in the playoffs a few years back- but that's another critter entirely.

  • Zombo said:

    First of all ... stupid question.

    You play balls out every week until the whistle blows, let draft position fal where it may.

    Secondly ... this team needs to learn how to win. We have lost far too many close games this year and winning breeds winning.

    Thirdly ... we are playing Cincy, Baltimore and Pittsburgh ... there mere suggestion of even laying down to one of those teams should get someone's balls shot off.

    Zombo

    Well said Zombo. What dumb azz would ever think of trying to lose a game on the plan that the draft would really turn them around next season. Winning as you stated is the only thing no matter what your win-loss status is. If you really don't understand this get the hell out of this game take up basket weaving. What a sorry ass you must be.

  • @howiedawg said:

    Every year someone comes up with this thread - KERRTHUNKK!, sorry that was my head hitting the table in boredom and frustration.

    Even thinking this way is a loser's mindset. Three division rivals left to play, possibility of Colt back under centre, a team that has proved it can beat the best and some people think we should give it all up. You should go and wash your mouth out and look in the mirror - there's a possibility you could be a Steelers fan and don't even know it.

    Next three games - BROWNS WIN.

    That's the only mindset I have.

    Howie, you're right- you don't ever, ever play to lose just to improve your draft status.

    OTOH, once upon a time, the Colts played not to get hurt which cost the Browns a spot in the playoffs a few years back- but that's another critter entirely.

    @hoorta said:

    Howie, you're right- you don't ever, ever play to lose just to improve your draft status.

    OTOH, once upon a time, the Colts played not to get hurt which cost the Browns a spot in the playoffs a few years back- but that's another critter entirely.

    Well Hoorta that was 2007 if my memory serves me right and I can't help but think if we had won that Cincy game we wouldn't have needed to rely on ol' Dungy fileding a stronger team........ But losing to imporve draft status - NO WAY.

    I say we have an auto delete featyre on this site for threads like this.

  • The goal of every team is to win the Super Bowl.

    Once you are eliminated from the play-offs (which the Browns are), the goal is to improve the team.

    Fans expect the team to win, especially versus division rivals, more for pride than for logic.

    If I were a coach and eliminated from the play-offs, I would be doing everything I could to prepare a team for a play-off run the next year. I would do this by getting my rookies/promising back-ups more playing time. You need to find out what they are made of and what you need to improve on in the off-season (via free agency and the draft). Sticking to conservative play-calling with old washed up vets, whom you will most likely cut just so you can win a game or two for pride is stupid. Getting your future players ready, testing out different philosophies and preparing your team for the next season is smart. If you can do the later and win, the confidence you will build within your team will far outwiegh any small draft positioning gains. If you fail to win, you will still know more about your team and get the consolation prize of higher draft picks.

  • I hate drafting high unless you can trade those picks for more lower ones.

    Also if we lose out it's because NOW we'll be playing good teams and even the Bungholes give us trouble whenever we play them.

    I don't want to put in McCoy at 80% and Delhomme is terrible.

    Hillis can't be successful if the D knows we aren't going to do anything but run.

    I'm sure Wallace sucks too but where's the Wyldcat?

    WSS