Skip to content

According to Dan Rooney, there is no pledge that Cowher will stay loyal to PIT and the Rooneys

The Browns Board
6 4 1.0k
  • L lemosley01 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...er_can_tak.html

    CLEVELAND --- There is no agreement between the Pittsburgh Steelers and former coach Bill Cowher that would preclude Cowher from becoming coach of the Browns, Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney said on Tuesday.

    Rooney admits it, so where does this belief come from the Cowher will 'stay loyal' to the Rooneys because of some pledge.

    It seems another roadblock has just fallen.

  • http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...er_can_tak.html

    CLEVELAND --- There is no agreement between the Pittsburgh Steelers and former coach Bill Cowher that would preclude Cowher from becoming coach of the Browns, Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney said on Tuesday.

    Rooney admits it, so where does this belief come from the Cowher will 'stay loyal' to the Rooneys because of some pledge.

    It seems another roadblock has just fallen.

    B Buck The Frowns wrote on last edited by
    #2

    @lemosley01 said:

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...er_can_tak.html

    Rooney admits it, so where does this belief come from the Cowher will 'stay loyal' to the Rooneys because of some pledge.

    It seems another roadblock has just fallen.

    I thought it came from Cowher. It is said that he is enjoying his TV job and does not want to return to coaching. Maybe he looked at Browns ownership and used the "pledge" to the Rooneys as an excuse to opt out. I heard on ESPN, for what that is worth, that it's far more likely that Schottenheimer will get the job. He actually wants to coach again.

  • @lemosley01 said:

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...er_can_tak.html

    Rooney admits it, so where does this belief come from the Cowher will 'stay loyal' to the Rooneys because of some pledge.

    It seems another roadblock has just fallen.

    I thought it came from Cowher. It is said that he is enjoying his TV job and does not want to return to coaching. Maybe he looked at Browns ownership and used the "pledge" to the Rooneys as an excuse to opt out. I heard on ESPN, for what that is worth, that it's far more likely that Schottenheimer will get the job. He actually wants to coach again.

    ? 88fingerslewy wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @buck-the-frowns said:

    it's far more likely that Schottenheimer will get the job. He actually wants to coach again.
    I thought he only wanted a Parcells type role....but coaching? I hope you're right. Sometimes recapturing old magic doesn't work but Schottenheimer's fresh off (couple of seasons) an awesome stint in SD. He got a raw deal I thought.
  • @lemosley01 said:

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...er_can_tak.html

    Rooney admits it, so where does this belief come from the Cowher will 'stay loyal' to the Rooneys because of some pledge.

    It seems another roadblock has just fallen.

    I thought it came from Cowher. It is said that he is enjoying his TV job and does not want to return to coaching. Maybe he looked at Browns ownership and used the "pledge" to the Rooneys as an excuse to opt out. I heard on ESPN, for what that is worth, that it's far more likely that Schottenheimer will get the job. He actually wants to coach again.

    GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by Gips
    #4

    @buck-the-frowns said:

    I thought it came from Cowher. It is said that he is enjoying his TV job and does not want to return to coaching. Maybe he looked at Browns ownership and used the "pledge" to the Rooneys as an excuse to opt out. I heard on ESPN, for what that is worth, that it's far more likely that Schottenheimer will get the job. He actually wants to coach again.

    Thats what ive been thinking.. cowher doesnt want to coach for an organization thats been screwed up since the expansion from the very top down this club will fail to land a good coach or even make much needed changes in the front office just as it always has since 1999..

    Lerner needs to figure out that retaining coaches,assistants,gms,scouts,directors, presidents and vp's only works when you have the right people the browns lack the right people at most important positions..randy needs to take a crash course from the rooneys or someone on running a football team..

    Our current organization does not and hasnt had a real structure or true football culture/identity going on from the front office and this needs to change very soon in order to start cultivating a winner that winners would want to be a part of..a very tall order for an absentee nub like lerner..

  • @buck-the-frowns said:

    I thought it came from Cowher. It is said that he is enjoying his TV job and does not want to return to coaching. Maybe he looked at Browns ownership and used the "pledge" to the Rooneys as an excuse to opt out. I heard on ESPN, for what that is worth, that it's far more likely that Schottenheimer will get the job. He actually wants to coach again.

    Thats what ive been thinking.. cowher doesnt want to coach for an organization thats been screwed up since the expansion from the very top down this club will fail to land a good coach or even make much needed changes in the front office just as it always has since 1999..

    Lerner needs to figure out that retaining coaches,assistants,gms,scouts,directors, presidents and vp's only works when you have the right people the browns lack the right people at most important positions..randy needs to take a crash course from the rooneys or someone on running a football team..

    Our current organization does not and hasnt had a real structure or true football culture/identity going on from the front office and this needs to change very soon in order to start cultivating a winner that winners would want to be a part of..a very tall order for an absentee nub like lerner..

    L lemosley01 wrote on last edited by lemosley01
    #5

    @gips said:

    Thats what ive been thinking.. cowher doesnt want to coach for an organization thats been screwed up since the expansion from the very top down this club will fail to land a good coach or even make much needed changes in the front office just as it always has since 1999..

    Lerner needs to figure out that retaining coaches,assistants,gms,scouts,directors, presidents and vp's only works when you have the right people the browns lack the right people at most important positions..randy needs to take a crash course from the rooneys or someone on running a football team..

    Our current organization does not and hasnt had a real structure or true football culture/identity going on from the front office and this needs to change very soon in order to start cultivating a winner that winners would want to be a part of..a very tall order for an absentee nub like lerner..

    Clayton (or someone) had a piece the other day indicating that Marty isn't even on the radar in Berea.

    If that's the case, that tells you how xxxxed up this ownership is - we're basically screwed unless we get lucky or Lerner sells - assuming the piece is correct or it isn't a result of Marty saying 'not a chance in hell'.

    I want Marty in the worst way. I'm warming up to Spagnuolo, and Rex Ryan; I want Cowher as coach, but I don't want him as Coach/GM - it's too much work for one guy. I wouldn't mind him in a GM role, provided we have an experienced team president or someone above him.

    Pioli and McDaniels don't excite me - at all. I view them as just more guys that are part of the machine.

  • @gips said:

    Thats what ive been thinking.. cowher doesnt want to coach for an organization thats been screwed up since the expansion from the very top down this club will fail to land a good coach or even make much needed changes in the front office just as it always has since 1999..

    Lerner needs to figure out that retaining coaches,assistants,gms,scouts,directors, presidents and vp's only works when you have the right people the browns lack the right people at most important positions..randy needs to take a crash course from the rooneys or someone on running a football team..

    Our current organization does not and hasnt had a real structure or true football culture/identity going on from the front office and this needs to change very soon in order to start cultivating a winner that winners would want to be a part of..a very tall order for an absentee nub like lerner..

    Clayton (or someone) had a piece the other day indicating that Marty isn't even on the radar in Berea.

    If that's the case, that tells you how xxxxed up this ownership is - we're basically screwed unless we get lucky or Lerner sells - assuming the piece is correct or it isn't a result of Marty saying 'not a chance in hell'.

    I want Marty in the worst way. I'm warming up to Spagnuolo, and Rex Ryan; I want Cowher as coach, but I don't want him as Coach/GM - it's too much work for one guy. I wouldn't mind him in a GM role, provided we have an experienced team president or someone above him.

    Pioli and McDaniels don't excite me - at all. I view them as just more guys that are part of the machine.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @lemosley01 said:

    Clayton (or someone) had a piece the other day indicating that Marty isn't even on the radar in Berea.

    If that's the case, that tells you how xxxxed up this ownership is - we're basically screwed unless we get lucky or Lerner sells - assuming the piece is correct or it isn't a result of Marty saying 'not a chance in hell'.

    I want Marty in the worst way. I'm warming up to Spagnuolo, and Rex Ryan; I want Cowher as coach, but I don't want him as Coach/GM - it's too much work for one guy. I wouldn't mind him in a GM role, provided we have an experienced team president or someone above him.

    Pioli and McDaniels don't excite me - at all. I view them as just more guys that are part of the machine.

    Clayton did say that about Marty. The first choice in Berea is Cowher, with an offer of 8M a year and willing to go 9M. After that, it's Spags and other hot coaching options floating out there.