Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
32 Posts 22 Posters 2.0k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • shepwrite S
    • 814 Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Hear me out...

    Steve Smith has been a dick for a large portion of his life. He's cold-cocked his own teammates. He bitches and pouts. He can also be a funny, engaging guy who had a very good relationship with a certain mentor-to-be named Jake Delhomme. The two actually were friends.

    Smith is going to get cut. He already put his house up for sale. The team sucks and is in for a long rebuilding process with a rookie QB, probably Andrew Luck. Smith is due 7 mill he'll never see based on injuries and production.

    Oh, and to recommend him even less? He'll be 32 in May. He's absolutely a short-term prospect.

    And I think that makes him ideal for the Browns, who are likely to draft a WR in the 8 to 13 range next April. Rookie receivers often take time to become stars... and the Browns seem to have an opportunity to be serious contenders in 2011, if indeed there is a 2011. Well, I mean there will be a 2011, but maybe not for football fans.

    Now the good stuff: Smith is still fast. He's in great shape. He's a fiery competitor. And, again, he loves him some Jake Delhomme, who will be there to broker the relationship between McCoy, Smith, and Julio Jones (for example). Massoquoi becomes the slot, something many think he's born to do (talked about a lot his rookie year).

    The Browns defense has been pretty damn good this year. A couple of new pieces in the front 7, they have a shot to be legit top 10. We'll be able to run the ball. If we can also throw it? The sky's the limit.

    Smith would only be relevant for two years, which gives Julio time to grow into the #1.

    Just sayin'.

    D 1 Reply Last reply
    ❤
    Quote Reply
    • cddbrowns cddbrownsC
      • 136 Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      cddbrownsC cddbrowns wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Zombo said:

      Smith has jumped the shark and I'm not so sure Delhomme makes the roster next year, so I wouldn't put much into that connection. If we get to training camp and he's available and we still have big concerns ... then I'd give him a whiff.

      Zombo

      The fact that he was even riding a shark makes him a badass!!!!!!! 🙄

      If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you.
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • BROWNandORANGE B
        • 496 Posts
        • 1 Reputation
        B BROWNandORANGE wrote on last edited by
        #3

        The thing that concerns me about Delhomme, and I think we can all agree on this, he plays for the name on the back of the jersey, not the front. In some situations (possibly most and/or all), Delhomme is more than willing to throw an INT to avoid being sacked.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • shepwrite S
          • 814 Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
          #4

          I would certainly launch Delhomme... but I'm getting a vibe that he's REALLY well liked by both McCoy and this staff. Like Zombo said, a new staff of Holmgren guys might prefer Wallace's WCO experience, but I think McCoy will lobby for Jake.

          As a backup/mentor/security blanket, I'm less concerned. Unless McCoy gets hurt and then I'll barf on my screen.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • WRREBEL WRREBELW
            • 2k Posts
            • 87 Reputation
            WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Steve smith would be a welcome addition or vincent jackson.

            I think steve smith would love playing for gruden ;l

            B Kosar_For_PresidentK 2 Replies Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • WRREBELW WRREBEL

              Steve smith would be a welcome addition or vincent jackson.

              I think steve smith would love playing for gruden ;l

              BROWNandORANGE B
              • 496 Posts
              • 1 Reputation
              B BROWNandORANGE wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @wrrebel said:

              Steve smith would be a welcome addition or vincent jackson.

              I think steve smith would love playing for gruden ;l

              cool, then maybe Steve Smith can go give Gruden a blumpkin while he broadcasts Monday Night Football because Gruden isn't coming to Cleveland.

              As for Steve Smith and Vincent Jackson coming to Cleveland, they are both thugs who have proven themselves to be detrimental to their teams. Let's draft a rookie wideout like Julio Jones or A.J. Green.

              A 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • shepwrite S
                • 814 Posts
                • 0 Reputation
                S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
                #7

                I think it's a given we'll take a WR high up... but I don't think we'll stop there.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • MudratDetector M
                  • 389 Posts
                  • 1 Reputation
                  M MudratDetector wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  i can't decide which is more lame:

                  jon gruden or the people hoping that he comes to cleveland.

                  B 1 Reply Last reply
                  ❤
                  Quote Reply
                  • M MudratDetector

                    i can't decide which is more lame:

                    jon gruden or the people hoping that he comes to cleveland.

                    BROWNandORANGE B
                    • 496 Posts
                    • 1 Reputation
                    B BROWNandORANGE wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @mudratdetector said:

                    i can't decide which is more lame:

                    jon gruden or the people hoping that he comes to cleveland.

                    thank you! Finally, someone who is not riding Gruden's cock.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • Kosar_For_President Kosar_For_PresidentK
                      • 6k Posts
                      • 221 Reputation
                      Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      I am a huge Steve Smith fan. Top 5 receiver in the league. Hasn't been able to produce the last 2 years. Freak injuries as well.

                      Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB - Ghoolie, 2-28-12
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • WRREBELW WRREBEL

                        Steve smith would be a welcome addition or vincent jackson.

                        I think steve smith would love playing for gruden ;l

                        Kosar_For_President Kosar_For_PresidentK
                        • 6k Posts
                        • 221 Reputation
                        Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by Kosar_For_President
                        #11

                        @wrrebel said:

                        I think steve smith would love playing for gruden ;l

                        Dude, high jack your own "I love Gruden because he looks like my 11th grade girlfriend" thread.

                        Mangini stays, get over it.

                        Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB - Ghoolie, 2-28-12
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        ❤
                        Quote Reply
                        • Riffer X Riffer XR Very Popular Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 3k Posts
                          • 127 Reputation
                          Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Smith is an emotional guy, but I wouldn't characterize him as a dick. I actually think his character would be a welcome thing for this team, they certainly wouldn't lack for fire offensively with a leader like Colt and Smith, plus Colt has the personality to keep someone like Smith in line and more even keeled. Remember, questionable character guys usually aren't much of an issue when surrounded with a solid character team, it's when you let the inmates start to run the asylum that things get whacked.

                          He can still play, and would be a good bridge IF he can stay healthy. If we are really serious about upgrading the receiving corps (although I still think both MoMass and Robo will be decent pros), a number one draft pick alone is not going to do it. We are going to need a guy like Smith for the transition. Smith wants to win, and I think Mangie would get a hold of him enough to shut him up. The first second he spouted off about Colt like he did with Clausen, he gets sat. However, I wouldn't see him doing that with Colt because he demands respect.

                          Is a pig's ass pork?
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • PlaygroundLegend PlaygroundLegendP
                            • 927 Posts
                            • 4 Reputation
                            PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            I'd prefer another receiver, one who specializes in getting open, eye opening catches, and funny as hell interviews..

                            his name rhymes with Brad Mojoplinko, and I think he's a FA

                            S 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend

                              I'd prefer another receiver, one who specializes in getting open, eye opening catches, and funny as hell interviews..

                              his name rhymes with Brad Mojoplinko, and I think he's a FA

                              shepwrite S
                              • 814 Posts
                              • 0 Reputation
                              S shepwrite wrote on last edited by shepwrite
                              #14

                              @playgroundlegend said:

                              I'd prefer another receiver, one who specializes in getting open, eye opening catches, and funny as hell interviews..

                              his name rhymes with Brad Mojoplinko, and I think he's a FA

                              PGL! Dude!!! Good to see you. You were probably talking about someone else, but Brad Mojoplinko is a pretty damn good WR in his own right. Not to be underestimated. Lithuania U., one of the best ever at the school.

                              PlaygroundLegendP 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • jrb12711 jrb12711J Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 5k Posts
                                • 1k Reputation
                                jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                Coming from Charlotte, I can tell you a lot about Steve Smith and what he brings to a team. Here's what I love about the guy: he LOVES to play hard and compete when the team is doing well down here. He has a fiery attitude which really gets the crowd and fellow players into it. He loves contact and YAC

                                HOWEVER, it's clear to me over the past two years his age is getting to him. I just watched a local interview where he said after this season his goal was something along the lines of helping other players grow because he knows his best years are past him. And this year to me anyway, I saw a man who has completely given up. I know what you're thinking, the team is 1-12, but trust me the local press is all over him about it. I'm not even going to say it's not somewhat understandable, but it's still fairly inexcusable.

                                Overall, I agree with you guys. I say if he's still lingering around toward the start of training camp, I'm all for it. But he wouldn't be the first guy on my list by any means because I have a feeling he's going to want pretty good money.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • CLEVELandMILIDH C
                                  • 2k Posts
                                  • 52 Reputation
                                  C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  If you want a guy that celebrates when he catches a 7 yard pass on 3rd and 10, Smith's your guy. Me personally, I can't stand watching him play.

                                  1st Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU 3rd Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State4th Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma5th Earl Wolff, S, N.C. State6th Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • miktoxic miktoxicM
                                    • 13k Posts
                                    • 1k Reputation
                                    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    i really can't speak much on this topic except i know steve smith USED to be one of the fastest bad ass receivers in the league, but haven't heard too much of him since he broke his arm, what, a year ago?

                                    plus is he the type of presence mangini (yes you haters) MANGINI would want in the locker room considering what he's trying to build and with whom? i don't know.

                                    i agree with above posters that i'd rather have chad. i know he already has the respect of most cleveland fans (at least from what i've been able to see from afar......media and such).

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • slowburn slowburnS
                                      • 2k Posts
                                      • 116 Reputation
                                      slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by slowburn
                                      #18

                                      Gotta believe that an improved perception of Browns football throughout the league will pay dividends by putting it back on the FA map. Lets face it, recent history has had the team pretty far down on the list of

                                      potential opportunity for FA's (at least those serious about winning). Gonna be interesting to see who comes down the pike to to assist the Browns in their climb back to the top of the heap.

                                      Harry BuffaloH 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • slowburnS slowburn

                                        Gotta believe that an improved perception of Browns football throughout the league will pay dividends by putting it back on the FA map. Lets face it, recent history has had the team pretty far down on the list of

                                        potential opportunity for FA's (at least those serious about winning). Gonna be interesting to see who comes down the pike to to assist the Browns in their climb back to the top of the heap.

                                        Harry Buffalo Harry BuffaloH
                                        • 3k Posts
                                        • 241 Reputation
                                        Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        @slowburn said:

                                        Gotta believe that an improved perception of Browns football throughout the league will pay dividends by putting it back on the FA map. Lets face it, recent history has had the team pretty far down on the list of

                                        potential opportunity for FA's (at least those serious about winning). Gonna be interesting to see who comes down the pike to to assist the Browns in their climb back to the top of the heap.

                                        We have had players interested in winning show up here, well more like players. Scott Fujita came here because he likes playing for teams that are trying to turn it around. That's why he joined the Saint's and that's also why he didn't resign with them and came here.

                                        Ruining threads since 1897.
                                        slowburnS 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • BROWNandORANGE B
                                          • 496 Posts
                                          • 1 Reputation
                                          B BROWNandORANGE wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          mikeyP72 said:

                                          Vincent Jackson was really detrimental with those 3 TD's on TNF last night.

                                          IMO, holding out for 10 WEEKS is considerably detrimental to his team.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate