Skip to content

Bye Bye Mangini

Locked The Browns Board
583 96 35.7k
  • The real question is if they fire Mangini after this season who would actually want to risk coming here knowing that they only have 2 years to build a winner? Im sure there are tons of unproven people who would take a 2 year head coaching gig in the NFL over what they're doing now but would any respectable coach be willing to put his name on the line to try and turn us into a winner in only two short seasons?

  • Why exactly do people want fox i don't understand it.

    Also, can someone give a reason besides us not winning the SB in his 2nd year to why mangini needs to go.

  • Does everyone who wants mangini gone have their mind's made up. is there no way for him to show you he can be our coach in the long run. I don't see that in gruden. He's shown he will just get progressively worse over time.

    I just can't understand the need to get rid of coaches when they have to try and install their system. Name a great NFL coach who turned everything around in a year and showed he could do it with consistency.

  • i really can't believe that i am somehow associated with fans, of the team i will stand up and cheer for, thru thick and thin, good and bad (a fan to a point so much so as people at the 'social' gambino club i hung out with yesterday were asking me to leave cuz i was making such a scene) with you little MARYs that are just looking for reasons to whine..........man up, belly up and quit your FING bellyaching. holy shit! it's not like god and country asked you to raise up and actually contribute something positive to this post, thread or social conscienceness. how about a little xmas cheer? wozzy wozzy wah wah!! where's schleprock when you need him? lord knows he'd be better to hang out with than you snivvelin' little bastards.

    all you naysaying negative pricks:here's to you getting shit-canned after the first of the year!!!!! cheers!!

    what's the term? young dumb and full of DUMB?

  • Mangini should only be gone if Ryan takes a job as a head coach. Ryan is the only thing holding that staff together.

    Gruden is my only hope right now.

    @loyalty said:

    Gruden is my only hope right now.

    have you ever looked to jesus for salvation? (joke, friends). put the pipe down. things might turn around. look up, not down.

  • @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    Buddy,

    football players are human beings. You cannot expect the same results week in and week out. As teams develop an identity, a freaternity and a culture, they get better and better at minimizing the distractions and errors that prevent consistent play.

    When winning requires the entire team to be emotionally and physically near perfection, it is next to impossible to win with regularity. The wins you referred to happened because on those days everything was in line for the Browns.

    As you add talent, experience and confidence to the team, the irregularities in performance of individual players on any given day affect the team less and less.

    Right now, for the Browns to win, any individual let down pressures the entire team. We just don't have the talent, experience and confidence to overcome that right now.

    As I have said before, I abandoned the Lerner Browns for a long time because I didn't believe the team was building the proper core values. Call me emotional or whatever you want, but I believe in this team and in this organization. I even think Lerner finally gets it.

    This wishing for Gruden is not good. Let me ask you something; lets put aside the Superbowl he won, and let's put aside how afterwards his team degraded.

    Just let's talk about Gruden. What are the core values about him that make you want him? What is his legacy as far as behavior, principle and achievement? In all honestly? I sense more of that Lombardi loyalty brewing in Cleveland with Mangini, than I do from ex Gruden players.

    Be careful what you wish for.

    I want Mangini to stay.

    Ask yourself this much - What do you think Mangini's record would be if he had a shifty RB, a top WR and a bastard pass rusher added to this season? Do you not believe that most, if not all of these close losses would have been converted to wins?

    Ah, he is too conservative on offense? Fair enough, but as I see it, this team is on teh right track.

    I think gruden gets a bad rap when it comes to some of his x players. Simeon Rice called him a scumbag, cause he was released after being injured. Simeon was a popular player and it didnt go over well with some of the players im sure. It was a business move and was best for the team.

    When he coached in Oakland he was able to do what other coaches havent be able to do and that is win with a crappy owner. He is a fiery guy who is from the same tree as Holmgren. As far as the knock he cant develop young qbs, not really fair cause he only had Chris simms. He is an extremely smart guy, as is mangini.

    Let me ask you, do you really think Mangini is the guy to get us to a superbowl? Players in New York wore thin on his act. I think Mangini has so much going against him.

    @wrrebel said:

    He is a fiery guy who is from the same tree as Holmgren.

    you misspelled the word FAIRY

  • After catching up on the board this evening I decided that, as a public service, I would make a trip to the local Palm Reader's house to ascertain the future of the Browns. I've got good news and bad news.

    First the good news.

    Mangini stays, Daboll goes. Chucky comes to Cleveland. Holmgren names Chucky as head coach and Mangini volunteers to become the Offensive Coordinator. A.J Green and Julio Jones go crazy and get arrested for indecent exposure. Both choose community service in lieu of jail time and volunteer to come to Cleveland for free. Justin Blackmon is traded to Cleveland from the Redskins....just because he is deemed to have a poor cardiovascular system. Ryan Broyles is also drafted by the Browns to run in the slot. We also pick up 2 all pro offensive linemen. Someone from Cleveland beats up their dog and then drives him to Michael Vick's house and he has to leave Philly in the middle of the night. He comes to Cleveland because he has always like the Dawgpound. Several key defensive pickups also occur. Sal Alosi is hired for the sole purpose of strengthening the defense to ensure solid tackling at the end of all close games.

    Now the bad news. There is a lockout for all of 2011 so there are no games.

    Now more good news. Our 2012 draft is even stronger than the 2011. We are loaded for the 2012 season. The 18 game season gets implemented too. As of the middle of December we are UNDEFEATED and a lock for home field advantage throughout the playoff's. The entire NFL is envious of the Browns. In a big surprise, the Steelers franchise crashes and the entire team is moved, during the middle of the night, to Canton where they become the Canton Clowns. Their team colors are changed to pink and white. Big Ben has to retire from football when he gets too friendly with a polar bear at the Canton Zoo and suffers a horrific injury.

    Now for the really bad news. Those damn Mayans were right and the world ends on December 21, 2012 when there is a huge polar shift. The 2012 playoff's never happen. Only two people remain on earth and must repopulate the planet. Those two people are Jenn Sterger and Brett Favre.

    @longhorn said:

    First the good news.

    Mangini stays, Daboll goes. Chucky comes to Cleveland. Holmgren names Chucky as head coach and Mangini volunteers to become the Offensive Coordinator.

    i just threw up in my jaager. URP!!!! 😐

  • @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    This is a very good and frequently asked comment. So let's be fair about it. Guys like you and I really have the Jones for the Super bowl. We all do. But here is the unfair part of using the SB as a ruler. The SB is big, bold, glitzy, flashy, sexy and for 30 teams every year, unattainable.

    So really, if you were to put any coach on stage and ask the question......... "is the guy to get us to a super bowl", most coaches that haven't been there, probably would not elicit a huge YES from the fans. No disrespect meant, but really how can we say any man is the guy who will get us there?

    When you take a look at Mangini's press demeanor, he comes off as a polite, non-talkative guy. Not flashy, not boisterous. Judging the way we fans are conditioned by the media to think, maybe we can't see clearly.

    I always thought Cowher was a great coach. If he never won a SB I wouldn't think any less of him. Marty never made it to a SB, but does that make him a bad coach?

    I can flip this back on you. What would the Browns record be with Gruden coaching? Can you say without a doubt he would have done better than Mangini?

    Of the coaches you like, who do you think would have taken THIS Browns team to the SB?

    What is it that you feel Mangini hasn't done, that if he did, would have lead to more wins? Would this team be 10 - 4 with Gruden or Cowher? See, I don't think so.

    Another flip, what do you think our record would have been IF we had a flashy, explosive running back, a break away WR and a badass pass rusher and bone crushing shut down DB?

    According to the CB website we lost 8 football games by 7 points or less, and a bunch by 3 or 4.

    Yet one more flip............ if Mangini had a flashy RB, potent WR, badass DB and one more pass rusher, do you really think we would not have put more than 7 points on the board in most of, if not ALL of those 8 games? DO you also think that the added talent on D would not have lowered our opponents scores?

    From what I can see, the Mangini Browns were a few players away from reasonably being a 12 - 2 team this year.

    Final flip - You think Gruden would have been this consistent and disciplined with the talent we have?

    Can Mangini get us to the SB? I know this much, the guy has been consistently respectable and just a twat hair away from a bunch of wins.

    Firing this kid will be a mistake, and a huge one at that. The shakey, flakey condition of our management has made Mangini's status here unsure, at best. He has performed under a lot of clouds and doubts AND more importantly to remember, today's players aren't the most noble as a group. Point being, if some of them perceived that Mangini wasn't going to be here long, they may have either loafed, or in the case of the players who don't like him, maybe not given everything.

    Can he get us to the SB? He is a better coach and has more principles than Gruden. I don't believe Gruden would have held this team together.

    Again, if Mangini gets fired, we will live to regret it. I think this guy has championship values and a champion's heart. That's the important thing to find.

    agree 1000%. as others have said "the grass is always greener ".

    i know i can come off as being against gruden but i'm really not. i'm against the OMG we're not in the playoffs, fire the coach faction of our fan base. let the MFer sit down and stretch out, order a drink before you run him out of town already. geez imagine if these guys went into their new job and didn't know when to take out the fries when the bell rings......they'd be out whistling dixie before the sun hit their wives' ass down on the docks. imagine their 11 kids then.

    in all seriousness... let the guy fulfill his contract and let's see what he can do next year....with the draft, fa and all. next year: no playoffs....send him packing.

  • I like Mangini.

    Still the last two games are a terrible letdown and may well have cost him his job.

    Maybe as in the classical theater his tragic flaw was the betrayal of old King William back in New England.

    The"tragic flaw" means that because of a bad act early in the play, the character must die at the end no matter what his redemptive actions may be.

    Et tu, Eric?

    WSS

  • As much as I love what Vince Young did for the University of Texas, Colt McCoy is a far better choice for long-term QB for the Browns. Young has some serious maturity issues and is outstanding when he is on but his play has become inconsistent. He needs a strong QB coach that will take him on as a project and work on his personality issues. Jeff Fisher iss way overrated IMHO and needs to get a reality check in Tennessee.

    Mangini will stay I think or Holmgren will coach for a year in 2011. The poblem is that the Browns have too many holes to fill in one year so it is going to be VERY tough for them to become playoff calibre next year.

  • Wouldn't mind having John Fox.

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    Wouldn't mind having John Fox.

    Please NO, I watched him underachieve in Charlotte for six years.............andt AGAIN I repeat it is not Holmgren's MO to hire a defensive minded guy. He is going to bring in an offensive minded guy. Fox is defensive minded and three yards and cloud of dust and a loses. Why bring in a certified track record loser?

  • i'm pretty sure that holmgren won't coach. i don't see how one could be president of football operations and succesfully coach a team at the same time.

  • @clevelandbigdawg said:

    Clearly you didnt read the whole thing. It was a full of sarcasm. Somehow we get AJ Green, Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon and Ryan Broyles? Sounds like people should believe that, or that Vick will end up here.

    Come on man!

    you're right i skimmed. my bad! but with everything else that has been posted over the past few days, it is harder to distinguish sarcasm from stupidity...

    @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    you're right i skimmed. my bad! but with everything else that has been posted over the past few days, it is harder to distinguish sarcasm from stupidity...

    HAHA, so true.

  • >>Mangini will be gone and someone besides Holmgren will the coach and HE WILL BE OFFENSIVE MINDED................book it

    >>

    I am on record for questioning Mangini's ability to be a long-term and successful coach in the NFL. I saw his team quit on him in NY and he is very green in terms of head coaching material.

    This being said - and I have seen little of the Browns this year - what I have seen is a team coming together, a team playing competitively, albeit lacking a lot of NFL talent and a team, just maybe, on the cusp of being a good team in a really tough division.

    I believe he deserves another year.

    However, I wonder if Holmgren kept him around this year, simply because he didn't want to turn EVERYTHING upside down in one year. Maybe he thought Mangini could serve as a caretaker considering the team has a lot of holes to fill. Maybe he wants to bring in his own guy.

    I don't know but I do believe Mangini has done a job worthy of being brought back next year.

    It probably won't happen but I hope it does.

  • >>Mangini will be gone and someone besides Holmgren will the coach and HE WILL BE OFFENSIVE MINDED................book it

    >>

    I am on record for questioning Mangini's ability to be a long-term and successful coach in the NFL. I saw his team quit on him in NY and he is very green in terms of head coaching material.

    This being said - and I have seen little of the Browns this year - what I have seen is a team coming together, a team playing competitively, albeit lacking a lot of NFL talent and a team, just maybe, on the cusp of being a good team in a really tough division.

    I believe he deserves another year.

    However, I wonder if Holmgren kept him around this year, simply because he didn't want to turn EVERYTHING upside down in one year. Maybe he thought Mangini could serve as a caretaker considering the team has a lot of holes to fill. Maybe he wants to bring in his own guy.

    I don't know but I do believe Mangini has done a job worthy of being brought back next year.

    It probably won't happen but I hope it does.

    @chicopee-john said:

    >>Mangini will be gone and someone besides Holmgren will the coach and HE WILL BE OFFENSIVE MINDED................book it>>

    I am on record for questioning Mangini's ability to be a long-term and successful coach in the NFL. I saw his team quit on him in NY and he is very green in terms of head coaching material.

    This being said - and I have seen little of the Browns this year - what I have seen is a team coming together, a team playing competitively, albeit lacking a lot of NFL talent and a team, just maybe, on the cusp of being a good team in a really tough division.

    I believe he deserves another year.

    However, I wonder if Holmgren kept him around this year, simply because he didn't want to turn EVERYTHING upside down in one year. Maybe he thought Mangini could serve as a caretaker considering the team has a lot of holes to fill. Maybe he wants to bring in his own guy.

    I don't know but I do believe Mangini has done a job worthy of being brought back next year.

    It probably won't happen but I hope it does.

    Just my .02 I think Mangini needs to win one of the last two games to stick around- a repeat of last year's 5-11 probably won't be good enough, even though the team has played competitively.

    Yes, the Browns got shredded on the ground by the Bengals- but I'll listen to the crickets chirp while the Can-Gini crowd comes up with a Cleveland linebacker playing in that game who could start for the Steelers. Yes, Hillis was getting stopped, but McCoy has great options at WR no? Massaquoi MIGHT be able to beat out Shipley as the Bengals slot receiver.

    No, it's not all players- and I'm sure the conservative game planning has to grate on Holmgren. But we'll see what happens AFTER the season. To me it's laughable the way the "heave ho, Mangini's gotta go" chorus cranks up after every loss.

  • Add Bud Shaw to Steve D. as writers who think Holmgren will be lured to the sideline by Colt McCoy... then turn the program over to Gruden in 2012.

    I know I'm teeing myself up again... but I think this debate ended the second the Browns lost to the Bills and Bengals to go to 5-9, especially with McCoy and Hillis questioning the team's motivation. Mangini was coaching for his job and most were surprised he was retained... and even a split of the last two games would put the Browns at 6-10. Marla Ridnour says her sources tell her there may not be an official number, but that ain't it (to paraphrase Yogi Berra).

    I think the notion of the Browns maintaining continuity by only removing Mangini is a possibility that might appeal to Holmgren. No new hires. He slides into the HC position, Haskell slides into OC, and we move forward as a WCO team and a 3-4 team.

    Let's be real, though: It would be unusual. It's more likely that Holmgren dumps everybody.

  • @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    This is a very good and frequently asked comment. So let's be fair about it. Guys like you and I really have the Jones for the Super bowl. We all do. But here is the unfair part of using the SB as a ruler. The SB is big, bold, glitzy, flashy, sexy and for 30 teams every year, unattainable.

    So really, if you were to put any coach on stage and ask the question......... "is the guy to get us to a super bowl", most coaches that haven't been there, probably would not elicit a huge YES from the fans. No disrespect meant, but really how can we say any man is the guy who will get us there?

    When you take a look at Mangini's press demeanor, he comes off as a polite, non-talkative guy. Not flashy, not boisterous. Judging the way we fans are conditioned by the media to think, maybe we can't see clearly.

    I always thought Cowher was a great coach. If he never won a SB I wouldn't think any less of him. Marty never made it to a SB, but does that make him a bad coach?

    I can flip this back on you. What would the Browns record be with Gruden coaching? Can you say without a doubt he would have done better than Mangini?

    Of the coaches you like, who do you think would have taken THIS Browns team to the SB?

    What is it that you feel Mangini hasn't done, that if he did, would have lead to more wins? Would this team be 10 - 4 with Gruden or Cowher? See, I don't think so.

    Another flip, what do you think our record would have been IF we had a flashy, explosive running back, a break away WR and a badass pass rusher and bone crushing shut down DB?

    According to the CB website we lost 8 football games by 7 points or less, and a bunch by 3 or 4.

    Yet one more flip............ if Mangini had a flashy RB, potent WR, badass DB and one more pass rusher, do you really think we would not have put more than 7 points on the board in most of, if not ALL of those 8 games? DO you also think that the added talent on D would not have lowered our opponents scores?

    From what I can see, the Mangini Browns were a few players away from reasonably being a 12 - 2 team this year.

    Final flip - You think Gruden would have been this consistent and disciplined with the talent we have?

    Can Mangini get us to the SB? I know this much, the guy has been consistently respectable and just a twat hair away from a bunch of wins.

    Firing this kid will be a mistake, and a huge one at that. The shakey, flakey condition of our management has made Mangini's status here unsure, at best. He has performed under a lot of clouds and doubts AND more importantly to remember, today's players aren't the most noble as a group. Point being, if some of them perceived that Mangini wasn't going to be here long, they may have either loafed, or in the case of the players who don't like him, maybe not given everything.

    Can he get us to the SB? He is a better coach and has more principles than Gruden. I don't believe Gruden would have held this team together.

    Again, if Mangini gets fired, we will live to regret it. I think this guy has championship values and a champion's heart. That's the important thing to find.

    Very good insight.. I must say I am not sure Gruden would have been the right coach this year. Im not sold on Gruden being a guy who can handle the rebuilding process. He is more the sexy, hoo ra ra coach.. I do beleive with the peices in place he is a very good coach and can maximize his talent.

    When you ask what would mangini have done with a star WR, a pass rusher.. Im really not sure.. Thats what scares me on Mangini..

    Let me ask you, what happens if mangini stays next year and we have another below 500 season? What would be your expectations with Mangini 3rd year?

    a 3rd year under mangini in which we have 6 or less wins would really put us back. It wouldnt only be Mangini taking heat but now the Heckert and Holmgren.

  • @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    This is a very good and frequently asked comment. So let's be fair about it. Guys like you and I really have the Jones for the Super bowl. We all do. But here is the unfair part of using the SB as a ruler. The SB is big, bold, glitzy, flashy, sexy and for 30 teams every year, unattainable.

    So really, if you were to put any coach on stage and ask the question......... "is the guy to get us to a super bowl", most coaches that haven't been there, probably would not elicit a huge YES from the fans. No disrespect meant, but really how can we say any man is the guy who will get us there?

    When you take a look at Mangini's press demeanor, he comes off as a polite, non-talkative guy. Not flashy, not boisterous. Judging the way we fans are conditioned by the media to think, maybe we can't see clearly.

    I always thought Cowher was a great coach. If he never won a SB I wouldn't think any less of him. Marty never made it to a SB, but does that make him a bad coach?

    I can flip this back on you. What would the Browns record be with Gruden coaching? Can you say without a doubt he would have done better than Mangini?

    Of the coaches you like, who do you think would have taken THIS Browns team to the SB?

    What is it that you feel Mangini hasn't done, that if he did, would have lead to more wins? Would this team be 10 - 4 with Gruden or Cowher? See, I don't think so.

    Another flip, what do you think our record would have been IF we had a flashy, explosive running back, a break away WR and a badass pass rusher and bone crushing shut down DB?

    According to the CB website we lost 8 football games by 7 points or less, and a bunch by 3 or 4.

    Yet one more flip............ if Mangini had a flashy RB, potent WR, badass DB and one more pass rusher, do you really think we would not have put more than 7 points on the board in most of, if not ALL of those 8 games? DO you also think that the added talent on D would not have lowered our opponents scores?

    From what I can see, the Mangini Browns were a few players away from reasonably being a 12 - 2 team this year.

    Final flip - You think Gruden would have been this consistent and disciplined with the talent we have?

    Can Mangini get us to the SB? I know this much, the guy has been consistently respectable and just a twat hair away from a bunch of wins.

    Firing this kid will be a mistake, and a huge one at that. The shakey, flakey condition of our management has made Mangini's status here unsure, at best. He has performed under a lot of clouds and doubts AND more importantly to remember, today's players aren't the most noble as a group. Point being, if some of them perceived that Mangini wasn't going to be here long, they may have either loafed, or in the case of the players who don't like him, maybe not given everything.

    Can he get us to the SB? He is a better coach and has more principles than Gruden. I don't believe Gruden would have held this team together.

    Again, if Mangini gets fired, we will live to regret it. I think this guy has championship values and a champion's heart. That's the important thing to find.

    agree 1000%. as others have said "the grass is always greener ".

    i know i can come off as being against gruden but i'm really not. i'm against the OMG we're not in the playoffs, fire the coach faction of our fan base. let the MFer sit down and stretch out, order a drink before you run him out of town already. geez imagine if these guys went into their new job and didn't know when to take out the fries when the bell rings......they'd be out whistling dixie before the sun hit their wives' ass down on the docks. imagine their 11 kids then.

    in all seriousness... let the guy fulfill his contract and let's see what he can do next year....with the draft, fa and all. next year: no playoffs....send him packing.

    @miktoxic said:

    agree 1000%. as others have said "the grass is always greener ".

    i know i can come off as being against gruden but i'm really not. i'm against the OMG we're not in the playoffs, fire the coach faction of our fan base. let the MFer sit down and stretch out, order a drink before you run him out of town already. geez imagine if these guys went into their new job and didn't know when to take out the fries when the bell rings......they'd be out whistling dixie before the sun hit their wives' ass down on the docks. imagine their 11 kids then.

    in all seriousness... let the guy fulfill his contract and let's see what he can do next year....with the draft, fa and all. next year: no playoffs....send him packing.

    Im not sure I follow alot of your arguments. No one here said play offs. I think we were thinking 7 or 8 wins.

    You also talk a whole bunch about guys not giving enough time to turn things around. So since we have been back in the league, who have we run out of town??

    Romeo, Butch Davis, Chris Palmer??? Really, your telling me if we stuck we any of these bafoons we would be a solid team now?

    Its like this, what if you were driving in the wrong direction but have already turned around a couple of times.. Would you keep on driving hoping you made it to your destination? If you feel Mangini is the guy then you keep him, if you dont then you replace him.

    Its not at black and white as that, but to stay the course for the purpose of stability is just a foolish argument.

  • I heard we were looking at Tim Couch for the HC job.

  • I also feel that McCoy will have a better NFL career than Vince Young and i dono about Fisher as well just wanted to get your take on it, i do not believe Holmgerm will step down and become HC i just dont see it happening maybe they bring in someone new but id like to see mangini get one more year to put a couple more of the peices of the puzzle togehter