Skip to content

Bye Bye Mangini

Locked The Browns Board
583 96 35.7k
  • @shepwrite said:

    Fred G. at OBR just wrote that he believes Holmgren will coach the Browns next year. He recently repeated that he does want to coach again... and let's face it: Hiring Gruden sets that back at least 2-3 years (in the event of failure) when Holmgren would be 65.

    He also points to McCoy, whom Holmgren personally drafted after discussing his fit for the WCO. He also mentioned Holmgren's stated frustration with the more plodding offensive style of Daboll, preferring a higher octane attack.

    Finally, he said if the Browns were the Chiefs, 9-5 in year two of an equally massive rebuilding process, he'd remain as coach. Teams turn around dramatically in two years... even one. Remember that the Rams were 1-15 last year and the Chiefs were god awful, too.

    But the Browns are 5-9, coming off a couple very ugly losses, and team leaders are questioning motivation.

    Holmgren and Haskell stepping into coaching roles almost seems like it might have been the plan all along, preventing any sense of "starting over," because they're already in the building.

    I for one would love to see the Browns press defenses a little, attack and keep attacking. I'd be pretty stoked.

    sources?

    @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    sources?

    sorry let me be more specific.. do you have a link to this? even though it is just one guy's opinion.. and when has holmgren said he wants to coach again?

  • We need Cribbs to be a championship contending team

  • I love Josh Cribbs, however, nobody plays forever, and kick returners have the shortest lifetime of all.

    I wish some folks would actually try to read what is said and the reasons behind it.

    As for Cribbs he had great value last year. Now he has little value so the subject of trading him is now a mute point.

    I hope he has a great season next year. He may have one or two good years left

  • @shepwrite said:

    Fred G. at OBR just wrote that he believes Holmgren will coach the Browns next year. He recently repeated that he does want to coach again... and let's face it: Hiring Gruden sets that back at least 2-3 years (in the event of failure) when Holmgren would be 65.

    He also points to McCoy, whom Holmgren personally drafted after discussing his fit for the WCO. He also mentioned Holmgren's stated frustration with the more plodding offensive style of Daboll, preferring a higher octane attack.

    Finally, he said if the Browns were the Chiefs, 9-5 in year two of an equally massive rebuilding process, he'd remain as coach. Teams turn around dramatically in two years... even one. Remember that the Rams were 1-15 last year and the Chiefs were god awful, too.

    But the Browns are 5-9, coming off a couple very ugly losses, and team leaders are questioning motivation.

    Holmgren and Haskell stepping into coaching roles almost seems like it might have been the plan all along, preventing any sense of "starting over," because they're already in the building.

    I for one would love to see the Browns press defenses a little, attack and keep attacking. I'd be pretty stoked.

    sources?

    @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    sources?

    Huh? I said it was Fred G. at OBR, and he asked Holmgren himself if he wanted to coach again. After "dodging" a lot, he said what amounted to "yes," in Fred's words. Holmgren's feelings about the offense were published everywhere off his press conference during the bye week. It's also the first time he said he was itching to coach again.

    Is that what you meant?

  • @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    sources?

    sorry let me be more specific.. do you have a link to this? even though it is just one guy's opinion.. and when has holmgren said he wants to coach again?

    @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    sorry let me be more specific.. do you have a link to this? even though it is just one guy's opinion.. and when has holmgren said he wants to coach again?

    Made a big stink when he said it in his bye week presser. Some people here and at the other board weren't real happy with him... said it was disrespectful to Mangini. Then he apparently just said it again to Greatham.

  • I love Josh Cribbs, however, nobody plays forever, and kick returners have the shortest lifetime of all.

    I wish some folks would actually try to read what is said and the reasons behind it.

    As for Cribbs he had great value last year. Now he has little value so the subject of trading him is now a mute point.

    I hope he has a great season next year. He may have one or two good years left

    @rich4eagle said:

    I love Josh Cribbs, however, no plays forever, and kick returners have the shortest lifetime of all.

    I wish some folks would actually try to read what is said and the reasons behind it.

    As for Cribbs he had great value last year. Now he has little value so the subject of trading him is now a mute point.

    I hope he has a great season next year. He may have one or two good years left

    I really wish they could start him at RB a few times. Just to see how he does. I know he wont last that long doing what he does now but they also had like 2 or 3 other people return kicks this year even when he wasnt injured. I would wait until next season is over before I would even think about trading him unless I got a phone call and someone offered something I couldn't refuse lol

  • Running back?

    Yeah and I wish they would start colt mccoy at wr

  • Running back?

    Yeah and I wish they would start colt mccoy at wr

    @wrrebel said:

    Running back?

    Yeah and I wish they would start colt mccoy at wr

    Now if I seen McCoy catch a 60 yard pass in double coverage and take it all the way to the endzone I would say give him a shot at the position and I know you would to.

    If the Cribbs can run the ball 90 yards for a td on a kickoff return while breaking 10 tackles then why not try him at rb? Unless this is the first season you started watching the Browns then you should know what that dude can do.

    McCoy at wr is different then Cribbs at rb. It's apples to oranges but then again you also think Gruden is the answer for the Browns so that doesn't say much now does it?

  • Well... Gruden has a better record than all but 4 current coaches and a Super Bowl ring.

  • @wrrebel said:

    Running back?

    Yeah and I wish they would start colt mccoy at wr

    Now if I seen McCoy catch a 60 yard pass in double coverage and take it all the way to the endzone I would say give him a shot at the position and I know you would to.

    If the Cribbs can run the ball 90 yards for a td on a kickoff return while breaking 10 tackles then why not try him at rb? Unless this is the first season you started watching the Browns then you should know what that dude can do.

    McCoy at wr is different then Cribbs at rb. It's apples to oranges but then again you also think Gruden is the answer for the Browns so that doesn't say much now does it?

    @speedyd900rr said:

    Now if I seen McCoy catch a 60 yard pass in double coverage and take it all the way to the endzone I would say give him a shot at the position and I know you would to.

    If the Cribbs can run the ball 90 yards for a td on a kickoff return while breaking 10 tackles then why not try him at rb? Unless this is the first season you started watching the Browns then you should know what that dude can do.

    McCoy at wr is different then Cribbs at rb. It's apples to oranges but then again you also think Gruden is the answer for the Browns so that doesn't say much now does it?

    Well I am sure your theory would work in Pee Wee football.

    In the NFL being a good kick returner doesnt make you a good RB. Actually Cribbs would be a aweful RB, mine as well put Hodges at kick returner huh? Since he broke off that long run on the punt.

    Your last comment, I am not sure I should even touch.. Your saying that since I think Gruden would be a better option than Mangini, that you cant take me seriously?

    Really? Really??? I will say this only once, anyone who wants to compare mangini and gruden please do a little research.. All i ever hear is Gruden won with dungy's team (at least he won).. I never knew Dungy coached in Oakland...

    Also please tell me what team Mangini has won with..

    Jon Gruden wanted me to wish you all a Merry Christmas!

  • @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    sorry let me be more specific.. do you have a link to this? even though it is just one guy's opinion.. and when has holmgren said he wants to coach again?

    Made a big stink when he said it in his bye week presser. Some people here and at the other board weren't real happy with him... said it was disrespectful to Mangini. Then he apparently just said it again to Greatham.

    @shepwrite said:

    Made a big stink when he said it in his bye week presser. Some people here and at the other board weren't real happy with him... said it was disrespectful to Mangini. Then he apparently just said it again to Greatham.

    Until I hear if from Holmgren's mouth I call B.S... It is all just speculation cuz the media hates Mangini...

  • @shepwrite said:

    Made a big stink when he said it in his bye week presser. Some people here and at the other board weren't real happy with him... said it was disrespectful to Mangini. Then he apparently just said it again to Greatham.

    Until I hear if from Holmgren's mouth I call B.S... It is all just speculation cuz the media hates Mangini...

    @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    Until I hear if from Holmgren's mouth I call B.S... It is all just speculation cuz the media hates Mangini...

    Actually it has little to do with hate and more to do with twice as many losses than wins in 2 seasons.

    I really don't get it? Blaming it on the media for mangini short comings..

    Mangini is done, put a fork in him.. I'm sure he will land some where as a ball boy..

    You will hear it from holmgrens mouth after the steeler game, on that Tuesday..

  • Holmgren's presser did come from Holmgren's mouth. He said he still has the itch to coach. He also talked about the differences between "his" offense and Daboll's. He had a lot on his mind.

  • @mark-o said:

    Rogers I wouldn't disagree with that we should've traded but on a team void of playmakers espeically on offense, this teams needs Cribbs. He's a big part of the reason why the offense has struggled in the last few weeks. The defense has to account for him when he's on the field and it's hurt the offfense when he has been hurt.

    Mark, I have serious reasons why I said it was time to trade Cribbs last spring. He is one of my favorite Browns players ever because of playing style and propensity to make long returns. However, I am more pragmatic that a cheeleader.

    I wanted to move Cribbs because of the positions he played and his skill set. He could never be a great RB or WR or QB. Thus, he is just a role player at those positions. He entered this year as the PREMIER returner in the NFL. History says guys do not have long careers at premier returners. They usually are mostly used up by the fourth or fifth year. That is where Cribbs is and I expected a huge drop off this year(which now has occurred) and proclaimed he will never be even close again to approach what happened last year. Thus, I would have traded him last sprng if we could have gotten a third round pick.

    My feeling going into this season was that the Browns were way short on offensive talent and at best could achieve 8-8. Thus Cribbs would be one year older when we finally were capable of competing in 2011. So I would have liked to see two youngs guys on the upside coming into replace he and Rogers before this season. Rogers essentially has no value now and Josh's value is way down and his ability do what he has in the past will greatly diminish. Maybe they can redo him to be used like Kevin Faulk was used for years at NE. Right now I am no longer interested in trading him as his value greatly declined. Rogers I would take what I can get, anything.

    @rich4eagle said:

    Mark, I have serious reasons why I said it was time to trade Cribbs last spring. He is one of my favorite Browns players ever because of playing style and propensity to make long returns. However, I am more pragmatic that a cheeleader.

    I wanted to move Cribbs because of the positions he played and his skill set. He could never be a great RB or WR or QB. Thus, he is just a role player at those positions. He entered this year as the PREMIER returner in the NFL. History says guys do not have long careers at premier returners. They usually are mostly used up by the fourth or fifth year. That is where Cribbs is and I expected a huge drop off this year(which now has occurred) and proclaimed he will never be even close again to approach what happened last year. Thus, I would have traded him last sprng if we could have gotten a third round pick.

    My feeling going into this season was that the Browns were way short on offensive talent and at best could achieve 8-8. Thus Cribbs would be one year older when we finally were capable of competing in 2011. So I would have liked to see two youngs guys on the upside coming into replace he and Rogers before this season. Rogers essentially has no value now and Josh's value is way down and his ability do what he has in the past will greatly diminish. Maybe they can redo him to be used like Kevin Faulk was used for years at NE. Right now I am no longer interested in trading him as his value greatly declined. Rogers I would take what I can get, anything.

    I disagree on Cribbs, he was better than a role player at WR..he was definitely improving and was creating matchup problems for defenses until he got hurt in the Jets game.

    The logic makes sense though in that the team wasn't going to the playoffs this season and we had the opportunity to move guys with high value in order to get more players down the road when the team is ready to make the jump to the next level.

  • And its sealed folks. Mangini just bought his ticket out of Cleveland.

  • And its sealed folks. Mangini just bought his ticket out of Cleveland.

    @theclevelandsound said:

    And its sealed folks. Mangini just bought his ticket out of Cleveland.

    the same things we complain about in regards to mangini are the same exact things that jets fans were complaining about when he coached the jets. i think you'll agree that this isn't about hating mangini. it's all about hating his stubborn ways and his refusal to change his counter-productive style of gameday coaching. yes, mangini has the browns more disciplined than they've been in the past. that's nice, but if it doesn't equate to wins then is it really all that some people are pumping it up to be?

    some browns fans are so pathetic that they'll except shit as long as it doesn't stink as bad as the shit they're used to. that, my friend, is the bottom line to all of this.

  • @theclevelandsound said:

    And its sealed folks. Mangini just bought his ticket out of Cleveland.

    the same things we complain about in regards to mangini are the same exact things that jets fans were complaining about when he coached the jets. i think you'll agree that this isn't about hating mangini. it's all about hating his stubborn ways and his refusal to change his counter-productive style of gameday coaching. yes, mangini has the browns more disciplined than they've been in the past. that's nice, but if it doesn't equate to wins then is it really all that some people are pumping it up to be?

    some browns fans are so pathetic that they'll except shit as long as it doesn't stink as bad as the shit they're used to. that, my friend, is the bottom line to all of this.

    @sj_browns said:

    the same things we complain about in regards to mangini are the same exact things that jets fans were complaining about when he coached the jets. i think you'll agree that this isn't about hating mangini. it's all about hating his stubborn ways and his refusal to change his counter-productive style of gameday coaching. yes, mangini has the browns more disciplined than they've been in the past. that's nice, but if it doesn't equate to wins then is it really all that some people are pumping it up to be?

    some browns fans are so pathetic that they'll except shit as long as it doesn't stink as bad as the shit they're used to. that, my friend, is the bottom line to all of this.

    I agree 100%. I dont care if we have mass murderers on our team (figuratively) as long as they win. I love Mangini as a person. As a coach, as one New Yorker once said, "He is kind of boring".

  • I bet even with his weight loss, gruden looks better naked than mangini

  • Mangini is destined to be a lifelong mediocre coach and i would prefer it be somewhere other than cleveland, now the big concern is did lerner make the right hire in holmgren and will holmgren take care of the browns business or are we going to have to ummm tolorate mangini practicing coaching 101 on the cleveland browns sideline for another year before giving him the axe..

    Enough of the nice fair guy stuff mikey, its time to get to work and fix this fricken mess!

    At this point in time one has to question anyone lerner hires until they prove themselves, randy has an insidiously bad record of bad hires...

    Pressure needs to be applied to the bleeding wound or the bandage wont hold and the bleeding wont stop lerner is that wound and should be the target of fan pressure if holmgren fails to resolve this teams problems again..