2009 Prospects: Rulon Davis DE Cal
-
What do you think about Rulon Davis?
Rulon is a 6'5 280lb DE for Cal. Playing against UM tonight in the Emerald Bowl 8pm EST. Think he would be a good addition for our team? http://www.rulonthebeast.com
-
-
Here's what I wrote about him in the Prospects to Watch thread:
- Rulon Davis, DE, #94
- 6'5", 282 lbs., 4.97 40 (e)
- Projected: UDFA
- Durability concerns, along with Rulon being older than the average prospect (he's 25), make him a late round/UDFA type. But if he can stay healthy, he could develop into a solid 3-4 DE. Could be a real sleeper.
And here's an interesting article about Rulon's struggles staying healthy.
- Rulon Davis, DE, #94
-
Been trying to key on Rulon Davis tonight (as well as 4-5 other Cal defenders).
From what I've seen, Davis has marginal strength for a 3-4 DE. For the most part, he's been easily handled by one blocker on run downs. Maybe that could be corrected by a year spent in an NFL weight room, but I'm concerned that he may be maxed out physically - he's already 25 years old.
However, I still see much of what made me impressed with Rulon in the first place: great athleticism for his size, as well as some solid pass-rushing skills. So I still think he could be a diamond in the rough for someone, possibly in a one-gap 3-4 scheme.
He reminds me a lot of Leger Douzable, a UDFA who turned heads in Vikings camp last summer & is now a reserve for the Giants. I wouldn't mind seeing either of those guys make it onto our roster next season.
-
Btw, a great game for Zack Follet: 11 tackles (at least one for loss) and 2 sacks.
He plays OLB in Cal's 3-4 scheme, but he'll likely move inside in the NFL.
nfldraftscout projects he'll be selected in Round 3. If he drops due to poor workouts, I wouldn't mind seeing us take him in Round 4.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login